Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I went to a Blue Jays game this summer when we were staying out in Markham. We ended up Ubering downtown nearish the stadium and then walking which wasn't too bad but it's very clearly setup for public transit into that area directly, I wouldn't want to even try parking down there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

bawfuls posted:

That whole saga was nuts. Really underscores how all these rich assholes are focused entirely on their own tiny bubble of convenience and nothing else.

How? How many people drive to Jays games? That stadium is extremely well located at the center of both the urban and regional transit networks. They could shut all car traffic down within several miles and still draw 40k+ to a weekend game.

How it impacts the Jays in reality? No idea. Probably not at all. I was just throwing out one possible idea.

In regards to who drives to games; I would assume it's not that many because the traffic in Toronto is horrible.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I can't imagine more than 15% or so of people are driving to those games. And of that, only half are using that route. Its like 5-10% of Jays fans effected, its loving nothing.

Also, driving to the game isn't even the real problem its LEAVING the game that fuckin blows if you drive. It takes forever to get out because of all the pedestrian traffic, you're insane if you drive.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I mean, any actual effects are not as important as this being yet another front in the War on Cars. It's the same poo poo as the guy on King Street claiming that the streetcar lane had killed his business when all the data said that business was up for literally everyone in the area.

I'm curious to see what sort of fan blowback this gets Shapiro because I think there's a very real possibility (no idea how significant, mind you) this forces him out.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

mcmagic posted:

Because he's making met fans have a good time.

I meant making "investor class mad"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sydin posted:

Very surprised the Yankees didn't bring back Carpenter, I mean look at this:

I've made jokes about Rizzo but Carpenter is absolutely the definitive short porch king

I thought he could be a weird LF option but there’s been like no talk of it from the Yankee world. Ultimately they seem to see Cabrera as the utility guy and have enough questionable infielders. And I guess the LF thing was never really a believable option since they probably still want to emphasize defense. Ultimately just no room.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

STAC Goat posted:

I thought he could be a weird LF option but there’s been like no talk of it from the Yankee world. Ultimately they seem to see Cabrera as the utility guy and have enough questionable infielders. And I guess the LF thing was never really a believable option since they probably still want to emphasize defense. Ultimately just no room.

Cabrera is a very questionable defender. I'm not sure how putting him in LF for extended periods of time is going to work out... I don't think he'll hit enough to make up for it either.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Alright “The Umpire Strikes Back” is a good buy. Here’s a sample:

In the fourth inning of one of the first night games I ever worked, for example, the home-team manager came up to me at home plate and said, “It’s getting pretty dark, don’t you think?” I thought he was just trying to be friendly and I appreciated it. Since I’ve always been pretty good at telling the difference between day and night, I could see he was right, it was getting dark.
“It sure is,” I agreed.
Two innings later he came back and said a bit more firmly, “It’s really getting dark now.”
I nodded. “Sure is.”
He was back an inning later, and said, “Don’t you think we need the lights?”
“Boy, I’ll say,” I agreed. “I can hardly see out there.” “Well?”
“What?”
“Why don’t you turn them on?”

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

2 years 12 million. Good signing for a contender. Huge upside based on last year's home run binge, and if he sucks you just cut him.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/DefiniteExpert/status/1605273098076696576

I love this genre

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

2 years 12 million. Good signing for a contender. Huge upside based on last year's home run binge, and if he sucks you just cut him.
Yankee Stadium Balls

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 20, 2022

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

All I'm hearing is there's a massive asterisk to Judge's AL Home Run Record.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/1605284495879557123?s=46&t=QeoQv9xIBfNA4ePOgLvYCQ

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

That's not staggering that's what other teams should be paying.

What's staggering is the vast majority of other teams participate in this luxury tax charade.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

GalacticAcid posted:

I’ve heard that he’s just sick. But grain of salt it’s not confirmed

https://twitter.com/susanslusser/status/1605239330137677826

I thought maybe it was because of the earthquake this morning.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
nice, he was really good last year

with him, DRob and Díaz the back end of the bullpen looks really good

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bawfuls posted:

Yankee Stadium Balls

I mean he has 3 mod homeruns in 30 or so less ABs at home. But he also has more doubles and walks and less strikeouts. So I dunno. “Short porch” obviously benefited him but seems like an easy answer. He just hit better at home. And not looking at the game logs I’d guess some of that has to do with his post injury struggle.

I still don’t know what Carpenter will be in ‘23 but I don’t think it’s near as cut and dry.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
giants are just finding out about the trash cans

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

cool, I love ill omens. was there a distant peal of thunder, too?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kirios posted:

That's not staggering that's what other teams should be paying.

What's staggering is the vast majority of other teams participate in this luxury tax charade.
Agreed; teams are getting like $30 million this offseason alone for the sale of MLBAM

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

General Bullshit posted:

https://twitter.com/susanslusser/status/1605239330137677826

I thought maybe it was because of the earthquake this morning.

https://twitter.com/AP_Sports/status/1605296154631196673

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
giants saved from themselves?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

They must've found the buzzer embedded under his skin

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Hachi Machi! I thought all the high drama was over for the winter, too!

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Giants team doctors unable to recognize that dawg in Carlos, leading him to have off the charts willingness to win levels

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Hundreds of albatrosses descend on Oracle Park as Correa arrives. Biologists baffled.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I can't imagine anything but a slight reworking to the deal is going to happen unless Correa is missing a vertebrae.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I can't imagine anything but a slight reworking to the deal is going to happen unless Correa is missing a vertebrae.

What if his vertebrae was replaced with a buzzer?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Damnit the video didn't show the title properly NM!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
All the SAS jokes about Correa having fragile bird bones have willed something into existence

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
[laughs in Swanson]

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

gonna be honest I forgot Ottavino existed, much less had a very good year for the Mets

e: all the buzzer jokes and yet if Correa had replaced a vertebrae with a buzzer and no one knew there's no way the giants would care about finding it :colbert:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

gonna be honest I forgot Ottavino existed, much less had a very good year for the Mets

He's the poster child for the wild swings of reliever inconsistency: it's basically a coinflip every year whether Ottavino is unhittable or unusable.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Stethoscope indicated he has an off-speed heartbeat.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

He had an unauthorized medical procedure done so that he could mock Darvish with more subtlety.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

Hundreds of albatrosses descend on Oracle Park as Correa arrives. Biologists baffled.
how are you anything short of ecstatic about this signing???

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

He had an unauthorized medical procedure done so that he could mock Darvish with more subtlety.
that was Gurriel

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm going to wager that the Giants insisted on a ridiculously thorough physical and accompanying battery of screenings and tests considering they're making a 13 year commitment, and when you throw that much at somebody something is going to turn up. Like yeah idk maybe they found out he has some horrible degenerative condition that derails the whole signing but more likely they found a bunch of little things and are now trying to see if they can get Correa's camp to come down on the ask a bit.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I would assume that although the delay in the press conference suggests something they didn't expect came up. Like maybe its just negotiation but that's pretty public, messy negotiation.

I don't imagine he's hiding some secret terribly injury that will cost him the contract. But I am kinda curious what comes up and what it does to his money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I also doubt that Correa is going to come off the price much. He'll just sign with the Mets or the Twins instead.