Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

I just don’t understand how he can think the Babylon Bee is funny

Like when he bought Twitter one of the things that particularly upset him about the previous ownership is that they banned the Bee

They're making jokes about his critics instead of making jokes about him. That's all it really takes.

The Onion and Hard Drive both regularly mocked the hell out of him, even before the Twitter purchase. Meanwhile, the Babylon Bee have been giant Musk fanboys for years.

While the Onion was joking about Teslas catching fire, the Babylon Bee was writing fanfiction about Musk sending "bulletproof flamethrower tanks from the future that can go 500 miles on a single charge" to Ukraine just to prove that he could do things way better than any government could. Wasn't actually funny in the slightest, because they were so busy praising him they forgot to tell a joke, but I suspect Musk's happy with it anyway!

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1438939019925151746
https://twitter.com/TheBabylonBee/status/1500154176524881920

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

I just don’t understand how he can think the Babylon Bee is funny

Like when he bought Twitter one of the things that particularly upset him about the previous ownership is that they banned the Bee

Have you seen the conservative comedy scene? It's pretty dire.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

They're making jokes about his critics instead of making jokes about him. That's all it really takes.

The Onion and Hard Drive both regularly mocked the hell out of him, even before the Twitter purchase. Meanwhile, the Babylon Bee have been giant Musk fanboys for years.

While the Onion was joking about Teslas catching fire, the Babylon Bee was writing fanfiction about Musk sending "bulletproof flamethrower tanks from the future that can go 500 miles on a single charge" to Ukraine just to prove that he could do things way better than any government could. Wasn't actually funny in the slightest, because they were so busy praising him they forgot to tell a joke, but I suspect Musk's happy with it anyway!

(Meanwhile Twitter has broken phone 2-FA for people with Ukrainian phone numbers)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Oh, hey, I guess the Bee does have more than the one joke.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The Bee used to be an fairly innocuous "The Onion but specifically for church-goers" and apparently had some good ones in that regard, they're definitely "The Onion but Ben Shapiro" now tho

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Yeah, I remember it being funny because it was making fun of known material. Like the really specific Onion articles making fun of a place where it's 100% clear it was written by someone who's actually been there.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

you know i really thought elon was doing that poll as cover for what he actually planned on doing, but the incredible levels of Not Mad that have been erupting from his tweets since then have me convinced that he actually expected to win the poll, probably overwhelmingly

which just owns, poor baby went to twitter for affirmation and it utterly shat on him and now tesla stock continues tumbling

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Again, we really need to be clear that Musk is a pathological narcissist. There's not actually a person in there, just a bottomless pit sucking in attention and praise.

When people say 'billionaires aren't people', it's because there genuinely does need to be something deeply, badly wrong with you for you to spend your life engaging in the sort of deeply antisocial behaviour that a fortune that gigantic is founded on.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/freddurst/status/1605230741826129920?s=20&t=AXIXu1x-MQy8eqiujaOcVw

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I hope this was all worth it for the lulz Elon

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1605324741086023682?s=20&t=j-GIXDP53aB7G4SszT58Yw

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Owning the libs by no longer owning at least $5 billion that I woke up with this morning.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Looks like Hotz is out.
https://twitter.com/realGeorgeHotz/status/1605341207109939201

A little perspective before he hopped on.
https://twitter.com/realGeorgeHotz/status/1592955427179765760

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

I...What is he trying to say here? Is he being sarcastic? Is this ironic respect? Or is he serious?

Also, what the gently caress does Fred Durst think he's gonna do for Elon if this is serious? Is he gonna play old Limp Bizkit songs in the elevators to replace the elevator music? Like, what the gently caress?

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Archonex posted:

I...What is he trying to say here? Is he being sarcastic? Is this ironic respect? Or is he serious?

Also, what the gently caress does Fred Durst think he's gonna do for Elon if this is serious? Is he gonna play old Limp Bizkit songs in the elevators to replace the elevator music? Like, what the gently caress?

His feed's full of NFT stuff so I'd guess he's just brainpoisoned about Doge Lord

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Teratrain posted:

His feed's full of NFT stuff so I'd guess he's just brainpoisoned about Doge Lord

Man, if this is how he is nowadays then it's no wonder Wes Borland booked it to start his own band.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Durst has actually directed a bunch of TV episodes of different shows over the last 10-15 years. A lot of B/C grade celebrities got very into NFT poo poo so that part doesn't shock me.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
https://theintercept.com/2022/12/20/twitter-dod-us-military-accounts/

Does this reflect badly on the governmenr as a confirmation that creepy spy poo poo is being done with American companies or does it reflect bad on twitter for giving them special treatment to help them?

Was there any way twitter's old leadership could have refused or did they actually want to help with an unofficial war campaign?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

Durst has actually directed a bunch of TV episodes of different shows over the last 10-15 years. A lot of B/C grade celebrities got very into NFT poo poo so that part doesn't shock me.

A lot of them were paid pretty well to promote it. He could just be cashing in.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

This comes after pressing Elon for technical details of his plans on a chat and getting called a "Jackass" when Elon couldn't follow along.

https://old.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/zrra0z/elon_musk_calls_an_engineer_a_jackass_and_a_moron/

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The folks Musk was posing with at the world cup final were basically a who's who of evil.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2022/12/20/elon-musk-spotted-world-cup-final/

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Archonex posted:

Also, what the gently caress does Fred Durst think he's gonna do for Elon if this is serious?

He's going to provide the new Twitter corporate spirit anthem

Carew
Jun 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/iamraisini/status/1605538033612177408?s=20&t=aHIYoSLqAJC1op5pMf7xaQ

this dude is completely clueless and his wealth is built entirely on cultivating a phony tony stark image. he crumples at the tiniest amount of scrutiny, jesus christ

"hey can you explain what you mean?"

"uhhh umm.... gently caress YOU!"

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
High velocity features is peak upper management talk that means nothing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Looking increasingly likely he is just going to ignore the poll.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Didn't count because people who don't like him were allowed to vote.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That just makes it funnier because I think a lot of people assumed this was just a way for him to save face well he slinked away and had already wanted to appoint someone else to man the sinking ship.

If this was a genuine attempt to get people to boost his ego and it back fired that's hilarious.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Looking increasingly likely he is just going to ignore the poll.

It was literally just a "Will you go out with me? [ ] YES [ ] NO" note on lined paper only to the entire internet instead of just the pretty girl in the seat in front of him in class. And he's handling the "No" response by picking up his desk and throwing it at the teacher's head.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Starting to think it's the latter considering he has mostly ignored the whole thing since he lost, other than to say he'll stay on until further notice. There have been a few Tweets he's replied to that are claiming that bots influenced the outcome, which also makes me think that he's choosing to ignore the entire thing

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, he'd had his ego wounded and wanted proof that all his users still loved him, simple as that. No plan, just an addict in sudden need of a fix.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
I just really enjoy how insecure he is about Twitter. He's clearly embarrassed that he had to buy it because he doesn't know how to make it successful. He won't go hands off and let it just exist because it's not profitable enough (and was never going to be) and everything he tries just seems to make everyone angrier at him.

Has anyone else checked out Tumblr lately? It's kinda chill after so much exposure to the systemic hatred that embodies Twitter nowadays.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
I get that internet ads are a scam in general, but if you're paying $44bn for an ad-supported business, you should at least know how the scam works:

https://twitter.com/calebgamman/status/1605500174066806784

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Teratrain posted:

Has anyone else checked out Tumblr lately? It's kinda chill after so much exposure to the systemic hatred that embodies Twitter nowadays.

The general reactions over there seems to be:

A) "lol. lmao."
B) "We welcome all the Twitter refugees but don't gently caress this place up like you did back there."
C) "Why didn't Musk ban links to Tumblr too?! I feel so left out..."

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Teratrain posted:

I just really enjoy how insecure he is about Twitter. He's clearly embarrassed that he had to buy it because he doesn't know how to make it successful. He won't go hands off and let it just exist because it's not profitable enough (and was never going to be) and everything he tries just seems to make everyone angrier at him.

Yeah seems like former twitter addicts, or whoever really needed to use a microblogging site for.. whatever reason that might be.. headed over to Mastodon, and everyone who was only using Twitter as the "popular social media thing" of the moment headed back Tumblr.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Not that I'm happy for people losing their jobs, but it's somewhat satisfying to see all of these pro-Elon 'hardcore' staff who should have seen warning signs miles away and yet decided to stay on either be cut or disillusioned. Real voting for the face-eating panthers stuff.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
So is there a Mastodon server that's decent enough about shitposting, cursing, and also not letting Nazis scoot across the whole floor everywhere? The mastodon.social server is never accepting new members and I am not looking forward to inferring which server to try and having to make multiple attempts at it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I've got it: SA should join the Fediverse.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Original_Z posted:

Not that I'm happy for people losing their jobs, but it's somewhat satisfying to see all of these pro-Elon 'hardcore' staff who should have seen warning signs miles away and yet decided to stay on either be cut or disillusioned. Real voting for the face-eating panthers stuff.

A good chunk of them are on Visa's and have no choice.

Snow Fire
Oct 29, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

So is there a Mastodon server that's decent enough about shitposting, cursing, and also not letting Nazis scoot across the whole floor everywhere? The mastodon.social server is never accepting new members and I am not looking forward to inferring which server to try and having to make multiple attempts at it.

I could probably just invite you to mastodon.social if that's what you really want~

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Depends--do I get in trouble if I drop gently caress bombs on mastodon.social?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Fire
Oct 29, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Depends--do I get in trouble if I drop gently caress bombs on mastodon.social?

Gonna say no as it's not in the server rules~