Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I've never used one, whats bad about 10T?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

jamal posted:

Same. Want to build like a caad13 with 1x12 axs, nice wheels, 32mm tires for all the dirt you tend to wind up on road riding around here. But then another part of me is like "what about a madone though?" And another part of me says "lets go ride mountain bikes instead"

Inside of you are 3 cycling podcast hosts.

wooger posted:

But that’s the only thing that lets people to pretend that 1x works for road. And SRAMs entire product lineup is broken without the magical 10x cog.

We're onto 9t now, bro.

This is 2x11 11-32 vs Campy 13 1x13 9-36

There's still one big gap in the upper range that I notice.

I think 1x14 could do it for most riders. And I have no doubt it my mind manufacturers aren't done with increasing gears.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

wooger posted:

But that’s the only thing that lets people to pretend that 1x works for road. And SRAMs entire product lineup is broken without the magical 10x cog.

It works just fine and Campagnolo is moving to a 10t cog for its 2x groups as well. Let's not pretend the majority of us will ever spend a buttload of time in 48x10 or 50x10. I currently run 50/34x10-33 on my Madone and I like it just fine. It's great having that big of a range in a race.

I would be just as happy with a 1x road set up ending with a 10t cog. I'd be happier if it were 1x14 though.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

brand engager posted:

I've never used one, whats bad about 10T?

The 10 tooth feels like some flintstone’s engineering. Chunky. I loath to feel a 9 tooth. I feel the only solution to the chunkiness is moving to a finer pitched chain, which would alternatively mess with tooth size so I don’t think that is a workable solution.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

osker posted:

The 10 tooth feels like some flintstone’s engineering. Chunky. I loath to feel a 9 tooth. I feel the only solution to the chunkiness is moving to a finer pitched chain, which would alternatively mess with tooth size so I don’t think that is a workable solution.

I honestly don’t really notice it from a feel standpoint. People had the same complaints about going to 11t decades ago. There are efficiency losses, but that’s why I pair it with a 50t right now. It’s an overdrive gear for downhill sprints where you win with timing, positioning and being aero more than pure watts.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I have the 3T 9-32 on dickwood, 9t fine.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

TobinHatesYou posted:

I honestly don’t really notice it from a feel standpoint. People had the same complaints about going to 11t decades ago. There are efficiency losses, but that’s why I pair it with a 50t right now. It’s an overdrive gear for downhill sprints where you win with timing, positioning and being aero more than pure watts.

:hmmyes:

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

TobinHatesYou posted:

I agree on the use case scenario, it is an edge case. I ought to temper my engineer’s OCD by riding bikes more instead of theorycrafting. I have been meaning to rent a campy 1x13 from Rapha just to see how it rides. I hav Ed not tried a campy gruppo made in the last 30 years.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

osker posted:

I agree on the use case scenario, it is an edge case. I ought to temper my engineer’s OCD by riding bikes more instead of theorycrafting. I have been meaning to rent a campy 1x13 from Rapha just to see how it rides. I hav Ed not tried a campy gruppo made in the last 30 years.

Mechanically, it peaked a decade ago, and has been hampered by some kinda noticeable cost cutting. I can't speak to how EPS stacks up.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

:chanpop:

This is the fred'est of ride in the best way possible.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

TobinHatesYou posted:

Why does pairing with a 50t make the efficiency losses less important? Surely it means you’re more likely to use it, and are in a less efficient (smaller) cog in general more often than you would be on a 52/53t, no?

Do you live/race somewhere with real mountains? A 34-33 is crazy low for racing I’m used to, though I’d certainly want that for a trip to the alps.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

wooger posted:

Why does pairing with a 50t make the efficiency losses less important? Surely it means you’re more likely to use it, and are in a less efficient (smaller) cog in general more often than you would be on a 52/53t, no?

Do you live/race somewhere with real mountains? A 34-33 is crazy low for racing I’m used to, though I’d certainly want that for a trip to the alps.

50x10 is equivalent to 55x11 broski.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
For some reason I find myself yearning for GRX Di2 with a 32/50 crank and a 11-36 cassette, but that might be too extreme. Current GRX is at 17 tooth delta on the crank and that's already 1 more than their road cranks. Even if they had to lock out the cross situation (which you'd never use anyway, and should be easy with Di2) it'd be amazing of a range.

That dream (or close enough) might stop me from buying a nice bike until next gen GRX comes out. It could be also be impractically steep of a low range.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

ilkhan posted:

For some reason I find myself yearning for GRX Di2 with a 32/50 crank and a 11-36 cassette, but that might be too extreme. Current GRX is at 17 tooth delta on the crank and that's already 1 more than their road cranks. Even if they had to lock out the cross situation (which you'd never use anyway, and should be easy with Di2) it'd be amazing of a range.

That dream (or close enough) might stop me from buying a nice bike until next gen GRX comes out. It could be also be impractically steep of a low range.

That’s what the 10t cog affords you. An official SRAM eTap AXS Wide setup of 43/30x10-36 = 516% range. If you use something like a Praxis 48/32, then that’s 540% range.

This hypothetical 50/32x11-36 combo only has 511% range with an 18t jump in front.

It’s actually insane that GRX remains at 11t and might continue to be stuck with it even as they move to 12spd next year.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

One day someone will make 107bcd rings in 50/37 that aren’t CarbonTi. One day. My FD mount has enough to move up and clear them.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

One day someone will make 107bcd rings in 50/37 that aren’t CarbonTi. One day. My FD mount has enough to move up and clear them.

Croder to the rescue.

https://www.crodercycling.com/products/9bf8895c-9684-4aef-8e0b-586815b97e28

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

TobinHatesYou posted:

I do notice it from a feel standpoint, but again I'm in it more than you because of smaller chainring choice.

You're spot on about it not being a relevant gear for sprinting. I'm a reasonably fast track sprinter, and the largest gear I use for sprinting is a 60x14. That's about the same as a 52x12, or a 43x10. If any of you are regularly sprinting in a bigger gear I want to know your palmares.

Having the option to not have to be at the very end of your cassette for a sprint is really nice, though, especially because anything smaller than a 14 starts to have significant losses, in addition to the angle of the chain.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

wooger posted:

My ride today.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
If I only ride around my local area then I never use my 36t, the gradient never goes over 2/3%. I do use it a lot on Zwift though.
So if I were to get a bike with XPLR (found an Aspero with it for 22% off that I definitely couldn't build for cheaper), I could just put a 44t chainring on and a 10-36 in the back and I'd have pretty much all the range I need for >95% of my outdoor rides.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

ive got a 40 upfront on my CX bike and swap the rear cassette depending if im gonna race it or not. currently has an 11-42. really nice for doing crazy steep logging roads or MTB trails.

used to have a 42 upfront and the drop to a 40 is pretty minimal and i only really notice when i leave my house cause i live on the top of a hill, but im glad i have a little extra ratio on the steep poo poo, but a 44 would be too big for the bikes intended purpose given that ive also got a road bike with full size gearing.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 21, 2022

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Also rode to work today after our city got hammered with snow and the roads are still hosed. Love the part where the tire cuts into the crust and sends you flying sideways.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

kimbo305 posted:

Inside of you are 3 cycling podcast hosts.

We're onto 9t now, bro.

This is 2x11 11-32 vs Campy 13 1x13 9-36

There's still one big gap in the upper range that I notice.

I think 1x14 could do it for most riders. And I have no doubt it my mind manufacturers aren't done with increasing gears.

Dumb question but is the calculator you're using the https://ritzelrechner.de/ calculator? And if so, how can I convert it from dev/m to gear-inches?

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

adnam posted:

Dumb question but is the calculator you're using the https://ritzelrechner.de/ calculator? And if so, how can I convert it from dev/m to gear-inches?

Think it's this site https://www.gear-calculator.com/?GR...,27,30&UF2=2220

E: which is just the same but with an English url

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
This is probably a good place to ask this. If I wanted to get a bike maintenance clamp and I already have a big steel pole in my garage with plenty of space around it, is it better to buy a wall-mount style then DIY a mount on that pole or should I get a freestanding one?

Edit: No, in fact there is a whole separate thread for maintenance I should have asked in.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

evil_bunnY posted:

:chanpop:

This is the fred'est of ride in the best way possible.

Now Fred is a new one, pray tell?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You son of a bitch. I’m gonna be the fastest boy downhill

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Jestery posted:

Now Fred is a new one, pray tell?

"In the UK, an early usage of the word is the more common—used by 'serious' roadies to refer to (often) bearded, sandal-wearing, touring cyclists without any high-tech gear."

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

evil_bunnY posted:

"In the UK, an early usage of the word is the more common—used by 'serious' roadies to refer to (often) bearded, sandal-wearing, touring cyclists without any high-tech gear."

I don't think that's a UK-specific thing. Or at leaat, its how folks here in Seattle have used it since at least the 90s.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah, Fred has for sure been a thing in the US since before I started riding in 2005.

I've seen it less applied to touring cyclists and more to road cyclists with old saggy kits, bars above their saddle and mirrors everywhere.

I feel like hardcore touring cyclists with baggy shorts and sandals get their own kind of respect. Hipsters or dirtbags would be a more appropriate derogatory term for them.

Sincerely, a tech bro that spends lots of money but barely rides bicycles. Guess I'm a dentist? :btroll:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Most of the guys I see with mirrors everywhere are too old and inflexible to turn around in their saddle and look, and to be honest I'm not too far behind them. Hard to poke fun at them over it anymore.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah, one day, if I live long enough, I'll be a Fred.

It's not likely though.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Found a good route for a single activity Festive 500.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

You either die a World Tour LARPer or live long enough to see yourself become a Fred.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

TobinHatesYou posted:

Found a good route for a single activity Festive 500.

:hmmno: 500 on Lido Circle
:hmmyes: 500 on inner Lido Circle

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Back in 2019, to finish off the Festive 500, I did 138 laps around this ~0.4 mile loop: https://www.strava.com/segments/19030456

It was one of the few places places that wasn't super icy.

This year, I'll probably do most of it at Wash Park: https://www.strava.com/segments/10090349 Hopefully they've cleared the road and it isn't too sketchy tomorrow. The park people seem to normally be pretty good about that.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
lmao at the guy who has the 400laps and local legend title for that last loop

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Local legend is interesting. On popular segments, first place usually has at least twice as many efforts as second place. Looks like 2nd in this case has ~130 laps while I'm currently tied for 3rd place with 91 laps.

I will not be taking 1st.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
What do you guys watch while you're on the trainer? After 45 min/an hour it gets pretty grueling to just watch your zwift avatar. Are people putting shows/movies on a second screen?

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I have a mix on fairly loudly that gives me energy for the ride and then make it hard enough that I need to think about how I'm pacing myself. I've found that I can't pay attention to anything properly on the trainer anyway. I have put cyclocross races on before though, they last about an hour and are fun to watch even if I can only glance at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Hutzpah posted:

What do you guys watch while you're on the trainer? After 45 min/an hour it gets pretty grueling to just watch your zwift avatar. Are people putting shows/movies on a second screen?

Trainerroad on phone, Netflix/films/sports on a tv.

I don’t have much problem focussing on the intervals. For a ramp test I’ll concentrate.

I did experiment with wahoo SYSTM for a bit, which mostly provides its own entertainment (race footage, documentaries, “humour”, but too many other annoyances.