Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

but PLEASED TO BE SENDING A CHINOOK NOWISH TIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

As a reminder from personal experience, high titters from boosting is not a replacement for masking in the office. It's great we have the freedom to boost every 3 months but covid doesn't give a fuuuuuuck

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
This is me
https://twitter.com/serfnumber22/status/1605263689690796034

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

[Canada] trashghanistan

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Isizzlehorn posted:

, high titters

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Isizzlehorn posted:

You're good to go and your body is ready to get stimulated again.

Yes this is exactly what I keep saying.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Isizzlehorn posted:

[Canada] trashghanistan

I'm ethnically trash

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Next time before sending troops they should do the mathghanistan

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Gaffeghanistan was right there.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Gaffeghanistan was right there.

You think I'm getting paid time and a halfghanistan to come up with these?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

more like poopghanistan

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
I'm partial to WASPington

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
trashtario

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

trashkatchewan
trashitoba
nova scotrash
prince trashward island
trashbec
trashberta
new trashwick
newtrashland
britrash columbia

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
I mean we literally have a Garbage Hill in Winnipeg. I declare it the new capital of Lower Trashada.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Karach posted:

I mean we literally have a Garbage Hill in Winnipeg. I declare it the new capital of Lower Trashada.

oh is that where the MMIWG are buried

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I am already eating from the trashganistan all the time

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Karach posted:

weird, i thought this was the GTA

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Isizzlehorn posted:

high titters

ah to be young again

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Arivia posted:

Can't be ruled out, sadly :sigh:

e: I believe the reserves were closed when it was an active landfill but that whole area legit has burial ground vibes. Grant Park and environs is the same way because of Rooster Town

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

seems needlessly redundant

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Arivia posted:

I think that was an actual working landfill. Unless there's a story I missed.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Karach posted:

I think that was an actual working landfill. Unless there's a story I missed.

yeah no i was just making an edgy joke

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Arivia posted:

yeah no i was just making an edgy joke

I was hoping that it wasn't that tbh

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

welp -30 again

Please send a global warming or two

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Bilirubin posted:

welp -30 again

Please send a global warming or two

If this keeps up we won't need any MAiD.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It is happening because of global warming, which is the most frustrating part to explain to Boomers. The polar vortex is weakening.

Maybe if we bought then copies of Total War Warhammer II, they’d understand.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
which canadian city is kislev

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

It is happening because of global warming, which is the most frustrating part to explain to Boomers. The polar vortex is weakening.

Maybe if we bought then copies of Total War Warhammer II, they’d understand.

the boomers know what they did. they just dont care because they will be dead before it matters, and feigning stupidity is the fastest way to get you to shut up and leave them alone about it

Rutibex has issued a correction as of 17:46 on Dec 21, 2022

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Hubbert posted:

which canadian city is kislev

they're all praag

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

cock hero flux posted:

they're all praag

winnipraag

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Hubbert posted:

winnipraag

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Rutibex posted:

the boomers know what they did. they just dont care becasue they will be dead before it matters, and feigning stupidity is the fastest way to get you to shut up and leave them alone about it

They were gambling on this openly and now it's happening and they're not even dead! :mad: Truly the worst of all worlds.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

This looks interesting:

Toronto Sprawls: A History

With a landmass of approximately 7000 square kilometres and a population of roughly five million, the Greater Toronto Area is Canada's largest metropolitan centre. How did a small nineteenth-century colonial capital become this sprawling urban giant, and how did government policies shape the contours of its landscape?

In Toronto Sprawls, Lawrence Solomon examines the great migration from farms to the city that occurred in the last half of the nineteenth century. During this period, a disproportionate number of single women came to Toronto while, at the same time, immigration from abroad was swelling the city's urban boundaries. Labour unions were increasingly successful in recruiting urban workers in these years. Governments responded to these perceived threats with a series of policies designed to foster order. To promote single family dwellings conducive to the traditional family, buildings in high-density areas were razed and apartment buildings banned. To discourage returning First World War veterans from settling in cities, the government offered grants to spur rural settlement. These policies and others dispersed the city's population and promoted sprawl.

An illuminating read, Toronto Sprawls makes a convincing case that urban sprawl in Toronto was caused not by market forces, but rather by policies and programs designed to disperse Toronto's urban population.

https://utorontopress.com/9780772786180/toronto-sprawls/

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Toronto has a disproportionate number of ugly people for such a large city

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
having been to some other places in canada, i'd say it's still significantly better than the regional average

it's an ugly nation and at worst we're representative of that

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
Toronto has a lot of problems but hating on it from anywhere else in Canada is extremely parochial and cringe.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

This looks interesting:

Toronto Sprawls: A History

With a landmass of approximately 7000 square kilometres and a population of roughly five million, the Greater Toronto Area is Canada's largest metropolitan centre. How did a small nineteenth-century colonial capital become this sprawling urban giant, and how did government policies shape the contours of its landscape?

In Toronto Sprawls, Lawrence Solomon examines the great migration from farms to the city that occurred in the last half of the nineteenth century. During this period, a disproportionate number of single women came to Toronto while, at the same time, immigration from abroad was swelling the city's urban boundaries. Labour unions were increasingly successful in recruiting urban workers in these years. Governments responded to these perceived threats with a series of policies designed to foster order. To promote single family dwellings conducive to the traditional family, buildings in high-density areas were razed and apartment buildings banned. To discourage returning First World War veterans from settling in cities, the government offered grants to spur rural settlement. These policies and others dispersed the city's population and promoted sprawl.

An illuminating read, Toronto Sprawls makes a convincing case that urban sprawl in Toronto was caused not by market forces, but rather by policies and programs designed to disperse Toronto's urban population.

https://utorontopress.com/9780772786180/toronto-sprawls/

I've read it. He argues that the city's natural development inclinations were tall and dense due to private transit and utility monopolies wanting to keep services compact, and it was government policies intentionally designed to spread out the city (because dense cities were seen as unhealthy and congested) that caused sprawl, which was otherwise uneconomical and unprofitable. A big part of the argument is that suburbs weren't always an appealing place to live, for decades they were stigmatized as poor places lacking services and infrastructure, and people wanted to live in dense city centres but were forced out by a city government that disliked density. It's an interesting argument but I think he too readily dismisses mass car ownership and especially developers' drive for immediate profits by creating and selling sprawling neighbourhoods - which isn't surprising given that Solomon himself is a National Post, privatize-the-TTC, clash-of-civilizations, global-warming-isn't-real guy, so of course he would say all Toronto's problems aren't the fault of car owners and real estate developers, they're the fault of an overly interventionist nanny state city government.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

vyelkin posted:

National Post, privatize-the-TTC, clash-of-civilizations, global-warming-isn't-real guy, so of course he would say all Toronto's problems aren't the fault of car owners and real estate developers, they're the fault of an overly interventionist nanny state city government.

:psyduck:

What's it going to take for Toronto to be dense and tall, the TTC and GO to be well funded, and the tyranny of the Ford Nation suburbs to end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Frosted Flake posted:

:psyduck:

What's it going to take for Toronto to be dense and tall, the TTC and GO to be well funded, and the tyranny of the Ford Nation suburbs to end?

Toronto is ruled by dumbasses because it has always been ruled by dumbasses. Somehow we thrive anyways.

e: Understanding and accepting this really improved my daily mood.