Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

I absolutely want to see a full raid do a dungeon dive where one whole party scatters to gather from various points inside while the rest of the group gets slaughtered

This was old school diadem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Yes! I couldn't find the video so I remembered wrong about what it was. It's been a couple years.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Helped the wife run through Seat of Sacrifice last night. That loving QTE is a massive accessibility issue for someone with neuropathy in their hands. I felt especially bad because I hosed up the timing on my LB3 after we got through it the first time :eng99:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I really wish one QTE failure wasn't a wipe on that fight. Even an old-school-Titan-style "anyone who fails the QTE can't be rezzed" mechanic would feel less punishing.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

If it at all helps, you can also press a whole bunch of keys at the same time to beat the QTE charge meters faster.

…Just make sure you don’t hit your “start chat” key.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Shinjobi posted:

I absolutely want to see a full raid do a dungeon dive where one whole party scatters to gather from various points inside while the rest of the group gets slaughtered

That's how HW Diadem worked. People would queue for a group then switch to fish and gently caress off to that one island to catch pterosaurs and leave their NM farm group left in the lurch with only seven and depending on how many were idle for loot it might not be possible to actually kill the NMs.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://gamerant.com/final-fantasy-14-6-3-letter-from-the-producer-live/

Live Letter Dec 23rd, 6 AM est!

E: ah poo poo the official Twitter posted that this morning, I'm late af

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 21, 2022

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Antivehicular posted:

I really wish one QTE failure wasn't a wipe on that fight. Even an old-school-Titan-style "anyone who fails the QTE can't be rezzed" mechanic would feel less punishing.

It's seriously the single shittiest mechanic in the entire game that I've seen, and I'm still baffled how they let that through in Shadowbringers, when they generally had such a strong sense of how to make a good game.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 21, 2022

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think at least it's the last time it shows up. I can't remember if otherwise.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Does the savage version of that fight still have the QTE?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i'm the king of christmas

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Kwyndig posted:

Does the savage version of that fight still have the QTE?

nope just a straight fight

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Stormblood LP learns that memes are the DNA of the soul

dyslexicfaser
Dec 10, 2022

So, Shadowbringers is beloved, yeah? That's the sense I get from talking to people.

And about five hours in, I get that the vibes are off the charts. But also I've been pretty intensely annoyed twice in that time, first at the limitations of being a silent protagonist unable to tell Exarch how I really feel about him dragging us all here, and then with the new Zenos. I didn't even like the old Zenos that much, and the new one is less built up and less intense in person to be kicking our team's entire collective rear end this hard.

Is this a case where I'm going to look back on all this fondly by the end of the expansion, or is this a Titan Banquet situation and I need to just tuck in my chain and try not to think about it too hard?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

As to the first spoiler, that's a major character arc in the story and the more you learn the more sympathetic he becomes. I definitely started out annoyed with the guy, but his story is real heavy hitter as far as pathos goes and Shadowbringers has a lot of stiff competition for hardest hitting emotional beats.

As to the second, nobody likes that guy so you're not alone.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah he fills the unnecessary role of recurring antagonist and some of his feats border on the absurd simply to progress the story. The Rak'tika Greatwood cutscenes come to mind, and how he basically no-sells falling down a nigh bottomless pit. Or how he somehow can sense the presence of invisible fairies. Or how he survives Thancred's attack in the solo duty.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I like that guy, but it's a 'love to hate' thing. He's a Master Asia-style kung fu villain trope played to the hilt, and honestly, I think it works a lot better for the role he's in than Zenos did. He's not a new or complicated idea, but he doesn't need to be. Really, his only major problem is that he came right after Zenos, so he immediately got compared, and the people who didn't like Zenos just saw a lot of similar notes being played. It doesn't really matter if they're being played better this time. It's like how Bozja got glared at for being Eureka 2: Tworeka.

I've been thinking of doing a video comparing the two and explaining why I think Ran'jit does it better, but the hard part in planning it out is just that Zenos is more than that one role, while Ran'jit isn't, so I'd kinda like to bring in another comparison character for the rest of Zenos and I'm not sure what works. The best idea I've got is Goro Majima, and that REALLY feels wrong. (Also I haven't played nearly enough Yakuza to be confident talking about it.)

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Dec 21, 2022

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
That character felt like he was intended to have a bigger role as a foil to other characters' arcs, but ended up getting cut up to make room for the rest of the expansion, particularly You-Know-Who.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Dec 21, 2022

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah he fills the unnecessary role of recurring antagonist and some of his feats border on the absurd simply to progress the story. The Rak'tika Greatwood cutscenes come to mind, and how he basically no-sells falling down a nigh bottomless pit.

This is fine. If the pit is deep enough then he falls out of combat and lands with 1 hp regardless of distance.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I like Ranjit, he's cool.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

1stGear posted:

That character felt like he was intended to have a bigger role as a foil to other characters' arcs, but ended up getting cut up to make room for the rest of the expansion, particularly You-Know-Who.

I don't think it was to make room for the rest of the expansion so much as they just ran out of time in general, afaik they had to choose between two possible dungeons at 78 and chose the one we got instead of the one that became a single player scenario.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
he's also the last remaining memory--at least among humanity--of what the world was outside of just norvrandt

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Cleretic posted:

I've been thinking of doing a video comparing the two and explaining why I think Ran'jit does it better, but the hard part in planning it out is just that Zenos is more than that one role, while Ran'jit isn't, so I'd kinda like to bring in another comparison character for the rest of Zenos and I'm not sure what works. The best idea I've got is Goro Majima, and that REALLY feels wrong. (Also I haven't played nearly enough Yakuza to be confident talking about it.)

Majima and Roche from FF7R. Although in making that comparison I don't know what parts Ran'jit pulls from Zenos, he could be entirely the "A worthy opponent! Our battle will be legendary!" guy.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Set each class change to a 3-line macro of /snap, change the gearset, then an appropriate emote. Real snazzy.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Mister Olympus posted:

he's also the last remaining memory--at least among humanity--of what the world was outside of just norvrandt

Sort of, his father lived outside Norvrandt, he himself was born during/after the calamity. Although he still uses forbidden foreign techniques.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Dareon posted:

Majima and Roche from FF7R. Although in making that comparison I don't know what parts Ran'jit pulls from Zenos, he could be entirely the "A worthy opponent! Our battle will be legendary!" guy.

I mean that they fill the same basic structural role in the story: they're the recurring miniboss that you fight several times, gradually showing your strength by getting better at fighting them. I generally think Ran'jit works better at that role because his powerset is more unknown to us (and therefore easier to believe he's winning with) and him plot-winning doesn't set us back as much as it does with Zenos. But again, Zenos gets to be more than just that role, while Ran'jit is pretty much entirely stuck in it.

Thinking about it, I feel like if I do pull the trigger on that video, I'm gonna need a sidebar on Pokemon rivals even if they're not the 'main' comparison, because they're among the most iconic examples.

Zetetica
Jan 22, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Thinking about it, I feel like if I do pull the trigger on that video, I'm gonna need a sidebar on Pokemon rivals even if they're not the 'main' comparison, because they're among the most iconic examples.

The most recent one even joins in on the whole obsessed combatsexual stalker aspect like Zenos and Majima.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Runa posted:

As to the first spoiler, that's a major character arc in the story and the more you learn the more sympathetic he becomes. I definitely started out annoyed with the guy, but his story is real heavy hitter as far as pathos goes and Shadowbringers has a lot of stiff competition for hardest hitting emotional beats.

As to the second, nobody likes that guy so you're not alone.

You don't speak for everyone. Zenos rules

Edit: I extremely misunderstood. You are actually correct

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I'd agree that Ran'jit is the less offensive version of "inexplicably powerful recurring miniboss" mainly because that's all he is and coming after Zenos did him no favors. Local strong man gets in our way, until he doesn't, and then we can get on with the important stuff. I think they also do a passable job of showing him winning using unknown tricky bullshit, as opposed to just being very (too) strong. Probably could've done that better but hey. It felt conceivable that we beat him at any given point even though we don't. Zenos is clearly wearing plot armor in SB and you just know he's going to hang around until he's the final boss. Then they do more with him later making his previous job of annoying roadblock seem even worse

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

New SAM glam just dropped.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Macaluso posted:

You don't speak for everyone. Zenos rules

Edit: I extremely misunderstood. You are actually correct

lmfao

agreed

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Definitely a "worth the payoff" story.

Ran'jit does a lot of supportive plot functions, I find. They're mostly spoilers in ways you may not expect and cover almost the full expac so:

1) He's the military face of Eulmore so that Vauthry doesn't have to be, which does a lot of water carrying for Vauthry's later themes as Innocence and to a lesser degree not oversaturating Vauthry in the story or putting him someplace we can't take him seriously. It also lets Ran'jit reinforce how deadly serious Eulmore is about devotion to Vauthry. It's also really understated but I think this link sets up why he is so strong without just telling us directly: Vauthry is revealed to be very capable of empowering his followers and it's not like we arrive to the First able to just flex and dab on the forces of the Light. Shadowbringer is about great struggle down to the awesome boss theme, so Ran'jit being oppressive works well and can be explained somewhat in hindsight.

2) Thancred and Ryne! That showdown in the desert alone is worth the price of admission, but Ran'jit definitely has a history and meaningful contribution to the story of Eulmore past "roadblock recurring boss." It's a great story beat too.

3) With the above and the general mystery about him it works out to a nice understated tragic figure and cool flavor. What's the deal with his dragon that is also his scythe? Is he supposed to unintentionally be the reaper job class lead we never got? Is he a Norvandt sineater bond reaper? It's good setting building to give us touches of Norvandt to imagine and not fully explain.

I can't blame anyone for not liking the jrpg trope he enforces but I like him a lot.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Ranjit isn't even inexplicably strong. He's the sole leader of the strongest army in qhat remains of the first. He's had decades and decades of experience fighting the sin eaters (And now leading them). He's probably the most well trained fighter left on the first. They don't explicitly call this out but it's pretty obvious from his history you do learn as the guy that's been training Minfillias for who knows how long in their war on Sin Eaters.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Feel like (Shadowbringers 5.0 MSQ) Ran'jit should've been killed by Thancred in Amh Araeng and had a short MGS villain speech as he's dying where he explains how he tragically became an abusive dad to Thancred, thus saving Thancred from walking the path of the abusive dad. His death in Eulmore later is a giant anticlimax.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
He's not a cheese spewing dork like Zenos so actually that old man was boring as hell and he felt like an obnoxious roadblock more than an actual threat.

Give me the cringe or get the hell out of my way.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Chillgamesh posted:

Feel like (Shadowbringers 5.0 MSQ) Ran'jit should've been killed by Thancred in Amh Araeng and had a short MGS villain speech as he's dying where he explains how he tragically became an abusive dad to Thancred, thus saving Thancred from walking the path of the abusive dad. His death in Eulmore later is a giant anticlimax.

No that's stupid. Thancreds personal journey and coming to terms with the loss is good actually.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Skip cut scene?
>Yes
No

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
I didn't really care for Ran'jit in that yeah, he's a less entertaining version of Zenos (who is also not very entertaining outside of a few specific mindsets) and coming hot off the heels of Zenos in Stormblood does not to Ran'jit any favors, but also

1) He's doing the wizened old martial arts master shtick and aesthetic in a setting that doesn't have that visual or even that many pugilists in the first place (I think I've only ever seen one, a Crystarium guard in Lakeland in a FATE), and

2) this is absolutely a personal thing, but I have a lot of bleedover dislike because of the Thancred vs. Ran'Jit solo duty, which took way too long even on Very Easy and frustrated me a lot - to the point where when he does the fusion dance with his pet dragon(?) that my only response was 'of course there's a phase 2'.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

His kungfu master stuff was probably his best feature to me since he's supposed to be a relic of the world that was. Although it also felt like someone couldn't fit him into StB and just plopped him into ShB since they already did the work lol

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Ranjit isn't even inexplicably strong. He's the sole leader of the strongest army in qhat remains of the first. He's had decades and decades of experience fighting the sin eaters (And now leading them). He's probably the most well trained fighter left on the first. They don't explicitly call this out but it's pretty obvious from his history you do learn as the guy that's been training Minfillias for who knows how long in their war on Sin Eaters.

There's a difference between "guy is a tough cookie" and "guy effortlessly trounces hero of heroes and their crew". Dude has unknown First kungfu poo poo but we've got stuff he's never seen either. That kind of thing worked when we were fresh of the boat but by shadowbringers you gotta put in more work if you don't want it to look kinda stupid. Have him give the Many Yuels speech verbatim at least so he can be hammy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

My main memory of Ran'jit is doing his first fight as Dancer and thinking "this must be infuriating for you" as I literally danced around his AOE attacks. Admittedly, you could read that vibe into all dancer solo duties but it felt particularly taunting for the "you aren't allowed to win" solo boss.