Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

HootTheOwl posted:

Because if you ever admit the answer is "no one can afford it" then the whole ideology crumbles.

you can afford it if you accept the psychological wage of religion and/or racism instead of cash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

graventy posted:

It's the way most people who are 'good at math' do it in their heads, anyway. It's a good change, but change is confusing and scary.
Which means smart students can't excel anymore. Very hosed up system, taking away the one advantage smart kids have, while doing nothing about the advantages other kids have.

They need to add various hormones to kids to equalize them physically, now that they're doing it mentally.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

gotta say, i think parents like these are dumb as hell and this seems like a much better way to learn math than what i got —— i feel like i started doing this on my own way too late

https://twitter.com/lawrence_farms/status/1604577275399258112

It is, I don't want to say "should" but this is pretty close to how you should do addition in your head. This will also help build a foundation when moving forward when you layer the next math concept on: If 6+5 is the same as 6+4+1 then when you do subtraction you can also make it more manageable. 11-5 is the same as 11-1-4. And also you're ready for algebra notation because you're already using an order of operations, mentally making it (6+4)+1

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Which means smart students can't excel anymore. Very hosed up system, taking away the one advantage smart kids have, while doing nothing about the advantages other kids have.

They need to add various hormones to kids to equalize them physically, now that they're doing it mentally.

buddy, haven’t you heard? the kids are all already getting hormones

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

e double post somehow

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

e double post somehow

Twice the hormones, twice the posting.

E:
Already onto multiplication, I see.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

buddy, haven’t you heard? the kids are all already getting hormones
that's equality, but it doesn't produce equity. the chad third grader needs to get a higher dose to be brought to the median.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yeah, that's how I add big numbers in my head.

On the other hand, long division is Bad. I liked it when I was a kid, but I'm a big ol' nerd. Go team calculator.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Yeah I wish I'd been taught that way instead of needing to fumble for ages before reaching it on my own.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

bodybuilding and steroid use should be rewarded and encouraged

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Hello police there's a bunch of hot men with shrunken dicks near me please help

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Steroids that make you gay ought to be mandatory

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

tokin opposition posted:

Hello police there's a bunch of hot men with shrunken dicks near me please help

:cumpolice: :doink:

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Colonel Cancer posted:

Steroids that make you gay ought to be mandatory

Reminded of a goon who posted about how during cycles of Tren he became a pansexual hyper-pervert.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

that guy got permabanned for an old post saying he wanted to murder cyclists

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

looks like both bruenig's brains are fully broken now

you hate to see it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Laterite posted:

looks like both bruenig's brains are fully broken now

you hate to see it

it's transparently a joke lmao

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

it's transparently a joke lmao

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

can’t believe this getfiscal fella thinks he actually has a shot with gal gadot

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Jenny Agutter posted:

can’t believe this getfiscal fella thinks he actually has a shot with gal gadot

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

lobster shirt posted:

that guy got permabanned for an old post saying he wanted to murder cyclists

how is wanting to drive a car in a city a permaban???

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

gotta say, i think parents like these are dumb as hell and this seems like a much better way to learn math than what i got —— i feel like i started doing this on my own way too late

https://twitter.com/lawrence_farms/status/1604577275399258112

this is literally the trick I figured out as a child to do math in my head, except they're teaching everyone which is great

how do these other people do it, do they just count on their fingers

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

It is, I don't want to say "should" but this is pretty close to how you should do addition in your head. This will also help build a foundation when moving forward when you layer the next math concept on: If 6+5 is the same as 6+4+1 then when you do subtraction you can also make it more manageable. 11-5 is the same as 11-1-4. And also you're ready for algebra notation because you're already using an order of operations, mentally making it (6+4)+1
This really pisses me off because splitting things up and making it simpler for myself was what came naturally to me and would get me "6/10, didn't show work" marks unless I did it in my head and worked backwards and wrote it all down the way we were supposed to. I'm not some mathematical prodigy or "and that kid was Einstein" genius, that's just how it made sense to me and I resented the implication that anyone who didn't write it all out the hard way was just cheating and hiding it.

Flesh Forge posted:

I am super skeptical of western media coverage of covid in general and China's policies on it in particular, because the vast majority of it is just straight up lies

https://twitter.com/AndyBxxx/status/1605060842084397056
Western coverage of anything in China is generally crap, but to go with a glaring example, it didn't help that Chinese state media released English versions of like saying "we're testing and considering implementing a social credit system that penalizes undesirable behavior" while omitting the part where the Chinese language version continued with what amounted to "but at this point we're only using it to prohibit rich assholes who underpay workers or charge excess interest on loans from taking luxury flights and train rides." There's a huge language barrier to overcome, and it's not likely that the average native English speaker/reader will become fluent in Chinese or that the average native Chinese reader/speaker will become fluent in English. Beyond that, people in power will tend to use that language barrier to their advantage both internally and externally, and it's difficult enough to distinguish between facts and propaganda in your own native language, it's just an unfortunate obstacle to media literacy that we all have to deal with.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
A growing adolescent realization about the people who assume everyone is cheating all the time

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Reminded of a goon who posted about how during cycles of Tren he became a pansexual hyper-pervert.

here you go

:stonklol:

bonus that it only got a sixer

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

mods namechange to superhuman gently caress machine tia

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Flesh Forge posted:

in less controversial news, podcasters need to be euthanized

https://twitter.com/Chinchillazllla/status/1605052273389887488

followup, "wow I can't believe people got mad at this perfectly ordinary question ps I am extremely not white &shame on you who voted white"

https://twitter.com/theserfstv/status/1605427201091833858

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
spoilered for discussion of self-harm

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Student killed themselves *rant/vent*

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

american academia is a perverse joke

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Comrade Koba posted:

american academia is a perverse joke

it's seriously hosed up but not just in america

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
"assuming she wasn't lying" she says about kid who offer herself because of college stress he himself exacerbated. The leng t'che would be too kind an end for this rear end in a top hat.

E:professor is a woman apparently. Sentiment stands.

nudejedi has issued a correction as of 13:24 on Dec 22, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

nudejedi posted:

"assuming she wasn't lying" he says about kid who offer herself because of college stress he himself exacerbated. The leng t'che would be too kind an end for this rear end in a top hat.

They say multiple times they are a woman

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/weatherdai/status/1605186079556083714?s=20&t=K8EDOtsE3ILTPREX1H_STA
https://twitter.com/rufusbrant/status/1605261139939581953?s=20&t=K8EDOtsE3ILTPREX1H_STA

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
do not, my friends, become addicted to orgasms

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Cuttlefush posted:

it's seriously hosed up but not just in america

possibly, but americans make it even worse. every time there's a story about a professor being a petty, entitled dipshit who goes out of their way to gently caress with their students it's always a loving yank.

we had a woman from the us who had to teach entry-level algebra as part of her employment contract while she was doing research here and man did she get unreasonably angry and snippy when students just used her first name instead of "Professor <Lastname>".

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Comrade Koba posted:

possibly, but americans make it even worse. every time there's a story about a professor being a petty, entitled dipshit who goes out of their way to gently caress with their students it's always a loving yank.
the most famous petty, entitled dipshit professor is a canadian

actually, i hope he's not still a professor, so fair enough maybe

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

FFT posted:

the most famous petty, entitled dipshit professor is a canadian

actually, i hope he's not still a professor, so fair enough maybe

eh, canadians are basically americans but with more racism so it still tracks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Men are bad at sex. 50% of population stunned.