Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

smellmycheese posted:

Tory columnist gambit today is “at least we’re not still living in caves and hunter-gathering”

For most of human history we didn't have Tories, or columnists, or Nigel Farage. Seems hopeful.

crispix posted:

they could have come up with something more imaginative than lads from ireland and scotland knocking the bajesus out each other imo
The Morrigan got way too into hex grid games for a while as an alternative to inciting wars among mankind, then got bored.

e: The M55 connects Preston to Blackpool

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Google Jeb Bush posted:

seeing actual real world journalists mention Something Awful as an example of quasi-competent moderation has been a trip, ngl

"Something Awful is the worse form of moderation except for all the others that have been tried" - Lowtax, probably

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

smellmycheese posted:

Tory columnist gambit today is “at least we’re not still living in caves and hunter-gathering”

Lovely admission that the absolute best their ideology can offer is a slow decline.

E: lol it’s Daniel Finkelstein

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Inside all of us there are two Finkelsteins

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Don't get sick or injured this christmas, comrades

https://twitter.com/SusiHarris/status/1601173805627412480

EDIT this was on top of another poster in the UK cspam thread who personally saw someone keel over and die in the A&E waiting room

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Bloody kids these days with their 3 lane motorways and petrol stations

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Failed Imagineer posted:

Along those lines:

Happy Solstice to all. I will be celebrating the dawn and rebirth in the fashion of my ancestors - failing to watch a livestream of the passage tomb illumination at Newgrange because the online player crashed.

Try this!

https://mobile.twitter.com/MrTimDunn/status/1605468193736228867

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

Don't get sick or injured this christmas, comrades

https://twitter.com/SusiHarris/status/1601173805627412480

EDIT this was on top of another poster in the UK cspam thread who personally saw someone keel over and die in the A&E waiting room

12 years they've had to fix this. They really don't care do they.

Apparently Stanford University has created a list of words that they suggest should be replaced because they are harmful. It's a Daily Hate article so I won't link but here's the list:

quote:

Original: walk-in

Swap: drop-in, open office

Reason: 'Ableist language that trivializes the experiences of people living with disabilities'

Original: grandfather

Swap: legacy

Reason: 'This term has its roots in the "grandfather clause" adopted by Southern states to deny voting rights to Blacks'

Original: guru

Swap: expert, subject matter expert (SME), primary, leader, teacher, guide

Reason: 'In the Buddhist and Hindu traditions, the word is a sign of respect. Using it casually negates its original value'

Original: brave

Swap: none/do not use

Reason: 'This term perpetuates the stereotype of the "noble courageous savage," equating the Indigenous male as being less than a man'

Original: man hours

Swap: person hours, effort hours, labor time

Reason: 'This term reinforces male-dominated language'

Original: American

Swap: US Citizen

Reason: 'This term often refers to people from the United States only, thereby insinuating that the US is the most important country in the Americas (which is actually made up of 42 countries)'

Original: whitespace

Swap: empty space

Reason: 'Assigns value connotations based on color (white = good), an act which is subconsciously racialized'

Original: prostitute

Swap: person who engages in sex work

Reason: 'Using person-first language helps to not define people by just one of their characteristics'

Original: kill(ing) two birds with one stone

Swap: accomplish(ing) two things at once

Reason: 'This expression normalizes violence against animals'

Original: trigger warning

Swap: content note

Reason: 'The phrase can cause stress about what's to follow. Additionally, one can never know what may or may not trigger a particular person'

Of course the comments on the article and twitter are all about it being 1984 or ultra Marxist but I think most of the reasons are decent enough even if I don't agree with all of them.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

bessantj posted:

You're speaking as if this isn't exactly what they were aiming for.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Awesome, those ancient druids that run TfL really knew their poo poo.

Taking a moment to consider that twisto could probably have led a fantastic multi-page derail on this one , :respek:

Along these lines, Manhattanhenge is also pretty cool, but it has the disadvantage of not occurring at a celestial milestone. Still looks nice tho

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Dec 21, 2022

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

bessantj posted:

Apparently Stanford University has created a list of words that they suggest should be replaced because they are harmful. It's a Daily Hate article so I won't link but here's the list:

Of course the comments on the article and twitter are all about it being 1984 or ultra Marxist but I think most of the reasons are decent enough even if I don't agree with all of them.

This has been happening a lot in tech. Sometimes its good changes, sometimes its changes that are a bit silly. The biggest problem is they are almost always USA centric with zero thought to the rest of the tech world that also uses English.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

bessantj posted:

1990 "They're renaming all the manhole covers 'personspace coverings' now Norman, it's bloody ridiculous, it's just like that book I keep meaning to read."
2020 "Why do the olds have such weird names for the service hatch?"

You'd think the Mail would approve of replacing 'trigger warning' with 'content note', but I guess approving of things doesn't get hate clicks.

And a few of them (like grandfather and brave) it's clearly referring to a particular (and dated) American use, like brave as a noun or grandfather as a verb, but I'm sure they clarified that and didn't stir it up in deliberate bad faith like they did with "I am not a birthing person and I don't chest feed, end all trans rights because I read a terrible article!"

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mega Comrade posted:

This has been happening a lot in tech. Sometimes its good changes, sometimes its changes that are a bit silly. The biggest problem is they are almost always USA centric with zero thought to the rest of the tech world that also uses English.

I still annoyed, they renamed "that unless broken piece of poo poo" to "zip drives". The changed name just never sounded right.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm still annoyed that they changed master/slave device to primary/secondary and not dom/sub.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Guavanaut posted:

For most of human history we didn't have Tories, or columnists, or Nigel Farage. Seems hopeful.

Some of the oldest columns in Britain are kept at Stonehenge, still revered by weird nationalists.

Tory is just a word for robber, not a novel concept eh.

Nigel Farage was found in 1964 from a Kentish limestone mine and is estimated to originate from the Cretine period.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

bessantj posted:

It's stupid liberal ivory tower bullshit that can't see the forest for the trees. "Person who engages in sex work" is far too long-winded to ever catch on when people tend to use much shorter (& more insulting) terms for sex workers. My job title was "call centre operator", that doesn't define me, it defines my job. These idiots at Stanford (which, let's be fair, is a hive of right wing libertarian fuckwittery & their academics would do better addressing that than policing language in the most "parody of a centrist scholar whose only interaction with real people is when they hire a new cleaner for their place) proposed that I be called "a person who engages with call centre work" I'd call them stupid cunts.

Don't get me wrong, I get that language impacts how we think, & even if it didn't you just shouldn't casually use language that demeans others (obviously I'm not against demeaning others when they deserve it). But gently caress me, "don't use this well known aphorism because it encourages violence against animals"? gently caress off. And the trigger warning/content note thing, surely what causes the stress in the reader is the knowledge that something that could remind you of trauma is coming up & you have to skip over it, rather than the particular wording used to warn that content is coming up?

And that bit about bravery is just the most hokum bollocks. I hate liberals so much. I suppose to be fair I'd like to see this in the original context rather than filtered through the Daily Mail's lens of bigotry but worrying about petty poo poo like this just reeks of liberals desperate to ignore the material reasons things are hosed, because hey, doesn't impact them, whereas the coarse poors talks in metaphor about killing birds with a stone somehow does.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

quote:

Original: guru

Swap: expert, subject matter expert (SME), primary, leader, teacher, guide

Reason: 'In the Buddhist and Hindu traditions, the word is a sign of respect. Using it casually negates its original value'

loving yanks.

Here are a few of the common colloquial meanings the word guru has in India:

"Brother" (This guy is like a guru to me)

"Buddy" (This guy is my guru)

"Know it all" (This guy is such a loving guru)

Even when the Sikh Gurus called themselves that, it was because they didn't want to elevate themselves to some divine title and just wanted to be called "teacher".

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Dec 21, 2022

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I assumed it was 'brave' as in "a Red Indian brave", ie very racist and outdated language, but then I wouldn't know why it needs to be said now. Are Americans going around calling themselves or each other braves?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dabir posted:

I assumed it was 'brave' as in "a Red Indian brave", ie very racist and outdated language, but then I wouldn't know why it needs to be said now. Are Americans going around calling themselves or each other braves?

The Atlanta baseball team are still the Braves. Dunno about anyone else.

OK, if they mean it that way then sure, that's gotta get in the bin. Didn't even cross my mind tbh.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Yeah its confusing without the context. if they mean calling someone 'A brave' then sure. It comes directly from the latin word meaning savage. But saying someone "is brave" while also having the same roots, takes most its meaning from 'Bravo' which is a positive thing and separated from the latin origins by about 600 years.

£5 says they didn't consult a single indigenous American on this either.
Its like when a load of people tried to make 'Latinx' happen and the wider latin American communities response to that was " lol no that's dumb and doesn't make sense in our language at all"

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Dec 21, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah it's definitely that, and it's probably because so many US academic sports teams carried indigenous 'warrior' type names.

But the Mail aren't going to clarify that. Same with grandfather, it's only referring to 'grandfathering in', which is just going to confuse anyone unfamiliar with the expression and get a 'the gently caress'/eyeroll reaction from anyone too familiar with the history, but the Mail would like readers to think that you have to call your granda your legacy non-birthing ancestor or something now because of the wokes.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Comrade Fakename posted:

Lovely admission that the absolute best their ideology can offer is a slow decline.

That is all that is on offer at the moment from all sides, different rates of decline (and/or the illusion that we can make the decline happen only to certain other types of people).

I watched a Politics Joe thing the other day with Ian Hislop - we was explaining that the foolish tories " have forgotten that people ask for X% to match inflation, you give them a little less than what they want and then strike ends" : and I found myself shouting at the screen, "what happens if that takes place year on year for decades Ian" - because even people who see themselves as reformers can only conceive of a decline just better managed.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
These kind of articles come out every now and then where academic types say 'here's some ideas for how we can change wording for marginalised people' that no one has ever had an issue withand then the marginalised people turn around and say 'we don't loving care, fix the actual problems instead'

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
For those who want the context absent the Heil's take on it:

The list in question, apparently saved from Stanford's internal web system:
https://s.wsj.net/public/resources/documents/stanfordlanguage.pdf

The announcement of the initiative that gives some background on where it's coming from:
https://itcommunity.stanford.edu/news/introducing-elimination-harmful-language-initiative-website

Their response to the backlash:
https://itcommunity.stanford.edu/news/update-elimination-harmful-language-initiative-stanfords-it-community

I dunno man person, I feel like this poo poo's pretty simple: don't call someone something they don't want to be called; don't call someone something if you think it might cause offense; if you do cause offense, apologise and don't do it again, even if you think the reason what you said was offensive is dumb, and don't say you think it's dumb.

Not that I put stock at all in "British values" or whatever, but I feel like I've done a mandela effect or something these days cause I'm sure when I was growing up "politeness" was one of those vaunted values but the ones who like to rave about british values the most seem to consider politeness an alien concept.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
In this case it seems like a department plagued by wanky management speak asked some people for suggestions to replace some of it with less problematic wanky management speak, some of them went a bit excessive, then the tabloids did their usual trick of pretending that the woke language gods hath decreed that everyone has to talk like this now.

Normal people weren't going around talking like "we need to grandfather in the whitespace, I'll get some braves on it" anyway, so it's not like anything of value has been lost.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I remember a couple years ago when a council updated their guidelines to not use 'Brain-storming', it caused a huge fuss, eventually someone asked the largest epilepsy charity their opinion and they said it was fine and they were never consulted. After repeated questions they even polled their members and it came back something like 92% "not offensive".

So yeah. No matter how well intentioned these word changes (or omissions) can be, I am always wary its a bunch of high horse white/neurotypical/straight/cis people doing it to feel smug and pat themselves on the back for being such a good ally.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I remember our secondary school trying to make 'Mind Map' happen in place of brainstorm, would have been the early 2000's.

Still think its stupid.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
What's with all this patriarchal perSON stuff? How about we use perCHILD instead so it's not demeaning to talk about woperchildren* as if they were a lesser species?

/S (probably)

*Wo - men -> wo-per-sons > wo-per- children
For those who want it spelled out (it's been a long day)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

serious gaylord posted:

I remember our secondary school trying to make 'Mind Map' happen in place of brainstorm, would have been the early 2000's.

Still think its stupid.

I never even considered mind map as being the same as brainstorm. I always thought of mind map as something you do on paper or a whiteboard but a brain storm as more of a verbal thing with flipcharts and 'parking'.
Food for thought.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
When you think about it Jae-luni is a bit insensitive, better replace it with Jae-neuroatypical. And I have no idea what an rear end-jill is dunno where to start there

Oh no I've become the gammon in the Mail comments making shite jokes parodying wokery. It's me, hi, I'm the problem it's me

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/dec/21/brexit-rule-that-makes-eu-citizens-reapply-to-stay-in-uk-is-unlawful-court-says

quote:

Home Office rules that could put millions of EU citizens at risk of job losses or deportation after Brexit have been found to be unlawful by the high court.

Under the current EU settlement scheme, EU citizens who had been in the country for less than five years before Brexit and who had “pre-settled status” are obliged to reapply to upgrade their status to “settled status” after being in the country for five years.

If they did not, they would automatically lose their rights to reside, work, rent property or access services including the NHS, under Home Office rules.

But in a ruling handed out on Wednesday in the high court, Justice Lane described the rule as “wrong in law and that the EU settlement scheme is accordingly unlawful” as it “purports to abrogate the right of permanent residence”.

Lane ruled that a right of residence could only be lost in very specific circumstances that were clearly defined in the withdrawal agreement.

tomorrow's daily mail: WOKE JUDGES IN LEFTIST POWER GRAB :argh:

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I feel that "drop-in" trivialises the suffering of parachute accident survivors.

Dead Goon fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 21, 2022

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Dead Goon posted:

I feel that "drop-in" trivialising the suffering of parachute accident survivors.

:hmmyes:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

smellmycheese posted:

I live near the creswell crags which is arguably the oldest human settlement in the UK, we talking humans living alongside mammoth old. It's one of those odd pockets where hunter gatherers realised that it didn't get that cold during an ice age winter so they made a permanent settlement.

Anyway, this dude is wrong.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

learnincurve posted:

I live near the creswell crags which is arguably the oldest human settlement in the UK, we talking humans living alongside mammoth old. It's one of those odd pockets where hunter gatherers realised that it didn't get that cold during an ice age winter so they made a permanent settlement.

Anyway, this dude is wrong.

Yeah, flintstones had cars.

Reveilled posted:

I dunno man person, I feel like this poo poo's pretty simple: don't call someone something they don't want to be called;

What about telling someone they are cis?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Dabir posted:

More than you'd think. The American scouting system, for example, is infested with amateurishly stolen "Indian lore" (it's largely invented). I had to edit a document just last week that used the phrase "Like the braves of old". (I changed it to "people of old").

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What about it? I generally don't need to tell people whether they're cisgender or not, I think most people can work that out on their own.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

In what context would you ever need to tell someone they are cis?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

blunt posted:

In what context would you ever need to tell someone they are cis?

When you want to make their gammon heads explode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kokoro Wish posted:

You're speaking as if this isn't exactly what they were aiming for.

I suppose I had a naive hope that they wouldn't be so blatant about it.

Mega Comrade posted:

It is quite Amero-centric for obvious reasons and some of it is bollocks, but stuff like U.S. citizen v American seems reasonable in part though when you get someone saying "Well I'm Canadian and he's United States Citizanian" that would sound too strange.