Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Heh the guardian just got hacked in a ransomware attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

kingturnip posted:

It all just drums home that of the last couple of generation of elected politicians, 80% plus of them are completely loving useless when it comes to thinking long-term.
The current political thinking is that you only worry as far away as the next election and that utterly fucks the country.
Everyone gets to blame the last shower of cunts, and they're right to do so, but almost no-one has any plan that extends beyond a couple of years of positive headlines.

The 'last shower of cunts' for the last, what, 4 elections? has been the same cunts, but nobody seems to notice.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Words are not themselves harmful, but can be a expression of harmfulness or uncaring, depending on the context. But harm is not in using the word, the harm is in the cultural mindset that gives rise to a word - hence all of them only being harmful in context. While discussion of what words are harmful can be a useful point to explore harmful cultural mindsets, it is often the case that privileged classes focus on making certain words taboo over engaging with the mindset that makes them taboo in the first place.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

keep punching joe posted:

We will unlock your files if you say 'trans rights'

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

No, they add that request for money to all their emails.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

I'm still annoyed that they changed master/slave device to primary/secondary and not dom/sub.

I mean the real fix to this was SATA. I haven't personally had to deal with PATA master/slave stuff since the previous century I think.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Hope they have to sell Adrian Chiles to pay the ransom

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

bessantj posted:

U.S. citizen v American seems reasonable in part though when you get someone saying "Well I'm Canadian and he's United States Citizanian" that would sound too strange.

We could just call the country Usastan and the people Usastanese, it's not like Pakistan is an 'actual' name for a place or people. Or name it Springfield.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The one about whitespace is genuinely silly because there's nothing good or bad about whitespace, it's empty, it's as neutral a thing as you can get. You can have too much or too little or just enough, and if you code in python you can have the wrong kind and get in a fight. It's just called white because that's the colour of paper.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Words are not themselves harmful, but can be a expression of harmfulness or uncaring, depending on the context. But harm is not in using the word, the harm is in the cultural mindset that gives rise to a word - hence all of them only being harmful in context. While discussion of what words are harmful can be a useful point to explore harmful cultural mindsets, it is often the case that privileged classes focus on making certain words taboo over engaging with the mindset that makes them taboo in the first place.

As Dave Gahan once said "Words are very unnecessary, they can only do harm" . Not sure if we should trust that though since he communicated the idea using words

:thunk:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Nenonen posted:

We could just call the country Usastan and the people Usastanese, it's not like Pakistan is an 'actual' name for a place or people. Or name it Springfield.

Call it Yankeeland and the people Yanks.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Dabir posted:

The one about whitespace is genuinely silly because there's nothing good or bad about whitespace, it's empty, it's as neutral a thing as you can get. You can have too much or too little or just enough, and if you code in python you can have the wrong kind and get in a fight. It's just called white because that's the colour of paper.

No white space in my IDE. Dark mode supremacy!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
No it should be The Great Satan and The Great Satanians

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Microplastics posted:

That's much too cool, 99% of America is a deeply lame place don't let the propaganda fool ya.

Source: currently on US soil in the airport waiting for a flight, and it's deeply poo poo

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Hope they have to sell Adrian Chiles to pay the ransom

perhaps he is the ransom, and he will write a column about the experience

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

forkboy84 posted:

It's stupid liberal ivory tower bullshit that can't see the forest for the trees. "Person who engages in sex work" is far too long-winded to ever catch on when people tend to use much shorter (& more insulting) terms for sex workers. My job title was "call centre operator", that doesn't define me, it defines my job. These idiots at Stanford (which, let's be fair, is a hive of right wing libertarian fuckwittery & their academics would do better addressing that than policing language in the most "parody of a centrist scholar whose only interaction with real people is when they hire a new cleaner for their place) proposed that I be called "a person who engages with call centre work" I'd call them stupid cunts.

Don't get me wrong, I get that language impacts how we think, & even if it didn't you just shouldn't casually use language that demeans others (obviously I'm not against demeaning others when they deserve it). But gently caress me, "don't use this well known aphorism because it encourages violence against animals"? gently caress off. And the trigger warning/content note thing, surely what causes the stress in the reader is the knowledge that something that could remind you of trauma is coming up & you have to skip over it, rather than the particular wording used to warn that content is coming up?

And that bit about bravery is just the most hokum bollocks. I hate liberals so much. I suppose to be fair I'd like to see this in the original context rather than filtered through the Daily Mail's lens of bigotry but worrying about petty poo poo like this just reeks of liberals desperate to ignore the material reasons things are hosed, because hey, doesn't impact them, whereas the coarse poors talks in metaphor about killing birds with a stone somehow does.

Someone at my work said "feed two birds with one seed" a while back and I've started using it 🐥🐥

We've also had an informal request to try and use allowlist and denylist instead of whitelist and blacklist.

I'm on the fence with this stuff. It can get ott, but if I can take an action to not use language that bothers people, it's no skin off my rear end. Like, I definitely used the phrase r*tard up until about the mid-2000s, and I don't bemoan the fact that I shouldn't/don't say it any more. And I used the word "lame" to mean disappointing or bad until recently when someone pointed out the connotation, so I stopped.

I do agree that replacing a short phrase with a less-zippy one is never going to work. "Person who is experiencing homelessness" is never going to compete with "homeless person" or sadly "bum".

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Failed Imagineer posted:

That's much too cool, 99% of America is a deeply lame place don't let the propaganda fool ya.

Source: currently on US soil in the airport waiting for a flight, and it's deeply poo poo

The true-true. Flew into JFK in space year 2000, felt like The Beatles touching down. Everything welcoming, spacious, clean and bright, trivial to get a taxi into Manhattan and approach the city over the bridge as the sun sets amongst the steel and glass canyons.

On the way out, the departure terminals are like a corrugated iron shed, crowded, unmaintained, littered, filthy.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

sinky posted:

We will unlock your files if you say 'trans rights'

who the gently caress is scraeming "say 'trans rights' and i will unlock your files" at my house. show yourself, coward. i will never say 'trans rights'

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Microplastics posted:

Typical Satanian exceptionalism :jerkbag: what makes them soooo great?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

feedmegin posted:

I mean the real fix to this was SATA. I haven't personally had to deal with PATA master/slave stuff since the previous century I think.
You still see it with SPI and in some process control, but increasingly with different names.

But never (that I've seen) dom/sub or even top/bottom. :(

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Mega Comrade posted:

£5 says they didn't consult a single indigenous American on this either.
Its like when a load of people tried to make 'Latinx' happen and the wider latin American communities response to that was " lol no that's dumb and doesn't make sense in our language at all"
Isn't 'latin' perfectly acceptable? You know, as long as you make it clear you're referring to a self-identifying group of central american cultures and not european history? I get there's a difference between LatinO and LatinA, and the goal is to correct everyone calling women 'Latinos.'

But it doesn't roll off the tongue, it doesn't make sense, and it doesn't fix any of the underlying problems, it just makes the language around it harder to use. Which, it coming from a right wing institution might be the point.

You're right though, it smacks very much of well meaning white people coming up with solutions for problems without talking to anyone from those communities.

This is something that's on my mind because the other type of D&D thread is being extremely normal and I'm sure very ethically diverse in terms of the voices saying orcs aren't racist stereotypes, despite the repeated links to an archive of panels of prominent black folks in the D&D community saying it very much is a problem.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What's with all this patriarchal perSON stuff? How about we use perCHILD instead so it's not demeaning to talk about woperchildren* as if they were a lesser species?
Ngl i kind of want to start saying woperchild now.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

I love that there's a Board for poo poo-tier procedures

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

a woperchild sounds like what you get if the fey steal your babby and replace it with a gremlin

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/lbc/status/1605585654670295042?s=46&t=s_Gjx-7-YyeN4rmDlI8tbQ

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

The Atlanta baseball team are still the Braves. Dunno about anyone else.

OK, if they mean it that way then sure, that's gotta get in the bin. Didn't even cross my mind tbh.

one of the traditions the Braves have is their fans do the “tomahawk chop”

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
France not taking the loss of the World Cup well, I see.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

:britain:

E: oh wait nvm :france:

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/20/world/europe/uk-ambulance-delay-nhs-strike.html

quote:

WREXHAM, Wales — Rachel Parry and Wayne Jones, two paramedics with the Wrexham Ambulance Service, pulled up to a hospital in northern Wales with a patient just after 10 a.m. one early December morning. That’s when their wait began. It would be 4:30 p.m. before their patient, a 47-year-old woman with agonizing back pain and numbness in both of her legs, would be handed over to the emergency room of Wrexham Maelor Hospital. It was more than 12 hours since she had first called 999, the British equivalent of 911.

The delays have grown so bad — and so common — the two paramedics said, that their first interaction with patients is no longer an introduction. “We start with an apology now,” Ms. Parry said. “Every job is, like, they open the front door, ‘Hi, we are so sorry we are late.’ That has become the norm.”

Frontline staff are reaching a breaking point.

While Ms. Parry and Mr. Jones waited at the hospital with their second patient, there were at least 21 calls in their response area that they and other paramedics also stuck at the hospital could not be deployed to. During their 12-hour shift, they picked up only three patients. “It’s frustrating,” Mr. Jones said. “These people are out in the community and they are desperate.”

Good Samaritans sometimes step in and drive people in distress to the hospitals themselves. While Ms. Parry and Mr. Jones were waiting with their patients, two cars pulled into the ambulance drop-off point with patients. In both cases — one in which an elderly woman fell and broke her wrists and another in which a woman collapsed in a supermarket — the driver had called the emergency services only to be told it would be hours before an ambulance could come. “Bystanders are doing more jobs than me today,” Ms. Parry said in frustration, after helping both arrivals into the hospital.

Ms. Parry and Mr. Jones say their biggest fear is arriving to pick up a patient after a long delay only to find they have arrived too late. “I know people have died,” Ms. Parry said. “I know of a crew that has said, ‘We’ve just been to someone who was waiting four hours for us and they are dead on the sofa.’”

Just after 7 a.m., Mr. Jones and Ms. Parry responded to their first call of the day, which had come in at 3:42 a.m.

The dispatcher gave them details about the patient, and Ms. Parry switched on the blue light and siren and quickly drove to a row house on the outskirts of Wrexham. A woman, Gill Foulkes, was in excruciating back pain, and her husband had called 999. The paramedics found her upstairs in bed, writhing in pain, and hooked her up to a machine to monitor her vital signs. They gave her morphine, stabilized her and offered reassuring words as they carefully loaded her stretcher into the back of the ambulance.

“I was at the point where I thought I would die from the pain, and then these angels came,” she said of the paramedics.

Ms. Foulkes was grateful to the paramedics but said she was distressed and frustrated. She added that she felt sorry for the emergency call handlers as well. “I was at the point of just begging for an ambulance, and they were distressed listening to me be distressed,” Ms. Foulkes said. “Our government is letting us down, I am afraid.”
https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1605194107072221184

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

It's always projection. McKenzie knows he's a vile psychopath and assumes everyone else is too

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I really don't think the plan of trying to demonise healthcare workers is going to work out. When they tried it a few years ago with those fat cat junior doctors the response was lukewarm at best, going after nurses and ambulance drivers is ridiculous.

I've been pleasantly surprised how hard the BBC has had to work to get even mildly disgruntled vox pops on the train strikes - I watched the news the other night and the worst they could find was a guy who said business at his military memorabilia market stand was down this year, presumably because of the lack of trains. Everyone else was either ambivalent or supportive.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The bigger issue is I suspect the government is more willing to collapse the health service than pay people properly.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Rishi just staring at a spreadsheet right now trying to work out the solution

Pensions £200b
Public transport £150b
Military £800b
Dodgy contracts to mates £3600b
NHS £150b

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Just how supported are the strikes? I want stats! Surely yougov have been polling everyone

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

xtothez posted:

Pensions £200b
Public transport £150b
Military £800b
NHS £150b

i don't know about that NHS number, seems a bit high

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

YouGov poll of exclusively angry old shut-ins who imagine they might need the train any day now and haven't spoken to a working person in 10 years except to yell about cat food.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Microplastics posted:

Just how supported are the strikes? I want stats! Surely yougov have been polling everyone

30% of labour voters polled support a ban on ambulance workers striking

I saw that and just crumpled

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

xtothez posted:

Pensions £200b
Public transport £150b
Military £800b
NHS £150b

Buy less PPE.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Idly wondering if new kebab shops and chicken huts are opening up outside ER departments for the captive market of waiting paramedics and patients

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

That's not a bomb.... that's a two pounder shell (40mm ) from a British Pom-Pom gun. :awesome:

I watch too far many Drachinifel vids for my own good.

edit: they say it's from WW1 but that ammo was in use during both wars, looks like the primer is missing so probably safe to handle... a bit.

Just Another Lurker fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 21, 2022