Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Made it to 100 playing sub-600 with destroy decks which works well with Vormir. I've gotten good about recognising the bots and just snapping early no matter what with them, which seems the one true way to climb quickly. Guess I can break the 600 CL barrier now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

edgar_ posted:

Weird interaction that does not make sense: Kingpin's effect moves with him, rather than being applied to the lane (unlike say Cloak, or any other lane based effects that I've noticed). So my opponent played Kingpin, then Cloak, then moved Kingpin to the cloak spot and Aero'd my board to that space which destroyed them all.

This is because Kingpin's ability is not On Reveal. It says "When a card moves here on turn 6, destroy it." So when it moves, the 'here' moves with it.

Cloak on the other hand has: "On Reveal: Next turn, both players can move cards to this location." So on reveal the effect gets locked in, and when the card gets moved (or destroyed), it doesn't matter.

What makes less sense is that cards that get moved after the game (because of Invisible Woman), still get killed by Kingpin. I guess that even though the game has ended, it's still somehow turn 6? Meh.

the_steve posted:

Yeah, Kazoo is fun, but Armor (and probably Cosmo) are drat near mandatory for it just to protect your little 'uns.

Once you start getting opponents with Killmonger, you have to play your Ka-Zar and Blue Marvel and whatever first, and then play all your 1-drops on the last turn, preferably while not having priority.

(Or have Armor like you said.)

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Tekopo posted:

Made it to 100 playing sub-600 with destroy decks which works well with Vormir. I've gotten good about recognising the bots and just snapping early no matter what with them, which seems the one true way to climb quickly. Guess I can break the 600 CL barrier now.

This is the way. Congrats!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Lmao first two boxes I get Agatha and Hela. Hela is gonna be sick.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tekopo posted:

Lmao first two boxes I get Agatha and Hela. Hela is gonna be sick.
Yeah I really want Hela to complete my destroy deck

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I think I've mentioned this before, but if you're running certain ad block apps (NextDNS for example), some of the inbox rewards, news, etc won't appear 100% of the time.

Edit: For NextDNS specifically, I'm sure I could fix it by finding all of the addresses that Snap calls and whitelisting them, but that's a pain.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

How's this for a discard deck? I thought I had ghost rider but turns out I didn't, unfortunately. Disrupt package of iceman/scorpion/shang, then pretty much all discards apart from America.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Nicely done. Camping sub-600 to get infinite is the way to go for that first/second month. Considerably more reliable then any of the decks pushed by Youtubers.

Tekopo posted:

How's this for a discard deck? I thought I had ghost rider but turns out I didn't, unfortunately. Disrupt package of iceman/scorpion/shang, then pretty much all discards apart from America.

Shang Chi works very nicely on turn 6 to cause a big swing at the end of the game. Probably for that reason I don't see him very often in discard decks who are usually doing something else that turn.

Maneck fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 21, 2022

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Tekopo posted:

You probably want Dracula in here too, he's extremely strong in Apocalypse decks.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

team overhead smash posted:

Well hey there. Would have preferred Knull or Sentry but could have been worse. Has obvious utility with Kiev/Rockslide etc and seems fairly limited utility that I wouldn't bother building a deck around. Could be good and punch above his weight on certain features locations though.

We’ll have him a try and I’ll just say I’m now actually looking forward to Subterranea being a hot location. Ran him with Mr Negative and ended up with something like a 1 cost 20 power card.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

No Wave posted:

Retreating is only worth it when you are 75% to lose. If your opponent snaps on turn 6 retreating is worth it when you have ~63% odds to lose. The optimal way to play the mechanic is that close games happen and you just get out of non-close games. This game just does not work with you taking full losses for sakaar pulling your surfer and your opponent's doom.

I appreciate the explanation but genuinely do not know how this is meant to be applied in practice. If you're telling me, you can look at a random turn 3 Hand and board state and say "Ah yes, I've calculated a 28% win chance, definitely worth playing this out" then great but I'm just not built that way.

No Wave posted:

This is also just completely wrong, so idk what to say you're just some kind of sweatlord.

What else is there? The only outcome of every match in the game is either you win cubes or your opponent wins cubes. The game feeds you credits for slapping cards down but those are almost entirely divorced from what happens in the games, aside from the occasional mission.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

quiggy posted:

You probably want Dracula in here too, he's extremely strong in Apocalypse decks.
Don't think I have Dracula yet, but him and Ghost Rider are on my shortlist if I ever see them in token shop now.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Tekopo posted:

Don't think I have Dracula yet, but him and Ghost Rider are on my shortlist if I ever see them in token shop now.

Fair enough. Once you have two of the three of Hela/Ghost Rider/Dracula you might also want to consider swapping Chavez for Infinaut since you'll have multiple ways to cheat him out too.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Magik turn 5 into Storm turn 6 is my new favorite play

E: just had someone do Magik - 2 3 drop - Wong/Surfer on 7. Never thought of that

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Only just started playing this last month, both last season and this having a hard time getting out of the low 50's. I refuse to pay money into it, so maybe that's why? Like...there are a lot of good cards I have not gotten from the random drops... I have no Wong, Mystique, or Leader, for example. I lose a LOT to Wong decks...seems I only draw Cosmo into my hand if I'm not playing a Wong deck. At least I tend to do a good job winning against most "destroy" decks with use of Cosmo and/or Armor.

I'm sure PLENTY of other people already know this, but it seems Warrior Falls triggers before Sunspot gets the extra energy. I think that's a bunch of BS, since I just lost a game because of it thinking it was going to work the other way. I was mostly mad because I PERFECTLY predicted what they were going to do. They had a move deck, and had Vulture and Kraven on the middle location, nothing on the Warrior Falls, and 2 empty spots on the left location...I was drat sure they they were going to Heimdell on the Falls (since, in their mind, Heimdell-ing in the middle would leave me winning the Falls, and I could easily play a Hulk or even Abomination in the middle to win against Heimdell, so I knew that they knew their only hope was Heimdell on the Falls), leaving their middle location empty. So I just put a single 1 cost card there, and let my extra energy pump up Sunspot to 9. But, as said, Falls triggers before Sunspot. According to card wording, this is absolutely backwards. Sunspot is "at end of turn" and Warrior Falls is "AFTER each turn." The END of a turn comes before, because you have the end of a turn, then the turn is over, THEN you can enter the "after the turn" phase.

I'm also annoyed that what I feel like SHOULD be called "ongoing" abilities, like Sunspot or Kraven,...aren't. I mean, Ongoing is obviously just whatever ones they label as "Ongoing" but...they functionally ARE ongoing. I'm guessing the only reason cards like that don't have their abilities labeled as "ongoing" is because it would mess with cards like Onslaught? Like...do you double ALL the extra power Sunspot's gotten the whole game? Likewise all move power Kraven got?

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Any reason why Captain Marvel didn't fly to the right to win?

Oh because that would have lost me the left duh, nm.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Because you would have lost the left at the same time?

EDIT: seems you answered yourself :v:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm also annoyed that what I feel like SHOULD be called "ongoing" abilities, like Sunspot or Kraven,...aren't. I mean, Ongoing is obviously just whatever ones they label as "Ongoing" but...they functionally ARE ongoing. I'm guessing the only reason cards like that don't have their abilities labeled as "ongoing" is because it would mess with cards like Onslaught? Like...do you double ALL the extra power Sunspot's gotten the whole game? Likewise all move power Kraven got?

Yeah I was frustrated with that too because at first I thought it was arbitrary, but there is a logic to it. Ongoing (the keyword) effects are basically "auras", there's a consistent effect coming out of them. +2 to each side from Mr Fantastic, Shutdown On Reveal from Cosmo, etc. Other cards have effects that we might colloquially refer to as "ongoing", but they're things that fire off conditionally like the Kraven and Sunspot you mentioned. Kraven isn't gaining a steady+2 from each card that moves, it's a permanent buff that's applied when a card moves. If you think of "Ongoing" as "Aura" rather than the dictionary definition it makes more sense.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Only just started playing this last month, both last season and this having a hard time getting out of the low 50's. I refuse to pay money into it, so maybe that's why? Like...there are a lot of good cards I have not gotten from the random drops... I have no Wong, Mystique, or Leader, for example. I lose a LOT to Wong decks...seems I only draw Cosmo into my hand if I'm not playing a Wong deck. At least I tend to do a good job winning against most "destroy" decks with use of Cosmo and/or Armor.

If you see a Wong coming down and you don't have the perfect hand and priority to counter their bullshit, just retreat. You're never going to win.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm sure PLENTY of other people already know this, but it seems Warrior Falls triggers before Sunspot gets the extra energy. I think that's a bunch of BS, since I just lost a game because of it thinking it was going to work the other way. I was mostly mad because I PERFECTLY predicted what they were going to do. They had a move deck, and had Vulture and Kraven on the middle location, nothing on the Warrior Falls, and 2 empty spots on the left location...I was drat sure they they were going to Heimdell on the Falls (since, in their mind, Heimdell-ing in the middle would leave me winning the Falls, and I could easily play a Hulk or even Abomination in the middle to win against Heimdell, so I knew that they knew their only hope was Heimdell on the Falls), leaving their middle location empty. So I just put a single 1 cost card there, and let my extra energy pump up Sunspot to 9. But, as said, Falls triggers before Sunspot. According to card wording, this is absolutely backwards. Sunspot is "at end of turn" and Warrior Falls is "AFTER each turn." The END of a turn comes before, because you have the end of a turn, then the turn is over, THEN you can enter the "after the turn" phase.

Yeah, this is just one of those things. Save it in your memory banks on move on.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Ongoing are more abilities that have a, well, ongoing effect. Like, say, Ka-Zar and Blue Marvel both give extra power to your other cards. When new cards are added they also get the extra power applied. However, when Ka-Zar or Blue Marvel are destroyed, the extra power is gone.

On the other hand, Sunspot and Kraven are more like triggered abilities. Each time the condition is triggered, the effect gets applied. And it doesn't disappear.

It seems similar at first sight, but it really isn't.

(edit: also, see above ^^)

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Ongoing probably wasn't the best word.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Desdinova posted:

Anyone not get the 1000 credits and variant after they won the award? Not gone into my account though I got an email from them.

If you run a DNS-based ad blocker, whitelist *.braze.com.

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

I just opened Titania as my first series 4 card. Any obvious pool 3 things she slides into?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

uXs posted:

If you see a Wong coming down and you don't have the perfect hand and priority to counter their bullshit, just retreat. You're never going to win.

That said, yeah, there's not much more satisfying that having priority and slapping Aero or Magneto or whoever to disrupt whatever Wong fuckery they think they're about to hit you with.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Yesterday I opened up three collector's reserves, and got two new pool three cards and a variant for a pool 3 card that I didn't have. I didn't realize reserves could give you variants for cards you didn't own. That's functionally three new cards in a row. Happy Hanukkah to me!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
That's one of the special event variants. I opened sixteen reserves and didnt get one btw.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Incidentally, what decks is Attuma good in? Sadly, I don't have Zero.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Quackles posted:

I posted a deck last page I think is working ok. Interested to hear any suggestions. Imo the best case is attuma->X, which gives 13 power and locks a lane and is tough to beat. Attuma on armor (hopefully with cosmo too to stop enchantress is good. Really wacky stuff like Attuma->hulkbuster-> taskmaster did not work. I don’t like venom with him because it’s hard to get a lot of benefit on it on T5 (Attuma->lizard+venom is the dream? But that’s 3 cards over t4 and t5 to get a fat 18 dude.

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

buffalo all day posted:

Really wacky stuff like Attuma->hulkbuster-> taskmaster did not work.

Out of curiosity what did happen? Taskmaster has usually been good about scanning destroyed cards for me, but I've never tested running him with Hulkbuster in a deck.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

My Second Re-Reg posted:

Out of curiosity what did happen? Taskmaster has usually been good about scanning destroyed cards for me, but I've never tested running him with Hulkbuster in a deck.

Oh I mean you get a 5/14 taskmaster, it’s just at that point you’ve used up turns 4-6 and 2 14-power dudes isn’t exactly thrilling

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Quackles posted:

I've been running Attuma in a Destroyer deck: both Armor and Professor X stop him from dying, and Zero can negate his text.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
The disappointment of pulling two new cards while dropping 5000 points, and one of them being Quake, just got very real for me.

Got Red Skull as well. I guess he goes into a zero/task-master list well enough? Red Skull, Titania, Ebony Maw, Lizard and Zero sort of work. Really would be boosted by Atuma though.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

buffalo all day posted:

I posted a deck last page I think is working ok. Interested to hear any suggestions. Imo the best case is attuma->X, which gives 13 power and locks a lane and is tough to beat. Attuma on armor (hopefully with cosmo too to stop enchantress is good. Really wacky stuff like Attuma->hulkbuster-> taskmaster did not work. I don’t like venom with him because it’s hard to get a lot of benefit on it on T5 (Attuma->lizard+venom is the dream? But that’s 3 cards over t4 and t5 to get a fat 18 dude.

That looks pretty cool! I'll have to keep an eye out for Destroyer.

Comedy option: replace Destroyer with Giganto and watch people be surprised as I don't destroy my own cards

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

the_steve posted:

That said, yeah, there's not much more satisfying that having priority and slapping Aero or Magneto or whoever to disrupt whatever Wong fuckery they think they're about to hit you with.

Problem is that you need Aero AND Magneto to disrupt them, and you need priority.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Just opened Psylocke and am not quite sure how to use her. On the one hand +1 energy is a huge deal, but on the other hand you're spending twice that to put a weak card on the board a turn earlier. Anyone have any tips on how to best use her?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

quiggy posted:

Just opened Psylocke and am not quite sure how to use her. On the one hand +1 energy is a huge deal, but on the other hand you're spending twice that to put a weak card on the board a turn earlier. Anyone have any tips on how to best use her?

A number of pages back, someone posted a screenshot of their Psylocke on the "On Reveal Happens Twice" space with Wong. Think they ended up having like 25 energy on turn 6.
Granted, that's not common or guaranteed, your post just reminded me of it.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

Xguard86 posted:

Ongoing probably wasn't the best word.

Since ongoing cards' effects can be calculated from the current state of the board, and effects like kraven depend on the history of the game, there's stationary but that would be even more confusing

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

quiggy posted:

Basically you want to use her for cards that completely change the game for as long as they are out. Negative man and Sera are usually the top priority. An extra turn of those cards can be game winning.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004

Quackles posted:

If you run a DNS-based ad blocker, whitelist *.braze.com.

Thank you for this. Worked great.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

uXs posted:

Problem is that you need Aero AND Magneto to disrupt them, and you need priority.

You do need priority but I've used Odin to get a second shot of Aero to shut down a Wong deck.

Of course that's still 16 power over 2 turns you're spending on one lane, so you'd better already be winning one of the other 2 lanes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I use psylocke turn 4 to drop doom turn 5 into an empty spot then drop arnim zola to clone him and spray doombots everwhere