Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

protomexican posted:

ideally, bristles down
As in, clamp the brush somehow, or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

protomexican
May 1, 2009
A quick google of "paintbrush drying rack" yields various contraptions that do that. I personally just keep the tube that comes on the tip of the brush and use that to stand up my detail brushes.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Those tubes kill brushes in my experience

protomexican
May 1, 2009
Really? I have a W&N 7 size 1 that's lasted me 2 years storing it that way. I only use it for top layers, edge highlights, eyes, and similarly fiddly details. When I'm done with it, I use master's brush soap, swish it in clean water, and store it bristles down in that tube.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

For me once the tube is off, it stays off (and the tube gets chucked into the "possibly use as pipes on a base" tub, waste not want not). Theres nothing intrinsically wrong with the tube, its just that I'm personally much more likely to slip up putting the tube on and pinch/trap bristles and ruin a point than I am to gently caress up rinsing the brush enough that leftover paint runs into the ferrule, because putting the brush away is the last thing I do when finishing painting (except emptying the water jug) and by that point I'm usually just on autopilot.

I mainly use cheap paintbrushes, and storing them like that I rarely have any particular issues tbh, just clean them thoroughly when you are done. Handle down, bristles up, thats the way we like to.... store our paintbrushes in a jar without worrying too much about them.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Painting some Plagueburst Crawlers and I wanted to save this picture for posterity.
It's almost too pretty to apply verdigris and corrosion to.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Is there a minis paint that changes color between blue and red? I'm wanting to make a HH/40k Thousands Sons army, and think it would be neat to have either a red armor that changes to blue or vice versa when the light hits it in certain ways. I'll also settle for red to purple or blue to purple, I'm just not sure if that's a thing that works at a small enough scale for the effect to work on minis.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Received some complaints that the original photos were too dark so I took new ones

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Randalor posted:

Is there a minis paint that changes color between blue and red? I'm wanting to make a HH/40k Thousands Sons army, and think it would be neat to have either a red armor that changes to blue or vice versa when the light hits it in certain ways. I'll also settle for red to purple or blue to purple, I'm just not sure if that's a thing that works at a small enough scale for the effect to work on minis.

There are several lines of paint that colorshift. Turbodork probably has the most robust selection of color combinations, but from my limited experience the effect is pretty minimal on infantry sized miniatures.

Looks wicked cool on vehicles though.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Verisimilidude posted:

Received some complaints that the original photos were too dark so I took new ones

Yeah tiger dude absolutely rips

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Bucnasti posted:

There are several lines of paint that colorshift. Turbodork probably has the most robust selection of color combinations, but from my limited experience the effect is pretty minimal on infantry sized miniatures.

Looks wicked cool on vehicles though.

Turbodork's Blue Raspberry looks like it's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the recommendation

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Randalor posted:

Turbodork's Blue Raspberry looks like it's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the recommendation

Small note with turbodork, if you want the effect you have to apply it with an airbrush.

Really good stuff though

protomexican
May 1, 2009

Bucnasti posted:

Painting some Plagueburst Crawlers and I wanted to save this picture for posterity.
It's almost too pretty to apply verdigris and corrosion to.

This is making me thirsty for Ecto Cooler.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

w00tmonger posted:

Small note with turbodork, if you want the effect you have to apply it with an airbrush.

Really good stuff though

You can get there with many (5-10) thin coats painted by hand, I've done it. Probably smoother with an air brush, but then again everything is.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Muir posted:

You can get there with many (5-10) thin coats painted by hand, I've done it. Probably smoother with an air brush, but then again everything is.

Same, did some lovely color-changing parasols with nothing but a brush.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Hey guys great news I’m barely an hour in my painting journey, and it’s off to an explosive start!

by explosive I mean ‘the paint wasnt coming out of the dropper bottle so I squeezed a little too hard only for the ENTIRE DROPPER to pop off and explode, covering me, my table, my ipad, half my tools and losing half the color in the bottle LOOOOLLL

Luckily I managed to rescue half the color off of my glass desk into an empty dropper bottle so I think I only lost around a third of the color in the bottle, it was a normal brown so thank gently caress I have plenty of alternatives.

Also, the most important part, the Ork I was working on escaped with just a single drop on it, thank goodness!

Brb gonna wipe the poo poo out of my ipad.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

by explosive I mean ‘the paint wasnt coming out of the dropper bottle so I squeezed a little too hard only for the ENTIRE DROPPER to pop off and explode, covering me, my table, my ipad, half my tools and losing half the color in the bottle LOOOOLLL

I guess it bears repeating, if you try to force something and it doesn't work, stop, and see why it doesn't work :)

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey guys great news I’m barely an hour in my painting journey, and it’s off to an explosive start!

Luckily I managed to rescue half the color off of my glass desk into an empty dropper bottle so I think I only lost around a third of the color in the bottle, it was a normal brown so thank gently caress I have plenty of alternatives.

Also, the most important part, the Ork I was working on escaped with just a single drop on it, thank goodness!

I know people love to hate on GW pots, but this is why I prefer them over dropper bottles.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Al-Saqr posted:

glad you learned first hand how dropper bottles work lol
some brands (scale 75 for sure) have their tips sealed and you need to poke a hole in it with something

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Dec 21, 2022

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

that's a classic

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

The only thing wrong with this dude is that he's not on the side of a van, possibly having a duel with a wizard.

Al-Saqr posted:

I'm only slightly less new than you, but my painting setup is a Frameworks thing with the sprues inside and my extra brushes shoved in, so you're way ahead of me there, and I am not envious at all.

She's not an Ork like yours, but I started on this lady recently (friend picked her up from some local con)

The metal is the only thing he's done, I redid the white and the hair/tail, and I'm torn between stripping the paint off of it or just touching it up. I really love the turquoise of the cloth, I think that it will look really nice when all is done, it's Elemental Bolt by Army Painter

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Just yesterday I was wearing my t-shirt that is now indelibly splattered with droplets of beautiful red orange color shift Turbo Dork paint from squeezing a bottle too hard. You’ve been properly anointed into the hobby now.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Testing some contrasts for some Fallout Wasteland Warfare Mirelurk Hatchlings + Eggs, I think I'll need to drybrush these, they're coming out quite dark

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 21, 2022

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Apologies if there's a better spot for this (in that case, point me to it please!) but I am looking to get into Kill Team and I have never enjoyed painting minis and am looking to solve this problem with money. Are there any goons doing commissions or anyone goons would recommend to assemble and paint up a kill team?

Considering Tau but also Guard if I can find Praetorian minis or if someone can 3d print them.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Testing some contrasts for some Fallout Wasteland Warfare Mirelurk Hatchlings + Eggs, I think I'll need to drybrush these, they're coming out quite dark

The forbidden mini eggs.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Painting is hard at first but you will be able to see leaps of improvement between models. I keep my first model out where I can see him to track my progress and get a lot of personal satisfaction out of it. I’d recommend trying it out!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My boyfriend sent me a box of the wildspire townsfolk minis for Christmas! an excellent fellow he is. I can't wait to paint 'three goblins in a trenchcoat'.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Seems good enough to me

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Al-Saqr posted:

Fellas, is it forbidden to be madly in love with your new painting setup? I wasnt expecting it to be so picturesque! :swoon: :vince:

Rate my setup plz!

For what it's worth that drying rack for brushes can still be used. Put some double sided tape, or a magent strip, on the bottom of it and stick it to something upside down. You can stick your brushes in there pretty firmly and they'll hang from it without dropping. That's I recommend a magnet or Velcro, so you can pull it down and put it in your table as a rack in use then use then hang it back up for drying.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

The baptism of paint is an essential step in every painter's journey.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Serperoth posted:

She's not an Ork like yours, but I started on this lady recently (friend picked her up from some local con)

The metal is the only thing he's done, I redid the white and the hair/tail, and I'm torn between stripping the paint off of it or just touching it up. I really love the turquoise of the cloth, I think that it will look really nice when all is done, it's Elemental Bolt by Army Painter
Looks solid, everything seems to be inside the lines. You just need to add shading and highlighting, which can be as easy as a wash and a drybrush.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Radiation Cow posted:

The baptism of paint is an essential step in every painter's journey.

Right after I finished that sculpture I posted a few pages back, I decided the final touch would be one single last drop of polymer gloss on the lady bug to give it a bit more sheen, but the bottle had a slight clog and I decided that instead of clearing it, violently squirting about $5 all over my table was a better idea.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Siivola posted:

Looks solid, everything seems to be inside the lines. You just need to add shading and highlighting, which can be as easy as a wash and a drybrush.

I also need to paint the rest of her armour, re-do the painted armour parts, and complete her face etc, she's half-primer right now.

I like how the colours I've picked so far seem to pop, and the two different browns. Still not yet decided on how I want to detail her, but I'll probably have something after the wash. Could do some patches on her fur, maybe some spatter or something on the mace. Still learning the ropes so inside the lines is a good start, especially as I look towards more than a single model at a time (thinking of picking up the Warhammer Underworlds set with the lizardfolk, Starblood Stalkers)

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

WiP Morko from Metal Squig!

this is the first time I've painted an actual warhammer unit since 2002 I think, the camera makes the red look ALOT more flat and vibrant than it is in real life, and for some reason it removed alot of the orange that lines the hair. I'll see if I can accentuate the red clothing folds a bit more. I'm not sure where to go from there if at all, any advice and criticism to really up my game would be greatly appreciated! Obviously in the final pass I will clean up lines and stitches and stuff.

my main problem areas:-

the eyes, I am deathly afraid of them, I tried dabbing red to give the ork angry red eyes but not only is it not vibrant at all no matter how softly I dab it just splats in there in a really ugly way, I got flashbacks to that badly painted imperial guardsman and stopped when I could still do so.

once I get some feedback, I'll apply them and then actually make an attempt at basing.

thanks!

Also, I am going to go buy a cheap LED light for next time I photograph progress, any recommendations? keyword:- CHEAP.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

the eyes, I am deathly afraid of them, I tried dabbing red to give the ork angry red eyes but not only is it not vibrant at all no matter how softly I dab it just splats in there in a really ugly way, I got flashbacks to that badly painted imperial guardsman and stopped when I could still do so.
1. paint eyes as pure white dots (none of the off-white stuff, go for the most eyefuckingly bright one available)
2. paint eyes red
3. paint a tiny dot of yellow in the center, yellows have lovely coverage so it'll end up as just a highlight which is what you want

If/when you gently caress up and paint outside the lines, just use a darker version of whatever wash/ink you use to shade the flesh to clean it up, in 90% of cases it should be enough.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Pierzak posted:

1. paint eyes as pure white dots (none of the off-white stuff, go for the most eyefuckingly bright one available)
2. paint eyes red
3. paint a tiny dot of yellow in the center, yellows have lovely coverage so it'll end up as just a highlight which is what you want

If/when you gently caress up and paint outside the lines, just use a darker version of whatever wash/ink you use to shade the flesh to clean it up, in 90% of cases it should be enough.

I think it was Sonic Sledgehammer who did a video on eyes and suggested the process of painting the skin as desired, postponing the wash, painting the eyes as desired, clean up the skin as needed, THEN applying the wash, and just using a small brush to wick the wash out of the eyes.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Way better than my method of doing the face, screwing up the eyes and swearing a lot, then fixing the face

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The method I like is to base coat the face then paint the eyes, and then layer up highlights on the face while fixing any mistakes I made while painting the eyes. I also don't like doing pupils sometimes as I want the iris to be a major focus and I don't want to bring the model to a 50x microscope to paint those

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Whoops wrong thread sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Al-Saqr posted:

WiP Morko from Metal Squig!

this is the first time I've painted an actual warhammer unit since 2002 I think, the camera makes the red look ALOT more flat and vibrant than it is in real life, and for some reason it removed alot of the orange that lines the hair. I'll see if I can accentuate the red clothing folds a bit more. I'm not sure where to go from there if at all, any advice and criticism to really up my game would be greatly appreciated! Obviously in the final pass I will clean up lines and stitches and stuff.

my main problem areas:-

once I get some feedback, I'll apply them and then actually make an attempt at basing.

thanks!

Also, I am going to go buy a cheap LED light for next time I photograph progress, any recommendations? keyword:- CHEAP.

Photography is its own hobby and skillset so don't feel bad that your phone's automatic settings gently caress everything up because they're mostly designed for either selfies or portraits.

Orks in 40k generally have eyes in the red, orange to yellow range without pupils which makes life super easy, actually. Best way to do it is fill in the eye socket with black or green mixed with black to give you the shadows of the eye socket. Then apply some red, thinly. You may need a few coats to build up a decent enough layer of dark red. Then apply a few thin layers of orange over the red but leaving some red visible at the extremes. Then do the same with yellow just in the middle of the eye and for extra pop maybe a tiny dot of white right in the middle of the yellow slightly blended out. Yes, you're manually painting a gradient that takes you like what 10 seconds to do in Photoshop/CSP but that's just how painting works with acrylic paints.