Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Aquila posted:

I'm shopping for a 718 Boxster and trying to figure out which options are worth considering or if I should order one.

Performance/handling options:
Active Suspension (PASM)
Differential (PTV)
Power steering plus
Extended fuel tank (2.6 more gallons)
Wheels (which size wheel will have the best tire options)

Comfort:
Ventilated seats (I've had a roadster before, this seems like a must)
14 or 18 way seats

Convenience:
Lane change assist (seems nice to have)
Adaptive cruise control (seems nice to have)
Porsche Entry
Upgraded stereo
Nav
Led or Bi-Xenon headlights (two different options, cost about the same, is one better or worse?)

Sales guy said that 2024 will likely be the last model year of the Boxster, is there any validity to this? I'm looking for a second fun car to drive, have garage, paid for suv that I'm keeping, etc. I can't see much reason to go for a T, S, GTS, or Spyder.

What are you using the car for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

What are you using the car for?

Enjoying living in a nice part of California, enjoying having a convertible. No or minimal time on a race track, mainly because they're all 3+ hours away.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Aquila posted:

Enjoying living in a nice part of California, enjoying having a convertible. No or minimal time on a race track, mainly because they're all 3+ hours away.

Weekend car or daily driver?

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Motronic posted:

Weekend car or daily driver?

Weekend / second car.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I'm the kind of weirdo would would buy the total base model with the base motor and just have a freaking blast if that's all I was doing with it.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Aquila posted:

I'm shopping for a 718 Boxster and trying to figure out which options are worth considering or if I should order one.

Active Suspension (PASM)
Differential (PTV)
Power steering plus
Extended fuel tank (2.6 more gallons)
Wheels (which size wheel will have the best tire options)

Comfort:
Ventilated seats (I've had a roadster before, this seems like a must)
14 or 18 way seats

Convenience:
Lane change assist (seems nice to have)
Adaptive cruise control (seems nice to have)
Porsche Entry
Upgraded stereo
Nav
Led or Bi-Xenon headlights (two different options, cost about the same, is one better or worse?)

Sales guy said that 2024 will likely be the last model year of the Boxster, is there any validity to this? I'm looking for a second fun car to drive, have garage, paid for suv that I'm keeping, etc. I can't see much reason to go for a T, S, GTS, or Spyder.

I would definitely try out the DCT and manual box with whichever engine you're looking at. I found the DCT annoying with the base engine but others don't agree. I'd get the manual. I'd also get the GTS 4.0 but that is a bunch more money.

I wouldn't get the most expensive seats, I have the 18-way sport seats in the Taycan and tbh the Boxster with the basic sport plus seats were excellent. Again, something you need to try.

The PASM is great in the Taycan but it's more of a cruiser than the 718. I'd get PTV though. Power steering plus is probably no benefit.

Lane change assist is not really needed because it's a small car and has pretty good visibility. It's tbh not amazing in the Taycan anyway and I always do a shoulder check. Adaptive cruise needs ths DCT but I'd get it if available.

Definitely definitely get carplay and an upgraded stereo, likely Bose is standard in CA but I had the fully basic one and it sucked.

What I would get would be a fairly stripped down GTS in Indian Red with manual box, midsize wheels and a good stereo.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Motronic posted:

I'm the kind of weirdo would would buy the total base model with the base motor and just have a freaking blast if that's all I was doing with it.

This was my previous sports car, a base model first year Z4 and I loved it.

knox_harrington posted:

I would definitely try out the DCT and manual box with whichever engine you're looking at. I found the DCT annoying with the base engine but others don't agree. I'd get the manual. I'd also get the GTS 4.0 but that is a bunch more money.
I'm test driving a 2021 with the DCT soon, finding a 6 speed will be harder, porsche of santa barbara may have one. I'm pretty much done with shifting, so unless I hate the DCT that's my preference. This is a $3200 option

quote:

I wouldn't get the most expensive seats, I have the 18-way sport seats in the Taycan and tbh the Boxster with the basic sport plus seats were excellent. Again, something you need to try.
Yeah, what I meant is either of the 14 or 18 over the 2 way, they are $2100/3600 options

quote:

The PASM is great in the Taycan but it's more of a cruiser than the 718. I'd get PTV though. Power steering plus is probably no benefit.
What does PASM do?

quote:

Lane change assist is not really needed because it's a small car and has pretty good visibility. It's tbh not amazing in the Taycan anyway and I always do a shoulder check. Adaptive cruise needs ths DCT but I'd get it if available.
Visibility in a convertible is only good with the top down, with it up it's pretty bad.

quote:

Definitely definitely get carplay and an upgraded stereo, likely Bose is standard in CA but I had the fully basic one and it sucked.
Upgraded stereo is a $4700 option. Base has carplay.

quote:

What I would get would be a fairly stripped down GTS in Indian Red with manual box, midsize wheels and a good stereo.

Regular, T, S, GTS, Spyder: 65500, 74600, 77500 , 92400, 103400. Wheel sizes available are 18, 19, and 20, but unless I hear that 19 has vastly better tire selection I'm probably going 18. I do think the Spyder looks immensely better than the regular boxster, but not $40,000 better.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I just checked the US configurator and you can get sports plus seats for $440, get that.

PASM is the electronically controlled dampers. Looks like it's actuallycompulsory with PTV.

For the visibility and Lane Change Assist, yes you would think it would be difficult with the roof up but I had no problems. Again give it a go but I probably wouldn't bother.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Motronic posted:

I rented a total base model 718 Boxster (PDK) off Turo for a week on the California north coast and loving loved it. The suspension was much better than my 996 on the less that great roads and the engine sounded fine to me.

That said, I'd probably go for the Boxster T if I were buying in the next 12 months. Don't think any of the options would actually matter to me, but I like the little stying details over the base model and assume it will hold its value a little better.

I'll probably end up holding out for an EV Boxster though.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
So long Porsche crew, sold my 45k mile 987 boxster for a wrx after a $4600 check engine light.

I will be back some day but for now I traded in my leather jacket for a flannel.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

ColHannibal posted:

So long Porsche crew, sold my 45k mile 987 boxster for a wrx after a $4600 check engine light.

I will be back some day but for now I traded in my leather jacket for a flannel.

What happened?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Aquila posted:

Active Suspension (PASM)Nice to have but don't need it.
Differential (PTV) Don't need it.
Power steering plus People seem to dislike this.
Extended fuel tank (2.6 more gallons) Yes
Wheels (which size wheel will have the best tire options) Get 19s

Comfort:
Ventilated seats (I've had a roadster before, this seems like a must) Yes
14 or 18 way seats The 14 ways are more comfort oriented. The 18 ways are more sport oriented. The bargain is the 2 way sport seats plus if they fit you. Same shape as the 18s, less adjustable.

Convenience:
Lane change assist (seems nice to have) Get it if you want it.
Adaptive cruise control (seems nice to have) Ditto
Porsche Entry Embarrassing they make you pay for this, but that's Porsche for you.
Upgraded stereo Don't get the Burmester. Most people get the Bose.
Nav Nah, not for what they charge. You're going to use carplay anyways.
Led or Bi-Xenon headlights (two different options, cost about the same, is one better or worse?) LED is slightly better than Bi-Xenon.

Sales guy said that 2024 will likely be the last model year of the Boxster, is there any validity to this? I'm looking for a second fun car to drive, have garage, paid for suv that I'm keeping, etc. I can't see much reason to go for a T, S, GTS, or Spyder. Possible that 2024 is the last year for the ICE Boxster, yes, but that would be essentially cars built late 2023 - early 2024. MY changeover is in the early Fall 2024.

My sales guy says I'm not getting a car in early 2023. Maaaaybe 2024/2025. :sigh:

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Aquila posted:

This seems to be a contradiction.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I also live in a nice part of California and it's pretty great to have a sports car for awesome canyon road weekends, there's an endless supply of them here and temps in the 80's at Christmas is pretty solid too especially for top-down motoring.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

MrLogan posted:

E: I think I understood the wrong way :shobon:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 23, 2022

dema
Aug 13, 2006

MrLogan posted:

Right. Off the top of my head, CA has Thunder Hill, Sonoma, Laguna Seca, Willow Springs and Thermal? I guess you could live 3+ hours from one of those, but that's a pretty solid distribution.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

willroc7 posted:

What happened?

Seal deep In the engine was causing a vacuum leak and the shop had to pull the transmission.

And while there they found a bad axel.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Well good thing subarus never leak or eat bearings. You really dodged a bullet there.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

Useful information and opinions

Thank you!

Today I test drove a Boxster S with 7 speed PDK and loved it, then ordered: http://www.porschecode.com/PPTMKMY9 with expected delivery of 4-6 months. Non S, I don't think I'll miss the power with the kind of driving I'll be doing. I did order the PASM because I learned that comfort mode is apparently a nicer ride then without it, and https://www.dscsport.com/product/dsc-sport-v3-controller/ is available for even more control. No PTV because even though it does add an LSD most of the functionality comes from rear braking, it's only noticeable on a track, and it wears rear brakes quickly. 18" wheels for ride quality. Bright blue because every car is boring flat grey now (spoken as someone who has the vehicle that started the flat grey fad).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Congrats!
4-6 month delivery is way better than I expected tbh.

A friend of mine tried to order a 911 and they wouldn't even take his order.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
That’s a great color. I have only seen that on GT3s but it looks great on the Boxster. Well done.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Congrats! Love the shark blue: if I ever get the chance to order a Cayman next year, shark blue is at the top of the list if I don’t go crazy!

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Why wait when there are two specced almost exactly how I want already at dealers or on the way.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

That blue is such a good color. Good find!

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Nice! That color is really great. What are the specs?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Aquila posted:

Why wait when there are two specced almost exactly how I want already at dealers or on the way.

Love that color!

:sigh:

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

Love that color!

:sigh:

dema posted:

Nice! That color is really great. What are the specs?

NitroSpazzz posted:

That blue is such a good color. Good find!

2023 718 Boxster T in Shark Blue
PDK
Extended Range Fuel Tank
Premium Package
Smoking Package
Clear Taillights
Supplemental Safety Bars in Exterior Color

Premium package includes: Heated steering wheel, folding side mirrors, light design package, luggage net in passenger footwell, Porsche Entry & Drive, and Lane Change assist. Sometimes premium package includes the Bose stereo, but availability on that has been very limited due to supply chain issues (and my car doesn't have it).

A Boxster T is a base 2.0 with the following options and changes standard:
Sport PASM lowered 20mm (normally only on GTS and above) and sway bars from the GTS
PTV (LSD)
Sport Chronograph (this adds several important features and active engine mounts)
Race-Tex seats (fancy cloth seats, not synthetic suede)
Sport tail pipes
Hard to use fabric strap interior door pulls instead of normal, functional, door handles
20" Carrera S wheels in titanium grey (exclusive color)
Side mirrors in titanium grey (they really should offer the whole car in this color, it looks great)

It does not include the larger brakes from the GTS (and not an option). There is no special performance tuning or lightened materials.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Nice!
nth the color

So are there now cars in stock that don't have stupid markups past MSRP?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Aquila posted:

A Boxster T is a base 2.0 with the following options and changes standard:

Sport Chronograph (this adds several important features and active engine mounts)

From my couple of weeks driving one around Spain, sport chrono is a must have for the 2.0. Normal drive mode on the PDK wants to shift into a high gear as soon as possible so being able to twist the dial into Sport is v helpful.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

slidebite posted:

Nice!
nth the color

So are there now cars in stock that don't have stupid markups past MSRP?

Depends on alot of things. Most people are still paying some markup for the more desirable models, like GTS 4.0, Spyder, etc, but even those are recently being sold at MSRP in some cases. Unobtainable models like the GT4 and GT3 RS variants are still heavily backlogged and marked up, keep in mind these have always been marked up. There's also significant differences between allocations for custom orders and dealer stock / cars on the lot. Calling every dealer in the state/area/country, carefully watching Porsche's finder website or using a broker will get you a car significantly faster and/or cheaper then walking into your local dealer and accepting whatever markup or wait time they tell you. Note most dealers still have waitlists for allocations for all 911 and 718 models, or no allocations at all. Don't order a car if they don't give you an allocation.

Edit: Goddamn this would have been insane https://finder.porsche.com/us/en-US/details/porsche-718-boxster-gts-40-new-P6MW8G and only $20,000 more than the $10,000 more I mean to spend originally. Note, car not at dealer, this means it's been produced for dealer stock (or a cancelled customer order) but is still being delivered.

Aquila fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 22, 2023

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"
I joined the club over the weekend, picked up a Gentian Blue 718 GTS 4.0. This car is amazing.

Joined PCA in Golden Gate Region and am starting to plan track days. My plan is to do the HPDE event at Thunderhill in April. I’ve tracked my STI there before, a long time ago, but this car is a whole new thing. I’m excited!

Here’s the options list. Having this thing debadged and with black rotors makes it a teeny bit of a sleeper.

Description
7-speed Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
20" 911 Turbo Wheels
Heated Multifunction Steering Wheel
Deletion of Model Designation on Rear
Ventilated Seats
Smoking Package
Deletion of "GTS 4.0" Decal on Doors
Deletion of Race-Tex
Steering Wheel and Gear Lever in Leather
BOSE® Surround Sound System
Smartphone Compartment
Power Sport Seats (14-way) with Memory Package Premium Package
Brake Calipers in High Gloss Black
Instrument Dials in White
Porsche Crest on Headrests
Headlight Cleaning System Covers Painted in Exterior Color
Center Console Lid with Model Logo
Exclusive Design Fuel Cap

TeMpLaR fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Mar 9, 2023

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Awesome. Going to need a pic!

I had to take the Taycan to the garage and they had this thing in the showroom.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

TeMpLaR posted:

I joined the club over the weekend, picked up a Gentian Blue 718 GTS 4.0. This car is amazing.

Joined PCA in Golden Gate Region and am starting to plan track days. My plan is to do the HPDE event at Thunderhill in April. I’ve tracked my STI there before, a long time ago, but this car is a whole new thing. I’m excited!

Congratulations. This is basically my T with the 4.0L H6, I am envious. I think my PCA chapter (CCCR) and Golden Gate share some events, so we may see each other. I've so far registered for local Autocross, Buttonwillow in May, and Laguna Seca in June.

On Saturday the weather cleared enough to go our for a drive and I found an empty and winding stretch of road that was absolutely amazing to drive. I am still amazed at how well behaved it is when not in sport mode and how perfectly it handles when I turn that on.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

TeMpLaR posted:

Photos please.

Bay Area has so much good driving.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I saw a Gentian Blue Boxster while pulling into LAX yesterday. It is a great color. Congrats!

What the hell is this though and how much did they charge you to not do it?
Deletion of Model Designation on Rear Ventilated Seats

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I assumed it was embossed or embroidered "Boxster" or "Cayman" on the seats but... rear?

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

slidebite posted:

I assumed it was embossed or embroidered "Boxster" or "Cayman" on the seats but... rear?

Likely the case and rear means seatback headrests. I've seen at a minimum: 718, Boxster, Cayman, Spyder, and the Porsche logo embroidered or embossed there.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Deletion of Model Designation on Rear means ditching the “Cayman GTS 4.0” sticker on the back bumper.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

OHH

so he just combined 2 options.

Should be:

*Deletion of Model Designation on Rear
*Ventilated Seats

That makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"

Aquila posted:

Congratulations. This is basically my T with the 4.0L H6, I am envious. I think my PCA chapter (CCCR) and Golden Gate share some events, so we may see each other. I've so far registered for local Autocross, Buttonwillow in May, and Laguna Seca in June.

I will be at button willow and laguna as well! Will shoot you a PM.

Here are two pictures https://imgur.com/a/vPN04Sy

TeMpLaR fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 9, 2023