Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

veni veni veni posted:

I think that was the last time they were on sale right?

I dunno they used to be on sale like every month it seemed like. It almost feels like something is up that goes beyond Bandai just being stingy. I do wonder if it's related to that exploit thats (supposedly) fixed now. If they just decided to do a Nintendo with Dark Souls out of nowhere it seems like they wouldn't be putting them on sale in console storefronts either.

Yeah I just checked: it looks like they went on sale a total of 6 times (most of the time for 75% off) in 2021, including the 2021 holiday sale, but haven't had any sales in 2022.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
The online servers for the older PC Dark Souls games being shut down due to exploit bugs probably influenced them not being on sale so as not to promote a partially defective product.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Terminally Bored posted:

It's a really good story about unionizing. What didn't you like about it?

It has all the finesse and logical throughline of a Neil Breen flick attempting to tackle similarly complex subject matter, and they keep hammering it into my face in the one place the game needed it least: to pad an already grindy experience in between the gameplay sections with unskippable monologues.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MonkeyforaHead posted:

It has all the finesse and logical throughline of a Neil Breen flick attempting to tackle similarly complex subject matter, and they keep hammering it into my face in the one place the game needed it least: to pad an already grindy experience in between the gameplay sections with unskippable monologues.

Oh just like Outer Worlds

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hardspace would've been fine if all the story was exclusively relegated to happen while you were working. They can babble on as much as they want as long as get to play the game.

Sinatrapod
Sep 24, 2007

The "Latin" is too dangerous, my queen!
I liked Hardspace a lot but I honestly think it would have been better off as a pure sci-fi work sim with less of the... everything else. Maybe just have some themed radio stations, but it barely needs any of the storytelling or upgrading tree or a timer or anything else. I want to solve interesting ship-cutting problems and navigate zero gravity, all the other things feel like they just interfere with that.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The Kins posted:

Hopoo are developing RoR Returns. Based on their blog post on the store page, this is their last dance with the franchise before moving onto new ventures with their Gearbox money.

My mistake.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

veni veni veni posted:

It's such bullshit that you can just buy all of the Dark Souls games+ all of their respective DLC on disc for console brand new in a collection for $40 and I have been waiting for a decent price on them for PC for well over a year no without a single sale. Even digitally they still go on sale on console, but nope, not for PC. Guess I just have to never have these games on PC or pay like $175 for 3 old as hell games that I already own on other platforms. They even used to go on sale all the time on Steam. loving garbage. I give up.

I gave up waiting on Dark Souls: Remastered and bought it for £28 on CD Keys (vs £35 on Steam). Sort of regret nothing either. It's still phenomenal and plays so well on Deck.

I'm praying Elden Ring goes on sale tomorrow.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Elden Ring has sparked renewed interest in Fromsoftware's older games. It's possible the publisher figured that they're selling well enough that discounts are unnecessary.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I dunno they used to be on sale like every month it seemed like. It almost feels like something is up that goes beyond Bandai just being stingy. I do wonder if it's related to that exploit thats (supposedly) fixed now. If they just decided to do a Nintendo with Dark Souls out of nowhere it seems like they wouldn't be putting them on sale in console storefronts either.

elden ring came out and lots of non-ds players bought it and likely wouldve bene interested in them so they wanted to make money. ive solved the mystery for you

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i shoudlve read the newest post. my deepest apologies to you fair poster.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nintendo puts their games on sale all the time

That they don't is one of the stranger goon myths

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's safe to play the restored online modes, right?

I started up DS2 the other day and there was a co op sign at one of the bonfires, seeing someone still willing to help others on a weeknight in such an old game evoked that Dark Soul theme of loneliness and struggle, bless you, nameless undead undead :unsmith:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

This is a 5-year old game.

I mean, they have sales but they are both rare and not that good compared to steam's.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You did one better than me.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

JASON. JAAAASON. JASON!!!!

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Tiny Timbs posted:

They have some modest fixed sale price points but the full price never goes down. All first party Nintendo games are full priced forever.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Please buy our $15+ Amiibo DLC for stuff like new difficulty or some lovely weapon texture.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

and i will

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Volte posted:

They have some modest fixed sale price points but the full price never goes down. All first party Nintendo games are full priced forever.

Yep

Activision used to do this for Call of duty games on console also.
The thinking is that reducing the price "devalues" the IP. Which I suppose technically it does, but not in the way they think.

Mario kart 8 delux is a remaster of a Wii-U game, that was a switch launch title. It is still $59.99.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Do you want Easy Mode for Pokemon Black? Please buy and complete a copy of Pokemon White.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mega Comrade posted:

Yep

The thinking is that reducing the price "devalues" the IP. Which I suppose technically it does, but not in the way they think.

Mario kart 8 delux is a remaster of a Wii-U game, that was a switch launch title. It is still $59.99.

what they're probably thinking is that, mario kart 8 deluxe has sold about 50 million units, at full price

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

lunar detritus posted:

I mean, they have sales but they are both rare and not that good compared to steam's.

Steam has us pretty spoiled. There was a long period where you could get almost every AAA game for $20 or less.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
When Nintendo's eshop closes for the 3DS in a few months there will be many games I would've bought and shoved off into the backlog, like Steam, if they ever had a sale at all.

When the heck is Live A Live going to show up on Steam? Was that not a Square Enix game? Would like to play that someday without buying another handheld, and I'm too lazy for :filez:

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Mega Comrade posted:

Yep

Call of Duty "sales" are still absolutely hilarious.

Infact Activision being Activision is probably why Sekiro discounts have always been poo poo as well, even before the success of Elden Ring.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

Yep

I've always heard COD stays $60 because they want you to buy this year's version to boost the AMU's / more likely to buy skins & DLC to show off in the game that actually has a playerbase.

Seems way more plausible to me :shrug:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Volte posted:

Up until the Switch this wasn't true. Nintendo used to have a Player's Choice/Selects discounted line as recently as the 3DS. They've also dropped the base price of some non-Selects 3DS games over time too.

Now, sure, we're talking about 4-6 year old games here and they haven't done that at all for the Switch yet.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Up until the Switch this wasn't true. Nintendo used to have a Player's Choice/Selects discounted line as recently as the 3DS. They've also dropped the base price of some non-Selects 3DS games over time too.

Now, sure, we're talking about 4-6 year old games here and they haven't done that at all for the Switch yet.
It was true on the Wii U too as far as I remember.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Has there been a steam sale since they got the last remaining DS game back online? I thought they only got the last one back up after the most recent sale. if they still aren’t on sale tomorrow then yeah that’s weird.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Anyone getting really bad screen tearing in high on life and know how I can fix it? Not seeing anything on Google. I have a 165hz monitor with a 3080. Not seeing any in-game settings to even see what fps it's running it?

I really wanna play it, but this is making it really uncomfortable to play :(

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Apparently Devolver has some kind of promotional event kicking off tomorrow morning at 10AM PST (aka when the Steam sale kicks off), it'll be over here.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

what they're probably thinking is that, mario kart 8 deluxe has sold about 50 million units, at full price
Aren't a bunch of those "sales" bundled with consoles?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

buying a console plus a game is more expensive than buying just a game at full price, usually

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Harminoff posted:

Anyone getting really bad screen tearing in high on life and know how I can fix it? Not seeing anything on Google. I have a 165hz monitor with a 3080. Not seeing any in-game settings to even see what fps it's running it?

Steam Overlay has a built in FPS counter that I use.

Also check your Nvidia 3D settings that you have Vsync set to Always On. Assuming you are using a gsync monitor, you'll want Gsync on and Vsync on in these settings.

Then it's a game-by-game basis for if you turn on the in-game Vsync and fps limiter, as every game handles this a little differently. I first try to limit the fps to the refresh rate that I'm running on the monitor and turn the in-game Vsync off. Although, sometimes I need to turn the game's Vsync on in order for it to look smooth.

Also, check if the game allows you to set the refresh rate, either coupled with the resolution setting or a stand-alone setting. if your monitor is set to 165 and the game is trying to refresh at 120 or something that could have weird effects.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Harminoff posted:

Have you tried setting VSYNC to "on" for High on Life in the Nvidia Control panel? That usually works for me.

I recommend messing with your Nvidia control panel settings on a per game basis.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Harminoff posted:

your brain is activating counter measures to protect itself. dont ignore them.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Aren't a bunch of those "sales" bundled with consoles?

and

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Mega Comrade posted:

Yep

Nintendo games only get discounted if they're poo poo and nobody wants to play them. See: That zelda where you're a train

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Nintendo games only get discounted if they're poo poo and nobody wants to play them. See: That zelda where you're a train

That one was my kids big favourite back then, precisely because you got your own loving train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i wish i hadn't gotten a switch and held out for a steam deck, i don't even give much of a poo poo about nintendo first party games so the thing has mostly been a snes roms, picross, and megamans machine for me, and having two different game libraries after just having steam for so long is really annoying