Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

zoux posted:

Alright place your markers: How does the 2023 season end for the New York Mets?

Steve Cohen will literally buy the World Series, like the entire concept of it, and finally bring a championship home back to da METS, baby!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Kirios posted:

It's not this specifically. It's more that Cohan is showing how much of a joke the luxury tax really is. The Yankees could easily spend 400m on payroll. It would be a rounding error to Hal.

mcmagic rubbing off on you

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

zoux posted:

Alright place your markers: How does the 2023 season end for the New York Mets?

I'm kind of split, like if the Mets win the next five world series then boom. Maybe owners will start spending (lol no). But it will 100% get funnier and funnier with each year that they don't win so, like all things in life, I'm hoping for maximum funny

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

mets will continue getting bounced before reaching the world series because it's in their DNA. sorry folks, it's as clear as day

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

MrMidnight posted:

mcmagic rubbing off on you

Hahaha. Nah overall I'm very happy with the Astros off-season (they could also easily hit the luxury tax, but not to the level the Mets and Yankees can/could).

It's more the Yankees were this evil empire that dwarfed every other team's payrolls and they enjoyed the mystique. Now the shoe is on the other foot.

Hal is nothing like George.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Poque posted:

I'm kind of split, like if the Mets win the next five world series then boom. Maybe owners will start spending (lol no). But it will 100% get funnier and funnier with each year that they don't win so, like all things in life, I'm hoping for maximum funny

If the Mets win the next five world series it's far, far more likely they try to put new caps on spending than it is other owners try to keep up

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Intruder posted:

If the Mets win the next five world series it's far, far more likely they try to put new caps on spending than it is other owners try to keep up

the most weak-minded poo poo so yeah

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

on the one hand yeah, Cohen spending spree should motivate owners to spend big and what not

on the other hand, how can this kinda poo poo possibly compete https://twitter.com/james_schiano/status/1605611213118791680

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Tatsuta Age posted:

on the one hand yeah, Cohen spending spree should motivate owners to spend big and what not

on the other hand, how can this kinda poo poo possibly compete https://twitter.com/james_schiano/status/1605611213118791680

broke man should sell the team

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Bob Nutting should be forced to have pay for his baseball team or he should have a random yinzer take a whack at his knees with a baseball bat

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/1605615020292706308?s=46&t=_QMiO1xNvDMGHaAPe7kc5w

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Poque posted:

This way-overspending-on-free-agents stuff only works when one or maybe two owners are the only ones doing it. If every single owner opened up their wallets - if just like six did - they'd hoover up all the FAs and sign all the major prospects to long term deals. It's not like both the Mets and the Yankees could've signed theirown personal Carlos Correa, there isn't an Five Star Free Agent mine that could be developed. If all 30 owners were like "money is no object" then we'd just have the same distribution of players but on 10x contracts, or dudes would literally put themselves in penury to sign Michael Conforto to a 2 year, $500 million deal. So it's true that every team has an owner who could dominate the market (e: not the Reds) if they spent like Steve Cohen - they can all afford it, for sure. But it only works as long as there's only ~one owner who is willing to spend that kind of cash, and it rules when it's your team's turn but it makes everyone else mad.

On second thought, there is a five star free agent mine that is laying undeveloped, and if the owners really wanted to spend they could put just, so, so much more money into player development and international programs and the minor leagues and teams wouldn't do things like "sign a guy whose going to be pitching six no-hit innings in the world series in five years to a $1 contract" or make A ball players sleep in the Triangle Shirtwaist factory

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 21, 2022

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Tatsuta Age posted:

Central teams already have an advantage by only needing to beat the other self-immolating bucket of crabs in their division to have a shot at a playoff spot and thus, a world series title.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

zoux posted:

It's not like both the Mets and the Yankees could've signed theirown personal Carlos Correa

Superstar shortstop scarcity this offseason is a bad example :v:

exquisite tea posted:

Central teams already have an advantage by only needing to beat the other self-immolating bucket of crabs in their division to have a shot at a playoff spot and thus, a world series title.

Yes but they also have to contend with devil magic

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Tatsuta Age posted:

that math doesn't really add up unless the guy is absolutely loaded with debt, the Reds alone ought to be worth significantly more than that

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Bob Castellini is not the only person with ownership in the Reds.

From an ESPN article at the time of sale.

quote:

Castellini will serve as the new ownership's control person and Lindner will continue to have an interest in the Reds. W. Joseph Williams Jr. and Thomas L. Williams will also purchase significant ownership interests.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Intruder posted:

Superstar shortstop scarcity this offseason is a bad example :v:

Kind of the proof though isn't it. Half of the leagues best shortstops are on two teams which means that other teams don't have them, won't be as competitive. "Well then they should've simply spent more to get one of these elite shortstops if they wanted to compete", I cannot but agree, however that takes us into the billion-guaranteed-for-Gavin-Lux territory again

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Eh teams should just call up their top SS prospect to replace the best SS in the league and get similar production from the prospect. A+ would highly recommend!

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Julio Cruz posted:

so the Mets are currently looking like:

CF Nimmo
RF Marte
SS Lindor
3B Correa
1B Alonso
DH Alvárez
2B McNeil
LF Canha
C McCann/Narvaez

Verlander
Scherzer
Quintana
Senga
Carrasco/Peterson/Megill

and a bullpen anchored by Díaz, Robertson and Ottavino

that looks like a seriously stacked team
Not that any of the NL contenders have bulletproof rotations but the surest bet of that top 4 is the 33yo who had such a brutal 2021 the Pirates were his best offer last year. You've got a pair of old rear end dudes who are good and healthy (until they're not...) and Japanese import that has "first round prep pitcher" levels of reliever risk.

I'd still take that over most teams, but I think the Mets and Padres share the crown for "most likely to miss the playoffs due to rotation implosion"

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Kirios posted:

Okay but seriously what the gently caress is the Yankees excuse? You're literally the most valuable sports franchise in the world and you let your little brother run circles around your payroll?!

It's an absolute joke and a facade.

Because spending just enough to make the playoffs provides maximum ROI.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Move over Mets, you just got owned by the Pirates landing an absolute superstar:

https://twitter.com/ByRobertMurray/status/1605546790249328640

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I usually only check this thread when something large or wacky happens. Today it was both, and thank you to whoever posted that sports radio call. I'm dying.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Chatwood lol nooooooo

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

davecrazy posted:

MAGA Jake hated it here. He wants to not get vaccinated and drive his pickup. Texas is heaven for him. He was never staying.

This is a stupid fan take and pure conjecture

Also don't do this

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Now Im sad that Crane didn't just open up the pocketbook for Springer, Correa, and Verlander.

You built a superteam - just spend and keep it

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I wonder if Springer's days in Houston were numbered when they tried to use service time fuckery to coerce him into signing an Albies type deal before calling him up

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sydin posted:

Move over Mets, you just got owned by the Pirates landing an absolute superstar:

https://twitter.com/ByRobertMurray/status/1605546790249328640

Tyler..
BACKwood

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Man seeing Tyler Chatwood's name takes me back...back to the days of peak Cubs posting.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Tyler Chatwood last pitched in 2021 and was still walking roughly 1000 batters per 9 IP

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Intruder posted:

I wonder if Springer's days in Houston were numbered when they tried to use service time fuckery to coerce him into signing an Albies type deal before calling him up

I don't remember them doing this. I haven't read anything about hard feelings between Springer and the FO - the Astros were just unwilling to match the Blue Jays offer for a guy that should have been a 10+ year franchise cornerstone as beloved in Houston as Altuve.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/PAlberto_EXE/status/1605339930456006657

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Really hope Lacob or some other rich rear end in a top hat buys the Angels, moves them to LA, and starts dropping cash on player development.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

that math doesn't really add up unless the guy is absolutely loaded with debt, the Reds alone ought to be worth significantly more than that

It also doesn't really matter because the 2023 Reds payroll is less than the team will make solely from the national TV rights money every team gets.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Lumpy posted:

Because spending just enough to make the playoffs provides maximum ROI.
Technically true, particularly if including appreciation in the Return!

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Perfect. Also one of the most amazing endings in movie history btw

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

This but Chazz Palmintieri starts breaking out into love da Mets baby hit a home run let's fukken go

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Braves are obviously fighting for 2nd in this NL East but pretty astonishing that they have a chance of competing at all. glad this is the year the balanced schedule kicks in.

and paying 35 mil for the privilege, apparently

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

IcePhoenix posted:

Do you think he gets booed louder in LA or SF this year?

There’s not going to be a single Giants fan in the stands of Oracle Park next season.

Giants are so hosed.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Ammat The Ankh posted:

There’s not going to be a single Giants fan in the stands of Oracle Park next season.

Giants are so hosed.

There's been nothing but "never going to another Giants game" and "Farhan better apologize and give an explanation NOW" from the SF radio callers this morning. Don't blame them one bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is this odd year bullshit??