Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Seems that the pack will feature new cards like Aki Shari(!) and Rexterm(!!). Now where's Deer Note?

Edit: er, I'm reading that wrong and they're in a new pack, but hey they're coming soon.

https://twitter.com/MasterDuelSite/status/1604305705078513668?t=-K3nBj4Z2MH852ZeJOG8nQ&s=19

I'm actually rather enjoying the last hours of Duelist Cup. Sometimes it feels like bullying, but it feels real good sticking it to Runick. I'm shocked at how consistently I've ended on Empen + Dark Simorgh + Anti-Spell + Maxx C.

Iserlohn fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Dec 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I just keep running into burn. Are they bots?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Charles Bukowski posted:

I just keep running into burn. Are they bots?

Yeah, it's bots. It's either Nurse Burn grinding for extra gems/tickets or SelFTK grinding the Duel Pass.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Nah, running into bad chain burn like alot alot at this event im doing last minute.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Charles Bukowski posted:

Nah, running into bad chain burn like alot alot at this event im doing last minute.

Oh, then no, that's not a bot.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Does Scareclaw run something that auto-negates hand traps? I just had a match where I tried to use Maxx C at the start of their turn, but it immediately fizzled without showing what actually negated it

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Resolved without effect.

If you say the f word 7 judges descend on you swat team style to cry about people talking like humans and not rulings text books.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Regalingualius posted:

Does Scareclaw run something that auto-negates hand traps? I just had a match where I tried to use Maxx C at the start of their turn, but it immediately fizzled without showing what actually negated it

Assuming you mean the opponent was playing Scareclaw, they do have Scareclaw Sclash:

Once per turn: You can target 1 "Scareclaw" monster or "Visas Starfrost" you control; it can attack while in face-up Defense Position this turn. If it does, apply its ATK or DEF (whichever is higher) for damage calculation. When your opponent activates a card or effect, while you control a "Scareclaw" monster in the Extra Monster Zone: You can send this face-up card to the GY; negate that effect. You can only use this effect of "Scareclaw Sclash" once per turn.

Otherwise I have no idea

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Did you use Called by the Grave on your opponent's Maxx C on the previous turn?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Resolved without effect.

If you say the f word 7 judges descend on you swat team style to cry about people talking like humans and not rulings text books.

*jumps out of a closet, waving my hands around*

SPEEELL SPEEEEEED FOOOOUUUUR~!!!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Did you use Called by the Grave on your opponent's Maxx C on the previous turn?

Think so, yeah; had a Chain war where they used theirs, I Ash’d it, they Nobleman’d my Ash, and I Called their Maxx C, IIRC

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Regalingualius posted:

Think so, yeah; had a Chain war where they used theirs, I Ash’d it, they Nobleman’d my Ash, and I Called their Maxx C, IIRC

Called By affect all cards of the same original name which include your own cards.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah and note that it lasts until the end of the next turn, not just this one.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
There is nothing so much more satisfying then when the opponent burns an ash or maxx c on thier own called by

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Lipstick Apathy
Summoning Dark Simorgh against Labrynth before they can set any cards is pretty darn satisfying.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Lipstick Apathy
Petered out at lvl 19. Good enough for me. Uh, Runick's gotta go. It's frustrating because independently, it's not a great deck. But it basically patches up every weakness with floodgate Eldlich. I only lost to it once, but it still doesn't feel fun to play against while deliberately playing an anti-meta deck focused on beating Runick. I'd rather lose to something like HERO than win grinding through all of Runick's floodgates.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Here is the current known list of the top 10 players of Stage 2:

1. Adamancipator
2. Floowandereeze
3. Floowandereeze
4. Runick
5. Grass Branded Despia
6. Virtual World
7. Adamancipator (first two days) and Runick (for rest)
8. Floowandereeze
9. Floowandereeze
10. Tenyi Swordsoul and Branded Despia

Here are some of the decklists:

2nd place
3rd place
1st place

7th place

Another thing to note is that the 3rd place player was the first one to reach 60,000 points and was first place for a decent amount of time, but he decided to sleep. And when he woke up, he saw his 3rd placing with a few hours until the event ended and decided not to play anymore.

Flair fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 22, 2022

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
41 cards, 2 maxx c, my new favorite deck

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Lipstick Apathy
You're kidding me, 1 Empen and no S/T removal. I guess you just draw the 1-of Evenly, huh.

Surprised there wasn't more Branded representation. I harped on Runick, but I wouldn't mind if Branded got hit on the next banlist.

lol at Drytron making it in

Edit: Glife isn't real

Iserlohn fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 19, 2022

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Iserlohn posted:

You're kidding me, 1 Empen and no S/T removal. I guess you just draw the 1-of Evenly, huh.

Surprised there wasn't more Branded representation. I harped on Runick, but I wouldn't mind if Branded got hit on the next banlist.

I am also surprised that Swordsoul was not more represented given the data on meta website (though it comes with a selection bias).

If you are interested, 3rd place has streams of his Stage 2 performance: https://www.youtube.com/@kg9504/streams

edit: If anyone wants to see VODs of the 9th place player (who is a Vtuber btw), https://www.twitch.tv/nezutiyo/videos?filter=archives&sort=time

Flair fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 20, 2022

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Everyone know how to deal with swordsoul’s 3-4 bosses and their end board by now.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
They only open all of their extenders every time I play against them, not all the time in general.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Just wondering, if anyone knows off-hand: are there any Number XYZs that do what Hope Harbinger Dragon does (negate + attach an activated spell), but for traps?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Regalingualius posted:

Just wondering, if anyone knows off-hand: are there any Number XYZs that do what Hope Harbinger Dragon does (negate + attach an activated spell), but for traps?
I checked the wiki, there’s none for Numbered.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Ahh, well, was worth a shot; I’ve just been running into a bit more Labrynth than before, is all.

While I was looking up in the legacy packs, though, a mechanics question came to mind: let’s say you summon a monster that, either through it’s own text or the effect of the method that summoned it, says you cannot directly attack with it. Then you equip a card, activate another effect, etc. that says it CAN direct attack.

Would the result be “nice try, chucklefuck, but no, it still can’t direct attack” (which is what I’m figuring is the case), or would the new effect override the older one?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I don't know the answer, but logically I'd say that it still can't attack directly.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
It's the former yeah. It's better to think of those kinds of effects as "this card cannot attack directly under any circumstances" and "this card allows the equipped card to attack directly even if there are monsters on the field", so that way you understand it as the second effect allowing for a card equipped with it to attack directly, BUT if it's not allowed to attack directly no matter the circumstances, it still cannot.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I’m kind of curious: were Gemini monsters ever an actual part of the meta, or was it as stillborn a mechanic as it looks like at a glance?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Regalingualius posted:

I’m kind of curious: were Gemini monsters ever an actual part of the meta, or was it as stillborn a mechanic as it looks like at a glance?

Not as their own deck, but a few Gemini monsters have seen meta play, most notably Neos Alius, Gigaplant, and Il Blud.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
TheDuelLogs has a pretty good video on why Geminis suck, and why some found themselves in decent decks despite that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoIMH17ftPs

I still find it very funny that Neos Alias was playable for basically every single thing about it except its Gemini effect.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
That reminds me that I still need to get around to making a cheap Gemini deck so I can do that Gemini secret mission in Master Duel.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Neos Alius existed to be the only good LIGHT Elemental Hero and the best beater in those dumb City decks that I still don't understand how they got anywhere, plus Gemini Spark was a nuts disruption and advantage tool. Gigaplant can be cheated out with Lonefire and there's some kind of loop with it, I assume Il Blud can do a similar thing but by cheating it out with Book of Life/Call of the Mummy.

I really wanted Geminis to be good, but they just aren't. They were shot in the knee from the start when someone at Konami decided no, these effects are too strong, we have to cap their atk at 1500. Their best chance would have been when the Phoenix Gearfried structure deck came along and some good support hit the core sets, but no, even with Gemini Spark, Supervise combos and powerful monsters like Dark Valkyria and Evocator Chevalier, the mechanic is too much of a downside. Being treated as a normal monster in the graveyard and temporarily on the field gets you some decent support, but a lot of the really strong normal monster support is based on getting them out of the hand or deck.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
There's a very easy way Konami could make Gemini monsters, if not good, at least a funny rogue strategy: Change the rules about how Gemini monsters work so that they count as Normal monsters while in the hand. There's already precedent for the effect existing with Dragon Spirit of White.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
At this point they could be normal everywhere when they wanted to. Unexpected Dai a lvl 4 Gemini, gemini summon it on the field.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Finally managed to hit Diamond 5 with Utopia on an 8-game winstreak :toot:

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
You know Utopia could also be a girls name.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Lipstick Apathy

Regalingualius posted:

Finally managed to hit Diamond 5 with Utopia on an 8-game winstreak :toot:

Way to go! Don't lose heart in Diamond.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That's what Billy Brake looks like? Guy's got the uber-neckbeard. That's a level beyond neckbeard. Neckbeard so powerful it might have taken over his actual chin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CePZ7g5gA7M

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Flair posted:

Here is the current known list of the top 10 players of Stage 2:

1. Adamancipator
2. Floowandereeze
3. Floowandereeze
4. Runick
5. Grass Branded Despia
6. Virtual World
7. Adamancipator (first two days) and Runick (for rest)
8. Floowandereeze
9. Floowandereeze
10. Tenyi Swordsoul and Branded Despia

Here are some of the decklists:

2nd place
3rd place
1st place

7th place

Another thing to note is that the 3rd place player was the first one to reach 60,000 points and was first place for a decent amount of time, but he decided to sleep. And when he woke up, he saw his 3rd placing with a few hours until the event ended and decided not to play anymore.

The final tally by Konami has displaced the 9th and 10th players that were known when the event stopped: Here are the final top ten finishers and their decklists:
https://roadoftheking.com/master-duel-duelist-cup-2022-december/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I hope Floo get a hit after this.