Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Endless Mike posted:

Mary Jane & Black Cat #1

Bullshiiiiiiiiit that he would ever permit so cheap, common and pedestrian a device. Give Vulpes a sixer for this outrage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I imagine Doom's bedroom operates like Ferris Bueller's with the automated machinery setup but instead of the crude Rube Goldberg style it's all fantastical chrome Kirby Krackle type stuff.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Sentinel Red posted:

Bullshiiiiiiiiit that he would ever permit so cheap, common and pedestrian a device. Give Vulpes a sixer for this outrage.

:ssh: it's a made-up story by Black Cat bullshitting her poker buddies

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
"Doom sleep and wakes when he pleases. What is mere machinery to dare presume to dictate to DOOM?"

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Doom wouldn't snooze, because each moment extra he sleeps is a moment that fool is endangering humanity unchecked by the only person who could stop him. RICHAAARDS!!!! :doom:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Doom snoozes as he pleases

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Keromaru5 posted:

"Doom sleep and wakes when he pleases. What is mere machinery to dare presume to dictate to DOOM?"

I imagine the people of glorious Latveria sit by their clocks all night, waiting for DOOM to wake up and declare it is now exactly 7:30.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

davidspackage posted:

I imagine the people of glorious Latveria sit by their clocks all night, waiting for DOOM to wake up and declare it is now exactly 7:30.
Ah, DST -- Doom Standard Time.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

"Daylight Savings? Doom would never stoop to forcing the noble citizens of Latveria to scrounge and scrimp like starving packrats, nor hoard in storehouses like misers! When Doom obtains the Power Cosmic, he will provide all the light and dark that his people need!"

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Doom uses his time platform to travel back before the birth of that infernal RICHARDS so he can sleep in peace. He then returns exactly when he left so he lost no time and can be rested enough to finally defeat that buffoon.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

thetoughestbean posted:

Doom snoozes as he pleases

He also sneezes as he ploozes

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Endless Mike posted:

Mary Jane & Black Cat #1

Please tell me that jar next to his bed holds his mask like a pair of dentures.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Dareon posted:

Please tell me that jar next to his bed holds his mask like a pair of dentures.

It does. You can even see a little tube of Fixodent... I mean, Fixomask.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Punisher War Journal #53 (1993)

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Lobok posted:

He also sneezes as he ploozes

I think you've confused Dr. Doom with Dr. Seuss. It's a common mistake, don't feel bad.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Darthemed posted:

The Punisher War Journal #53 (1993)

Law school? The Bar? The bar? Court? Come on, don't leave us hanging, where do all the lawyers go

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

CzarChasm posted:

I think you've confused Dr. Doom with Dr. Seuss. It's a common mistake, don't feel bad.

No, feel bad. It's not cool to confuse a horrible person who likes to controls others with stories they made up in their head to convince themselves that they are right with DR. DOOM. :colbert:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

mercenarynuker posted:

Law school? The Bar? The bar? Court? Come on, don't leave us hanging, where do all the lawyers go

Gone to flowers, every one.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Let's just say Hell is real in the Marvel universe and leave it at that.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I mean, so is Valhalla, Frank's just making a factual statement.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lawyers are very welcome in heck.

thunderbolts 2013 #21

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

(later)

The Punisher #2 (2001)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Synthbuttrange posted:

Lawyers are very welcome in heck.

thunderbolts 2013 #21

Isn't that right before Deadpool says he's a notary? All red Thunderbolts was fun.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I fee like Ennis just hates superheroes

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

He very much, unambiguously does. Except for Superman

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Opopanax posted:

He very much, unambiguously does. Except for Superman

Well, he likes one more than Alan Moore does, then.

e: nvm, forgot about Moore's Superman stories. Guess there's something about him that gets even cape-haters to like him.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Admiralty Flag posted:

Well, he likes one more than Alan Moore does, then.

Didn't Moore like superheroes until DC beat it out of him?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

Didn't Moore like superheroes until DC beat it out of him?

I think he still does, or did long after he grew disgusted with DC. However cynical and deconstructive Watchmen is, you don't write that without having a huge respect for the genre, also his ABC comics stuff and his run on Supreme (which was after DC hosed him over).

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Top Ten, which was part of his kinda recent ABC stuff, was about a city full of superheroes. It has the standard Moore problem of a rape storyline in an otherwise fun book, but does a great job of combining the wonder of being a superhero with the regular pains of daily life. It's not a book you'd write if you were a cynic about superheroes.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

He's said a lot of stuff against capes in the last couple years, but he's also a professional cranky old man at this point

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Opopanax posted:

He's said a lot of stuff against capes in the last couple years, but he's also a professional cranky old man at this point

Um... His business card clearly says "Wizard".

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

bunnyofdoom posted:

Ennis has said in interviews that he didn't grow up on superheroes; he was big into stuff like Eagle Comics and 2000 AD instead, so by the time he read any superhero comics, he found himself unable to take them seriously.

Then he came to America and wrote Preacher, where every time he put something deeply hosed-up into it, Wizard magazine would fall over itself to boost the book a little further. Fast-forward a few years and, much like that conversation Cassidy has with Jesse in Preacher about Brendan Behan, people all over the comics industry were willing to cut Ennis a check just to let him be Ennis for a while.

Spider-Man's actually gotten off relatively light by comparison to some other characters, the fight with the Russian notwithstanding. There's a horror arc by Ennis and John McCrea in Tangled Web that ends up as one of the more touching depictions of Peter Parker ever written, although the villain of the piece is truly vile.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Punisher War Journal #57 (1993)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That hellcycle was extremely impractical, I mean what kind of fuel did it consume? Also Ghost Rider never needs an excuse to be somewhere, the Spirit of Vengeance draws him to wherever he is needed. So I guess he needed to make a cameo in that Punisher book.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
He's just embarrassed to admit Frank beat him to a crime.

"Dude it was my turn to viciously murder a gang!"

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Recent discussion of the Valerian reminded me of how the movie removes the central gag from the story that they are vaguely adapting: The macho space hero is kidnapped at the beginning of the story, leaving the female sidekick to resolve the crisis on her own, while having to deal with hysterical men who crack under pressure:

Valerian and Laureline: Ambassador of the Shadows (1975)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bucnasti posted:

Um... His business card clearly says "Wizard".

And all wizards are cranky old men.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

SimonChris posted:

Recent discussion of the Valerian reminded me of how the movie removes the central gag from the story that they are vaguely adapting: The macho space hero is kidnapped at the beginning of the story, leaving the female sidekick to resolve the crisis on her own, while having to deal with hysterical men who crack under pressure:

Is that the series where a idiot guy from a space fairing civilisation picks up a woman from a much more primitive one and she turns out to be way savvier and more competent in almost every situation?

I didn’t bother with the film because I can’t abide Dane Dehane, he unfortunately is cursed with one of the most punchable faces on Earth.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
she's actually a medieval french peasant. it's an interesting concept that the crappy movie completely ditched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

TwoPair posted:

He's just embarrassed to admit Frank beat him to a crime.

"Dude it was my turn to viciously murder a gang!"

I dunno about other Ghost Riders but that one was very much against killing people.

He'd probably just spent a good half hour giving them all penance stares and Frank just casually gunned them down.