Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNgQJ0J0WUo&t=37s

Steve Cohen is that you???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm trying to think of another time this has happened, even in other sports, and I can't

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

zoux posted:

I'm trying to think of another time this has happened, even in other sports, and I can't

Intruder posted:

Never forget the DeAndre Jordan saga

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I love it. The Giants got cold feet and tried to back out, so Correa just said gently caress you I'll go elsewhere.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I love it. The Giants got cold feet and tried to back out, so Correa just said gently caress you I'll go elsewhere.

Boras just won so much negotiating power too. Try to gently caress with one of my players and I'll make you regret it

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It was a particularly stupid move by the Giants given the surrounding circumstances. Yeah in most years they would have had leverage over Correa in such a situation and probably could have used the medicals to knock his value down a bit, but of all years they chose to do it when the Mets were circling like a shark and Cohen was clearly willing to spend infinity money. They also did it to Boras, who just isn't going to put up with that poo poo. Now the Giants are stuck having promised their fans the moon and saying they'd spend bigly, and instead losing out on every single potential superstar on the market.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I appreciate Cohen taking a sledgehammer to the poor MLB owners farce. This is good for the players and the game.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

https://twitter.com/toogooden17/status/1605473602224107520?s=46&t=vGn_qx-xop1wuf9MVrxjkg

Lol I want this to be true so bad

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

im going to choose to believe this is what happened

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Shouldn't the PA comp physicals or something

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Shouldn't the PA comp physicals or something

It's (probably) a joke

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

100% cold feet. Great job of killing the potential of landing any other future free agents!

https://twitter.com/susanslusser/status/1605621875140280323?s=20&t=4PBhDzoNh5k_6zoj0xs42A

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Poque posted:

Mark Gooden is not a source, he's a troll

I am begging you to stop falling for this guy

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

how dare you question the motives of the Federalist's Mets beat writer!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

MrMidnight posted:

100% cold feet. Great job of killing the potential of landing any other future free agents!

https://twitter.com/susanslusser/status/1605621875140280323?s=20&t=4PBhDzoNh5k_6zoj0xs42A

It's a significantly worse situation long term for them to do this versus just signing the agreed contract. The fact they don't realize this... Yeah, it's a firable offense.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kirios posted:

It's a significantly worse situation long term for them to do this versus just signing the agreed contract. The fact they don't realize this... Yeah, it's a firable offense.

Yeah like it's not just missing out on Correa, it's sending a message to any future potential FA's that the Giants might potentially dick around with them even after they have an offer letter in hand and the deal is five seconds from hitting midnight. Just absolute organizational malfeasance.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Boras will 100% use it as leverage for a megadeal next offseason and then the Giants will cave

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

so the Mets are currently looking like:

CF Nimmo
RF Marte
SS Lindor
3B Correa
1B Alonso
DH Alvárez
2B McNeil
LF Canha
C McCann/Narvaez

Verlander
Scherzer
Quintana
Senga
Carrasco/Peterson/Megill

and a bullpen anchored by Díaz, Robertson and Ottavino

that looks like a seriously stacked team

Top two pitches being a combined 80 years old is the only flaw I guess. Also Phillies had no problems hitting verlander

These are just nitpicks. They can easily win the ws

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

Yeah like it's not just missing out on Correa, it's sending a message to any future potential FA's that the Giants might potentially dick around with them even after they have an offer letter in hand and the deal is five seconds from hitting midnight. Just absolute organizational malfeasance.

They waited until the day of the press conference. It's truly beyond comprehension.

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Boras will 100% use it as leverage for a megadeal next offseason and then the Giants will cave

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
To be fair we don't actually know what the physical found and of course the players side analysis is going to say it's totally fine.

Still, lol giants

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Carlos correa is from the 1980s and has Boneitis

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

They waited until the day of the press conference. It's truly beyond comprehension.

1 hr. before the press conference to be exact lmao. Remember the Twins also had all of his medicals and an offer in hand for Carlos. This medical poo poo is just a smokescreen.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

euphronius posted:

Top two pitches being a combined 80 years old is the only flaw I guess. Also Phillies had no problems hitting verlander

i mean we've learned over and over again that anyone can win the world series if you can just hang in long enough to get the playoff lottery ticket and get hot at the right time.

what the Mets are doing (and to a lesser extent the Dodgers etc.) is trying to proof their team against small sample sizes, and that's a whole different thing. they should cruise to the division title and that'll be something but their season essentially doesn't start till October

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Mets presumably still have to do a physical as well which will lead to them wanting to renegotiate the contract which will lead Correa to sign elsewhere and so on until he ends up on a 1 year deal with the Twins

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

this would be great unless shohei ohtani hires scott boras

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

elentar posted:

i mean we've learned over and over again that anyone can win the world series if you can just hang in long enough to get the playoff lottery ticket and get hot at the right time.

what the Mets are doing (and to a lesser extent the Dodgers etc.) is trying to proof their team against small sample sizes, and that's a whole different thing. they should cruise to the division title and that'll be something but their season essentially doesn't start till October

I don’t think that pitching staff is small sample proof

The lineup is good tho

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

It's his only regret

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Correa revealed to have only hamate bones in his wrists

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Popete posted:

To be fair we don't actually know what the physical found and of course the players side analysis is going to say it's totally fine.

Still, lol giants

I mean, the Twins offered him a 10-year deal and he was in their clubhouse for a full season and had to pass a physical before that deal, too. The Susan Slusser tweet doesn't make it sound like anything that's actually an issue, either.

EDIT: Grant Brisbee in The Athletic just now:

quote:

It’s easy to get hyperbolic this close to breaking news, but it’s possible that this is the worst offseason that any franchise has ever had.

The Giants needed to buy goodwill with fans this offseason. They poured gas on whatever goodwill was left and set it on fire. It was the exact opposite of what needed to happen, and this is true even if the eventual explanation is something that’s so sensible, so easy to understand, that you end up taking the Giants’ side. Which seems unlikely, but it’s at least possible.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 21, 2022

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Popete posted:

Still, lol giants

We're not afraid because the Mets isn't a team for players to reaggravate old injuries, it's to find career-ending new ones.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

euphronius posted:

excuse me JV got his first World Series *win* against the Phillies.

drat Im gonna miss Verlander - we were so good to you Justin, is $40 million dollars really worth it?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have a really hard time believing the Giants just woke up yesterday and decided to blow up their deal. The fact that Correa signed for less money with the Mets and did so so quickly really suggests that there really was something on that physical and they wanted to get the ink dry. And to think, a day ago I was worried about the guys well being. I guess the Giants can’t really disclose anything about Correa’s health and Boras, Correa, and Cohen are like the most obvious trio of dudes to spin this as the Giants being the bad guys. But I don’t buy it. Doesn’t smell right.

MrMidnight posted:

mcmagic rubbing off on you

It’s sweet when people find each other.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Inspector_666 posted:

I mean, the Twins offered him a 10-year deal and he was in their clubhouse for a full season and had to pass a physical before that deal, too. The Susan Slusser tweet doesn't make it sound like anything that's actually an issue, either.

EDIT: Grant Brisbee in The Athletic just now:
I take it Brisbee hasn’t seen what the Marlins have done this off-season

Spoilers- literally nothing

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

FlamingLiberal posted:

I take it Brisbee hasn’t seen what the Marlins have done this off-season

Spoilers- literally nothing

His argument is that the Giants have created a huge negative here in several ways. Doing nothing is at least neutral.

EDIT; https://twitter.com/emmabaccellieri/status/1605664566104449027?s=20&t=shlmw5koZMC4BTJWuKomVQ

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 21, 2022

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

Carlos Correa arrives for his team physical

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Popete posted: