Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i had a busy week and didn't even really get around to the new TAS until earlier tonight on my drive home. music rarely sounds better than it does in a car and it did NOT pass the test :/ way too muddy

hopefully whatever album it's on sounds better overall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

ShoogaSlim posted:

i had a busy week and didn't even really get around to the new TAS until earlier tonight on my drive home. music rarely sounds better than it does in a car and it did NOT pass the test :/ way too muddy

hopefully whatever album it's on sounds better overall

Has this ever actually happened? If this is a single for an upcoming album...this is the sound the album will have.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Probably not the best example, since there was a two year gap between the single and the album versions, but Enemies In Red by Dying Wish has a noticeably different mix

Single
https://youtu.be/aez_t6DiuSE

Album
https://youtu.be/sRs-ohglio0

Edit: I like the single mix more, for the record

XIII fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Dec 17, 2022

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
I thought unintended graves sounded fine. Gave me old tas vibes.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Has this ever actually happened? If this is a single for an upcoming album...this is the sound the album will have.

Specifically, I remember when tas released Dr. Doom demo on MySpace. I loved it , and thought the official release was lacking.

https://youtu.be/nLHMGOG1UQw

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

el B posted:

I thought unintended graves sounded fine. Gave me old tas vibes.

Specifically, I remember when tas released Dr. Doom demo on MySpace. I loved it , and thought the official release was lacking.

You know, I am certain I heard this on MySpace but had forgotten about it. gently caress this is great. Better than the Continent version for sure. And now I get why Vincent always adds the "Yo, check this poo poo out!" call when they play it live.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

alright punks, effort post ahoy! here's my top poo poo of 2022

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
top 10 albums (LPs) of 2022
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10. Blood, Sweat, and Stella - Pintglass
beatdown hardcore, unga bunga return to monke chug a beer and smash it over your head

listen

------------------------------------

9. This World is Going to Ruin You - Vein
metalcore, nu-metal, chaotic mathy screechy spazz poo poo

listen

8. Rot - Tennyson
indie, pop, electronic, the only thing on this list i can play at parties

listen

7. Deathwestern - Spirit World
melodic metalcore, thrash, gothenburg meets boston

listen

6. Ultra - Vatican
metalcore, nu metal, industrial(?), djent(??), cyberpunk fever dream

listen

5. Quiescence - Analepsy
slamming brutal death metal, the moment the monkeys in 2001 started interacting with the monolith

listen

4. Another Chance at Peace - Hole Dweller
dungeon synth, comfy synth, hobbit cosplay, play this while you're getting ready in the morning and you're guaranteed to have a good day

listen

3. False Light - White Ward
black metal, avant garde jazz metal, being chased by vampires through a rainy desolate part of the city at midnight

listen

2. Oni - Darko US
deathcore, nu metal, like emmure but WAY better and not cringe, karate kid meets linkin park meets a computer virus

listen

1. Timewave Zero - Blood Incantation
ambient, dark ambient, like watching Cosmos (1980) but it's Carl Sagan's exhumed reanimated corpse narrating from another dimension

listen

top 5 EPs of 2022

5. Flex Fiesta - No Face No Case
nu beatdown deathcore memecore, absolutely the best music videos in the game

listen

4. Lowest Form of Animal - Kublai Khan
hardcore, metalcore, thicc groove hit new PRs at the gymcore

listen

3. Gang Called Speed - Speed
hardcore, metalcore(kinda), just straight up australian takeover bicep flexcore, second best music videos in the game, makes me wanna join a gang

listen

2. Bluenothing - Worm
death metal, black metal, doom metal, if dark souls was in outer space but it turns out outer space is also hell

listen

1. Bleed the Dream - Foreign Hands
metalcore, metalcore, metalcore, the best kind of metalcore sound from 2000-2005, this day forward meets poison the well meets hopesfall, just loving straight up the best metalcore there ever was making a comeback

listen

top 5 singles of 2022 (most anticipated for 2023 (so far))

5. Oceano - Mass Produced
i forgot oceano dropped a single this year so snuffed on sight can kick rocks

listen

4. Untended Graves - The Acacia Strain
the best deathcore band to ever exist?

listen

3. An Offering to the Night - Jesus Piece
might dethrone acacia strain if they keep it up

listen

2. Fantasize - Hundredth
mediocre melodic hardcore turned shogaze rock whatever hybrid, hella cool to jam out and bop to

listen

1. Synthwave Vegan - Veil of Maya
not actually synthwave, djentcore, sickest offtime breakdown of the year

listen

overall top 10 releases (LP or EP) of 2022

10. Gang Called Speed - Speed
9. Deathwestern - Spirit World
8. Ultra - Vatican
7. Quiescence - Analepsy
6. Bluenothing - Worm
5. Another Chance at Peace - Hole Dweller
4. Bleed the Dream - Foreign Hands
3. False Light - White Ward
2. Oni - Darko US
1. Timewave Zero - Blood Incantation

top 10 listened to (as of 12/17/2022) releases (LP or EP) of 2022 (regardless of release year)

10. This World is Going to Ruin You - Vein - 127 plays
9. Rot - Tennyson - 133
8. Quiescence - Analepsy - 135
7. Welcome to 'Somewhere Nowhere' (Live Studio Version) - Hundredth - 144
6. Another Chance at Peace - Hole Dweller - 149
5. Slave to the Scalpel - 200 Stab Wounds - 157 <---- favorite new (to me) album from last year
4. The Twelve Temples - Quest Master - 193
3. Ultra - Vatican - 216 <---- album i listened to most this year that i probably won't listen to much at all in upcoming years
2. Oni - Darko US - 316
1. Timewave Zero - Blood Incantation - 400

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 22, 2022

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Awesome post Shooga. With Foreign Hands as your #1 EP, have you heard of Boundaries? They scratch the same itch for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBqKV4eQpUk

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

el B posted:

Never heard this demo before, and it owns.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
From a couple of months ago, but this Chelsea Grin video has to be video of 2022 I think.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I guess I am pretty new to deathcore since I only started listening to some bands that could be considered in that genre this year--I guess all my listening to Swedish melodic death metal and Finnish black metal got YouTube music to start recommending Shadow of Intent to me, and then Lorna Shore, The Browning, Fit for an Autopsy, and After the Burial. I've also run across a few other bands that match the sound I'm into, like Worm Shepherd and A Wake in Providence. I also like some stuff from Make Them Suffer and Chelsea Grin.

Looking over the last few pages I... don't recognize a lot of those bands! Or really most of them. Are there some in the direction of the ones I'm listening to I should look into? I have listened to a few tracks from The Acacia Strain and the ones I checked out weren't really the sound I go for.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Probably check out Mental Cruelty and Brand of Sacrifice

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Oh yeah, Brand of Sacrifice comes up too, they aren't bad. And Mental Cruelty just came up today on the playlist and yep, that's my kind of thing, they sound similar to Shadow of Intent.

Do I need to keep an eye out for any fascist acts to avoid like I do with black metal?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

nah just bandmembers who might abuse their girlfriends or hire undercover hitmen to kill their wives. but typically once that info comes out it's common knowledge and it's hard to be a fan without catching wind of it.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

The Slaughter To Prevail frontman might be (or have been) a neo-Nazi but that's all I can think of. And they loving suck anyway and don't really sound like any of the bands mentioned.

2nd wave deathcore had a big edgelord misogyny problem but even Waking the Cadaver write lyrics that sound more like Dying Fetus these days

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
A lot of metalcore bands are the heavy version of "mad at my girlfriend" MySpace era poo poo, but not any of the good ones.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

protip: stop caring about or looking up lyrics to any of these -core songs and just embrace the unga bunga breeee raawr nature of the sound the singers make with their mouths and then you have plausible deniability for not being embarrassed at the cringe subject matter

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

ShoogaSlim posted:

protip: stop caring about or looking up lyrics to any of these -core songs and just embrace the unga bunga breeee raawr nature of the sound the singers make with their mouths and then you have plausible deniability for not being embarrassed at the cringe subject matter

Yeah, this is the way to do it. The vocals and harmonies themselves are the actual instrument, "good" lyrics are just a plus.

This is how I get away with listening to a lot of those early to mid 2000s Jesus bands.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

-core vocalists are just another drummer

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

ShoogaSlim posted:

sorry I actually enjoy the lyrics from death metal and black metal, deathcore is not any more or less ridiculous TBH

I also enjoy ridiculous braggadocio hiphop and some power metal, so yeah. I do not need to take things seriously to enjoy them

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Dango Bango posted:

Awesome post Shooga. With Foreign Hands as your #1 EP, have you heard of Boundaries? They scratch the same itch for me.

to answer this question i missed from before, i really liked boundaries previous release from, like, two(?) years ago. their one from this year just never really stuck on me. same with varials - i really liked their last album but the newest one was a bit too much "more of the same" and didn't resonate with me like some of the stuff on my list.

darko however had a full length both last year and this year and they were both near the top of my lists. that band is basically unstoppable as far as i'm concerned. if it weren't for the ambient album that i listened to a bunch of times in any setting no matter what my mood was, the darko album would be my top album of the year (regardless, it's my top heavy album of the year)

also, you lazy fucks, post some lists!

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yeah, this is the way to do it. The vocals and harmonies themselves are the actual instrument, "good" lyrics are just a plus.

This is how I get away with listening to a lot of those early to mid 2000s Jesus bands.

its a good tip for most music tbh

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

ShoogaSlim posted:

also, you lazy fucks, post some lists!

I don't have much of a list, lol. The year started with ETID breaking up and I'm glad a couple things came out that did really grab me. I have played the poo poo out of Kublai Khan TX - Lowest Form Of Animal and Counterparts - A Euology For Those Still Here. Also really vibing with the new TAS now, production be damned. Honorable mention to all the new singles Dead To Fall put out (Cerro de la Muerte, Empire of Pines, Rot & Decay), hoping that full project drops sooner than later.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Didn't listen to much -core this year. SpiritWorld, Callous Daoboys, Mico, Slowbleed, Ithaca, Vein and Venom Prison were good. On the non-metal side of hardcore Gospel probably is my AOTY. Soul Glo and Show Me the Body also put out good albums. City of Caterpillar too.

E: Apparently Venom Prison are British TERFs unfortunately

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 22, 2022

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I'll put together my list(s) eventually. I've got next week off work, so might as well make one effort post this year. (I said this same thing last year and then didn't, so stay tuned)

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Oh my god, it dies today announced for furnacefest

I might have to go to Alabama for this

https://youtu.be/qwU_I4uCamg

https://youtu.be/sdR-d3j0xpU

https://youtu.be/R8e2ObShMAA

gently caress

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
That Dr Acula album released a month or two ago is pretty good.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

That Dr Acula album released a month or two ago is pretty good.

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by it as well.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

darko just released a 21 minute EP to close out the year

that's two full lengths and an EP in two years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja4qsMP0uNk

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Very sick. Wish we'd gotten a little more out of that Landon Tewers feature, but I ain't complaining

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
  1. Oceans Ate Alaska – Disparity (9/01)
  2. Foreign Hands – Bleed the Dream (2/18)
  3. Polyphia – Remember That You Will Die (10/28)
  4. Darko – Oni (9/26)
  5. Lorna Shore – Pain Remains (10/14)
  6. Vatican – Ultra (6/17)
  7. Chris Turner – Steezy (6/24)
  8. Northlane – Obsidian (4/22)
  9. Novelists – Déjà Vu: Première Partie (9/01)
  10. Greyhaven – This Bright and Beautiful World (4/15)

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

For any KKTX fans, this is an insane live set from November in Australia, they sound insanely tight and this has one of the best live mixes I've ever come across.

The first 1:00 of this is just lunacy. I love this band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INn-ZuPWVfI

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

they're the sonic equivalent of gas station rhino boner pills mixed with no xplode

edit:

15:42 - "bass and drums. all the human body needs to grow big and strong motherFUCKER"

so loving good haha

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 6, 2023

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Didn't listen to much -core this year. SpiritWorld, Callous Daoboys, Mico, Slowbleed, Ithaca, Vein and Venom Prison were good. On the non-metal side of hardcore Gospel probably is my AOTY. Soul Glo and Show Me the Body also put out good albums. City of Caterpillar too.

E: Apparently Venom Prison are British TERFs unfortunately

that's weird, there are literally songs about the oppression of trans people on their records (megillus and leana for example). what did they say/do?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DeimosRising posted:

that's weird, there are literally songs about the oppression of trans people on their records (megillus and leana for example). what did they say/do?

Apparently the frontwoman liked a bunch of TERF poo poo on Instagram.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Radical by EITD so far is reaching He is Legend's self-titled in terms of perfection

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

first banger of '23?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY5n5UeWoaI

really scratching the mathcore spazzcore dillinger, etid itch. especially since the callous daoboys '22 album was such a let down (for me)

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I could not stand that guy's vocals. It was constant squeaking, heh. It's probably like...just a hair off from lots of other things I like, but enough to change it from "I dig this" to "oh god make it stop".

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
it sounds like he's recording while going through puberty

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

xZAOx posted:

I could not stand that guy's vocals. It was constant squeaking, heh. It's probably like...just a hair off from lots of other things I like, but enough to change it from "I dig this" to "oh god make it stop".

ugh, same. Made it like 1 minute in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Kenshin posted:

ugh, same. Made it like 1 minute in.

I bailed at the :29 mark. Seems that I made the right choice.