Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
just reposting the most hilarious exchange about 'rewriting the stack' and other techno-babble and elno's constant bag fumbling
https://twitter.com/pwnsdx/status/1605442608603463680

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit

Paracausal posted:

just reposting the most hilarious exchange about 'rewriting the stack' and other techno-babble and elno's constant bag fumbling

Expert engineer at work, thank you!

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

The Postman posted:

sounds like she just doesn't understand elon's brilliant engineering mind

She’ll never be an eng VP at a small startup

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

E the Shaggy posted:

This new rally against the government has gotta be spurned on by his Saudi investors right?

nah it's being an alt-right chud

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Squibbles posted:

Confirmed. I'm Neal Schon of Journey and Musk's event was a disaster since neither of them could figure out how to use the jet packs. Also, the paint balls all melted in the water.

How long did it take you to recover from the beating?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Where’s the engineer goon, I need to see if they concur or not

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Preoptopus posted:

What the? No way this is real.

Many such cases

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

ruddiger posted:

Where’s the engineer goon, I need to see if they concur or not

interesting

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

My first computer touching job was running data conversions from legacy DBs to a shiny new program suite. The conversion software was a mess of code that had been tweaked over some years and was extremely temperamental but it got the job done, usually 4-6 hours to convert a dataset.

Hot shot me decided to rewrite it from scratch, making it less monolithic and more flexible. The first time I ran a client's dataset through it, it took just under a week and failed to convert some odd records that had janky formatting the old system knew to watch out for.

Good loving luck to anyone tasked with doing that to Twitter.

Yes, having had to do archaeology on ancient legacy code, I soon learned that if there's something that makes no sense and just looks weird, it's best to leave it alone. It's almost certainly a workaround to deal with some odd edge-case bit of dodgy data that you occasionally get from some other system over which you have no control and things would fall over in a heap without it.

"Should I delete this? Nobody knows why it's there."
"No! Just back away slowly and touch nothing!"

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

goatface posted:

But what do the mechanical rodeo bulls mean?

Quantitative easing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Stoatbringer posted:

Yes, having had to do archaeology on ancient legacy code, I soon learned that if there's something that makes no sense and just looks weird, it's best to leave it alone. It's almost certainly a workaround to deal with some odd edge-case bit of dodgy data that you occasionally get from some other system over which you have no control and things would fall over in a heap without it.

"Should I delete this? Nobody knows why it's there."
"No! Just back away slowly and touch nothing!"

More than once I've found a comment on some ugly and inscrutable code that says something like:

code:
# DO NOT REMOVE. I don't understand why this has to be here but it breaks without it
This was early in my career, and I thought with the hubris of youth, "a ha, I can figure this out. I'll remove it and clean this up"

It broke horribly and I had to rush to patch it back in. I added my own comment:

code:
# DO NOT REMOVE. I don't understand why this has to be here but it breaks without it
# NO REALLY, I AM SERIOUS. DATA GRAHAM 6 MONTHS FROM NOW, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE.
6 months later...

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

kw0134 posted:

The money is actually well accounted for because it's to buy arms from US manufacturers and then ship it in labeled lots to Ukraine. These loving morons think ("think") that the US Treasury mails the Ukrainian ambassador a check and says "have fun."

They think it's unaccounted for because they used to just literally drop pallets of money in Iraq during the bush years.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Offler posted:

There used to be one though, a really good one. In fact, they were so good they managed to snare the [then] richest guy in the world into a contract so airtight that he was forced to spend a silly amount of money to buy a website that wasn't even profitable most of the time. He tried to wriggle out of the contract in every way imaginable, but in the end he had to pay the full price he had promised.

Even though Elon had first hand knowledge of how good this legal team was, he fired them. Probably because he thought they had been mean to him by being so good at their jobs or something. He probably still thinks he's the smartest guy in the world btw.

Yeah they were extremely tight, the pleading in their suit against him is excellent and very entertaining

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Data Graham posted:

It broke horribly and I had to rush to patch it back in. I added my own comment:
code:
# NO REALLY, I AM SERIOUS. DATA GRAHAM 6 MONTHS FROM NOW, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE.

You see this was obviously a placebo thing.

What you need to do is add the comment
code:
# REMOVE. It will literally make everything run 100X times better as soon as you do!
Then as soon as you remove it, the code will be like "oh cool the comment says I should be running better now, so I will!".

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Doctor Butts posted:

They think it's unaccounted for because they used to just literally drop pallets of money in Iraq during the bush years.

Oh wow that sounds like it might have been done to enrich people involved in that process

Sounds like it might be some of that goddamned projection again the repubs always do

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

sebmojo posted:

Yeah they were extremely tight, the pleading in their suit against him is excellent and very entertaining

lmao

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Paracausal posted:

Ian rules lmao. Elon needs to be treated like this every time he opens his mouth.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
I have no doubt in my mind that something along these lines is going to occur and possibly very publicly.

https://twitter.com/Eve6/status/1605661109762998272?s=20&t=d9dE0GU5DPo93BisP2EtQg

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Could you even imagine being the CEO of a company and Elon Musk is the owner and your employee?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

koshmar posted:

I have no doubt in my mind that something along these lines is going to occur and possibly very publicly.

https://twitter.com/Eve6/status/1605661109762998272?s=20&t=d9dE0GU5DPo93BisP2EtQg

Elon Musk is a "founder" of OpenAI so he's just going to make GPT-3 the CEO of Twitter.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Tesla stock is like an actual reverse eBay auction right now

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Amazing, everything else green

Tesla posted:

-$0.31(-0.23%)

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

$137.49 closing, which is still down but it struggled all day today.

My favorite thing I saw was a reaction when it was 1/5 of a percent up from closing yesterday about 10 minutes from close: 'looks like it's going to be a strong rally today after yesterday's performance.'

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
We should hold a goon bake sale to pitch in and help the Tesla stock

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit

Droogie posted:

$137.49 closing, which is still down but it struggled all day today.

My favorite thing I saw was a reaction when it was 1/5 of a percent up from closing yesterday about 10 minutes from close: 'looks like it's going to be a strong rally today after yesterday's performance.'

Leave it to the chuds to always spin a silver lining whenever a Tesla crashes.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
What do you guys think Elon’s favorite equation is

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

FogHelmut posted:

Elon Musk, billionaire. Neither owns a mansion nor a yacht.
I got this, and I laughed.

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit

Lt. Cock posted:

Now I genuinely want to see what his answer is.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Proposing a "solution" of a complete rewrite of some or all of an ongoing software project is the dumbest baby brain 1 year out of college idea. So many bugs will be introduced.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Lt. Cock posted:

Mine's pepperjack

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Lt. Cock posted:

The angle of the dangle.

Nah, that one's too clever for him.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Armitage posted:

I got bored, it's a slow day at work and I've been fiddling with chatGPT all day. I think I got it to do the Wesley Willis style of music, somewhat. The final line shouldn't be repeated in each verse but I like how it turned out.

:eyepop:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Lt. Cock posted:

Fourteen over eighty eight.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lt. Cock posted:

The one with all the numbers in it. You know the one. No, I will no not elaborate. You loving moron.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

"poor" billionaires:
99% own a refrigerator

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Lt. Cock posted:

1 + 1 = 11 🤣🤣🤣

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

waffle iron posted:

Proposing a "solution" of a complete rewrite of some or all of an ongoing software project is the dumbest baby brain 1 year out of college idea. So many bugs will be introduced.

Just don't write bugs. Fire the devs that write bugs and hire more eXtreme ones. Failing to do so is just politics.

https://twitter.com/realGeorgeHotz/status/1605641585047138305

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Lt. Cock posted:

Obviously its:
(Age / 2) + 7

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/989198118666162176

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Lt. Cock posted:

He's a loving child, so it would be 8=D