Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm thinking this is the year I just stop playing Hearthstone. It's only a matter of time before we get *another* in-game currency to go along with gold and runestones, and their playtesting has gotten atrocious.

It's just not fun in Standard or Wild anymore.

I found it helped me to have more fun in the game to try to build decks that achievement hunt and care less about whether I’m actually winning games. Every once in a while I put one together that actually does ok in the format and then that’s a ton of fun to play after refining it a bit after removing whatever bad cards I’m achievement hunting with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
That said the meta before the nerfs wasn’t great but at least it wasn’t as bad as the alterac valley poo poo show.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

aw frig aw dang it posted:

Dunno that I'd call DK a flop. It's really quite popular as a class, even without a T1 deck. The fact that nobody brought it to Worlds was embarrassing for Blizzard, but aside from that it seems like lots of people are enjoying it.

This. Having a bad deck/class be this popular in played% rate is a massive success from a game design standpoint.

They basically reversed every aspect of the Ashes DH launch:

- Instead of creating a completely overpowered set of class cards to entice players to buy/play the new stuff, they instead realized they could make weak cards that were designed to be new and flavorful to ride out the honeymoon phase

- Instead of designing for aggro, they instead designed for dumpy attrition control, to leverage that psychological thing of having more game time spent winning rather than losing, even when losing more games overall.

- Instead of releasing as the 4th set during rotation and an active competitive season, they instead released as a 6th set during the competitive off-season, which helped cushion the impact of the new cards.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Strawberry Panda posted:

I logged on and was gifted a legendary card so I guess I benefited from the nerfs somehow.

Were you one of the ones who had the diamond/signature duplicate legendary thing? I was and got a free Legendary just now too.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

victorious posted:

Were you one of the ones who had the diamond/signature duplicate legendary thing? I was and got a free Legendary just now too.

Ah, this must be the reason. The thing with the signature cards is that since they all look the same it's hard to remember which ones you have in your collection.

I'm only 2 legendaries away from having the whole set. Shout out to the dude who told me about the Google Opinion surveys. Love banking Google Play points and Gold for future sets.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Strawberry Panda posted:

Shout out to the dude who told me about the Google Opinion surveys. Love banking Google Play points and Gold for future sets.

:unsmith:

Remember, don't claim your last weekly bonus until after 1/1 so whatever points you get credit towards next year's status.

Also, periodically keep a watch on the promotions tab since every so often there's a "load this app for 24h and get five points" promo, and they usually put ~3-5 up for an easy 15-25 points every month or so. They put them at the very bottom of the page, and make note of when you installed them because if you uninstall them before 24h, they'll remove them. You never have to open the app, just download it.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Shockeh posted:

As the Druid plays his second Denathrius and third Astalor, I realise I want Brann AND Guff gone. Stop allowing core limits to be broken easily and only by one class you dicks.

The real culprit is Jerry Rig Carpenter. Tutoring nourish and banking the draw for later is ridiculously consistent and powerful. As evidenced by the fact ramp Druid doesn’t even run any other chose cards.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Dik Hz posted:

The real culprit is Jerry Rig Carpenter. Tutoring nourish and banking the draw for later is ridiculously consistent and powerful. As evidenced by the fact ramp Druid doesn’t even run any other chose cards.

I don’t have a loving clue what this card does mechanically but i goddamn hate it so much.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Druid just has too much selection in general. None of Jerry Rig Carpenter, Moonlit Guidance, Capture Coldtooth Mine, Aquatic Form, or Planted Evidence are overpowered in isolation, but having them all in the same format makes it absurdly easy to ramp consistently, find relevant answers, and piece together combos. It’s just a poorly considered design direction.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

kater posted:

I don’t have a loving clue what this card does mechanically but i goddamn hate it so much.

It draws a card in your deck with the "Choose One: " text and splits that card in two, giving you both effects as a separate card. It's annoying in aggro Druid decks where they run a bunch of Choose One cards, and kinda busted in ramp Druid decks where they run just the one that gives you mana crystals and card draw, and can guarantee it will always find that card.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Hit legend with 30 card frost DK, people say deathwhisper and frigidara are too slow, they are fools

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Easy deck I threw together for this week's Tavern Brawl:

### Brawl Deck
# Class: Priest
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (0) Forbidden Words
# 2x (0) Illuminate
# 2x (0) Topsy Turvy
# 2x (1) Inner Fire
# 2x (1) Power Word: Shield
# 2x (2) Bless
# 2x (2) Divine Spirit
# 2x (2) Purify
# 2x (2) Shadow Word: Pain
# 2x (2) Thrive in the Shadows
# 2x (3) Cathedral of Atonement
# 2x (3) Clear Conscience
# 2x (3) Palm Reading
# 1x (3) Pelagos
# 2x (3) Unidentified Elixir
# 1x (4) Hysteria
#
AAEBAafDAwL44wP62wQO+ALlBNEK1wqstAK/5QLQ/gKYmwPi3gOtigSJowSitgT77gSGgwUA
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
When I have to do a Tavern Brawl that requires me to make a deck? I just autocomplete the deck and ask a friend to let me win, and I do the same for them. Making decks for lovely brawls is a waste of time and effort.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Ugh the winter veil thing gives two battleground portraits, what a waste

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

battlegrounds is fun 'n chill

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Desert Bus posted:

When I have to do a Tavern Brawl that requires me to make a deck? I just autocomplete the deck and ask a friend to let me win, and I do the same for them. Making decks for lovely brawls is a waste of time and effort.

I just don't bother. My time is worth more than 1 pack. Same for stream drops

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord
Fwiw ahirun posts decklists for those brawls. My biggest problem is remembering to do them since they got relegated to the modes menu

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Ugh the winter veil thing gives two battleground portraits, what a waste

I've seen standard. Battlegrounds is way better.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
battlegrounds is super boring, does anyone know how much of it I have to bear so that it counts as "playing" for the quest?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Oenis posted:

battlegrounds is super boring, does anyone know how much of it I have to bear so that it counts as "playing" for the quest?

in some game modes you will actually be prompted if you try to quit out of the game before it counts as quest progression, maybe BG's is the same?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Oenis posted:

I just grind it out. It's not hard to hit top 4. Not sure when you can Nope Out and get the achievement though.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Oenis posted:

It's a videogame, it's ostensibly for fun. If you aren't having fun doing something, don't do it just for a few packs.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Especially as you are actively making 7 other players’ game worse by afking. Really unbalances a lobby having someone giving free wins and removing the damage cap early

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Mr Beens posted:

I just don't bother. My time is worth more than 1 pack. Same for stream drops

agreed - when I actually do remember tavern brawl exists and I check I hit the back button as soon as I see you have to build a deck

I don't need four commons and a rare badly enough to sit through ten losses until I give up and research the meme deck for that week

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

poo poo like that is why you make friends. You can both auto-complete the deck and trade wins. A free pack and a free pack for a friend with low time investment rocks.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
I just got a rage add for "playing a tier 1 deck in casual." The deck? Phylactery Warlock.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Blasmeister posted:

Especially as you are actively making 7 other players’ game worse by afking. Really unbalances a lobby having someone giving free wins and removing the damage cap early

I usually do this the few times BGs are mandatory. Truly bad design :tipshat:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Yeah putting quests to play battlegrounds in the regular journal is loving stupid.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it's pretty funny that frost dk went from basically nothing to a tier 2 deck overnight

now if only my beloved unholy would get the same treatment...

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

fanny packrat posted:

I just got a rage add for "playing a tier 1 deck in casual." The deck? Phylactery Warlock.
I got a rage add on Monday for 'playing bullshit cheat decks' in Casual when I was playing a total garbage deck of nothing to complete the 'Play 50 Battlecry cards' weekly and apparently stomped a Ramp Druid who never drew his Scales.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I haven't gotten a good rage add in awhile. :(

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Honestly, madposting about playing the occasional BG is the rage add of this thread and I hope people never stop.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Frost dk can reliably deal juuuuust enough damage now that Renathal is down to 35. It is quite infuriating and non-interactive - if you let hem live long enough to achieve a critical mass of frost spells in hand you are simply dead

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Also if you can't kill them by turn ~7 your board becomes useless, it's just going to be permanently frozen until you die.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
Mine lock feels pretty strong so far. I've only played it in casual since I'm learning still, but the damage output is silly. Lots of counting with Devourer and Shallow Grave (definitely requires more thinking than the defile iteration) but you can do stuff like OTK with only three minions if you get the right discounts.

### Mine
# Class: Warlock
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Hydra
#
# 1x (1) Devourer of Souls
# 2x (1) Grimoire of Sacrifice
# 2x (1) Mistress of Mixtures
# 2x (1) Touch of the Nathrezim
# 2x (1) Wicked Shipment
# 2x (2) Drain Soul
# 2x (2) Explosive Sheep
# 2x (2) Impending Catastrophe
# 2x (2) Naval Mine
# 2x (2) Shallow Grave
# 2x (3) Fiendish Circle
# 2x (3) Scourge Supplies
# 1x (3) Tamsin Roame
# 1x (4) Tamsin's Phylactery
# 2x (5) Runed Mithril Rod
# 1x (6) Dreadlich Tamsin
# 2x (10) Goldshire Gnoll
#
AAECAcn1AgTy7QOwkQTxkQTCkgUN1+0DvfEDxvkDg/sDxYAE1aAE5qAE56AEiLAEm9QE/9kEpZIFwJIFAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

aw frig aw dang it posted:

battlegrounds is fun 'n chill

I will admit most of my hatred for it is the fact that I don’t Get It. I just played one of the two games I need to and I was doing okay with all my pirates but half the people had no minions and then I faced against someone with their minions with stats such that their lowest was five times higher than my highest and then they did 40 damage to me and I was dead
This poo poo is inscrutable, I cannot scrute it even a little

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Playing battlegrounds made me realise how much knowledge I'd internalised about hearthstone and the meta while I've been playing it.

Like it seemed fun enough I just couldn't be bothered to learn which cards, combos and characters worked well together, countered each other etc as hearthstone already fills that niche for me.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I will admit most of my hatred for it is the fact that I don’t Get It. I just played one of the two games I need to and I was doing okay with all my pirates but half the people had no minions and then I faced against someone with their minions with stats such that their lowest was five times higher than my highest and then they did 40 damage to me and I was dead
This poo poo is inscrutable, I cannot scrute it even a little

Yeah, Battlegrounds has kind of moved past the point where any experienced Hearthstone player can jump in because most of the units are actual cards they ported over. I guess the only advice I have for you at the moment is

1) When in doubt, just try to push for a tribal synergy comp that other people aren't also working towards. You can see what's the most common unit type in each person's party by hovering over their icon on the left, and it's an easy way to get the kind of synergy you want if you want to last past the early-to-mid game "just buy the units that give you the most stats on board" period.

2) Just wait a day or two to finish this quest so you wait out the wave of random newbies who hate battlegrounds and are just going to go AFK all match out of spite.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I wanna be like ooo I love battlegrounds is the reason I started playing again it’s so fun but honestly the games are exhaustingly long and just not fun at all to try and navigate through with the quests all dragging everything everywhere. Playing standard and doing silly demon Hunter bullshit is much more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The initial implementation of BGs was fun, back when it was basically Hearthstone Mahjong, but each iteration added complexity and randomness just for the sake of it rather than anything to actually improve the mode. At the high ranks the inaction over what to do about players utilizing disconnect for an advantage killed my drive to keep up with the mode.