Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jetz0r posted:

Snake plant welcomes you to act 2 by doing 40 damage. It out damages book of stabbing for the first few turns, and appears earlier in the pathing.

Snake Plant is not an easy pool fight. You won't get it before floor 20 and generally you can avoid taking it before your first elite.

It is a poo poo fight, though. It's one of the main reasons why it's recommended that your Act 2 path takes as few hallway encounters as possible. They are in the main harder than the elites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

flipside is that it's more annoying to get an act 2 fight in a ? room because it could have been "upgrade all strikes and defends" or "use your molten egg to get a load of bites on Ironclad". but noooo, too bad, avocado time

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

OzFactor posted:

You can race down the SG in a way that you just can't with the Avocado. You get three turns before the SG winds up its big attack, and the Avocado hits for that same damage and frail on turn one.

The Avocado is just a door that says "insert Artifact or 30 HP here"

edit: every time I see the Turnip I immediately say "yeah take that you loving avocado"

The difference is im not frail for the first hit from the avocado, and the rest of its attacks arent too terrible to block even with frail.

But Id have to say it really depends on what kind of deck you have too.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
You snake plant hater people realize that the reason it kills you is because of the hp you lost to the avocado, right?

Admiralty Flag posted:

Just had an amazing run with Defect (non-ascension; I'm not that good yet). Awakened One was the act 3 boss. Managed to burn him down to awakened form and thought "this is it." But, somehow, I kept alive and kept blasting him down even though sneko eye insisted on making the optimal card plays cost 1 more energy than I had. But I finally ran out of luck: 1 HP left, a lot of damage that I played to wear him down almost to the end (aided by my double your energy card coming up zero cost that last turn), no more potions, no lightning orbs as I had evoked them all, and not enough block to survive his 13x3 attack or whatever it was. So I click Next Turn, ready to watch this motherfucker eat my face when he's got literally 3HP left. I almost ALT-F4ed out of frustration, but I wanted my unlock points.

Then a miracle happened. I had forgotten about the bronze scales. Had enough block to shield my 1 HP through his first chomp. Felt sooooo good.

And congratulations! Always a good lesson when you're first starting out: never give up, never surrender!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Jedit posted:

Snake Plant is not an easy pool fight. You won't get it before floor 20 and generally you can avoid taking it before your first elite.

It is a poo poo fight, though. It's one of the main reasons why it's recommended that your Act 2 path takes as few hallway encounters as possible. They are in the main harder than the elites.

also because the ?s in floor 2 are insanely good

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Anyone play the Android port of this? How is it? Been playing PC and need to get bonked by the Time Eater while on the go.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

OzFactor posted:

You snake plant hater people realize that the reason it kills you is because of the hp you lost to the avocado, right?

And congratulations! Always a good lesson when you're first starting out: never give up, never surrender!
Avocado is almost cute and sometimes you get multihits in that strips its armor off in a fun way. Snake plant is just an rear end in a top hat.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's cool that if you remove all of the plated armour the avocado gets stunned like lagavulin

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Thom and the Heads posted:

Anyone play the Android port of this? How is it? Been playing PC and need to get bonked by the Time Eater while on the go.

It's mostly pretty good for playing StS on the go but I definitely have some gripes. First and foremost it takes way too long to launch and sometimes it just closes before getting to the main menu. Also my phone has a camera cutout and the game's UI doesn't account for it, meaning either the settings button or discard pile button are covered depending on orientation.

I would still recommend it because when you're itching to play StS there's really no substitute.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
After ten thousand hours or whatever of playing this game I only just now realized that all these things are plants. Who is the Spire gardener?? Also is the Spire Growth a plant too?

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

it's cool that if you remove all of the plated armour the avocado gets stunned like lagavulin

:vince: My flabber has been gasted. I've never done that.

The most satisfying avocado moment for me is when I run into it on the Silent and use something like Flechettes to hit him 8 times and watch that tiny number drop precipitously.

Made it to the Heart last night on A7 Watcher, and while my deck easily handled the Awakened One, the Spire and Shield dropped me to 2 HP. Turns out relying on quick mantra to get into divinity doesn't help against the big gently caress off turn 2 attack. I should've realized I needed a better block engine for that fight. It's the last character I have yet to kill the Heart on. Other than Talk to the Hand, what's a good way to build up massive block for the Watcher? Mental Fortress always seems so slow and I can never stance dance enough to make it worthwhile.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i dont think ive ever no-damaged sword/shield in a way that didnt involve buffer/ghost-in-a-jar

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lucas Archer posted:

Other than Talk to the Hand, what's a good way to build up massive block for the Watcher? Mental Fortress always seems so slow and I can never stance dance enough to make it worthwhile.

You will if you streamline your deck enough and add a Rushdown or two. Inner Peace + Tantrum + Rushdown is an infinite damage combo if you are holding the rest of your deck in your hand, and with Violet Lotus it's also infinite energy.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Jedit posted:

You will if you streamline your deck enough and add a Rushdown or two. Inner Peace + Tantrum + Rushdown is an infinite damage combo if you are holding the rest of your deck in your hand, and with Violet Lotus it's also infinite energy.

I've seen baalorlord pull that off a few times, but I can never seem to get the right cards in my deck, drawn in the right order, to get it to work. I suppose it's just one of those things I need to keep working on, and be more mindful of my card choices. I even had Violet Lotus on that last attempt, and still got creamed by the big hit on turn 2 from the Heart.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

I really feel like centurion/mystic should be an elite encounter.

Also, another really fun ironclad run ended by a boss swinging hard at 10 hp and me not having any block cards left. Wheeeeeeeee

Starting to play the Watcher. Kinda fun, but I haven't found a good thing to go for yet. I'm liking the Wrath stuff. I beat Slimeboss without it splitting at all.

pro starcraft loser fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 21, 2022

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

CRAYON posted:

It's mostly pretty good for playing StS on the go but I definitely have some gripes. First and foremost it takes way too long to launch and sometimes it just closes before getting to the main menu. Also my phone has a camera cutout and the game's UI doesn't account for it, meaning either the settings button or discard pile button are covered depending on orientation.

I would still recommend it because when you're itching to play StS there's really no substitute.

I play it on mobile via xCloud sometimes. It has touch controls and runs really well. Also means I keep the same save file across other platforms. Requires a Game Pass Ultimate sub though.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
The ultimate mobile sts experience is now the steam deck, especially because you can run modded on there

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Impermanent posted:

The ultimate mobile sts experience is now the steam deck, especially because you can run modded on there

Every time I try to run modded on my deck it just black screens and eventually crashes back to steam.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

pro starcraft loser posted:

Starting to play the Watcher. Kinda fun, but I haven't found a good thing to go for yet. I'm liking the Wrath stuff. I beat Slimeboss without it splitting at all.

A lot of the Watcher's stuff is more or less a distraction from the Wrath/Calm loop that she starts out with, so really more stance change stuff is the main thing you want to go for. (Don't overlook the "Empty" cards either, you can safely go into Wrath a lot more often when you have a way out.) The super hardcore version is to hunt for Rushdown + Tantrum and skinny your deck down to go infinite but honestly Watcher is pretty OP so you can get away with messing around quite a bit.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'm sure everyone knows this but if you didn't the most important thing to do is the watcher is upgrade the wrath power to reduce it's cost to 1.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

You mean replace Wrath with Tantrum.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Walla posted:

You mean replace Wrath with Tantrum.

Exactly - upgrading Wrath guarantees you will be offered Tantrum at the next node.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

pro starcraft loser posted:

I really feel like centurion/mystic should be an elite encounter.

Also, another really fun ironclad run ended by a boss swinging hard at 10 hp and me not having any block cards left. Wheeeeeeeee

I've started playing Watcher more as well, and while I build awful decks I seem to still be making it halfway or more through the stages. It's quite satisfying invoking wrath and clobbering something but sucks when I'm bad at math and end up leaving both enemies at 2 hp.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

immoral_ posted:

Every time I try to run modded on my deck it just black screens and eventually crashes back to steam.

Tap the screen. It's loaded the mod manager but doesn't display it unless you tap the screen briefly, but you can still select mods + hit run by using the touchscreen.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Watcher is too easy to break imo

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Blimpkin posted:

I've started playing Watcher more as well, and while I build awful decks I seem to still be making it halfway or more through the stages. It's quite satisfying invoking wrath and clobbering something but sucks when I'm bad at math and end up leaving both enemies at 2 hp.

Savescum!

At least on PC "Save and Quit" resets the current fight you are in. If you are doing the shop or an event, including the "search for loot" or "stomp the mushroom" events that lead to monsters, it resets to the start of the event. You can blatantly cheat to get as much loot without monster as possible, or be honorable and only correct genuine misclicks. Once all enemies or you die, this is not an option, but save scumming can also reset your reward selections before you pick the next room.

This game is hard and will keep getting harder. Don't be afraid to use all the tools of the trade.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 22, 2022

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Same with the card pairing event.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Nothing was risked, and nothing was gained.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

DontMockMySmock posted:

snake plant is a really rude block check, and one of many reasons why Piercing Wail is one of the best commons in the whole drat game.

Just lost another run to snake plant without piercing wail, so I agree it's am incredible common. Still mad at snake plant!

New, insane hot take: Boot is a really great act one relic on silent that allows you to use not upgraded, early bad cards like riddle with holes to great effect. It also lets you avoid upgrading shiv cards or picking up an accuracy for a while to focus on other cards / upgrades.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

bartlebee posted:

Just lost another run to snake plant without piercing wail, so I agree it's am incredible common. Still mad at snake plant!

New, insane hot take: Boot is a really great act one relic on silent that allows you to use not upgraded, early bad cards like riddle with holes to great effect. It also lets you avoid upgrading shiv cards or picking up an accuracy for a while to focus on other cards / upgrades.

What's wrong with riddle with holes? Silent needs burst damage especially early. I'd take predator first in almost any situation, but if you get access to strength, admittedly hard for silent, it scales well too.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

BurningBeard posted:

What's wrong with riddle with holes? Silent needs burst damage especially early. I'd take predator first in almost any situation, but if you get access to strength, admittedly hard for silent, it scales well too.

Riddle with Holes is pretty bad, same damage as Predator with no rider is awful and its significantly worse against Lagavulin (the elite Silent needs more DPS for) due to the compounding effect of the str debuff on it. Neither of them is going to be a primary source of damage after Act 1 but Predator is at least playable all game for the card draw while Riddle with Holes is just sort of a really lovely Blade Dance that costs extra energy and doesn't get Shiv scaling or the synergies that come with playing multiple cards.

Zore fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 22, 2022

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
15 damage for 2 energy is pretty awful out of the box, especially for something that doesn't have widespread synergy with the rest of the class.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

bartlebee posted:

There's nothing insane about this, Boot is legitimately a pretty good early pickup. It's great against anything that blocks, great against anything that inflicts Weak, nice for Ironclad if you find a Pummel, fantastic for Watcher if you have Tantrum (or that 0-cost coin attack I guess), handy for any character if you happen to pick up the 0-cost card draw colourless attack, and so on. Damage is damage and Boot makes you do more of it, therefore it's a good relic

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I love this game.

I usually agree with everyone’s takes here and then the game will present me with a game that makes all of these takes look bad and dumb.

Thousand+ hours in and I’m still so bad and having so much fun

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Riddle with Holes is just kind of awkward in most decks, the most common way outside potions for getting STR+ for Silent is probably Shuriken which plays awkwardly with a 2-energy card

i guess it's kind of like a "play after a bunch of shivs" card like Finisher with the benefit that it doesn't have to be retained/played on the same turn as a Blade Dance+ or something

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Boot is imo a bad relic with a few niche uses like riddle with holes or pummel or even sword boomerang to a lesser degree. None of it scales up so if you get the relic any time after act 1 it's basically useless.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Boot is imo a bad relic with a few niche uses like riddle with holes or pummel or even sword boomerang to a lesser degree. None of it scales up so if you get the relic any time after act 1 it's basically useless.

nemesis says hi

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it does provide extra chip against Nemesis which can be at least a little bit handy, especially if you're shiv-happy

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I tend to agree that the boot is useful as an early relic, but by Act 2 or 3, it quickly becomes kind of useless except for very niche situations. I would argue that if you need the boot to defeat Nemesis, your deck is probably lacking in damage potential anyway.

So my rule of thumb, if a boot is in a chest in act 1, I'll take it, otherwise in 2 and 3 I'll take the key or sadly click on it after an elite and wish it was a dead branch or old coin or anything else really. I never see a scenario in which I buy the boot from a merchant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Boot is also helpful against the damned birds but yeah, it's not usually something I'm really pumped to see and often one of the relics I'll take the key over.

Here's a nice Watcher tip I never quite understood until I heard Baalord sort of reframe it: Scry is an extremely good compliment for any deck but especially the standard stance dancing deck. I think the way he said it was: "scry is just card draw except instead of just getting more cards you are just not getting the bad ones," and for some reason that clicked with me. I feel like a very loose general guideline I like to follow with her is that I should be able to get in and out of both calm and wrath every turn, and if I can't, then a) I have too many non-stance cards, or b) I need more wrath cards specifically. One of the reasons we all say Tantrum is so overpowered is that it solves B pretty much by itself. But Foresight or a couple Cut Through Fates can really help with A. So does Empty Mind.

I still say a reasonable Tantrum nerf would be to somehow make it do less damage every time you play it until it enters your discard pile, then it resets. That's way more complicated mechanically than pretty much anything in the game, but it makes sense to me that you shouldn't be able to rely on it for wrath and damage.

One way to think about Watcher is to just look at Mental Fortress. Yeah, 4/6 block is really not a lot of block. But that should tell you just how much dancing you're supposed to be doing.

OzFactor fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 22, 2022