Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

euphronius posted:

I don’t think that pitching staff is small sample proof

The lineup is good tho
the secret is nothing is small sample proof. This is baseball

I'd encourage Mets fans to find enjoyment in the regular season on it's own terms, to try not to treat it as a 6-month long spring training while you wait for October.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Popete posted:

Carlos Correa arrives for his team physical

perfection

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

If this is another case that comes down to "we will never know the truth and we either believe the Players (+ their agents) or The Management" I am going to pretty much universally side with the players until we see some hardline proof.

STAC Goat posted:

The fact that Correa signed for less money with the Mets and did so so quickly really suggests that there really was something on that physical and they wanted to get the ink dry.

Is this really true, though? Doesn't the math shake out that 315MM over 12 years is about the same as the, what, 350 for 13y contract the Giants were offering in terms of AAV? You're just playing one less year and as has been circled in the thread a few times the back end of these megacontracts is kind of a lottery anyway.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Monathin posted:

If this is another case that comes down to "we will never know the truth and we either believe the Players (+ their agents) or The Management" I am going to pretty much universally side with the players until we see some hardline proof.

Is this really true, though? Doesn't the math shake out that 315MM over 12 years is about the same as the, what, 350 for 13y contract the Giants were offering in terms of AAV? You're just playing one less year and as has been circled in the thread a few times the back end of these megacontracts is kind of a lottery anyway.

It's 35 million less than he was going to be paid and he's unlikely to get another contract at that rate after 12 years.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Popete posted:

It's 35 million less than he was going to be paid and he's unlikely to get another contract at that rate after 12 years.

I mean, yeah, sure, it's a contract for effectively the rest of his career, but assuming he's getting paid about the same across those 12 years that he would have when signing with the Giants, at a certain point I can see the logic of "If you're going to dick me around, I'm fine signing with another team last minute who would be paying me the same rate for one year less."

I just don't see it as a smoking gun that the Giants are 'correct' here, is all.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

counterpoint: 35m is a fuckload of money to handwave away

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

And he’s switching positions.

He obviously didn’t sign for two cents on the dollar but he took less money to compromise more. Hours after the team he had signed with a week had concerns about his health. Even Boras spin doesn’t present it like the Giants bailed. They saw something that concerned them and asked for time, Boras gave them a clock, that clock ran out. It’s weird and we’re only getting one side right now. But nothing about it seems cut and dry.

Meanwhile I’m all about the “Cohen is the new Steinbrenner” takes. Be careful what you wish for.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

euphronius posted:

Top two pitches being a combined 80 years old is the only flaw I guess. Also Phillies had no problems hitting verlander

These are just nitpicks. They can easily win the ws

For everything they overcame last year, the one thing the Phillies couldn't do was beat last year's Mets

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Did we ever see the contract details for the Giants contract? I wouldn't be surprised that this deal is frontloaded to make up for some of that difference.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

elentar posted:

i mean we've learned over and over again that anyone can win the world series if you can just hang in long enough to get the playoff lottery ticket and get hot at the right time.

what the Mets are doing (and to a lesser extent the Dodgers etc.) is trying to proof their team against small sample sizes, and that's a whole different thing. they should cruise to the division title and that'll be something but their season essentially doesn't start till October

can't wait until the Braves somehow win 101 games while the Mets win 100 and then get bounced in the WC round against the 93 win Cardinals.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

It sounds like the Giants owner is a bigger piece of poo poo than we already knew.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

General Bullshit posted:

It sounds like the Giants owner is a bigger piece of poo poo than we already knew.

All of the owners are terrible people, if that helps

Red
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/EricFlemming/status/1605642731023278081

Surely, the Giants will never make that mistake agai-

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

And he’s switching positions.

He obviously didn’t sign for two cents on the dollar but he took less money to compromise more. Hours after the team he had signed with a week had concerns about his health. Even Boras spin doesn’t present it like the Giants bailed. They saw something that concerned them and asked for time, Boras gave them a clock, that clock ran out. It’s weird and we’re only getting one side right now. But nothing about it seems cut and dry.

Meanwhile I’m all about the “Cohen is the new Steinbrenner” takes. Be careful what you wish for.

Yeah, I have a feeling that Boras and Correa really wanted the guarantee quick.

I wouldn't doubt at all that the Giants would change the terms of their offer to less money. But Correa and Boras weren't interested at all at seeing what the GIants would do, how much less it would be. Nor does it seems that they sat down and talked in-depth about whatever concern was on the physical. Not that they owe the Giants this.

Correa had offers. He liked San Francisco's or else he wouldn't have initially agreed with them. Even with this physical issue no doubt that he would still have offers. But he and Boras didn't want to wait and see. Cohen started blithering about how badly he wanted Correa still and it was obvious he'd spend money now.

Maybe the Mets had always been a close second on Correa's list and that's why they agreed so fast.

Correa is probably perfectly fine and it was the Giants being way too cautious. Yes, Correa played for the Twins without issue last year, but it might not have been something that showed up on their physical because it was a) progressive or b) not something they were looking for.

For the sake of Correa and baseball, I would like Farhan to look like an idiot for whiffing. But something smells a little weird with the whole situation.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
https://twitter.com/emmabaccellieri/status/1605678076469202944?s=20&t=B3vz_GRh8VekX9VPHTmZKQ

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

What is the "SF bad" narrative here? Because even Boras seemed to kind of struggle with that in his comments and only seems to be at "they dragged their feet." He doesn't deny that there was a health concern, he simply says it hasn't affected Correa's performance. Do we think they just made up something? Made a bigger deal out of it than it was? Saw something minor and used it in the 11th hour to renegotiate? Like really my whole thing since yesterday has been that it makes no sense for the Giants to just wake up and blow up this deal unless theres a reason. Maybe that reason is "they're dumb" or "they're evil" or something.

But like... an agent doesn't USUALLY call up another team's owner and say "hey, wanna sign my guy for less money than the other guy to play out of position?" the same day he was supposed to have a press conference about his signing. Something drives that decision. A desire not to negotiate or disclose poo poo? As others have set the Mets will presumably do their own physical and see whatever the Giants saw. But maybe Boras felt if he disclosed it and spun it with the Mets it would better then whatever a second (or third) free agency process produced?

I don't know. It just seems obvious to me that this crazy, unprecedented, confusing situation has more to it going on than "lol Giants."

edit: Obviously I'm biased here. I think Correa is an rear end in a top hat so it benefits that for me to assume he and his agent did something shady. And maybe that's motivating my interpretation. I don't know. But Boras doesn't sound like Boras to me in those quotes. I honestly expected more of a spin against the Giants. And right now the simplest story I see is "Correa had something on his physical that the Giants were worried enough about to risk letting him walk and worried Boras enough to sign a QUICK compromised deal."

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 21, 2022

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Yeah, I have a feeling that Boras and Correa really wanted the guarantee quick.
Simply the fact of the Giants pulling out changes Correa's negotiating position with all remaining teams even if the Giants bailed for completely irrelevant and dumb reasons. The mere perception of an issue reduces his negotiating leverage. I wouldn't read anything more into the Mets contract value than that.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

That's one word short

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

That's one word short

That simply makes it more artful.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

STAC Goat posted:

What is the "SF bad" narrative here? Because even Boras seemed to kind of struggle with that in his comments and only seems to be at "they dragged their feet." He doesn't deny that there was a health concern, he simply says it hasn't affected Correa's performance. Do we think they just made up something? Made a bigger deal out of it than it was? Saw something minor and used it in the 11th hour to renegotiate? Like really my whole thing since yesterday has been that it makes no sense for the Giants to just wake up and blow up this deal unless theres a reason. Maybe that reason is "they're dumb" or "they're evil" or something.
I just think they used this old medical issue as a reason to blow up the deal because ownership got nervous about that kind of commitment

It's going to be the kind of thing that players are going to remember down the road when SF comes calling with offers

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Intruder posted:

That's one word short

No, the original was "For sale: baby shoes, never worn"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

No Safe Word posted:

No, the original was "For sale: baby shoes, never worn"

I know, the challenge was specifically to make it six words :colbert:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Kirios posted:

It's a significantly worse situation long term for them to do this versus just signing the agreed contract. The fact they don't realize this... Yeah, it's a firable offense.

Unfortunately I don’t think you can fire the owner and reneging on this deal would 100% be ownerships call.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/samhustis/status/1605686311905423360?s=46&t=_QMiO1xNvDMGHaAPe7kc5w

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The end of the second one got me good

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

STAC Goat posted:

edit: Obviously I'm biased here. I think Correa is an rear end in a top hat so it benefits that for me to assume he and his agent did something shady. And maybe that's motivating my interpretation. I don't know. But Boras doesn't sound like Boras to me in those quotes. I honestly expected more of a spin against the Giants. And right now the simplest story I see is "Correa had something on his physical that the Giants were worried enough about to risk letting him walk and worried Boras enough to sign a QUICK compromised deal."

lol - It's just this - you hate Carlos Correa and it's coloring your interpretation on everything else. At least you recognize it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

"As they say in New York, the cherry on top"

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Popete posted:

"As they say in New York, the cherry on top"

they dont call it the big cherry for nothing!

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Ah New York, the Big Easy.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

As a native new yorker who has heard the phrase my whole life, is "the cherry on top" exclusively a new yorker saying or is that guy just dumb

Wait I think I know the answer after remembering that he's a sports radio caller

Edit: I see others have also taken note of this

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
As they say in Dayton Ohio, the icing on the cake

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
as we say in the East Bay in California, jesus loving christ you mean the A's are going to move to Las Vegas too??

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

STAC Goat posted:

What is the "SF bad" narrative here?

Carlos Correa literally was dressing for the press conference to announce him when the Giants went oh, whoah, heyyyy we found this thing can we give you less money?

If there was even a chance that you were gonna back out/renegotiate, you make sure that's all out of the way before scheduling your announcement.

e:

"I always go back to my favorite movie in life, man, Glengarry Glen Ross" lmao

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Always Be Correaing

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

fast cars loose anus posted:

Carlos Correa literally was dressing for the press conference to announce him when the Giants went oh, whoah, heyyyy we found this thing can we give you less money?

If there was even a chance that you were gonna back out/renegotiate, you make sure that's all out of the way before scheduling your announcement.

Oh come on. You know that kind of poo poo is spin. If anything it feels very much like Boras wants you to focus on silly stuff like “he got dressed that day!” so you ignore the rest of it.

In fact Boras said they had already talked about it and agreed to give the Giants time. So it overtly wasn’t some sudden shock. Boras very specifically negotiated a pull out time and then took it.

quote:

Boras says the club identified “something in his history that for whatever reason gave them doubts” about signing off on the 13-year, $350 million agreement with Correa.

“It is not something that is a current issue,” Boras says. “It clearly is not something that has to do with his functionality. He’s played eight years in the major leagues. They asked for more time for their medical people to review. We agreed.”

A team and a free agent typically begin the endgame to negotiations with a letter of agreement in which the terms of the contract are defined. The letter ends negotiations with other teams and binds the player to the club pending a physical. The letter typically states that the deal can be broken only by “the sole discretion of the club.”

In agreeing to giving the Giants more time for a medical review, Boras says he asked the Giants to decide by around 1 or 1:30 p.m. local time. He says he told the club, “If you are not prepared to execute the letter of agreement by then, let us know because we then will need to engage with other teams.”

“They said, ‘Fine,’” Boras says.

By about 1 p.m. Pacific, the Giants informed Boras they were not prepared to execute the letter of agreement, effectively putting Correa back on the free agent market. Boras began contacting other clubs about Correa’s availability. He says he spent “four or five hours” negotiating with Cohen, who was enjoying dinner and a martini in Hawai’i. Boras asked Cohen, “Do you have three olives for a third baseman?” The two of them briefly had discussed Correa just before Correa reached agreement with the Giants, though Boras says they did not exchange terms then. This time they agreed on a 12-year, $315 million deal. It was 3:15 a.m. Wednesday in New York when they closed the deal.

That doesn’t read as “sudden” to me at all. Now obviously it was dumb for the Giants to schedule a press conference before that poo poo was resolved. But the idea that they sprung this suddenly on Correa as he was adjusting his tie sure seems debunked by Boras.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

STAC Goat posted:

Oh come on. You know that kind of poo poo is spin. If anything it feels very much like Boras wants you to focus on silly stuff like “he got dressed that day!” so you ignore the rest of it.

In fact Boras said they had already talked about it and agreed to give the Giants time. So it overtly wasn’t some sudden shock. Boras very specifically negotiated a pull out time and then took it.

That doesn’t read as “sudden” to me at all. Now obviously it was dumb for the Giants to schedule a press conference before that poo poo was resolved. But the idea that they sprung this suddenly on Correa as he was adjusting his tie sure seems debunked by Boras.

Sorry but you announced the press conference to announce your signing and then discovered something and tried to renegotiate you are the bad guy

If you thought there was a possibility some such thing would come up you figure that out before announcing a press conference

There's no way out of this for the Giants. They look like a rinky-dink franchise right now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sorry but you announced the press conference to announce your signing and then discovered something and tried to renegotiate you are the bad guy

If you thought there was a possibility some such thing would come up you figure that out before announcing a press conference

There's no way out of this for the Giants. They look like a rinky-dink franchise right now.
Right; Boras wasn't the one who caused this, they had agreed to terms but the team decided not to move forward and that opened the window for him to go to the Mets.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

There's no way the Giants front office looks good on this and lol for trying to turn this back on the player and agent. No matter how much you might dislike them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Obviously the Giants made some kind of mismanagement of the situation. But we’re literally just repeating back the spin coming out of the Boras/Correa camp and even that seems contradictory. So nonsense like “he was already dressed!” feels secondary to the idea that there was apparently some kind of potentially undisclosed health issue that derailed this deal seemingly a lot earlier than yesterday afternoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

"I always go back to my favorite movie in life, man, Glengarry Glen Ross" lmao

Tell me you’re a Silicon Valley crypto bro without telling me that you’re a Silicon Valley crypto bro