Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
Dead cells was the game that made me get a controller finally and right when I started I realized outright, "oh, this is WAY better for this game." But whenever I've tried to use a controller for an FPS it just makes me feel frustrated, as if my character's arms holding the gun are swathed in thick jello. Especially for fasp paced FPS games, and I do tend to like those, it's a no-go.

But I wish I'd never read (I think in this thread!) about the phrasing of just "clicking on enemies heads quickly" because now I can't un-feel it, but it's a good thing I only play the best FPS games who's atmosphere helps preserve the sense of urgency and ACTION

and y-axis invert always

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

internet celebrity posted:

I played thousands of hours of FFXI with just a keyboard because the mouse was so janky in that game that it was completely unusable.

ffxi's hosed up keyboard only control scheme broke my brain so much after seven years that I was never able to play MMOs that use the mouse, which is most of them

So probably a net positive for my life

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

pretty soft girl posted:

ffxi's hosed up keyboard only control scheme broke my brain so much after seven years that I was never able to play MMOs that use the mouse, which is most of them

So probably a net positive for my life

What is this new av???

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Dualsense has haptic triggers and also a track pad. Did I mention velocity? Why is Sony toying with us? Oh. The Last of Us.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Impossible how? still works fine for me op

I had to always gently caress around with settings to get it to work, especially with small indie games so I broke down and bought an Xbone controller with a 9 foot cord and things are less fucky now.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
y-axis invert forever & ever :colbert:

Also the real trick to aiming in a FPS with a controller is to get used to :airquote: good enough :airquote: and let the auto-aim fill in the headshots for you (*ahem* Destiny 2 *ahem*)

A farting mink
Nov 6, 2022

by Pragmatica
Oh and anyone who likes playing old console games on an emulator or whatever but refuses to get a gamepad, even some cheap piece of poo poo from Ali Express, get hosed. The keyboard is not just as good you dimling.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

giogadi posted:

What are some games that can be played only on keyboard? Bonus points if they can be played with both hands on home row. Other than Typing of the Dead

most traditional roguelikes like Nethack, DCSS, Angband, Brogue, etc
some need the numpad and won't work with homerow only though

A farting mink
Nov 6, 2022

by Pragmatica
Lego Builder's Journey is free on the Epic store right now. It's a cute little puzzle game that anyone who's ever loved playing with those bricks will enjoy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRduoQ2G6RE

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I imagine hearthstone and other digital card games would be pretty awkward to play with a gamepad. I guess Slay the Spire could work.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

giogadi posted:

What are some games that can be played only on keyboard? Bonus points if they can be played with both hands on home row. Other than Typing of the Dead

Gothic and Gothic 2 and you really only need your left hand if I remember right

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

A farting mink posted:

See my problem is that I'm too used to aiming with a mouse. I can't hit poo poo with a gamepad cause I keep over-steering. I bought DOOM 2016 for Switch during a sale because it's loving DOOM running on that piece of crap. Couldn't hit the first imps you meet to save my life.
I have the same problem with flight simulators. I need my hot rear end or I'm just gonna have a miserable time.

Autocorrect or Freudian slip? :tutbutt:

HOTAS is a flight stick, to those who aren’t familiar

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

SCheeseman posted:

The trackpad sucks for mouse/cursor input or anything like that, but If you use Steam Input the trackpad on the DS4/Dual Sense can be used for all the customizable UI stuff they created for the Steam Controller. It's rad.

To me, it just gets in the way. Go to press start or select, it's in the way. Pick up the controller, it's in the way! Worthless, overdesigned garbage.

And you know the worst part? When I play games that actually use it, it doesn't even work! It's supposed to be the input to use your special attacks in Persona 5, but no matter how I change my control setup, pressing it activates auto-battle instead :shepicide:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 21, 2022

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
people play rocket league on keyboard and mouse which just blows my tiny little mind

but still not as much as the crazy fuckers who do it with Dark Souls

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

most traditional roguelikes like Nethack, DCSS, Angband, Brogue, etc
some need the numpad and won't work with homerow only though

Yeah playing those without a numpad sucks large, I always buy a full keyboard for my laptops for that exact reason lol

The new ADOM is on switch and it claims it has a good interface but I'm like lol

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
actually playing with vi-keys is superior, moving your hands back and forth between the keyboard and numpad is worse than just keeping them on the homerow 24/7
i was really annoyed that ADOM lacked a built in vikeys preset and I had to make one on my own

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Look, I'm not gonna go against 30 years of muscle memory

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

giogadi posted:

First person shooters, if you don't want to suck

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

precision posted:

ADOM is on switch

precision posted:

good interface

:bighow:

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

First person shooters, if you don't want to suck

I guess I should’ve clarified that I meant “without a mouse”. Although I guess a lot of people played fps on keyboard-only before mouselook 🤮

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
WASD and arrow keys lol

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

In my youth it was Doom with the arrow keys for movement and ctrl to shoot baby

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Keyboards are great for fighting games for example. Fight sticks are just keyboards you can't type on.

Basically every game's better on keyboard unless it's designed for gamepad in such a way that there's no way to bind stuff to individual keys. Gamepads are more comfortable in a situation when you're not sitting behind a desk.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to need your flesh with my own board. Suddenly you are going to get my fu. This time with assault and battery.

Sho Ryu Ken!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Vic posted:

Keyboards are great for fighting games for example. Fight sticks are just keyboards you can't type on.

Basically every game's better on keyboard unless it's designed for gamepad in such a way that there's no way to bind stuff to individual keys. Gamepads are more comfortable in a situation when you're not sitting behind a desk.

if you just sit back a little bit from the desk a gamepad is more comfortable there also

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

DontMockMySmock posted:

Hollow Knight is good because the map is useless.

Wtf Super Metroid why isn’t your map telling me exactly where everything is!

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

HK's map has landmarks on it. Super Metroid's doesn't, except for save stations, which are all identical. If I remember a place I want to go back to, there's no loving way I'm going to figure out where it is by looking at SM's map. It doesn't even mark where the boundaries between regions are.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's honestly quite difficult to get lost in Hollow Knight. Every region only has like one entrance, up is home and down is danger, and there's only one area that's intentionally mazelike. Most areas are pretty open

On top of that, there are very few secret wall type bullshits, and the game's visual language always tells you how much danger you're in

Furthermore

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

DontMockMySmock posted:

HK's map has landmarks on it. Super Metroid's doesn't, except for save stations, which are all identical. If I remember a place I want to go back to, there's no loving way I'm going to figure out where it is by looking at SM's map. It doesn't even mark where the boundaries between regions are.

How the hell does Super Metroid not have landmarks? Everyone remembers the collapsing green bridge or the bullshit glass power bomb tube or the sinking sand trap. Hollow Knight if anything is the one that has a problem with the areas all blending together into the same dark spooky haze.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

galagazombie posted:

How the hell does Super Metroid not have landmarks? Everyone remembers the collapsing green bridge or the bullshit glass power bomb tube or the sinking sand trap. Hollow Knight if anything is the one that has a problem with the areas all blending together into the same dark spooky haze.

They're taking about the readability of the automap. There are landmarks in the actual level but they aren't shown on the map screen

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

galagazombie posted:

Oh, SM has landmarks, that's true. I remember all of those. But they're not on the map. i can look at the sea of pink rectangles and have NO idea where the collapsing green bridge is, even though I've run through that room dozens of times.

If you think HK's areas blend together, then you must not have gotten to the second region of the game? the first region is the dark hazy one, then the second region is a lush, bright, green zone. it's literally called Greenpath.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

If you don't have Super Metroid memorized backwards and forwards, that is a you problem. Use your shame as motivation and fix it.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

If you don't have Super Metroid memorized backwards and forwards, that is a you problem. Use your shame as motivation and fix it.

oh i do have it memorized. or at least I used to; haven't played it in a few years. but i didn't get there with any help from the lovely loving in-game map.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I never got lost in Hollow Knight, but I do remember being frustrated while trying to find the connections to other areas. Like you just had to scope out the little spots at the edges of the map where the wall doesn't completely seal things off, then go there and hope you have the necessary movement abilities to get through.

A farting mink
Nov 6, 2022

by Pragmatica

That loving Sned posted:

Autocorrect or Freudian slip? :tutbutt:

HOTAS is a flight stick, to those who aren’t familiar

Don't shame my hot rear end X52, coward!

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
They knew exactly what they were doing when they came up with the HOTAS acronym. There are a hundred different ways you could describe that kind of controller other than "hands on throttle and stick" lol

A farting mink
Nov 6, 2022

by Pragmatica
In conclusion, Trombone Champ is the best game this year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7n_S2_VpB8

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

A farting mink posted:

In conclusion, Trombone Champ is the best game this year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7n_S2_VpB8

Agreed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFAs1yn1wQE

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

DontMockMySmock posted:

Oh, SM has landmarks, that's true. I remember all of those. But they're not on the map. i can look at the sea of pink rectangles and have NO idea where the collapsing green bridge is, even though I've run through that room dozens of times.

If you think HK's areas blend together, then you must not have gotten to the second region of the game? the first region is the dark hazy one, then the second region is a lush, bright, green zone. it's literally called Greenpath.

They’re all dark blue and hazy. There’s dark blue hazy intro, dark blue hazy with the occasional pink crystal, dark blue hazy with some vegetation (you mentioned this one), dark blue hazy with the rain….

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

galagazombie posted:

They’re all dark blue and hazy. There’s dark blue hazy intro, dark blue hazy with the occasional pink crystal, dark blue hazy with some vegetation (you mentioned this one), dark blue hazy with the rain….

There are a couple blue areas in the game but they're at least different shades of blue. The City of Tears is a middle-brightness blue, the Deepnest is dark blue. There's also the Blue Lake area of the Resting Grounds that's a very bright blue-green. And of course the sky is blue in some of the outside areas. But you're talking absolute bullshit if you say the entire game is dark blue.