Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
Been rewatching Jonathan Creek recently, and I'd wholehearted endorse the TM house made up to look like the inside of his windmill

If we have to wait to put a few series space between circus and that, worth the wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
How was taskmaster us? I just fed it read available on the Google drive. Anyway I just finished series 14 and in the final task, Fern absolutely did not hit Greg. Wtf. She was robbed!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Taskmaster america was entirely UK tasks and half an hour long. It was completely unremarkable and unmemorable. There was like one attempt at the hide in a photo task that was clever but I can't really remember what it was anymore.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Ron Funches was a joy to watch, but the rest was mediocre to bad.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

It's genuinely best to pretend the American version doesn't exist. Funches was the best there but let's not pretend he saves the show.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Wasn’t Freddie Highmore a fan of the U.K. version? I’m sure I read that somewhere. I enjoyed his bits.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
My takeaway from watching it as it aired was it was at least better than no Taskmaster.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

thehustler posted:

Wasn’t Freddie Highmore a fan of the U.K. version? I’m sure I read that somewhere. I enjoyed his bits.

That’s why he does so well on it

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I thought Freddie Highmore and Ron Funches were wasted on the US version because they were both great, they just didn't get much to work with unfortunately.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Someone claims to have been at the filming for a bunch of the aussie tapings and that it all sounds positive.
https://www.reddit.com/r/panelshow/comments/zlwe7v/i_went_to_3_tapings_of_aussie_taskmaster/

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Was Kate Berlant not good in the US Taskmaster? I love her but nobody ever brings her up

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Why are they doing TM Aussie when TM NZ and Paul Williams are right there smh.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I believe the tasks are actually being filmed by the nz crew at the nz house, with only the studio segments in Aus. So I assume Little Paul Williams is involved in devising and running tasks even if he's not on-screen.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Pablo Bluth posted:

I believe the tasks are actually being filmed by the nz crew at the nz house, with only the studio segments in Aus. So I assume Little Paul Williams is involved in devising and running tasks even if he's not on-screen.

Why couldn't they find a house in Australia? Is it because of NZ tax breaks that made LotR possible?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

My guess economies of scale, and risk reduction by using a production team already up to speed.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

NZ is a real place that deserves its own TM :colbert:

Edit: and I guess so does Australia

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

NZ is a real place doing a great job so they deserve Australia's TM money and contestants is what I'm arguing for.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

CatstropheWaitress posted:

NZ is a real place doing a great job so they deserve Australia's TM money and contestants is what I'm arguing for.

:hmmyes:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
NZ also deserves the economic simulation of a bunch of foreigners inputting money.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I couldn't resist and donated to charity in a really silly Taskmaster-ish way. SPOILERS FOR MY VERSION OF TASKMASTER IN THE BELOW VIDEO:
https://www.cameo.com/taskmaster/feed/6397cc2071b66b88bd0d2b9c?utm_campaign=feed_video_share_to_copy

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

TelevisedInsanity posted:

One of my favorite quotes is at the end when they talk the funding for the projects:

If you're wondering the cost for a season of Taskmaster, it's roughly US $564,644.37

And when you consider the price of Jeremy's head? That has to be $4.37 of it!

EDIT: just so I don't double post, did anybody see the Quebec edition of Taskmaster?

It looks like fun, even if they are repeating early taskmaster tasks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3NO5HOlJT8

I just watched the first episode of the Quebec version and I really liked it. There was a big laugh out loud moment for me at what one of the contestants brought at the beginning of the show.

Also kind of funny that they beep out the french swears but not the multiple instances of people saying gently caress.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Well french is the only language in the history of humankind. Everything else is just random meaningless noises.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well, in a possible preview of what another attempt at an American Taskmaster would be like, Good Mythical Morning did their take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnJ6wLrEMy4

Of course, the main thing I think would be a problem with an American version of Taskmaster is that American comedians are much less tightly knit compared to British comedians, and I think Americans would have problems with being overly competitive, and these two have been doing meaningless competitions as friends for a long time.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Alex should pitch a Big Brother: Taskmaster spinoff to crack the US market. Or maybe Taskmaster: 90 Day Fiance.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Love Island Taskmaster. Imagine.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

There's plenty of competitive/noncompetitive talent to find for a Taskmaster US, tbh. Just run it through the troupe of comedians that make up Comedy Bang Bang, or Dropout (old college humor), or poo poo, Citizens Brigade, etc. The pool is ripe with old and young folks, and networks that you'd think would jump on it (Netflix, Hulu, HBO...).

Given how well the international versions have done otherwise, I do wonder if a reboot hasn't happened due to Comedy Central maintaining the US IP, or if Alex was just so burned by it that he isn't interested in trying again. Still bewildering that they tapped Lisa Lampanelli for their trial run.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Paladinus posted:

Love Island Taskmaster. Imagine.

:sickos:

nerox
May 20, 2001
Don't give US reality show makers more ideas, MILF Island from 30 rock is already becoming real.

https://www.avclub.com/milf-manor-tlc-now-just-straight-up-lifting-show-ideas-1849896291

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

You say that like it's a bad thing

itry
Aug 23, 2019

nerox posted:

Don't give US reality show makers more ideas, MILF Island from 30 rock is already becoming real.

https://www.avclub.com/milf-manor-tlc-now-just-straight-up-lifting-show-ideas-1849896291

They actually called it MILF Manor. Amazing.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Horne was on the Off Menu podcast that came out today and, you know how he'll put absolutely anything in his mouth on Taskmaster?

... yeah. He has some kind of mouth blindness.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Unkempt posted:

Horne was on the Off Menu podcast that came out today and, you know how he'll put absolutely anything in his mouth on Taskmaster?

... yeah. He has some kind of mouth blindness.

:newlol:

"This menu is going to be absolute dogshit" - Ed Gamble

Edit: :psyduck:

itry fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 22, 2022

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
hearing james read it out at the end made me gag, what the gently caress

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

CatstropheWaitress posted:

There's plenty of competitive/noncompetitive talent to find for a Taskmaster US, tbh. Just run it through the troupe of comedians that make up Comedy Bang Bang, or Dropout (old college humor), or poo poo, Citizens Brigade, etc. The pool is ripe with old and young folks, and networks that you'd think would jump on it (Netflix, Hulu, HBO...).

Given how well the international versions have done otherwise, I do wonder if a reboot hasn't happened due to Comedy Central maintaining the US IP, or if Alex was just so burned by it that he isn't interested in trying again. Still bewildering that they tapped Lisa Lampanelli for their trial run.

I do honestly think you could do a Taskmaster USA, but there is a ton of "but unlike the first time around"

Such as keep the show a full hour (instead of half), keep the format of "prize task", "three tasks", "live task"

And then get the casting to be scattered, Paul F Thomkins and Michael Ian Black could fair well, against somebody more "out there" like a Sarah Sherman or even Tom Green.

It's without a doubt possible but you'll need a not Alex Horne assistant and a Grumpy Creative Type as Taskmaster.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

TelevisedInsanity posted:

It's without a doubt possible but you'll need a not Alex Horne assistant and a Grumpy Creative Type as Taskmaster.
You'd have to go bigger with names, which means a bigger investment in money and time, or shrink it smaller, which means less viewership and less chance of it being licensed out. Aka, either you make a version where Jane Lynch is the Taskmaster, or a version where Grant O'Brien (from Collegehumor/Dropout) is the Alex Horne. I can't see anyone doing a "we're not doing this like the other time" version where they keep the same 'tier' of celebrity for the host.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Superrodan posted:

I HAVE SOME INCREDIBLE NEWS THEN. It's fortuitous that you made this post actually because your username is mentioned somewhere in one of these two fabulous brand new episodes.

I have FINALLY, FINALLY, finished editing my version of Taskmaster. It has escaped into the world, and here it is (part 2 is linked in the description AND in a small window at the end that is my stupid joke at the expense of the official Taskmaster channel):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmhjC9a-25k

I really appreciate everyone that helped me with this, most of the jury members were goons. For a fun idea of how long this has been in the works, check out my post history in this thread. I hope you guys enjoy, I know I had a blast putting this together and I'm proud of how it turned out.

I finally watched the second episode yesterday (YouTube reminded me by putting it in my recommendations). Just want to say great work! The tasks, the presentation and the editing really capture the Taskmaster spirit. It's a shame about the corrupted or lost footage but I think you really made the best of it.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
I was talking to an american friend of mine who has never watched it yesterday about whether she thinks an american version would work and the prize task / whole idea of a competition that doesnt really have a prize seemed to just absolutely confuse her.

She started by just kind of assuming it was like a gameshow with a cash prize of some sort and insisted in america they'd have to have the contestants compete to give their winnings to charity.

When I explained how the prize task works, and that it's not really about that she just got more confused. It's possible I'm just bad at explaining it, but idk, even after I think she got the point she still insisted they should play for charity or similar or americans would find it gauche.

It's a sample size of one but idk, perhaps the idea of competing over essentially nothing* is at least part of why an american version is difficult to get properly made.

* I don't feel like anyone has actually cared about winning the prizes since the first, maybe second. Even then it was more about trying not to lose their stake, if they cared at all. The whole prize task is more like the "mascot" section of cats does countdown than an actual prize presentation.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
They have Whose Line Is It Anyway in America where the tagline of the show is "where everything is made up and the points don't matter" and that seemed to be reasonably popular and have a similar ethos all round so I think your friend might just be built different.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Spek posted:

I was talking to an american friend of mine who has never watched it yesterday about whether she thinks an american version would work and the prize task / whole idea of a competition that doesnt really have a prize seemed to just absolutely confuse her.

She started by just kind of assuming it was like a gameshow with a cash prize of some sort and insisted in america they'd have to have the contestants compete to give their winnings to charity.

When I explained how the prize task works, and that it's not really about that she just got more confused. It's possible I'm just bad at explaining it, but idk, even after I think she got the point she still insisted they should play for charity or similar or americans would find it gauche.

It's a sample size of one but idk, perhaps the idea of competing over essentially nothing* is at least part of why an american version is difficult to get properly made.

* I don't feel like anyone has actually cared about winning the prizes since the first, maybe second. Even then it was more about trying not to lose their stake, if they cared at all. The whole prize task is more like the "mascot" section of cats does countdown than an actual prize presentation.

There’s plenty of US shows in a similar vein without a prize. Unless your friend is especially obtuse, I don’t think that’s it.

Not that these are good shows, but stuff like “to tell the truth” doesn’t have a prize and functions similar to taskmaster.

IMO part of the reason taskmaster has trouble catching on here is a few things.

1. The chat bits. American TV doesn’t really do that, and doesn’t really have the talk show format. There are talk shows, but they’re drivel aimed at people with no brains who are only interested in the specific person. Because of this, talk shows tend to get a bad rap, especially for a show that would be prime time. There are some late night shows, but it’s not really the same thing.

2. The silliness. American TV doesn’t really do silly. Anything silly is typically relegated to cartoons or extremely dumb formats like wipeout.

Taskmaster is clearly very silly, but much of its charm relies on cleverness and clever people getting stuck in silly situations. US TV just doesn’t ever really mix the two.

3. Talent options. Because the US doesn’t have a large talk show circuit, most mid to low level comedians aren’t known by large swaths of the population. And for the talk shows we do have (the late night shows, day time garbage) there’s almost 0 focus on comedy and all on celebrity.

Due to this, a network would have to spend huge huge money to get recognizable faces that would be big enough to pull people in. Anyone within a reasonable budget wouldn’t be enough of a draw.

Edit:

Just saw above. Who’s line is an interesting example. People love who’s line, but it’s significantly sillier and more rapid fire than taskmaster. I didn’t touch on it above, but standard taskmaster is probably considered to slow moving (jokes per minute) for American TV for most viewers.

Additionally, who’s line got really popular only towards the end of its initial run, and IIRC a lot of the initial popularity push was the host, Drew Carey.

They brought the show back a few years ago, with all of the same funny cast that everyone loved and raves about, but with a different host and people just don’t seem to care. I don’t know if it’s the new host, or that US TV has moved on from shows like that.

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

thehustler posted:

hearing james read it out at the end made me gag, what the gently caress

It's like when you first meet someone who just doesn't "get" the difference between right/left. Or when you hear about people who can't visualize things. You just go "huh, the brain sure is interesting".

Then you hear about or meet people who don't get music. You go "that's weird, but ok... I guess".

And then there's Alex Horne. It's not that he has bad taste. He seems to have no taste. Period. I guess he doesn't get food.

Edit:

Spek posted:

The more I think about it, the more I sincerely believe that for a US TM to work they'll just have to treat it like a reality TV game-show. Just have tryhard randos compete, maybe have a "couples special" once in a while. And the Taskmaster should (naturally) be Gordon Ramsay, or a Ramsay-like.

itry fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 22, 2022