Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
also won't nvidia handicap the 4060 because it might compete against other nvidia products then release a cut down 4070 that will be called 4060 then a release a 4060 ti then another 4060 with slight different memory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I've tried FG with Portal RTX, The Witcher 3, Spider-Man, and Flight Simulator. I don't really dislike it, it's just okay. It adds a little bit of extra smoothness, but it doesn't really feel much faster. In games which you are GPU-bound, it's almost always a downgrade. Which is going to be almost all games if you're on a 4060.

This means it’s just the same evolution path we had with Turing where only the 2080Ti was really fun to play with RT and DLSS with less comprises.

I claim FG has come to stay and might be a showcase for the 4080 and 4090 “only”, if your 4060 scenario is true.

The technology might need 1 or 2 more gens to be accessible to a broader audience without that stupid entry “fee”.

Pathtracing even rips 4090s asunder without upscaling and FG help, so the transition to 4K and better graphics will not be solved with raw power alone.

That tech will mature. The prices are unfortunately as high as the fps.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it will mature for sure, but there's always going to be a latency trade-off as long as they rely on interpolation

DLSS2/FSR2 were a much more straightforward win since they were just a refinement of the TAA techniques everyone was already using

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

perhaps future iterations of frame generation could give you the choice between "performance FG" (extrapolation without lag) or "quality FG" (interpolation with lag)

i don't know what kind of image quality you can reasonably expect with extrapolation though, it's used in VR but only as a last resort there due to the image degradation

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I haven't played with it enough to have an opinion, but I've seen people on the internet showing weird artifacts from dlss/fsr. Example: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/v2tylq/god_of_war_fsr_20_and_dlss_artifact_comparison/

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I wonder when AMD will try to release a 7800 that is both slower and more expensive than the 6950

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

I haven't played with it enough to have an opinion, but I've seen people on the internet showing weird artifacts from dlss/fsr. Example: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/v2tylq/god_of_war_fsr_20_and_dlss_artifact_comparison/

there are places where they fall down, but overall they hold up remarkably well considering that even on quality mode they're only rendering about half the pixels of a native image each frame. FSR 2.0s disocclusion fizzle in GOW was pretty bad but they improved that in 2.1 i think.

i would like to see more flexibility to dial in the quality though, having discrete steps of 33/50/58/66% axis scale is an arbitrary limitation, there's no reason they couldn't just give you a slider that goes from 33% to 100% so you can give it just a few more pixels if you're noticing instability

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Mr.PayDay posted:

I went with all that negative feedback into all 4 FG games thinking that it was “fake frames”. And I was left impressed and feel it might even be a bigger deal than DLSS and FSR imo.
The performance punch was stupidly amazing and makes Witcher 3 Ultra+ and Raytracing feel smooth.
I played Spiderman without DLSS but with FG and the fps boost was astonishing.

What FG games did you test or what did you dislike ?

I've been doing both spidersmans with FG and DLAA instead of DLSS.

It's completely amazing. I don't notice any extra latency at all, and I run it at full settings at max FPS on both 4k120 and 1440pUW at 144 at absolute max frames.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm playing Destiny 2 (on a 60hz monitor no less) which by virtue of being an old console port does not tax my system much at all, so I'm looking at the render resolution slider to render above my display resolution all "After all, why shouldn't I?" ala Bilbo.

Is there any point? AA by way of scaling it back down to my display rez?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Just sayin' that :airquote: 100+ FPS :airquote: with frame generation and all RT settings to high in Darktide is pretty nice and the latency increase is not negatively impacting my gameplay.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
how the gently caress did we land on lovely interpolation being the shiny new thing when async spacewarp exists for like half a decade now, achieves more or less the same thing, but does not introduce input lag

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Can some of you novideo freaks generate some extra frames for santa (USPS) to make my AMD gpu get here faster tia

I kind of lament the loss of Power Play Tables with RDNA 3 but it doesn't exactly seem like it needs them.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Truga posted:

how the gently caress did we land on lovely interpolation being the shiny new thing

I don't know but I truly hate it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Truga posted:

how the gently caress did we land on lovely interpolation being the shiny new thing when async spacewarp exists for like half a decade now, achieves more or less the same thing, but does not introduce input lag

because extrapolation algorithms like spacewarp are more prone to artifacts, hence why in VR they are treated as a last resort to keep the user from barfing, rather than "free frames"

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Arrath posted:

I'm playing Destiny 2 (on a 60hz monitor no less) which by virtue of being an old console port does not tax my system much at all, so I'm looking at the render resolution slider to render above my display resolution all "After all, why shouldn't I?" ala Bilbo.

It just looks good. For some reason Nvidia Geforce Experience has been autoscaling my games to 4K and then resizing them to fit my 1440p monitor lately and the additional crispness is definitely noticeable in some cases (like it totally eliminates low-res environmental textures in Elden Ring)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

because extrapolation algorithms like spacewarp are more prone to artifacts, hence why in VR they are treated as a last resort to keep the user from barfing, rather than "free frames"

they're not free frames with interpolation either just a different lovely tradeoff. it's why everyone will tell you to turn that poo poo off when your expensive tv ships with it on by default lol

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

like i posted above it would be nice to have the choice between extrapolation or interpolation so you can pick your poison depending on how latency sensitive the game is

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Truga posted:

because it's ~*artificial intelligence machine learning tensor cores*~ doing it

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

like i posted above it would be nice to have the choice between extrapolation or interpolation so you can pick your poison depending on how latency sensitive the game is

yeah that's fair

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I have a theory that you can reinvent any existing technology that gamers hate using tensor cores and put a GeForce logo on it and they'll be busting in their jorts to be the most passionate one to proclaim it as the best next generation technology that everyone else just doesn't understand the significance of.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kazinsal posted:

I have a theory that you can reinvent any existing technology that gamers hate using tensor cores and put a GeForce logo on it and they'll be busting in their jorts to be the most passionate one to proclaim it as the best next generation technology that everyone else just doesn't understand the significance of.
Certainly works in this thread.

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

My friend picked up a 4090 and I tried out Portal and Witcher 3 at his place. DLSS3 is pretty cool and I didn't really notice any latency, but I must be particularly sensitive to the weird compression-y artefacts it introduces. I felt like I was watching a YouTube video on a TV with frame interpolation turn on. I'm sure it'll improve in time, but I'd personally leave it off right now. My friend didn't mind the look though. Seems to perform best when going from a high frame rate to an even higher frame rate so I'm not sure how well something like a 4060, where the base frame rate will be way lower, would fare.

I do think it's amusing that the people were always complaining about all the "hacks" that developers need to do to good looking lighting in video games before ray tracing was a thing. Now we've got ray tracing, but we're also burdened with an entirely new set of temporal hacks to get anything useable. Maybe one day return to the good old days, when a frame was a frame, not some monstrosity stitched together from the corpses of previous, dead frames.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

We're still mostly either-or-ing raytraced shadows or raytraced lights too while trying to fake the sound. Though, for all of the poo poo I gave the CoD devs for jizzing all over themselves about the water caustics in MW2, they are really well done. Because of the way they are calculated, a really oversimplified explanation could be "double raytracing"

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i can't see TAA and it's siblings ever going away really, despite their faults they're just too strong of a force-multiplier to give up

it takes supersampling from an absurdly high resolution to achieve from scratch in one frame what TAA does almost as well in a few milliseconds

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Has anyone checked what the new max supersampling resolution is on a 1080p display with RDNA 3 cards? If you're only using one monitor you can do 2880p with the 6900XT. Idk that I'd call it playable, but it was pretty cool for capturing replays of good runs.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I dunno. I'd have to see it in action but being mad about "fake frames" while the raster pipeline is full of horrible hacks that vaguely approximate what things should look like seems pretty weird.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

I dunno. I'd have to see it in action but being mad about "fake frames" while the raster pipeline is full of horrible hacks that vaguely approximate what things should look like seems pretty weird.

Yeah once i've seen RT in action I am absolutely not willing to put up with screenspace reflections, sticks out like a sore thumb

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Arrath posted:

It's more AA yes.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

doesn't destiny 2 still have really terrible antialiasing, sounds like a good candidate for supersampling if you can afford it

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's more AA yes.

Its almost AAA

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

SSR, sure that's the very definition of a hack. This is totally splitting hairs but I wouldn't really call shadow maps a hack though. They're fundamentally solving the same visibility query as intersecting a ray with geometry does. You absolutely can do stuff like penumbra, translucency, and pixel perfect sharpness with shadow maps. There is decades worth of research from the film industry that hasn't really been tapped yet in games.

I'm kind of reminded of the mid-late 2000s when everyone started doing HDR, bokeh, and bloom in their games, but few did it well and most were a blurry brown mess. Now, we've got a few stand out raytracing titles but need to put up with a lot ghosting, interpolation, and blur. In the case of RTGI, I find the way lighting lags its cause to be very distracting. Shadows from fans and quickly moving object in Portal RTX have an unrealistic, odd look to them that comes from the temporal reconstruction. We put up with it now because it's new and shiny, but nobody wants that. Honestly, we're probably at the dawn of a glorious new age of hacks that developers will create to bring, I dunno, "immediacy" back to ray traced lighting.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
Deep learning is actually an insane inflection point on image and video modeling and temporal data, this would not be just a “technology progressing as expected” case. I don’t have much experience with rendering but there’s a reason why Neurips and the other ML conferences sell out registration in minutes and SIGGRAPH is 75% deep learning papers. It really is a new world.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

steckles posted:

SSR, sure that's the very definition of a hack. This is totally splitting hairs but I wouldn't really call shadow maps a hack though. They're fundamentally solving the same visibility query as intersecting a ray with geometry does. You absolutely can do stuff like penumbra, translucency, and pixel perfect sharpness with shadow maps. There is decades worth of research from the film industry that hasn't really been tapped yet in games.

yeah shadowmaps can model point lights pretty well, where they fall apart completely is with large or oddly shaped area lights.

the compromise UE5 makes is sensible for now - keep using shadowmaps for small lights, and handle large light shadows implicitly through the global illumination system. it's a bit laggy and has limited resolution, but it's better than nothing.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
so what you're saying is, the first person who builds path tracing assisted shadowmaps to file off the edge cases wins the RT race? :v:

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

JackBandit posted:

Deep learning is actually an insane inflection point on image and video modeling and temporal data, this would not be just a “technology progressing as expected” case. I don’t have much experience with rendering but there’s a reason why Neurips and the other ML conferences sell out registration in minutes and SIGGRAPH is 75% deep learning papers. It really is a new world.
I honestly don't think deep learning is going to find too much use in graphics in the near to medium term beyond running relatively small pre-trained networks, like DLSS does, or for denoising. All the image generation networks are amazing, but they're also inscrutable black boxes that would be tough to art direct. I'd love to see somebody make a game using NeRFs though. That would be awesome.

repiv posted:

yeah shadowmaps can model point lights pretty well, where they fall apart completely is with large or oddly shaped area lights.
You can definitely do some neat stochastic things with multiple maps per emitter to get arbitrarily close to ground truth, but yeah that's where they fall apart. I remember when the first raytraced ambient occlusion images started gaining attention in the 90s and the Renderman people coming up with some absolutely crazy ways to do it with shadow maps.

Truga posted:

so what you're saying is, the first person who builds path tracing assisted shadowmaps to file off the edge cases wins the RT race? :v:
Probably. We're realistically always gonna be at a deficit for ray tracing performance. Using the rays that can be traced in your frame budget to fill in the cracks of you more garden variety hacks is probably gonna make up a lot of research in the next few years.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If real-time ray tracing at the consumer level was only available quite recently, does that mean there was ray-tracing being done earlier in the 21st century in applications where you could take all the time you wanted to render frames and then play it back? Like a movie or some other CGI?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

If real-time ray tracing at the consumer level was only available quite recently, does that mean there was ray-tracing being done earlier in the 21st century in applications where you could take all the time you wanted to render frames and then play it back? Like a movie or some other CGI?

Pixar movies have been fully ray/path traced for near a decade now, IIRC.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah, some 3d shows/movies are path traced to at least some extent going back to like 90s or something, also what ^ said

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

steckles posted:

Probably. We're realistically always gonna be at a deficit for ray tracing performance. Using the rays that can be traced in your frame budget to fill in the cracks of you more garden variety hacks is probably gonna make up a lot of research in the next few years.

there's a neat symmetry emerging there in realtime land, where rays are used to fill in large scale details that screenspace techniques miss, while screenspace techniques are still useful to fill in the micro details that are missing from the simplified raytracing representation

SSR/SSAO/SS shadows will never die, just be absorbed into a bigger system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ray tracing has existed as a concept ever since computer graphics have, more or less, and it's been used in movies since the 90s, though the extent to which it was used then is debatable. It's utilized quite heavily now, though I understand they'll still take shortcuts to reduce rendering time when it won't impact the visuals. It would take a very long time to render out individual scenes back then.

edit: to add more content to this efb, here's a CGI ray-tracing demonstration from 1979.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fy2bmXfOFs