Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Ranter posted:

lol the state just blatantly giving finance capital a handout right before our eyes

thats right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ranter posted:

lol the state just blatantly giving finance capital a handout right before our eyes

gavin is governor

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
So what are the odds of Miller v. Bonta is going overturn the assault weapons ban?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

side_burned posted:

So what are the odds of Miller v. Bonta is going overturn the assault weapons ban?
At the current district court level? It's Benitez; he wrote his opinion last time; it hasn't changed from before Bruen, only the details perhaps. He'll declare it unconstitutional. Bonta will threaten to file emergency motion along with appeal within 6 hours, then Benitez's judgement will be put on hold while it goes through appeal. Then appeal judgement will come out, and it will go either En Banc and/or US Supreme Court (If state loses on appeal, it'll go En Banc; if plaintiffs lose on appeal, they may bypass En Banc and file straight for Cert in US Supreme Court).

If you're asking if it will overturn the ban after it all shakes out with the appeals, En Banc and/or Supreme Court, etc?

Hard to say, but likely unless there's some major changes at the Supreme Court level...

I think it's a game of time and Supreme Court composition, at least based on the actions of the state and 9th circuit judges. At the very least some of these cases (particularly Young v. Hawaii) shouldn't have been sent back to District court imo; they had enough facts/evidence to write a new opinion while following instructions from Bruen (But hey, I'm not a lawyer). So, it would seem that many of the 9th circuit appeals court would rather delay as much as possible. Send the cases back down to District so that the cases have to go through the whole process again; let the District courts figure it out. The state has been doing much of the same, demanding a year of discovery for doing research in each case (Benitez was having none of this in the cases he's hearing; other judges have been granting it). Then whenever it makes its way back through the appeals and in front of the Supreme Court, in another 3 to 4 years, perhaps the composition is different. Either way this is an issue that the 9th circuit would rather not finalize at this moment.

Attempting to set aside my personal feelings about Assault Weapons (as defined), I think the ban likely runs afoul of both Heller and Bruen, at least in part.
But also further in-depth discussion of this is generally outside the purview of this thread. But I hope this might answer your question some.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Yeah I think what I was asking is after the all the appeals and the case inevitably makes its way up to the SCOUTS, with its current composition, if that ban will then be stuck down and I think you summed up something for me by posting that "it's a game of time and Supreme Court composition."

side_burned fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 19, 2022

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

Earthquake in NorCal.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Juan de Fucko :argh: :tizzy:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
detailed oakland mayoral election info is out, featuring not really any surprises:

https://twitter.com/hyphy_republic/status/1605261822088556544

homeowners in the hills preferred the landlord candidate, and the tough on crime non-spoiler candidate only did well in his former district and the areas with really high crime

but in less boring news, gavbot was definitely a fucker for blocking expansion of RCV:

https://twitter.com/seandugar/status/1604213969597538304

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

pretty drat big EQ and the news said there might be a bigger one next week? science is amazing... hope all is well

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

VSOKUL girl posted:

but in less boring news, gavbot was definitely a fucker for blocking expansion of RCV
I didn't know (or remember) about that, what a fucker.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Sivart13 posted:

I didn't know (or remember) about that, what a fucker.

it was a while back, in the before times https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics/article/Gavin-Newsom-vetoes-bill-to-allow-ranked-choice-14535193.php

quote:

More than 17 years after San Francisco approved ranked-choice voting over the objections of then-Supervisor Gavin Newsom, California’s first-year governor got a chance for some payback, vetoing a bill that would have allowed more cities, counties and school districts across the state to switch to the voting system.
The bill, SB212 by state Sen. Ben Allen, D-Santa Monica, was overwhelmingly approved by both the state Senate and the Assembly. An analysis of the bill found no opposition.
That analysis missed one important opponent, however.
“Ranked choice is an experiment that has been tried in several charter cities in California,” Newsom said in his veto message Sunday. “Where it has been implemented, I am concerned that it has often led to voter confusion and that the promise that ranked-choice voting leads to greater democracy is not necessarily fulfilled.”

or, rather, "why would i strike such a blow against the machine politics that successfully landed me here and that i continue to exert influence over, pff"

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

quote:

and that the promise that ranked-choice voting leads to greater democracy is not necessarily fulfilled.”

He's right

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

VSOKUL girl posted:

it was a while back, in the before times https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics/article/Gavin-Newsom-vetoes-bill-to-allow-ranked-choice-14535193.php

or, rather, "why would i strike such a blow against the machine politics that successfully landed me here and that i continue to exert influence over, pff"

Should’ve put it on the docket on a governor’s way out.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just because slapping Gavin newsom upside the head a few times won't lead to greater democratic control doesn't mean i don't want to do that, too

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

just because slapping Gavin newsom upside the head a few times won't lead to greater democratic control doesn't mean i don't want to do that, too

This is the sort of bipartisan sentiment we can all get behind. :hai:

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob
Hey all, who do you think would be the least bad viable option for Governor after Newsom terms out in 2026?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Bodhidharma posted:

Hey all, who do you think would be the least bad viable option for Governor after Newsom terms out in 2026?

I guess it depends on how much you're weighting "least bad" versus "viable".

Eric Garcetti?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I heard an exciting young man making waves right now is this guy named "Jerry Brown"

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

Muir posted:

I guess it depends on how much you're weighting "least bad" versus "viable".

Eric Garcetti?

Yeah, thanks for wanting to get more clarification.

I'm putting more weight into the "least bad" criteria in the question, but I don't think it would be productive to bring up names of people who would have no realistic shot at getting the job. I would personally consider a "viable" candidate as anyone who has elected title giving them enough name recognition to run, or even a non-elected official with enough resources or a movement behind them. For example, the goon who ran for Governor during the recall last year and received less than half percent of the vote was never actually going to win that election.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
Ro Khanna’s been a lot better than I thought he’d be. His statewide recognition is probably low but he’s got resources.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
His Eminence Governor Wiener

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I dunno how you track viable but I'm pretty sure anyone I would be inclined to want to vote for doesn't have a chance in hell of winning.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
been hearing a lot about kevin de leon in the news.... hmmm.. maybe ??? =D

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Smythe posted:

He could actually beat the competition down!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smythe posted:

honestly he has my vote simply for the chaos energy

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Shahid Buttar.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Davis the Gray will die and return as White Davis

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Kenning posted:

Shahid Buttar.

Nah he'd have to actually campaign at the state governor level, that would be work, so not happening.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Probs Karen Bass.

What's Nury Martinez up to lately? :v:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I want Governor of California Kamala Harris. She needs an intervention. She needs to come home.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I want Governor of California Kamala Harris. She needs an intervention. She needs to come home.

she needs to come and be entombed within the mariana trench

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
https://imgur.com/2XonAqh.mp4

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

honestly he has my vote simply for the chaos energy

Sure he's down with racism and all, but the chaos!

That's pretty gross.

Not only that, you're also wrong on top of everything. De Leon was terrible when he ran against Feinstein.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DeadlyMuffin posted:

That's pretty gross.

Not only that, you're also wrong on top of everything. De Leon was terrible when he ran against Feinstein.

you're misunderstanding me. all potential candidates are scumbags i would rather not vote for, so it's funny to think about the funniest possible candidate and not actual candidates that nobody who isn't a property owner or blue shield investor will care about

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

DeadlyMuffin posted:

That's pretty gross.

They all work in support of white supremacy, OP.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Ranter posted:

They all work in support of white supremacy, OP.

Funny enough, white supremacy wasn’t the racism De Leon was down with.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Funny enough, white supremacy wasn’t the racism De Leon was down with.

You reckon?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Ranter posted:

You reckon?

I do. I’d call a group of Latino politicians saying racist poo poo about black people or other Latino groups racist, but I wouldn’t call them white supremacist.

Maybe it’s a distinction without a difference since it’s hosed up either way. :shrug:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I do. I’d call a group of Latino politicians saying racist poo poo about black people or other Latino groups racist, but I wouldn’t call them white supremacist.

Maybe it’s a distinction without a difference. :shrug:

I didn't say all of them are white supremacists, I said they all work in support of it. I also didn't say knowingly in support of. De Leon/Latinos fighting against black people is absolutely in aid of white supremacy. You dig?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Ranter posted:

I didn't say all of them are white supremacists, I said they all work in support of it. I also didn't say knowingly in support of. De Leon/Latinos fighting against black people is absolutely in aid of white supremacy. You dig?

I said white supremacy wasn’t the racism De Leon was down with. That doesn’t contradict anything you said here…