Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

I will laugh so hard if what finally sends him into prison is tax fraud, the bane of all mobsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Keisari posted:

I will laugh so hard if what finally sends him into prison is tax fraud, the bane of all mobsters.

Reminds me I’ve not watched The Untouchables for a good while.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Automata 10 Pack posted:

"nearly had" as if the danger is over, lol indeed.

the immediate danger is currently at rest. of course, we've been left with many other looming dangers of various flavors, but we're not currently asking "does america exist" and hoping that the the armed forces say "yes, our oath to the constitution actually matters"

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Keisari posted:

I don’t care if it’s jaywalking that they finally get him for, he just needs to go to prison.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Didn't the DOJ ask the committee NOT to make any referrals earlier?

If the DOJ is going to prosecute Trump, then yeah, they're going to charge him something that occurred outside of his role as president. I disagree with the "Lol they'll never prosecute a seditionist because they're rich" narrative. The nothingburgerness of the committee is that the DOJ is not going to prosecute a president for anything they did as a president, because that'll set a precedent for future presidents that will make them hesitant. One of the jobs as president IS to break the law, after all. Do they really want to create a historical moment that will cause a future wartime president to think twice about committing capitalism-saving war crimes around out of fear that they may cross a line and become the next Trump?

But throwing Trump in jail for tax evasion? Sure, then the president can continue being a bastard, they just need to pay their taxes *wink*.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 21, 2022

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Yes, because it would be tactically better if they did it now for evidential reasons. (They wanted to double check that all of the testimony matched, which is important.)

quote:

If the DOJ is going to prosecute Trump, then yeah, they're going to charge him something that occurred outside of his role as president. I disagree with the "Lol they'll never prosecute a seditionist because they're rich" narrative. The nothingburgerness of the committee is that the DOJ is not going to prosecute a president for anything they did as a president, because that'll set a precedent for future presidents that will make them hesitant. One of the jobs as president IS to break the law, after all. Do they really want to create a historical moment that will cause a future wartime president to think twice about committing capitalism-saving war crimes around out of fear that they may cross a line and become the next Trump?

But throwing Trump in jail for tax evasion? Sure, then the president can continue being a bastard, they just need to pay their taxes *wink*.

Do you know what the goal of the committee is?

Cause none of that poo poo is in Congress's remit.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Do you know what the goal of the committee is?

Cause none of that poo poo is in Congress's remit.
Is your point here that the prosecution is the DOJ's responsibility and not Congress's? So if the DOJ doesn't prosecute for sedition, that is the fault of the DOJ's and not the committee, therefor the committee is actually a somethingburger?

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 22, 2022

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Is your point here that the prosecution is the DOJ's responsibility and not Congress's? So if the DOJ doesn't prosecute for sedition, that is the fault of the DOJ's and not the committee, therefor the committee is actually a somethingburger?

My question is my question : what do you think the stated goal of the committee is?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

My question is my question : what do you think the stated goal of the committee is?

https://www.vox.com/23268754/january-6-committee-trump-liz-cheney posted:

The January 6 committee was created by Congress to investigate the circumstances around the attack on the Capitol, to recommend “changes in law, policy, procedures, rules, or regulations” to prevent future acts of violence, and “to strengthen the security and resilience of the United States and American democratic institutions.”

But what is your point?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Isn't it ok to answer questions that are not crime-related? Or do lawyers recommend fifth-ing everything no matter how unrelated?

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1605701192973094912?s=20&t=IuIFZJ9b5dRT4-WLoOxpxg

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Automata 10 Pack posted:

But what is your point?

Does anything in the post I quoted have anything to do with that?

Did you honestly expect them to do another branch of government’s job? What possible bizarre standard are you holding the committee to that it failed to accomplish?

Your criticisms are absurd.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Fully half the special counsels remit is to specifically investigate things that happened while trump was president.

So, this seems like a dumb thing to assert. Mueller was clear that the rule was that you could not indict a sitting president. Because the authority to indict someone is vested in the president and only exercised by his designated officers.

The current president can indict anyone not himself.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Dick Trauma posted:

Isn't it ok to answer questions that are not crime-related? Or do lawyers recommend fifth-ing everything no matter how unrelated?

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1605701192973094912?s=20&t=IuIFZJ9b5dRT4-WLoOxpxg

I'd love to be corrected on this, but what I've heard is "the 5th is a shield and not a sword". If you're in a car that killed someone, you can't say "I wasn't driving" and then take the fifth as to who drove. A dumb client can be tricked into saying "I've never driven that car" or "Tony picked me up and I got into the back seat" or something similar. And if folks are just going to ask you questions related to driving that car, a lawyer might say just take the 5th on everything because there's nothing helpful you can say.

Kirk giving the 5th on everything does imply he's been involved in so many crimes he can't say anything. But it implies it in a way that cannot be used in court.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

StumblyWumbly posted:

I'd love to be corrected on this, but what I've heard is "the 5th is a shield and not a sword". If you're in a car that killed someone, you can't say "I wasn't driving" and then take the fifth as to who drove. A dumb client can be tricked into saying "I've never driven that car" or "Tony picked me up and I got into the back seat" or something similar. And if folks are just going to ask you questions related to driving that car, a lawyer might say just take the 5th on everything because there's nothing helpful you can say.

Kirk giving the 5th on everything does imply he's been involved in so many crimes he can't say anything. But it implies it in a way that cannot be used in court.

That's the crux, I think. The man is a snake, and in a survival situation. He's going to use reptile logic, not accommodate his enemy.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
But he isn’t 5th:ing on where he lives, so what gives?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

BigglesSWE posted:

But he isn’t 5th:ing on where he lives, so what gives?

Yeah that's very weird. I would guess that the prosecutor just chose not to go down that rabbit hole, because the judge would have ordered him to answer the question or else take the 5th to all relevant questions. But the prosecutor would need to ask for that ruling.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
He doesn't want people at TPUSA to know he is closer to boomer age than millenial age

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Residence may already be established for the purpose of jurisdiction?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Does anything in the post I quoted have anything to do with that?

Did you honestly expect them to do another branch of government’s job? What possible bizarre standard are you holding the committee to that it failed to accomplish?

Your criticisms are absurd.
Okay cool, so I was correct about your point. You were just trying to be a weasel.

I never said that the committee could directly prosecute Trump. Every single time I talked about prosecution it was about the DOJ prosecuting Trump.

Still, the committee is a nothingburger if the DOJ won’t prosecute Trump under their recommended charges. (Which I don’t think they will.)

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 22, 2022

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Madkal posted:

He doesn't want people at TPUSA to know he is closer to boomer age than millenial age

He's actually still only 29. :psyduck:

Only four years older than the oldest Zoomer

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Okay cool, so I was correct about your point. You were just trying to be a weasel.

I never said that the committee could directly prosecute Trump. Every single time I talked about prosecution it was about the DOJ prosecuting Trump.

Still, the committee is a nothingburger if the DOJ won’t prosecute Trump under their recommended charges. (Which I don’t think they will.)

So you’re saying a committee that has succeeded at its stated goals wildly beyond expectations is a “nothingburger” because a purposely constitutionally distinct part of the government hasn’t done another thing yet.

This is how a child thinks and why I drew it out of you. What the gently caress is wrong with you.

Why are you here? What does this contribute? You’re doing nothing but shouting spurious bile in a way that’s actively harmful to actual discourse.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Its been really cool watching trumps social status wane and his grip on the overton window slip, but id like to see open mocking, shaming, deplatforming and ignoring of anybody that ever carried water for that fuckface.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Hesitant President Precedent is a top tier band name

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

So you’re saying a committee that has succeeded at its stated goals wildly beyond expectations is a “nothingburger” because a purposely constitutionally distinct part of the government hasn’t done another thing yet.

This is how a child thinks and why I drew it out of you. What the gently caress is wrong with you.

Why are you here? What does this contribute? You’re doing nothing but shouting spurious bile in a way that’s actively harmful to actual discourse.

You’re calling someone childish and doing victory laps after they’ve been probated. You aren’t doing discourse any favors by being hostile. Or, as the kids say: turn on your monitor.

To be clear, I actually agree with your point that the committee has accomplished it’s goal.

Since nobody can be assed to actually dig it up, here is the committee’s stated purpose:

https://january6th.house.gov/about posted:

(1) To investigate and report upon the facts, circumstances, and causes relating to the January 6, 2021, domestic terrorist attack upon the United States Capitol Complex (hereafter referred to as the “domestic terrorist attack on the Capitol”) and relating to the interference with the peaceful transfer of power, including facts and causes relating to the preparedness and response of the United States Capitol Police and other Federal, State, and local law enforcement agencies in the National Capital Region and other instrumentalities of government, as well as the influencing factors that fomented such an attack on American representative democracy while engaged in a constitutional process.

(2) To examine and evaluate evidence developed by relevant Federal, State, and local governmental agencies regarding the facts and circumstances surrounding the domestic terrorist attack on the Capitol and targeted violence and domestic terrorism relevant to such terrorist attack.

(3) To build upon the investigations of other entities and avoid unnecessary duplication of efforts by reviewing the investigations, findings, conclusions, and recommendations of other executive branch, congressional, or independent bipartisan or nonpartisan commission investigations into the domestic terrorist attack on the Capitol, including investigations into influencing factors related to such attack.

I do think they’ve very clearly done these things. They have certainly dug up considerable evidence, and in doing so have made it harder for Trump and those making the argument that the 2020 election was stolen to make a convincing argument.

But at the end of the day all they can do is gather and present evidence, issue a report, and make recommendations. If the expectation was that the committee would throw Trump in jail, that was never a possibility and people will be disappointed.

Watching this unfold it seems unfathomable to me that Trump should escape prosecution: the evidence against him seems incredibly damning, at least to my eyes. I’m curious how folks who were politically aware during Iran Contra or Watergate see the parallels, and if those cases seemed equally damning at the time.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

DeadlyMuffin posted:

You’re calling someone childish and doing victory laps after they’ve been probated. You aren’t doing discourse any favors by being hostile. Or, as the kids say: turn on your monitor.

To be clear, I actually agree with your point that the committee has accomplished it’s goal.

Since nobody can be assed to actually dig it up, here is the committee’s stated purpose:

I do think they’ve very clearly done these things. They have certainly dug up considerable evidence, and in doing so have made it harder for Trump and those making the argument that the 2020 election was stolen to make a convincing argument.

But at the end of the day all they can do is gather and present evidence, issue a report, and make recommendations. If the expectation was that the committee would throw Trump in jail, that was never a possibility and people will be disappointed.

Watching this unfold it seems unfathomable to me that Trump should escape prosecution: the evidence against him seems incredibly damning, at least to my eyes. I’m curious how folks who were politically aware during Iran Contra or Watergate see the parallels, and if those cases seemed equally damning at the time.

Yeah fair point, that was pretty crass of me. My bad.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1605702717871050752?s=20&t=Cj4yu0vU8Wj6rArKIJEQzw

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Question: would the person being interrogated have to be the one to verbally plead the fifth or can a lawyer do it for them? If not I’d love to see Trump try and stick to a robotic repeat answer for hours at a time without slipping into crazytown.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

BigglesSWE posted:

Question: would the person being interrogated have to be the one to verbally plead the fifth or can a lawyer do it for them? If not I’d love to see Trump try and stick to a robotic repeat answer for hours at a time without slipping into crazytown.

As I understand it, the person has to mostly assert their right under questioning. The government can compel you and act to investigate you and even put you on trial but can't force you to admit to anything. Your lawyer just can't say he is invoking the 5th so you can't do anything.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

BigglesSWE posted:

Trump is a master at pleading the 5th. There was a deposition earlier this year for, I think the NY AG stuff, and he plead the 5th something like 400 times.

There’s video out there of him pleading the fifth over and over again.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme
Committee report is out.
Long night for a lot of journalists ahead.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

First out: Trump should be barred from ever holding public office

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Timmy Age 6 posted:

Committee report is out.
Long night for a lot of journalists ahead.

Oh wow, they were really working overtime to get this out by the 0nd of December

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Going through WaPo's live updates now and this one jumped out at me
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/12/22/jan-6-committee-report-transcripts-live-updates/

Attorney takes DOJ job for a month to try and pad out his LinkedIn page

quote:

Attorney Kenneth Klukowski took a job with the Department of Justice in late 2020 even though he knew he would only have it for a month.

He started on Dec. 15, 2020, in a position that would expire when President Trump’s term ended on Jan. 20, 2021. He thought the job would help him land other jobs later, according to a footnote in the report.

He figured he would be able to write on his résumé that he worked at DOJ in 2020 and 2021, allowing him to land job interviews before his would-be employer “would find out how few of days in each of those calendar years we were actually talking about,” he told the committee.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Do you believe that the significance of the potential future Hunter Biden laptop committee will depend on the committee's written goals? Let's assume they will write a very fancy statement that amounts to "We want to slander Biden by going after his son." Do you think it's wrong for people to call it a "nothingburger" if they achieve those goals?

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 23, 2022

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Do you believe that the significance of the potential future Hunter Biden laptop committee will depend on the committee's written goals? Let's assume they will write a very fancy statement that amounts to "We want to slander Biden by going after his son." Do you think it's wrong for people to call it a "nothingburger" if they achieve those goals?
I'll sure enjoy laughing at the idiots who claim that the laptop commission failed to accomplish anything because it didn't result in the immediate execution of the Democrats childtrafficking lizardpeople adrenochrome addicts in the secret tunnel chambers beneath the Supreme Court and the instantaneous restoration of the rightful Trump presidency.

One interesting takeaway from the report is something that's within congress' hands: to the extent the judiciary disagrees, ensure laws are passed criminalizing the behavior and intent of the Jan 6 crew:
https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1606367237128044544?t=QzYNW15UbbxNY42kMuFZoQ&s=19

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Paracaidas posted:

I'll sure enjoy laughing at the idiots who claim that the laptop commission failed to accomplish anything because it didn't result in the immediate execution of the Democrats childtrafficking lizardpeople adrenochrome addicts in the secret tunnel chambers beneath the Supreme Court and the instantaneous restoration of the rightful Trump presidency.
Okay, why?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Automata 10 Pack posted:

What are you even arguing for now besides generalized pessimism?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

My question is my question:

quote:

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 23, 2022

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Xiahou Dun posted:

He's gotten probed multiple times for trolling this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The orangest and puffiest of all Presidents.

https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1606392702656028683?s=20&t=Urb1h5MCcqIN_eZI_PAbbA