Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

That Greater Goods scale seems pretty nice for the money. I have a Timemore scale for pour over that I like, but it's about double that price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market
Does anyone have a recommendation for a high quality electric coffee grinder that supports grinding one cup of coffee? Every single one I see for sale on amazon can only grind a minimum of 2 cups.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

School of How posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a high quality electric coffee grinder that supports grinding one cup of coffee? Every single one I see for sale on amazon can only grind a minimum of 2 cups.

Yep this should do the trick: https://www.nichecoffee.co.uk/

Do you mean 1 cup like a measuring cup full of beans? I assumed you meant enough coffee for 1 cup of pourover. High quality in this thread means you're spending over 3-500USD on a grinder so I'm not sure if you meant "good enough and not more than $x" but if you want to give a price range that you are comfortable with you might get more useful recommendations.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 20, 2022

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I have the Brewista scale and I am happy with it after 6 months making espresso with it. I like the mode where you put the cup on and it tares and then when you start the shot it starts the timer when the first drips hit.

It’s not a massive difference than my old $9 scale and $2 timer but since then I have added a pressure gauge and dimmer switch to the machine so I am monitoring the time, pressure, weight, temperature and the mirror on the basket so it’s a lot to track, especially for that first cup in the morning. Automating some of that is worth $80 to me I guess.

In other news I have settled on a tamper I like so if anybody might be interested in one or a variety of 58mm tampers let me know, I can post pics of them and I would love to pass them on for the price of a flat rate USPS box or whatever they will fit in. I have one springy one that fits the Gaggia baskets well and has a nice weight but I decided I prefer a solid one, and I have another solid one that was always a little loose in my baskets but may fit others better? There may be more I’m forgetting.

I also switched back from ‘normal’ 30sec 18:40g shots to the ‘turbo’ shots I was doing, 18:50ish at 15-20sec. I get way more consistent extractions and way less sourness. They are also much easier to dial in which is nice since I have different beans every week.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

School of How posted:

weigh out your beans for each brew before you put them in the grinder's hopper, don't store them all in there

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if this is a horrible question but I'm asking after googling has led me to way too many auto-aggregated listicles. Is there such a thing as a decent home espresso machine that also does single cup automatic drip coffee? Preferably below the $1500 range.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

School of How posted:

I didn't watch, but I trust this guy and the guide just came out today so it's sure to have recent models.
https://youtu.be/ExHp6La5vRQ

And yeah, this - any grinder can be single dose if they have low retention and you "measure in".

Clark Nova posted:

weigh out your beans for each brew before you put them in the grinder's hopper, don't store them all in there

Some grinders can become low retention if you add a bellows to blow out the grinds stuck in the chute - I bought this but warning it only fits grinders with a small opening somewhere, like ones with conical hoppers. Use only the clear component: https://a.co/d/ikHj0Rz

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

MJP posted:

I don't know if this is a horrible question but I'm asking after googling has led me to way too many auto-aggregated listicles. Is there such a thing as a decent home espresso machine that also does single cup automatic drip coffee? Preferably below the $1500 range.

You're probably looking for something like a Phillips superautomatic. The thread typically recommends Phillips because of repairability and parts availability.

There were actually a tech who has posted here in the past. If you search for Phillips in this thread a bunch of posts should pop up.

George Wright
Nov 20, 2005
https://youtu.be/JU5Jg_aJUjA

Have any Niche Zero goons ordered any flat burrs, yet?

Curious if there are any available that would be worth the upgrade.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

MJP posted:

Super auto /super automatic is the correct term.

Here is a good video on them.

https://youtu.be/iZEM1cC86t8

You’re going to have a hard time finding something decent under $1500 in the super auto range.

In reference to the tech, Biswark is likely who the poster above is talking about.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Kaffelogic shipping information received :heysexy:

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Biswark checking in.

MJP posted:

Picture how a shot of espresso is made, and then picture how filter coffee is made. There is no machine that can do both of those things using a single brewing contraption, though there are monstrosities like this (which I wouldn't recommend). Any super-auto espresso machine that advertises that it also makes drip coffee is simply doing a very slow espresso extraction and it will probably taste something like an over-extracted Americano ie. not good. $1500 will get you a quality super-auto and a high-end drip pot though if you have room for two machines.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

You’re going to have a hard time finding something decent under $1500 in the super auto range.
This isn't really the case, not in the US anyways. Entry level models from the good brands usually start around $700-800, and within any given brand all of their machines will generally produce the exact same shot. Spending more money just gets you more bells and whistles like one-touch lattes or a pretty color LCD; all the internal components that do the actual grinding/brewing/water heating will be identical. In the US I usually recommend people stick with Saeco/Phillips or Delonghi, as they both have excellent repair networks and spare parts are relatively easy to come by. Jura/Miele/etc aren't necessarily bad machines but good luck getting service for them when they break down (not if, when). Gaggia is an odd duck as they're basically just Saecos in different shells (exact same parts, etc.) but have much worse warranty/after-sale support as the brand doesn't have much of a presence in the US (aside from the well-known Classic). Whatever you buy, make sure there's someone relatively nearby that can service it when the time comes as shipping these things across the country is fairly expensive, not to mention risky.

bizwank fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 21, 2022

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the comprehensive and honest responses. It was mostly a would-be-nice; we have a basic little Hamilton Beach one-cup that lets us use any coffee we want, and my wife is not as coffee snob as me so I didn't want to remove it unless there was something equally simple that also did real-rear end espresso.

I'll pursue a standard decent espresso machine for my snobbery and leave the one-cup alone.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Related, random single serve brewers that are almost "impulse buy" because they're so cheap and take up very little room, yet can be entertaining to learn and have a huge potential for quality:

Aeropress
Plastic V60
French press
Hell, even a moka pot to some extent

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
I have an aeropress with the fellow prizmo attachment and a glass size 3 hario switch. Between these two relatively cheap, small footprint devices I can make reasonably good espresso style beverages, single cup immersion coffee, pour over, etc, along with a 2 and a half cup style carafe with the switch doing a pour over/immersion hybrid recipe.

So those two devices really cover all my bases and yet I still stare at moka pots, kalita waves, or drip machines pondering which device to add next.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Big Taint posted:

In other news I have settled on a tamper I like so if anybody might be interested in one or a variety of 58mm tampers let me know, I can post pics of them and I would love to pass them on for the price of a flat rate USPS box or whatever they will fit in. I have one springy one that fits the Gaggia baskets well and has a nice weight but I decided I prefer a solid one, and I have another solid one that was always a little loose in my baskets but may fit others better? There may be more I’m forgetting.

pmed!

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Deathlove posted:

I also have a CJ4000 and it's great and also has a beep that could wake god and the devil too

I have very frequently considered opening it and finding which wire to cut to stop this. It's the only downside with the cj4000 for my use.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Thanks for the detailed shopping recommendations everyone!

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

adebisi lives posted:

I have an aeropress with the fellow prizmo attachment and a glass size 3 hario switch. Between these two relatively cheap, small footprint devices I can make reasonably good espresso style beverages, single cup immersion coffee, pour over, etc, along with a 2 and a half cup style carafe with the switch doing a pour over/immersion hybrid recipe.

So those two devices really cover all my bases and yet I still stare at moka pots, kalita waves, or drip machines pondering which device to add next.

Totally same. I have a Kalita and an Origami dripper too, but who am I kidding, I can't tell the difference between those and the Switch (or any other variety of "standard pour over" for that matter).

Aeropress and Prismo isn't espresso, but it isn't normal Aeropress either. Just a really cool, unique beverage and a decent espresso substitute in milk drinks. And I do love a Moka Pot for strong, simple coffee first thing in the morning.

Honestly the biggest quality of life coffee thing I've gotten recently was a cheap knockoff of Hoffman's Tens Hundreds Thousands dosing cups. Search "tea scoop" on Amazon.

amenenema fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 22, 2022

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

amenenema posted:

Honestly the biggest quality of life coffee thing I've gotten recently was a cheap knockoff of Hoffman's Tens Hundreds Thousands dosing cups. Search "tea scoop" on Amazon.

Can you share which specific one you bought?

Edit: \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

gret posted:

I just bought James' dosing tray for $20.50 total shipped to the US, so I'm not sure if you're saving much money if at all by buying a knockoff on Amazon. Actually doing a quick glance at "tea scoop" on Amazon, and the one that looks closest to James' dosing tray also costs $20.50 (even more once you add tax).

I saw the same thing on Amazon. I'll probably just order the one from Tens Hundreds Thousands.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Dec 22, 2022

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

amenenema posted:

I just bought James' dosing tray for $20.50 total shipped to the US, so I'm not sure if you're saving much money if at all by buying a knockoff on Amazon. Actually doing a quick glance at "tea scoop" on Amazon, and the one that looks closest to James' dosing tray also costs $20.50 (even more once you add tax).

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

you can also find serving cups like that for 1/3rd of the price off of some teashops

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've been learning basics on a Mr. Coffee espresso maker I got for $40. I'd like to have a shot at something a little better quality. My wife works at Bed Bath and Beyond and gets 25% off everything, no exclusions - are there any espresso makers worth consideration that they sell? The Bambino Plus came up a few times as a decent consumer machine, but they also have the Infuser, which has a PID.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

MJP posted:

I've been learning basics on a Mr. Coffee espresso maker I got for $40. I'd like to have a shot at something a little better quality. My wife works at Bed Bath and Beyond and gets 25% off everything, no exclusions - are there any espresso makers worth consideration that they sell? The Bambino Plus came up a few times as a decent consumer machine, but they also have the Infuser, which has a PID.

I have the infuser and I do really like it.

However, the grinder is significantly more important that the machine.

It’s also not a super auto if that’s what you’re looking for. I don’t know much about super autos but I have seen people compliment the Breville oracle. Someone else would have to comment if it’s any good, but the Breville impress is pretty dang close to an auto.

If you’re fine without an auto, a Breville infuser + a niche grinder, or a df64 or similar class grinder (not on BB&B, but they don’t seem to have any good espresso grinders) will land you with an excellent setup under your budget.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

i’m getting to the point where i’ve mostly dialled in my 1z JX handgrinder, and drat, this thing can easily compete with electric grinders at twice the price. much quieter and takes less space, too

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

MJP posted:

The Delonghi EC680/685 is a great starter machine, usually retails for around $350 in the US. You'll be able to easily find parts and service for it, unlike the Breville models.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I don’t know much about super autos but I have seen people compliment the Breville oracle. Someone else would have to comment if it’s any good, but the Breville impress is pretty dang close to an auto.
A super-automatic machine is one that takes in whole beans and gives you espresso with the push of a single button, via a mechanism that transports the grounds from the grinder to the brew head/contraption. The Oracle and Impress are just semi-autos with attached grinders.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, I have a Mignon Specialita on order, assuming best-of-Italy.com is legit. I'll have a look into the EC680/685 and give thought to the Infuser, but I do like the idea of something that's actually serviceable.

Edit: dumb roasting q, but if my beans are a little lighter than I wanted them to be, and it's been a few hours since I roasted, can I roast them a little more or is that a bad idea?

MJP fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 23, 2022

Wanderless
Apr 30, 2009

MJP posted:

Edit: dumb roasting q, but if my beans are a little lighter than I wanted them to be, and it's been a few hours since I roasted, can I roast them a little more or is that a bad idea?

In my experience, no, unless it was really light, then... maybe but probably only worth trying if they're undrinkable. If they've gotten even close to first crack you can't re-roast and improve things--it just tastes baked in the way it tastes if you didn't get the temperature high enough and spent 30 minutes trying to get it to first crack (unfortunately easy to do if you're using a Fresh Roast air roaster and the glass isn't seated properly).

-- Unrelated question:

I am seeking equipment recommendations. I'd like to get a bottomless portafilter for my Lelit Mara X (standard E61 grouphead). My partner wants to get me a nice one for Christmas, but I don't have one picked out. I'd like to avoid stretching their budget, so sub-$100 would be great.

Looking around, the bottomless portafilters I see mostly have a super-awkward looking handle attachment that looks like someone very lazy took a standard one and hacked off the bottom at an angle, and that really bothers me for some reason. Not too surprisingly, few of the pictures I can find online seem to show them directly side-on. I'd love to be able to tamp like with my spouted portafilter, which has the lovely angled handle that keeps it level when sitting on the counter. My counter's edge profile doesn't lend itself to those tamping mats that hang over, either. I *could* make a stand, but would really rather not if something exists that works on its own in the first place.

Lelit makes a few of their own bottomless ones, which would definitely fit, but it sounds like the Mara X can take most E61 portafilters anyhow. Any recommendations for quality ones that meet my finicky tastes?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Installed the Shades PID kit in my Gaggia today. I managed to forget the washer on the temperature probe, but it seems to work okay. I had a very insistent helper who was constantly in the way.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

George Wright posted:

https://youtu.be/JU5Jg_aJUjA

Have any Niche Zero goons ordered any flat burrs, yet?

Curious if there are any available that would be worth the upgrade.

I hadn’t heard about this before but I’m curious what his long term testing shows. I’m wondering how retention is affected since the sweeper is removed.

No way I’d wait 3 minutes for an espresso grind on the 58mm burrs though. 54 seems like it could be decent.

Edit: everything seems geared toward improving the Niche for filter coffee, which I don’t use it for. Probably wouldn’t bother picking it up for espresso.

nwin fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Dec 25, 2022

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

gret posted:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B076TZFT4B?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
For an extra $5 (plus shipping, too) I'll happily not buy a dosing tray from Amazon and will happily buy a dosing tray from James and Co. In fact, I bought 3 now because I dropped on and it shattered after about a week. Same week I also dropped and broke a plastic v60. I need a softer place to live.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Somebody got me a JoGo for Christmas. Anybody here have one? I figure I'll try it out tomorrow, since I already had my morning coffee.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Drinking hot coffee through a straw sounds like a disaster waiting to happen

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Dare you besmirch the bripe??

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Qylvaran posted:

Somebody got me a JoGo for Christmas. Anybody here have one? I figure I'll try it out tomorrow, since I already had my morning coffee.

I think the main concern when it came up a few years ago was to not stir the grounds after it's done steeping, and don't take forever to drink it or it's likely to over extract. Honestly, I wish I had one for camping, it's much smaller than hauling other coffee making tools like a french press or pour over.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

If anyone was curious about that AliExpress scale I linked a while ago, I can confirm it fits the robot. Notneutral cortado glass on top just barely fits without tilting for reference.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_msqxKcW

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Google Butt posted:

If anyone was curious about that AliExpress scale I linked a while ago, I can confirm it fits the robot. Notneutral cortado glass on top just barely fits without tilting for reference.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_msqxKcW

Does it have any of the fancy features, like starting the timer when it senses some weight on the scale?

I was thinking about buying the Wacaco, but I haven't bit the bullet yet.

Are you in the US? How long was the wait for delivery?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

MetaJew posted:

Does it have any of the fancy features, like starting the timer when it senses some weight on the scale?

I was thinking about buying the Wacaco, but I haven't bit the bullet yet.

Are you in the US? How long was the wait for delivery?

Yes it does have that feature, although I haven't used it when brewing yet, I've been using the manual mode for pourover. I'll give it a shot when I pull with my robot for the first time tomorrow.

I'm in the US, ordered on Nov 24th and delivered on the 7th. I did have another order placed around the same time that's held up, I'm guessing because of COVID.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Thank you for the recommendations and help. I'm waiting on a DE1 to complete the setup next month.