Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Vampire Panties posted:

Its also really important to remember that Holmes and Madoff stole money from rich people. SFB stole from idiots coiners.

There are some rich coiners and institutional investors too SBF is hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

LionYeti posted:

There are some rich coiners and institutional investors too SBF is hosed

Yeah there was Venture Capitalism money involved.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Dabir posted:

If you spent years of your life working around the clock to precision-design a video game to maximise toxicity and turn players into raging psychopaths, you would come out the other side with something maybe half as effective as League of Legends

Jokes on them, though. Twitter beat them to it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ashpanash posted:

Jokes on them, though. Twitter beat them to it.

Feel like twitter users and League of Legends players would both generally really hate any direct comparisons between the two.

So yeah, people should probably directly compare the groups more often I guess.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

ellie the beep posted:

yeah i dont remember which article had it but it was revealed that sbf is staying in his own room in the medical area in the prison
This makes more sense. I forgot about that part. My friend's dad's friend got busted abroad for something dumb and paid a doctor to help make up a bunch of fake heart attack documents that allowed him to spend nearly all of his sentence in an apartment with his wife under physician "care." Everyone got paid, and the guy only had to spend a month or two actually behind bars.

However, SBF is such a drat stupid fool. He knew the poo poo was hitting the fan and he didn't do anything to protect himself, prepare in advance, or make any of this easier on him (as far as fleeing/escaping and going on the lam). He could have El Chapo'd himself to safety, but instead he was doing the podcast and streamer tour to up the ante on his self-incrimination. He honestly thought nothing was going to happen to him. I bet all the lawyering and actions he performed to mildly look like he was gearing up for a bout with the law were all on behest of his father. He probably wouldn't have even done that bare minimum without his dad already working for the company.

gently caress this dude. I can't wait to see him squirm in court while he's crying, jonesing, and pretending to be sorry.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
he was literally in an interview hours before being arrested where the interviewer asked him if he'd thought about being arrested and he said he hadn't

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Boxturret posted:

he was literally in an interview hours before being arrested where the interviewer asked him if he'd thought about being arrested and he said he hadn't

Wasn't the interviewer Molly White of Web3 is Going Just Great fame?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Boxturret posted:

"It's ok that I committed fraud and stole people's money, everything always works out fine for everybody else because everything has always worked out well for me. It'll be fine."

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

Boxturret posted:

this kind of community just loves to use the term "deep dive" and no, sbf had not done a "deep dive" into whether or not he'd be arrested

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
"Why would I get arrested? that sounds like FUD to me"

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

smackfu posted:

I like when he just spends ten paragraphs explaining a concept in generic terms and then says all the ways SBF or Musk did it wrong.

He does such a great job of explaining how dumb market poo poo is supposed to work in theory and then does in practice in normal person language that I want to collect and edit these blog posts into a financial literacy textbook

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

super weird they called it alameda when they're across the bay

it's where they keep the nuclear wessels

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Wasn't the interviewer Molly White of Web3 is Going Just Great fame?

Yep.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Boxturret posted:

Hours? Minutes. The authorities turned up while he was giving the interview and waited for him to finish.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Dabir posted:

Hours? Minutes. The authorities turned up while he was giving the interview and waited for him to finish.

This is how you know you committed rich people crimes.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Dabir posted:

authorities: "We know you have a little more incriminating information to say, go ahead. We'll wait"

SBF, Nixon expression: I am not a crook!

Bitcoin: I am not a crook!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

notwithoutmyanus posted:

authorities: "We know you have a little more incriminating information to say, go ahead. We'll wait"

SBF, Nixon expression: I am not a crook!

Bitcoin: I am not a crook!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
SBF: "well....I have done crooklike things but I don't believe I am a crook. I will have to look into that"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Alan Smithee posted:

SBF: "well....I have done crooklike things but I don't believe I am a crook. I will have to look into that"

Arresting officer: "Sure, tells us more about that, we've got time."

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

"Did you have any more interviews scheduled for today? We can come back later."

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

When your interviewer is going through a checklist of the elements of fraud, you absolutely wait for it to finish.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is how you know you committed rich people crimes.

the cops let poor people finish their rambling, recorded confessions too!

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Dabir posted:

evilweasel posted:

the cops let poor people finish their rambling, recorded confessions too!
lol, yeah. Busting in in the middle of the interview would turn his entire arrest into a viral meme video and look bad on the people doing the arrest, and at the same time SBF was continuing to incriminate himself, so it would be silly to interrupt something that would save the prosecutors time and effort later on.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
uh i'm pretty sure he was arrested some hours after the interview concluded

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

PITY BONER posted:

lol, yeah. Busting in in the middle of the interview would turn his entire arrest into a viral meme video and look bad on the people doing the arrest, and at the same time SBF was continuing to incriminate himself, so it would be silly to interrupt something that would save the prosecutors time and effort later on.

Man I would have loved to see that video though.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

:drat:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The most annoying thing to me about the Bankman-Fired guy** is how he's asked a straight question like "why did Alameda have unrestricted access to FTX investors' money" and his answer is always "what I think happened is..". No you rear end in a top hat you were there, you did it. How can he get away with that in interviews?

** I'm sure if you have him all your savings there are more pressing annoyances

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Writing a book about how I didn't steal your money but if I did it was because I let my girlfriend's company trade on a public policy of limited leverage while in reality she had unlimited leverage.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Oh no, now I'm being told this is evidence that I stole everyone's money so the people I stole money from own my book and have included an editorial saying I stole their money.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

This is a legal confession. I did it. I was responsible for this. I'm saying this knowing you'll play it back in court. Look at my attorney. Look at how mad he is. But it's true, I, Sam Bankman-Fried, committed wire fraud on a massive scale.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Ups_rail posted:

Has anyone told shmorky about NFT's yet?

https://twitter.com/ShmorkyNFT/status/1604588041535979520?s=20&t=y9DIMicGIFlKo3d5l2R2mQ

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I mean, you know, the classic advice right? Don't say anything…recede into a hole. And, it’s not who Sam is. It’s not who he wants to be…He thinks he has a duty to talk to people, to explain what happened and he thinks he has a duty to do everything he can to try and do what's right. If there is anything he can do to try and help customers out here. And I don't see what good is accomplished by his just sitting locked in a room

He is a wunderkind. Can’t you people understand this?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

how much does yarn cost

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

how much does yarn cost

There are cheaper ways to make a noose, which is the only tool that can keep your brain from processing this poo poo.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

It's the bare walls that make this real.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
https://twitter.com/AaronKatersky/status/1605743085236920323?s=20&t=sYFdxWvoMxZdownI5ovc6A

lol, lmao. a rofl, even.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

loving LOL

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
drat that dude is boned, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Who could have seen this coming? :rolleyes: