Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Rudoku posted:

It was retconned to being a simple rear end-whupping because toddler Goku was a little poo poo.

You drop someone on their head in a fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it has been retconned from Goku falling and hitting his head on a rock to Gohan picking his little rear end up and whipping him at a rock headfirst

PunishedEnzoMatrix
Jul 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
Gohan whipping the poo poo out of toddler Goku rules. It's less "oops, we sent this baby here to conquer and a happy accident hosed that up" but I'm okay with it if it gives a bit more to Gohan and says a bit more about people underestimating earth the way both Nappa/Vegeta and Freeza/Cold do

Like, the problem with Minus/Broly has always been "actually Goku's dad was a nice guy unlike the other Saiyans", not anything that happens after

PunishedEnzoMatrix fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 21, 2022

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Grandpa Gohan: Secret Hero Of The Universe

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Still kinda amused at the idea that someone would be so incensed by DBZ Minus that they wouldn't even start Broly. That's pretty incredible.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I like to think the drop on the head didn't make him not-evil but just made him, y'know a bit off

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Didn't the head drop just erase Goku's memory, cause he was like 5 or 6 years old when Bardock shipped him.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair Broly doesn’t get much better after the Minus part.

It’s Broly you know what your getting and it’s pretty mediocre

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
how do you so consistently have the worst takes?

PunishedEnzoMatrix
Jul 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

CharlestheHammer posted:

It rules, actually

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

there was a run-on sentence in The Godfather so i turned that poo poo off right away

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Most of The Godfather is filler anyway

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

CharlestheHammer posted:

The ravings of the dumbest person on gods green earth

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

if i were dr gero then i would have simply sent a robot back in time to kill baby goku

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

if i were dr gero then i would have simply sent a robot back in time to kill baby goku

Bulma does this

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Clearly which version of Bardock it is results in different timelines, the old special version leads to the timeline where all the DBZ filler episodes, movies, and GT happen, while the modern Minus version results in Kai and Super happening

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

CharlestheHammer posted:

Stupid. Just the dumbest.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

New chapter kicks rear end

Is GT canon or no? Trunks being bad at computers doesn't quite seem to track with him being future CC president but I guess he's still young.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgPT081hwrg

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

CharlestheHammer posted:

If anything, the reason why Broly was so drat good was because it didn't give me what I was expecting. It instead took the name of the character (and his dad) and made him actually good, which was an impressive thing considering how bad non-canon Broly is. Even got me to buy two figures of the guy and I still hope he'll graduate to main cast member someday.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Not exactly baby Goku, but there's a What-If in one of the Budokai Tenkaichi games where 16 is sent to the Dragon Ball era to kill Goku and 8 has to protect him.

drrockso20 posted:

Clearly which version of Bardock it is results in different timelines, the old special version leads to the timeline where all the DBZ filler episodes, movies, and GT happen, while the modern Minus version results in Kai and Super happening

That wouldn't make much sense seeing how Kai literally starts with a recap of the Bardock special.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Kai also has Ginyu Bulma, doesn't mean that any of that bullshit actually happened.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Funky Valentine posted:

Kai also has Ginyu Bulma, doesn't mean that any of that bullshit actually happened.

Good news! The manga didn't happen either. We're free to like things, in the marketplace of ideas.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

People were talking about which things were canon not whether they were good or if you shouldn't like them

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Doc Fission posted:

New chapter kicks rear end

Is GT canon or no? Trunks being bad at computers doesn't quite seem to track with him being future CC president but I guess he's still young.

GT isn’t and has never been canon

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
that said, the president of Capsule Corp being technologically incompetent but financially successful regardless would be unusually realistic for Dragon Ball

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

PunishedEnzoMatrix posted:

Like, the problem with Minus/Broly has always been "actually Goku's dad was a nice guy unlike the other Saiyans", not anything that happens after

Except we see multiple Saiyans in Minus/Broly who have personalities that aren't entirely "I like to drink the blood of my enemies" in their off time. Bardock's only thing was that he was slightly more into his wife than the average Saiyan, as in he actually started a family unit with her. We literally see King Vegeta wanting his son to be the best, we see him willing to throw away the most powerful kid ever just to not show up his son, and then we see Paragus decide "Welp, gently caress this entire empire, gonna go get my son back and live with him and teach him to be a true warrior because I care more about my son than I do the glorious Saiyan race".

Yeah, Paragus is a terrible father, but he's another example of putting family above empire. Bardock isn't an outlier for that.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
the alleged pillars of a culture / cultural ideology failing to live up to the standards they themselves are supposed to be exemplary of, also surprisingly realistic; Vegeta, for most of his life, idolized a Saiyan Pride that may never have truly existed even amongst those that taught it to him

a lot of deep cut commentary about the real world in recent Dragon Ball works, definitely something to think about

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Saiyan race's only Wife Guy, Bardock.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like that Vegeta as we know him is super big on Saiyan pride but his reaction as a child to learning his family is dead and his planet destroyed is just "drat it, now I'll never be king!"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a video game where he does that with Android 16.

Doc Fission posted:

GT is 100% non-canon now unless Pilaf and Co. conveniently manage to wish themselves to their proper ages, Goku and Vegeta lose all knowledge of the last several years, Gohan and Piccolo lose their new forms, Frieza dies and also loses his new forms, etc. all before the five(?) year time-skip after End of Z.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 22, 2022

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Post is not edit. :argh:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I always liked Minus and never much cared for the Bardock TV special. But then, I didn’t see it until I was an adult, so I never had the nostalgia going for it.

TV Bardock has the cooler design tho, for sure.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it doesn't matter if goku's dad was a nice guy or a bad guy at all any more than it matters who jor-el was

dead parents, exploded home planet, raised by someone else who taught him right and wrong

those are the things that matter in goku and superman's origins

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Great chapter. Now I wonder if Toyo will make it that the Gammas were inspired by Trunks and Goten data.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

it doesn't matter if goku's dad was a nice guy or a bad guy at all any more than it matters who jor-el was

dead parents, exploded home planet, raised by someone else who taught him right and wrong

those are the things that matter in goku and superman's origins

Mostly this, but I will go one step farther and say that aside from the (does he even count as this anymore?) detail of Bardock being nothing special, I actively do not want to know anything about him. Or Jor-El for that matter.

It feels like it didn't diminishes Goku and Superman's origins to know things about them, you know?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It is perhaps not entirely fair to Bardock but if he was the exact same character except not Goku’s dad I’d probably like him a lot more.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I agree that association to Goku taints most characters.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Do not put words in my mouth, Goku is sweet!

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

or don't?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Do not put words in my mouth, Goku is sweet!

like a big mouthful of antifreeze

Anti-Freeza, if you will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

People were talking about which things were canon not whether they were good or if you shouldn't like them

Toriyama selectively forgets things so why can’t I