Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Batterypowered7 posted:

It does, just not at a discount.

You don't play those cards to pay full price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Toshimo posted:

You don't play those cards to pay full price.

Your statement was factually incorrect, is all.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Your statement was factually incorrect, is all.

In "good" decks it's only worth playing a card like that because you can cheat it. So like Animar, sure it makes sense. There's so many strong free counterspells that relying on ricochet trap is dicey.

Having 4 mana left to cast that, it could be good in monored because nobody expects it, I run Imp's Mischief in decks with no blue sometimes because people don't expect it (or know it exists).

It's also target spell with a single target only, and a lot of spells now have multiple targets, and not abilities. It's really just kind of outclassed by so many things, unless you're in some meta where you basically know you are playing it for 1 mana, and other things aren't available.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

pseudanonymous posted:

In "good" decks it's only worth playing a card like that because you can cheat it. So like Animar, sure it makes sense. There's so many strong free counterspells that relying on ricochet trap is dicey.

Having 4 mana left to cast that, it could be good in monored because nobody expects it, I run Imp's Mischief in decks with no blue sometimes because people don't expect it (or know it exists).

It's also target spell with a single target only, and a lot of spells now have multiple targets, and not abilities. It's really just kind of outclassed by so many things, unless you're in some meta where you basically know you are playing it for 1 mana, and other things aren't available.

That last bit doesn't seem to be too much of a detriment, since Bolt Bend also affects things with only a single target, though it obviously has more utility since it can target abilities as well. At least in the games I've seen it cast, it was always just used to redirect a counterspell to itself, so I thought that if that's what it's mostly used for, that Ricochet Trap should be comparable.

Honestly, my first reply to Toshimo was because I misremember cards all the time and I thought they had misremembered the card and thought it only affected Blue spells (similar to how Guttural Response only counters Blue Instants).

Serf
May 5, 2011

I've had a lot of fun casting Fork against counterspells. It is less useful against removal spells, but I'll usually drop it anyways and blow up either the caster's best creature or something else on the board that is threatening.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Batterypowered7 posted:

That last bit doesn't seem to be too much of a detriment, since Bolt Bend also affects things with only a single target, though it obviously has more utility since it can target abilities as well. At least in the games I've seen it cast, it was always just used to redirect a counterspell to itself, so I thought that if that's what it's mostly used for, that Ricochet Trap should be comparable.

Honestly, my first reply to Toshimo was because I misremember cards all the time and I thought they had misremembered the card and thought it only affected Blue spells (similar to how Guttural Response only counters Blue Instants).

It's hard because different people just play EDH very differently. In cEDH, bolt bend and ricochet trap are borderline garbage with maybe potential very niche use.

I only outline it's limitations because deflecting swat is all targets of target spell or ability for free if you control your commander. The difference in power level is striking. But again, at your table it may be a more effective card.

Generally the following cards do the same sort of thing but generally better, for various reasons:
Deflecting Swat
Force of Negation
Force of Will
Pact of Negation
Silence
Autumns Veil
Heroic Intervention
Dispel
Flusterstorm
Miscast
Swan Song
An offer you can't refuse
Red Elemental Blast
Pyroblast

Situationally you might find that bolt bend or ricochet trap work better in your meta or whatever, but as a general rule you want that important interaction spot to be able to do certain kind of things and be cheap.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

pseudanonymous posted:

It's hard because different people just play EDH very differently. In cEDH, bolt bend and ricochet trap are borderline garbage with maybe potential very niche use.

Ricochet Trap definitely sees some cEDH play in monored as a counter-counterspell. It's narrow, but you're rarely mad to see it.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Dizz posted:

a sliver deck that contains no slivers sounds awesome.

I proudly present Never Stop Shufflin', a sliver deck with only 3 slivers, and none of them make anything better. Every card is either a tutor or a basic land, except for lotleth troll and soldier of fortune.

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/never-stop-shuffling/

I made it to antagonize one of my friends who hates tutors. It was successful.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
aren't unset cards not allowed?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Dizz posted:

The latest un set has black bordered cards. You're good to play those as long as they don't have an acorn-shaped holo stamp.

E:

But you're right about poo poo from other un sets.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Dizz posted:

If I'm making a deck to troll my friends I'm not going to follow anything dumb like rules to do so.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

for some reason i was intending on trading away my triome cards but i belive slivers will want them anyways.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The 5 MOST OVERRATED cEDH decks (BUT NOT CLICKBAIT)

Lmao, the shade around the 4:20 mark.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

She's right, just play Najeela

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Yeah, but Kenrith's deck is called KFC, which makes me smile on the inside.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
lol the T&T shade

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Does Cascade only work with ETB or can something like Ephemerate also trigger it?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Cascade isn't ETB at all. It's on cast. So, no, Ephemerate won't trigger it.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Also Ephemerate causes a creature to enter the battlefield so yes, it would trigger ETB effects.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

702.85. Cascade

702.85a Cascade is a triggered ability that functions only while the spell with cascade is on the stack. “Cascade” means “When you cast this spell, exile cards from the top of your library until you exile a nonland card whose mana value is less than this spell’s mana value. You may cast that card without paying its mana cost if the resulting spell’s mana value is less than this spell’s mana value. Then put all cards exiled this way that weren’t cast on the bottom of your library in a random order.”

Notably since the stack resolves from top to bottom the cascaded spell is cast and resolves before the card with Cascade enters the battlefield.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

If I do the Food Chain combo on First Sliver, how would it be infinite mana? doesn't the commander get taxed on each kill?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Most Food Chain decks don't get infinite mana by casting and recasting the commander, they get it from repeatedly casting and exiling a creature that's castable directly from exile (Squee, Misthollow Griffon, Eternal Scourge).

First Sliver is the outlet, after you have infinite mana, you cast FS over and over until you've cast your deck.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Dizz posted:

If I do the Food Chain combo on First Sliver, how would it be infinite mana? doesn't the commander get taxed on each kill?

Find a way to reduce the cost by one.

Food chain only adds mana of one color so yeah, you generate an arbitrarily large amount of mana of every color using creatures like the post above me mentions, then you cast the commander a bunch of times.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I have a First Sliver deck, and it is dope as gently caress and I love playing it. Cascade is dumb.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

oh yeah, it seems I use cards like the Squee guy to generate infinite mana, which allows me to infinitely cast TFS infinitely. awesome.

I will have to proxy this deck though because it seems like to make it work, you need every card to have a value of over $20 or more [mostly more, because one deck suggested all duals and all fetches]

E: i will probably make a side deck that actually has fun with slivers though.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Dizz posted:

E: i will probably make a side deck that actually has fun with slivers though.

"Oops, all Slivers" is pretty fun. It's not the most powerful way to build a Slivers deck, but it's probably one of the most powerful all-creature decks you can pull off, and it's fun to see what it spits out each time.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

35 lands, 64 slivers and Primal Surge

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Yeah if you’re going to play a bunch of slivers that do the sliver thing and attack a lot, First Sliver is the way to go. If you want to “play Slivers” but actually play it more like a combo deck you generally go Overlord or Queen.

Me, I’m a weirdo and I play a non-optimal combat-focused Sliver deck helmed by Queen. At some point I’ll probably give in and either make it a combo deck or swap it into a First Sliver deck.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

My 234 card order from MPC is arriving today, 11 days after placing it, during Christmas season, with normal shipping. That's crazy.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

OgreNoah posted:

My 234 card order from MPC is arriving today, 11 days after placing it, during Christmas season, with normal shipping. That's crazy.

how much did it cost you?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Dizz posted:

how much did it cost you?

That's not the right way to phrase that question. The question really is: how much money did Wizards not get? :sickos:

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer
The same amount they would have not been getting off of cards bought on the secondary market is my guess.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

https://articles.starcitygames.com/magic-the-gathering/elesh-norn-mother-of-machines-the-good-and-the-bad/

Sheldon Menery posted:

What the Rules Committee Members Said
We saw this card during design. Normally, we see the file, make our comments, and send them in jointly within a week or two. As soon as I saw the card, I sent off an email saying, “Please never print this card.” Shortly thereafter, I found out I wasn’t the only one of the four of us (this was before Olivia and Jim joined us) who had done that. We of course then talked about it together as well and reiterated our point during the joint feedback—this is not a healthy card for Commander.

This card does not look like it’s going to offer positive play experiences. It’s dangerously designed and then pushed mana-wise. I get that it’s a main-set card, not in Commander product, and I’ll return to the recognition that not everything has to be designed with Commander in mind. I’ll also point out that it would also be tremendously naïve for a designer/design team to ignore Commander’s existence when designing cards. Further, I have concerns that the design of this card getting through may impact the design of future cards.

The good news is that they can design whatever cards they need to, and we have remedies in place should things go awry—although to be clear, I’m not suggesting that they will, just that the possibility exists more strongly in this card than in others. And while I’ve offered some insight into how the RC operates or thinks strategically, I’ll point out that most of what I’ve said here is personal opinion. Certainly, any editorialization is mine and mine alone.

lol

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

quote:

is a [sic] going to treat you well if your primary motivation is winning.

Yeah we all run a lot of cards in our decks that aren't motivated by a desire to win.

What the gently caress is this guy talking about and why does anyone respect him.

quote:

I mean “not necessarily good for the format,” in things like play patterns or deckbuilding.

Encouraging people to run removal is good, thanks guy who "is an expert on magic".

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
a broken brann bronzebeard with an OP body and also stax thrown in i bet i could make cards that balanced and though out

3B 5/8 vigilance, lifelink, horsemanship
when Broken poo poo ETB take control of X opponent permanents permanently (they are legally your property forever even if you try to sell them), where X is whatever you feel like.
opponents can't play permanents or draw cards while Broken poo poo card is in any deck

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I am glad they ignored Sheldon, but I wish he didn't have that level of input to begin with. He says nothing intelligent or of value and should never be listened to.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't hate him or get the general animosity some people have towards him. He doesn't seem wrong about this card if nothing else

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Among Commander players I've spoken with, opinion of Elesh Norn is "maybe good enough to be a casual commander but probably better in the 99 somewhere." Among players of other formats, it's "she'll have to be better than she looks to even be playable."

Only Sheldon is like I'M GOING TO SEND A SELF-IMPORTANT EMERGENCY EMAIL TELLING THEM NOT TO PRINT IT AND THROW SHADE AT THEM WHEN THEY DO ANYWAY.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Khanstant posted:

I don't hate him or get the general animosity some people have towards him. He doesn't seem wrong about this card if nothing else

He's the Elon Musk of Commander.

E:

He posted the link to the article on Facebook. My favorite reply to it is:

"Wanting to prevent the creation of a 5 mana partial stax piece that can be doombladed is hilarious to me..."

The person replying isn't wrong. Just play more interaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Khanstant posted:

He talks about commander as if the only moral way to play it is badly.

He’s basically an rear end in a top hat on a bike who acts like he’s better than you for riding a bike instead of driving a car, expects to be treated like he’s driving a car, but also rides through red lights.

He’s also extremely disingenuous in his posts or absolutely stupid to the point of being able to get special parking rights.