Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Report gonna drop christmas eve and never be mentioned again

just like that car bomb lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Riot Bimbo posted:

biggest bummer if uap are entirely local to our system.

not because i wanna explore the cosmos, because obviously i do, but if those objects originate within our own system, the relationship we have to them is not some tabula rasa upon which like, starfleet can be built, but is a series of bummer rear end possibilities that, even if they're ftl capable, makes our relationship one that's fundamentally material, and if we aren't elevated at this point, after who knows how many years of sightings, it implies it's not in the cards, and we will be staying here.

i know i am the least outwardly hopeful person here, but i generally hope for the best and let my anxious brain map out the worst case stuff, so i put more thought into that side of things.

like an awareness of the possibility of bummer poo poo, while hoping for the best, just means good outcomes taste better and bad ones are easier to swallow

If it turns out there are highly advanced aliens in our own solar system I think that would be really loving cool

Like, even if it "just" turns out to be organic creatures bumming around in highly advanced tin cans that's still loving awesome

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

they're now in direct resource competition and have a technological advantage to one degree or another, too, though.

yeah it's cool but that doesn't really shake up that the dynamic is now likely akin to a colony and a colonizer?

which you know, for a bunch of us that's loving karma but also holy poo poo, i dont wanna deal with that

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I'm a member of this species and I wouldn't elevate any leaders on this planet lol

The Demilich has issued a correction as of 03:52 on Dec 22, 2022

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

if i'm j'rooti, my first decision is to liquify the ruling classes of most of the planet yeah gently caress letting those psychos out into the wild

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I volunteer to be Radar and Gary's puppet leader slash Dr. Breen archetype character.

For some reason their first command of me is to bring one of the new Popeye's blackened chicken sandwiches to some mountain in new mexico.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Report gonna drop christmas eve and never be mentioned again

I'll be mentioning constantly if I don't freeze to death in the next twelve hours

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Rudeboy Detective posted:

I volunteer to be Radar and Gary's puppet leader slash Dr. Breen archetype character.

sorry man they already got neil breen for that one

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

They're not originally from here, no-one used up the oil and coal before us.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Maybe there was a whole other resource and they used it all, leaving only the disgusting oil

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Unless they used oil more instead of all the coal, the petm was them burning oil, & the oil regenerated from high-productivity water plants. Being slightly less hog wild about burning everything for money could work.

Inspector Hound posted:

Maybe there was a whole other resource and they used it all, leaving only the disgusting oil

Or this

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

oil is the industrial waste produced by their technology which ran on an extremely valuable resource necessary for interstellar travel, and they used it all up

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

"if we pump it all under the ocean and desert no one will go looking for it"

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The first known arboreal vertebrate is actually from the late Permian :tinfoil:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suminia

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Even more flicker lights:
https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/zs47uh/filmed_over_rockville_md_on_dec_20_2022_drones/

And a reposted compilation of previous occurrences of this phenomenon

Boulder, Colorado 11/25/2022:
https://www.reddit.com/r/HighStrangeness/comments/z54na4/weird_helicopter_encounter/

Oceanside, California 11/24/22:
https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/z7zxxb/distant_flickering_stationary_lights_daytime/

Northernrivers, Australia 11/23/2022:
https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/z4w2k5/23rdnov2022_nothernrivers_nsw_australia/

Fairfax, Virginia 11/22/2022 (My sighting): I didn't take pictures unfortunately.

San Diego, California 11/21/2022 (rough date):
https://www.reddit.com/r/UFOs/comments/z2f82h/string_of_3_flicker_lights/
(deleted, image https://imgur.com/a/5g2uQHN)

Seriously if anyone has the slightest idea what these things could be please share because it's all I've been able to think about since and they seem to just keep happening all over the world.

Good Soldier Svejk has issued a correction as of 02:08 on Dec 22, 2022

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Riot Bimbo posted:

they're now in direct resource competition and have a technological advantage to one degree or another, too, though.

yeah it's cool but that doesn't really shake up that the dynamic is now likely akin to a colony and a colonizer?

which you know, for a bunch of us that's loving karma but also holy poo poo, i dont wanna deal with that

I dunno I don't think it automatically follows that we're hosed in the same way everyone and everyone on earth is hosed when humans show up, that's part of the fun of alieeennsss!

Honestly I'd rather die to an advanced alien species that is eradicating us so they can grow hyperweed on our seabeds than be ground into a meaty pulp by capitalism as I am

thinkin about the part in the novel version of 2010 where the chinese ship gets dragged beneath the ice by the slow moving Europans who were attracted to the ship's lights

I think about that alot

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

let me be clear, if they are accepting traitors/collaborators i would like an application.

There's nothing functional about human social structure right now

but if they're native to the solar system I'm assuming we are basically some kind of vassal/tool to them

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'm imagining some ray bradbury poo poo now where the ruined martian cities were all just behind the viking landers so the cameras couldn't see lmao

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

They sneak up behind it in the blind spot and put rocks around the wheels so it can't turn and we never know why.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

The rovers that we have landed on Mars have traversed a very small bit of it, Opportunity took 14 years to go 45 km. About a 14 year marathon time - not bad for a Mars rover. there is a hell of a lot of the Martian surface we have not seen in any level of detail.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

The first known arboreal vertebrate is actually from the late Permian :tinfoil:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suminia

"Divergent first digit" sounds like a thumb to me

I been checking out a lot of paleo stuff and the main repeating theme seems to be that life forms of almost every era were far more sophisticated than what was first assumed.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

my bony fealty posted:

The rovers that we have landed on Mars have traversed a very small bit of it, Opportunity took 14 years to go 45 km. About a 14 year marathon time - not bad for a Mars rover. there is a hell of a lot of the Martian surface we have not seen in any level of detail.

Here it is!

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/mer/images/index.html

The aliens are just out of frame, throwing rocks at the rover

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Here's a shortened video of those lights:
https://i.imgur.com/eRfKV3n.mp4

seriously what the gently caress are these

the post is getting downvoted to hell like there's some obvious explanation
please someone make sense of it

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i dunno how to do it but it'd be cool to stabilize the frames based off the trees and then try to track and see if they're moving between blinks or not and figure out how many there are

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

Here's a shortened video of those lights:
https://i.imgur.com/eRfKV3n.mp4

seriously what the gently caress are these

the post is getting downvoted to hell like there's some obvious explanation
please someone make sense of it

isn't the consensus that its flaring starlink satellites?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I thought starlink flares moved in a line
these look entirely stationary (as did the ones I saw, they hung in the sky flickering like that for at least 10 minutes, probably more)

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

these look entirely stationary (as did the ones I saw, they hung in the sky flickering like that for at least 10 minutes, probably more)

ohhh dont get me wrong, im open to anything. everything flickering now is starlink according to /ufos

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If aliens landed a small robotic rover in the Sahara or Antarctica and drove around a bit would anyone even know except by unlikely chance?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

eeh, I'm cool with it if that's the prosaic explanation but it doesn't seem to fit to the Mick West debunking video at least

this seems way too consistent, I didn't even realize these were all in a matter of consecutive days the last time.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

The Demilich posted:

I'm a menlmber of this species and I wouldn't elevate any leaders on this planet lol

This poster gets it lol

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

john ramirez gets a powerful endorsement

https://twitter.com/UAPTheory/status/1605580129224167426

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Heisenberg uncertaitee

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

exactly as I have been saying [a completely different thing]

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

love 2 aitee

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Slavvy posted:

If aliens landed a small robotic rover in the Sahara or Antarctica and drove around a bit would anyone even know except by unlikely chance?

I live in a small town in the southwest and have had two events in my life that I would consider possible UFO sightings- and sometimes I wonder if some stretches of rural America look so empty they just openly float around as if it were Antarctica like you are talking about.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

I just talked my sighting over with my wife and the biggest takeaway I have as I lie in bed is like. Like, what the gently caress.

I saw something. It's something I've wanted to see my entire life and now it's happened. I've seen something inexplicable, something unexplainable and life just kept going. I kept driving, I got back to work and talked with my coworkers. It was a completely normal drat day.

I want to go outside and shout at the top of my lungs that I've seen something, I saw it, I KNOW I saw it and why didn't it change anything? Don't you understand I SAW IT and the day just kept going. The world didn't end, they didn't land and introduce themselves, I didn't explode or freak out or wreck and die, but I loving SAW this THING and can you believe this poo poo? It feels like a giant weight now, a loving albatross just sitting there over town and then loving just gone and I'll never be able to prove it, even if they land at the loving UN building and say yeah, we're zarblaxians from zeta reticuli, here's how our poo poo works and here's how to fix your planet and hey, are Doritos really any good, I'll never know if THEY'RE what I saw or if it was some interdimensional bag of farts that happens to look like a sideways silver football that was just dropping into our world to soak up some nitrogen before it fucks back off to it's two dimensional hellscape world.

I can't explain it guys. I saw it, I know what I saw and I can't explain how it makes me feel. I saw the incredible and I never want to see it again.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

gileadexile posted:

I just talked my sighting over with my wife and the biggest takeaway I have as I lie in bed is like. Like, what the gently caress.

I saw something. It's something I've wanted to see my entire life and now it's happened. I've seen something inexplicable, something unexplainable and life just kept going. I kept driving, I got back to work and talked with my coworkers. It was a completely normal drat day.

I want to go outside and shout at the top of my lungs that I've seen something, I saw it, I KNOW I saw it and why didn't it change anything? Don't you understand I SAW IT and the day just kept going. The world didn't end, they didn't land and introduce themselves, I didn't explode or freak out or wreck and die, but I loving SAW this THING and can you believe this poo poo? It feels like a giant weight now, a loving albatross just sitting there over town and then loving just gone and I'll never be able to prove it, even if they land at the loving UN building and say yeah, we're zarblaxians from zeta reticuli, here's how our poo poo works and here's how to fix your planet and hey, are Doritos really any good, I'll never know if THEY'RE what I saw or if it was some interdimensional bag of farts that happens to look like a sideways silver football that was just dropping into our world to soak up some nitrogen before it fucks back off to it's two dimensional hellscape world.

I can't explain it guys. I saw it, I know what I saw and I can't explain how it makes me feel. I saw the incredible and I never want to see it again.

Yeah.... yeah.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

gileadexile posted:

I can empathize with this conundrum and find comfort in the hope that this will all make sense someday

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

gileadexile posted:

I'll never know if THEY'RE what I saw or if it was some interdimensional bag of farts that happens to look like a sideways silver football that was just dropping into our world to soak up some nitrogen before it fucks back off to it's two dimensional hellscape world.

Hold up is this a description approximating what you saw or?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Hug your wife, try to keep your poo poo together, because the world can be completely different tomorrow, and your life never the same, but you've still got a life to live. Time still moves, and now your reality is shaken and uncertain, but your day to day probably isn't meaningfully gonna change. Try to keep your poo poo together, maybe post your way through it if it helps. You have my sympathy, and empathy. Aberrant poo poo is hard to deal with, but you can be okay if you decide you're gonna be ok.