Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Not living in Texas continues to pay off for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

reminder to texans, if you dig a 5 foot deep hole its pretty warm down there year round if you can cover it with something insulated its like a free 55degf chill out spot and also the digging gets you hot.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
Philly area is now expected to get two inches of rain over Thursday and Friday, followed by temperatures dropping to 9 degrees F overnight. Can't wait to see what the highways look like for Christmas Eve traffic!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Real hurthling! posted:

reminder to texans, if you dig a 5 foot deep hole its pretty warm down there year round if you can cover it with something insulated its like a free 55degf chill out spot and also the digging gets you hot.

Lol at the idea that you can dig 5 feet down in Texas. In Austin, you'll hit limestone immediately, and in Houston, you'll hit water.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

cursed land

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

Lol at the idea that you can dig 5 feet down in Texas. In Austin, you'll hit limestone immediately, and in Houston, you'll hit water.

east austin is clay heavy black prairie soil. i'm a little more west though, my house is basically sitting on stone. my foundation is terrific and is unmoved after many many decades, but i have no basement and am going to die. many sides

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
you can dig 5 feet down if you start 5 feet up

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Twerk from Home posted:

ridiculous I have it on good authority you can shoot a gun into a hillside and oil pours out

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol:

Got an email from HR today:

This is also before the holiday, so if you don't have a pre-approved absence, then you forfeit the two days off. I already put in Friday off because gently caress driving 20 miles to work on ice and blowing snow with -20 windchills.

How many levels of snow emergency do we have? Like, if it's 3 out of 50 it might not be so bad, unless we're doing golf rules.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Real hurthling! posted:

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

oh good, you survived the night :D (this is a traditional Canadian greeting btw, said before exchanging toques and complaining about Americans)

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

my building sent this but I've never had to do it before and its only going to be like -10 at most anyway so I plan to not follow any of their advice until the eggs on my face as all my pipes freeze then burst

quote:

EMERGENCY FREEZE NOTICE TO ALL RESIDENTS

WE ASK THAT ALL RESIDENTS ADHERE TO THE FOLLOWING PRECAUTIONS:

• Please make sure the heat is left on and set no lower than 55 degrees. If you plan to be away, have someone check your house daily to make sure the heat is still on to prevent freezing.
  • Please keep all windows closed in your apartment unit.
  • Please allow all your water faucets to drip steadily (not fully on) 24 hours a day when the outdoor temperature is subfreezing. Especially if your bathroom or kitchen is on an exterior wall.
  • Be sure to open the cabinet doors under the kitchen sink and bathroom sink(s) to allow heat to get to the plumbing.
  • Sidewalks, stairs, and other exterior surfaces may be slippery due to frost, ice or snow. Please use caution while walking outdoors.
  • Please use caution when entering or exiting the building as the floors may be slippery from snow tracked in.
  • If you have exterior parking, please adhere to community notices on the snow removal plan to ensure that the parking lot can be properly cleared and prevent your vehicle from being towed.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Twerk from Home posted:

EVs lose range in the cold, and some cheaper models can burn tons of battery to run the heater, but when you get down to that cold a gas car will struggle to start and an EV will start at the press of a button like normal.

If you're talking about 20 below, you might have to find a way to warm up the oil before a gas car will start, but an EV will work.

This is mostly wrong.

EV batteries start to lose capacity to deliver charge at around 10C/50F, but they also undergo a drastic collapse at 0C/32F internal battery temperature.

So the car has to keep the battery warmed up, and this consumes power, even when not driving. Give the same power to a gas car, and it'll start better. Any gas car meant for climates where this is ordinary has had engine heaters for the past several decades, though gas cars don't have big internal batteries for the energy and need to be plugged in. On the upside, you don't have to run the engine heater all the time, only shortly before you intend to start the car.

Anything to the contrary is electric car manufacturer propaganda.

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

26 degrees in 3 minutes drat the day after tomorrow was a documentary
the scenes where they run away from the encroaching freeze will be vindicated yet
https://twitter.com/Jeff_Piotrowski/status/1605679462665764866
https://twitter.com/NWSCheyenne/status/1605667970667069440

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
lol the local sites are full of "electric cars work fine in the cold" claims from people selling them, and every practical experience of using electric cars during a cold snap is "the ones that start have a third of the range, not that many of them even start".

Consume your way toward absolution! Everything will be perfect if you buy this answer to your problems!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

People laughed at The Day After Tomorrow, but who's laughing now???

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Jeeeeeeeeeef

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Just don't go anywhere

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
it was cold in hawaii for a few days, like sub 70F, but now it's back to normal

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

SirPablo posted:

Just don't go anywhere

:hmmyes:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

can't slip and bust your rear end (or freeze to death) if you don't go outside

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
love to take walks in the 40s while the weather app is yelling at me that its about to be negative youre going to die

edit: whoops -19 wind chill now

A Bakers Cousin has issued a correction as of 00:58 on Dec 22, 2022

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

A Bakers Cousin posted:

love to take walks in the 40s while the weather app is yelling at me that its about to be negative youre going to die

edit: whoops -19 wind chill now
:rip:

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/AndySteinWx/status/1605716149479518209

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

That's (freezing) fog not dust.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
this is some incredible poo poo

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

chilly haboob

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
A habrrrr

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

a strange fowl posted:

chilly haboob

sibling of chilly willy?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Benagain posted:

A habrrrr

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

Gripweed posted:

I gotta say, I'm genuinely kinda pissed now. Until 2021 people on the coast in Texas didn't have experience with freezing weather. We'd get the occasional frost, but never a deep freeze like that. Most people didn't have wrapped pipes because why the gently caress would you pay money to have your pipes wrapped? So when the forecasts started calling for this serious cold, we didn't know what to do. And whether or not you leave your taps running was a topic that came up a lot. I specifically remember talking to multiple people about whether or not you're supposed to leave your taps running and they said they'd heard some people say you should and some people say you shouldn't. And in that situation, most people default to no action.

So to find out now that the confusion came from loving northern pipe nerds saying "ehh well technically running pipes can still freeze but the ice will expand lengthwise instead of longitudinally so your pipes will be frozen albeit at less chance of crackage in the metal..." pisses me off. You pedantic assholes caused confusion that led to a lot of people's houses getting hosed up in an avoidable way.

Are you somehow backwards extrapolating recent posts from this thread to explain people’s pipes bursting in the Texas fiasco? Chill out, touch grass, etc

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Benagain posted:

A habrrrr

:golfclap:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I’m in Arizona and my backyard outdoor spigot runs thru the ceiling and down the wall. if it’s too cold I’m not cracking a faucet or whatever I’m shutting off the water because it’s ridiculous to assume this house would survive a hard freeze

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Gripweed posted:

I gotta say, I'm genuinely kinda pissed now. Until 2021 people on the coast in Texas didn't have experience with freezing weather. We'd get the occasional frost, but never a deep freeze like that. Most people didn't have wrapped pipes because why the gently caress would you pay money to have your pipes wrapped? So when the forecasts started calling for this serious cold, we didn't know what to do. And whether or not you leave your taps running was a topic that came up a lot. I specifically remember talking to multiple people about whether or not you're supposed to leave your taps running and they said they'd heard some people say you should and some people say you shouldn't. And in that situation, most people default to no action.

So to find out now that the confusion came from loving northern pipe nerds saying "ehh well technically running pipes can still freeze but the ice will expand lengthwise instead of longitudinally so your pipes will be frozen albeit at less chance of crackage in the metal..." pisses me off. You pedantic assholes caused confusion that led to a lot of people's houses getting hosed up in an avoidable way.

good. I hope everyone in Texas had their pipes freeze.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

SirPablo posted:

Just don't go anywhere

:hmmyes:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Cygna posted:

Philly area is now expected to get two inches of rain over Thursday and Friday, followed by temperatures dropping to 9 degrees F overnight. Can't wait to see what the highways look like for Christmas Eve traffic!

as a philadelphian, that kicks rear end

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
hey ya wanna know 'bout chilly haboobs, just meet my ex-wife!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

God right hooking America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Real hurthling! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yJfcnIFYqg