Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Forgive the hasty drawing, but this the best approximation I could do as soon as I stopped.

The edges were blunter, but my drawing skills are absolute poo poo and I didn't trust myself to try anything but simple shapes.

The crosshatching is supposed to be shadow.

It looked like a blunt or truncated football shape or hell, even a classic saucer shape, but the upper and lower edges weren't sharp, more rounded and it cast a shadow across itself. What looked to be a black vertical line was, I assume the edge of the whatever it was.

Like I said. An inexplicable unaerodynamic shape floating in the air then seeming to get further away then just loving gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

gileadexile posted:

Forgive the hasty drawing, but this the best approximation I could do as soon as I stopped.

The edges were blunter, but my drawing skills are absolute poo poo and I didn't trust myself to try anything but simple shapes.

The crosshatching is supposed to be shadow.

It looked like a blunt or truncated football shape or hell, even a classic saucer shape, but the upper and lower edges weren't sharp, more rounded and it cast a shadow across itself. What looked to be a black vertical line was, I assume the edge of the whatever it was.

Like I said. An inexplicable unaerodynamic shape floating in the air then seeming to get further away then just loving gone.

The second drawing on the bottom was a drawing to try and explain what I thought the shape MAY have been because it just didn't seem ROUND. I can't explain it, but it seemed oblong and I was seeing like..8/10s of whatever it was from my angle.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

All the talking heads/pilots/etc. say sightings are increasing exponentially

with that in mind, there's no reason to doubt that you saw what you saw
when confronted with the unknown our strongest impulse is to explain it as something mundane

I choose to believe this actually is building towards something like the legislation and the powers that be what us to think it is, even if that is just the reveal of novel military technology (I don't think this is it though)

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Earth is so embarrassing right now can the aliens come back later when we have our poo poo together

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

It's like having someone over and you have a bunch of mugs and empty 44 Oz styrofoam cups on your nightstand. And also that person invented faster than light travel.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Tea Party Crasher posted:

Earth is so embarrassing right now can the aliens come back later when we have our poo poo together

No. They gave us plenty of time to clean our room, so now they're gonna clean it for us.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Crossing my fingers and hoping it's a Childhood's End situation.

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

what freaks me out is that apparently the military can detect and even predict when and where they appear..... ok.... so..... literally what the gently caress is it. nuts and bolts or some other thing?????

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

should probably do mushrooms and gently caress around and find out.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

helta posted:

what freaks me out is that apparently the military can detect and even predict when and where they appear..... ok.... so..... literally what the gently caress is it. nuts and bolts or some other thing?????

Anyone can predict when and where birds appear. Some hummingbirds show up to my place every day for example

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

gileadexile posted:

The anticlimax of seeing something like that is what has stuck with me through the years. That and the minimalistic design that sounds childishly simple when described. Whatever I saw that levitated beside my car and matched its speed exactly was just a big green orb. Why a big green orb? And what's it doing following me for like 3 minutes as I drive past pistachio farms?

And then it accelerated diagonally and cleared over the mountains so quickly I would have missed it if I had blinked. Maybe it thought it was cute that I was using something with an internal combustion engine or something

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The anticlimax of seeing something like that is what has stuck with me through the years. That and the minimalistic design that sounds childishly simple when described. Whatever I saw that levitated beside my car and matched its speed exactly was just a big green orb. Why a big green orb? And what's it doing following me for like 3 minutes as I drive past pistachio farms?

And then it accelerated diagonally and cleared over the mountains so quickly I would have missed it if I had blinked. Maybe it thought it was cute that I was using something with an internal combustion engine or something

It was waiting for you to ask if "that thing's got a hemi"

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

I hope my post didn't come off as a panic attack or something, I was just repeating some of what my wife and I talked about.

It absolutely feels like my world has changed, but it doesn't seem to make sense either. It's not the right terminolgy, but I've heard deeply religious people say the same thing and now I think I may know what they mean.

I feel like I'll never have an answer to today and it will always be this aberrant thirty seconds of my life. But it feels like it SHOULD be more. Like if EVERYBODY saw this at the same time, then we could just all look around and be on the same page. But I will always have the memory of this inexplicable THING and that makes me different. Geez, it's so hard to put into words.

I don't feel special or chosen, or even cursed or marked. I never thought it would feel this sort of lonely. Because no matter who tells you they've seen something, unless you were right there with them, there can always be that voice in the back of your head telling you they're pulling your chain or they were mistaken.

When it's your own eyes though, how the hell can you parse that?

Cripes, now I guess it's time to buy a bell and a sandwich board and find a streetcorner.

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

PokeJoe posted:

Anyone can predict when and where birds appear. Some hummingbirds show up to my place every day for example

but do you have sensors saying they will? like.... bird pre-flappy wing sensors?

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

gileadexile posted:

I hope my post didn't come off as a panic attack or something, I was just repeating some of what my wife and I talked about.

It absolutely feels like my world has changed, but it doesn't seem to make sense either. It's not the right terminolgy, but I've heard deeply religious people say the same thing and now I think I may know what they mean.

I feel like I'll never have an answer to today and it will always be this aberrant thirty seconds of my life. But it feels like it SHOULD be more. Like if EVERYBODY saw this at the same time, then we could just all look around and be on the same page. But I will always have the memory of this inexplicable THING and that makes me different. Geez, it's so hard to put into words.

I don't feel special or chosen, or even cursed or marked. I never thought it would feel this sort of lonely. Because no matter who tells you they've seen something, unless you were right there with them, there can always be that voice in the back of your head telling you they're pulling your chain or they were mistaken.

Cripes, now I guess it's time to buy a bell and a sandwich board and find a streetcorner.

i would listen to you on a street corner. possibly buy you a sando.

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zHdLF3-coA

i know its just me, but i listen to this music while reading the thread.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

helta posted:

yes

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

helta posted:

Bones.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Give'm another 70 years, they'll work it out and promise to share this time

Won't even murder a president over it anymore

helta
Jun 16, 2018

going back to my roots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zHdLF3-coA&t=307s

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

I feel like aliens have better things to do than hang out with us. They probably are just taking a pit stop to pick up fresh beef as a fun little date night dinner before going to their real destination thousands of light years away

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

gileadexile posted:

You can go looking for answers, accepting you may find some, maybe none. you can make your peace and move on as if it was nothing, or you can let it consume you, ime.

The sandwhich board move, while extremely classic, is usually a bad move. I only post what I do ITT because of percieved low social cost lol. It's generally an awful idea to make this loving.... whatever it is... the thing people know you for.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

gileadexile posted:

Take comfort in it. You have your proof. If we were truly the only life in the entire vastness universe and this *waves hand around* is all we've done with it, that is so loving depressing. We aren't. There is more, and the universe is more mysterious and wonderful than we give credit in our daily lives. You got a little peak behind the curtain and now you have knowledge that is precious and unique.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I hate that my organic form has to do digestive bullshit. I loathe being apart of the cycle of mastication based suffering.

Come begin the process of elevation and illumination already!

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

gileadexile posted:

I saw the incredible and I never want to see it again.

:hmmyes:

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

gileadexile posted:

Look at it this way, some day you may be able to fly a fighter jet into of the bottom of it and destroy the main weapon

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

I feel like aliens have better things to do than hang out with us. They probably are just taking a pit stop to pick up fresh beef as a fun little date night dinner before going to their real destination thousands of light years away

earth: the space applebees

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Disappointed it wasn't this initially
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRg_8NNPTD8
but it was pretty good so the disappointment was short lived!

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Riot Bimbo posted:

You can go looking for answers, accepting you may find some, maybe none. you can make your peace and move on as if it was nothing, or you can let it consume you, ime.

You're missing the third option! Since UFO is related to The Phase then you should now have an easier time of doing The Phase stuff, like lucid dreaming, astral projection, psychic abilities, and magic. If you're feeling up for it I highly suggest trying out some or all of those and seeing what turns up. Remember that absolutely everything is intention based; to be safe, set up some calming mental imagery, and/or be ready to call upon your preferred deity.

Honestly you only start going insane if your house isn't in order. If you live a stressful life - think homelessness, drug addiction, abusive relationship, toxic job - it's no good. Reality needs to be a place you want to be if you don't want to lose yourself.

Might also be helpful to remind yourself that nothing weird is going on. It's just unfamiliar to you. But it's not entirely different from what you've been doing all your life. Interesting that you've always wanted to have this experience and now you have... no?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Honestly you only start going insane if your house isn't in order. If you live a stressful life - think homelessness, drug addiction, abusive relationship, toxic job - it's no good. Reality needs to be a place you want to be if you don't want to lose yourself.

see i don't agree here. I actually do think this post is on the right track otherwise, but like lol oh my God, every single break-through has been profoundly disorienting and destabilizing, and while, yes, a good home life and situation reality-side is essential for grounding, i think sometimes your lid just gets loving flipped because we're meat creatures

you have to be acutely aware of what's going on in your head and when to pull back, and imo going off the deep end into hard esoterica is a bad move. I've been slowly ramping up [deliberate] growth over a couple of years and i seriously still feel like i move too fast sometimes

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

sharknado slashfic posted:

Look at it this way, some day you may be able to fly a fighter jet into of the bottom of it and destroy the main weapon
Just cross your fingers that they're as stupid as us humans and everything works perfectly unless it rains. That's how I ended up with bits and pieces of Skunk Works black planes, I'm just waiting until someone fucks up and has to eject from an F-22 or F-35; if a plane ends up strewn across a few thousand acres of public land, nobody is going to wander the desert and every last piece of it

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

That's how I ended up with bits and pieces of Skunk Works black planes,

Please elaborate

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

A few days ago Christopher Sharp from the Liberation Times posted an AMA

Selected responses:

quote:

Q: It's aliens/non-human, isn't it?... at least is that what your sources are telling you?

A: There is a 'wink' sometimes when I try to delve into that topic. But no one has ever given me the full guide of "look Chris, this is what we're dealing with - these things are from XYZ and these other things are from XYZ, and this is what they want", as much as I would like that!

However, multiple sources who do not know eachother have told me that the Holloman Air Base event was real....

If that is true, then what did these non human discuss with USAF reps and is contact ongoing?

Follow-up Q: Holloman being a real event has absolutely massive implications. How many sources indicated that?

A: Three separate reliable sources. Can I take it to the bank? Nope. Evidence would eventually need to be provided.

When it came to the NASA UAP study and UAP Hearing, it was easy for my sources to be proved correct - but in this instance, it is a whole other level.

Follow-up Q: Have there been other revelations that gave you a sense of ontological shock?

A: Sometimes I will walk away from certain conversations in total shock.

quote:

Q: This topic seems to have an incredible amount of bipartisan support in both the House & Senate intel committees, which is very rare these days - in your opinion, is it obvious those committees have seen something clearly non-human or why do you think there is so much bipartisan support among the committees who have been receving classified briefings on this?

A: Yes, certain committees have been privy to information, which I am told has been life changing to certain members.

That's why there is bipartisan support from those cleared to see such information.

For further reference, see 'Rule 9' in this link: https://www.intelligence.senate.gov/about/rules-procedure

The repercussions of mishandling classified information are severe, which is why so many are tight lipped.

quote:

Q: I take it from the briefing that any crash retrieval programs are still hidden at present?

There were rumours swirling that Congress was already aware of them and had found them in private aerospace.

If they had indeed found them, would you expect this to be included in the upcoming UAP report or not?

A: From my understanding, the Senate Intel committee has been provided verifiable information about legacy programs. Further information may have been provided recently....let's see.

But this is more than a rumour from my understanding. Congress didn't create whistleblower legislation from nowhere. From my understanding, whistleblowers may have already come forward.

As for information being made available about such programs in the report? I doubt it.

Once congressional committees are confident they have untangled such info and are certain about the existence of such programs, then a decision will need to be made on what they declassify and how this is communicated.

I see the next advocacy campaign pressurising congress to live up to its promise to act with transparency when possible. However, there are serious repercussions involved if leaking classified info - so it needs to be handled with care.

Follow-up Q: Interesting how they are still playing the no evidence of "space aliens" card with all this in mind

A: The whole experience on Friday felt very very serious. The sense that you cannot gain from the roundtable transcript was the serious tone from both Moultrie and Kirkpatrick.

One of the topics they were keen to tackle was the stigma associated with the topic - and they also declared that more must be done.

That's why it was very disappointing to hear a journalist representing the New York Times ask, in an obnoxious tone, whether evidence shows if 'any one of these anomalies is a space alien'.

Among many others.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I want to see a spaceship

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

D-Pad posted:

Please elaborate

I think Ben Rich mentioned at least 2 crashes in his book about his time at Skunkworks, I'll try and track it down later.

Hell, even better "We've had our share of crashes during long weeks and months of test flying airplanes" regarding everyone's favorite stealth bomber.

sharknado slashfic has issued a correction as of 12:23 on Dec 22, 2022

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Also relevant to recent discussion this passage from Dimensions by Jacques V

quote:

I am intrigued by this concept because it is a recurrent one in modern contact cases. Psychic experimenter Robert Monroe has described a similar phenomenon in his own investigations of out-of-body consciousness. On the night of September 9, 1960, as he was lying on his bed, Monroe says (in his book Out of the Body):

They seemed to soar up into the sky, while I called after them, pleading. Then I was sure that their mentality and intelligence were far beyond my understanding. It is an impersonal, cold intelligence, with none of the emotions of love or compassion which we respect so much, yet this may be the omnipotence we call God. Visits such as these in mankind's past could well have been the basis for all of our religious beliefs, and our knowledge today could provide no better answer than we could a thousand years past.
By this time, it was getting light, and I sat down and cried, great deep sobs such as I have never cried before, because then I knew without any qualification of future hope of change that the God of my childhood, of the churches, of religion throughout the world was not as we worshipped him to be – that for the rest of my life, I would "suffer" the loss of this illusion.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

has anybody seen that brazil ufo doco “moment of contact”? is it worth $6.99 australian dollars?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

toggle posted:

has anybody seen that brazil ufo doco “moment of contact”? is it worth $6.99 australian dollars?

For four quid? Yeah, I'd say so.

If nothing else it's pretty entertaining and fairly well put together (I thought The Phenomenon was a lot slicker though, this one's a bit more rambling). The story is, of course, incredibly outlandish but some of the testimony is really quite compelling - in fact, probably the most compelling part is when one witness doesn't provide testimony and instead practically chases off the crew with a gun, he's so unwilling to talk about what he saw.

Like any good bird documentary I went into it going "yeah right, whatever" and came out going "umm what the gently caress happened there, I still don't know if it was aliens but some poo poo sure went down"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

I feel like aliens have better things to do than hang out with us.

Nahhhhh, human society currently sucks but the vast vast vast majority of planets are dead rock / dust / gas planets that don't have much going on. To a space faring species, finding any planet with life is a jackpot