Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:nms: NYT investigated the last moments of a number of Ukrainians who were slain by Russian forces in Bucha. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/12/21/world/europe/bucha-ukraine-massacre-victims.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:nms: NYT investigated the last moments of a number of Ukrainians who were slain by Russian forces in Bucha. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/12/21/world/europe/bucha-ukraine-massacre-victims.html

Dear god that's difficult to get through.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Would've been perfect if the flag unfurled the correct way. All I can make out it is "to the house of representatives of the United States" but maybe that's all it really says in English.

Had a little chuckle about putting words in their mouth at the end when the US flag gift was presented, "Done worry Volodymyr, we will pack it up for your trip." and Zelensky replying, "I don't have time, I will take it with me now." before picking it up and walking it out.

What a great speech and great delivery, especially for someone speaking in a non native tongue.

I'm also glad the WaPo stream stopped showing Gaetz/Boebert/Steube or whoever about halfway through.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Yeah for such a choreographed event it got kind of awkward there at the end. Just a reminder that all of these larger-than-life figures are human, too, and sometimes need to figure out how to get off the stage on the fly.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
https://twitter.com/Lum_/status/1605739156809859073

quote:

TUCKER CARLSON (HOST): If you were a Republican office-holder and Zelensky came to Washington, maybe you would, for a moment, ask him about his current and ongoing war against Christianity in Ukraine. Especially if you were, say, Mitch McConnell or John Cornyn and a lot of your own voters go to church on Sunday. They might care about that issue.

But McConnell and Cornyn didn't mention that. They didn't say a word. You will not hear a word on television tonight about the fact that Zelensky has banned an entire ancient Christian denomination in Ukraine, and then seized churches, and then thrown priests into jail.

According to Mitch McConnell -- who apparently hasn't left his office since the mid 80s -- anti-Christian despotism is what most Republicans want, above all. They don't get enough. They're just begging for it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
hanukkah sameach president Zelenskiy

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

I see that flag and all I can think of is when everyone at the office signs the card for someone's retirement party.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

That flag is from the frontline yesterday, I believe. Zelenskyy brought it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

mutata posted:

That flag is from the frontline yesterday, I believe. Zelenskyy brought it.

Oh, I see the that the writing on it isn't in English. I just saw that flag and it just reminded me of a retirement party going--away card at first glance.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Charliegrs posted:

The tank rounds and Grad rockets are interesting. I'm assuming the tank rounds are for the Soviet/Russian tanks the Ukrainians use and Grads are a Russian designed system as well. I don't think the US produces any of these? I wonder where they are getting them from.

125mm tank rounds are for Soviet tank guns as used in the T-64, -72, and -80, western tank guns come in 105, 120, and 130mm only

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Between this and MTG's comments about Zelenskyy being a "shadow president" working in the globalist deep state they might as well be using triple parantheses for him, yeesh.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Youth Decay posted:

Between this and MTG's comments about Zelenskyy being a "shadow president" working in the globalist deep state they might as well be using triple parantheses for him, yeesh.

Given that he's Jewish, I'm surprised they aren't.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Meanwhile, Rogozin is having a bad evening:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ukraine-shelling-attack-injures-two-top-pro-russia-officials-donetsk-agencies-2022-12-22/

”Dec 21 (Reuters) - A former Russian deputy prime minister and a pro-Moscow official were injured when Ukrainian forces shelled the eastern city of Donetsk on Wednesday, Russian news agencies said.

Donetsk, controlled by pro-Moscow troops, is in the industrial Donbas region, epicentre of recent bitter fighting between Russia and Ukraine.

One of the injured men was Dmitry Rogozin, a former Russian deputy prime minister who is giving military advice to two occupied regions of Ukraine that Moscow claims as its own, an aide told Tass news agency, his life was not in danger.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Wonder how long it'll be until MTG is chanting "JEWS WILL NOT REPLACE US" and "RUSSIA IS OUR FRIEND" at a rally somewhere.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

LOL, Pelosi introduced Zelenskiy as "The President of The Ukraine."

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Lum_ posted:

https://twitter.com/Lum_/status/1605739156809859073

TUCKER CARLSON (HOST): If you were a Republican office-holder and Zelensky came to Washington, maybe you would, for a moment, ask him about his current and ongoing war against Christianity in Ukraine. Especially if you were, say, Mitch McConnell or John Cornyn and a lot of your own voters go to church on Sunday. They might care about that issue.

But McConnell and Cornyn didn't mention that. They didn't say a word. You will not hear a word on television tonight about the fact that Zelensky has banned an entire ancient Christian denomination in Ukraine, and then seized churches, and then thrown priests into jail.

According to Mitch McConnell -- who apparently hasn't left his office since the mid 80s -- anti-Christian despotism is what most Republicans want, above all. They don't get enough. They're just begging for it.

I wonder if anybody over there is willing to name the denomination in question.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Just like the USA is exporting surplus HARMs and Patriot batteries, Tucker Carlson is exporting refurbished reactionary memes from years past.

Maybe next year they will roll out "Ukraine refuses to back the blue."

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Ardeem posted:

Considering their target audience doesn't believe Eastern Orthodox of any variety are real Christians, very doubtful indeed.

He also angrily called Zelensky a "strip club manager", repeatedly, because he commited the cardinal sin of not wearing a suit to his Congressional appearance.

Anyway if you missed it it'll be on Rossiya-1 in a few hours!

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 22, 2022

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Star Man posted:

Oh, I see the that the writing on it isn't in English. I just saw that flag and it just reminded me of a retirement party going--away card at first glance.

It's not helping that they're holding it back to front and the text is mirrored as a result.

Still, calling the flag of de defenders of Bakhmut an office going away card is pretty lol.

mllaneza posted:

Old people just can't help themselves, they've been calling it The Ukraine for most of their life. It's not intentional, usually. I still cringe when I hear someone say it though. It's gotten better but a lot of the older western geopolitics experts and such still say it in interviews sometimes.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

mllaneza posted:

I'd assume it's a force of habit, since both "United States of America" and "Ukraine" start with U. And you would "Welcome the President of the United States of America". Same as "welcome The President of The Ukrainian Republic" if you wouldm like to be pedantic.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Kikas posted:

I'd assume it's a force of habit, since both "United States of America" and "Ukraine" start with U. And you would "Welcome the President of the United States of America". Same as "welcome The President of The Ukrainian Republic" if you wouldm like to be pedantic.

I'm pretty sure Ukraine is just Ukraine and not the Ukrainian Republic

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

nutri_void posted:

I'm pretty sure Ukraine is just Ukraine and not the Ukrainian Republic

I bet you're right, but since I've heard someone use "The Republic of Poland" I just assume that these mishaps happen.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Ardeem posted:

I also wonder now how big the Orthodox Church of Ukraine actually is compared to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, they both claim the same churches and monastaries

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

FishBulbia posted:

I also wonder now how big the Orthodox Church of Ukraine actually is compared to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, they both claim the same churches and monastaries

I think technically those belong to the state/people and are given for use to the majority group in the given community (which makes your question even more relevant).

The practical question may actually be the low-level priests.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

mllaneza posted:

She also dicked up the pronunciation of his first name when introducing him.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

spankmeister posted:

Old people just can't help themselves, they've been calling it The Ukraine for most of their life. It's not intentional, usually. I still cringe when I hear someone say it though. It's gotten better but a lot of the older western geopolitics experts and such still say it in interviews sometimes.
Yeah it's just a habit, my parents will sometimes say "on Ukraine" instead of "in" (basically same implication as using "the" in English). If you're used to the other way then you have to consciously think to avoid it. It's nbd.

FishBulbia posted:

Same relationship as People's Front of Judea and Judean People's Front, I'd imagine

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Same relationship as People's Front of Judea and Judean People's Front, I'd imagine

Was one of those run by Rome?

Anyway, looks like Zelensky is meeting with Duda. Makes sense given importance of Poland... and the geography of his trip to Washington.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kikas posted:

I bet you're right, but since I've heard someone use "The Republic of Poland" I just assume that these mishaps happen.

That’s because Poland officially is “the Republic of Poland” in English, whereas Ukraine officially is “Ukraine”.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

1st AD posted:

Patriot batteries

There’s really no such thing as an excess Patriot battery. One of the reasons the decision to give Ukraine one Patriot battery was a big deal.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Meanwhile the Admiral Kuznetsov is eager to get back to spewing smoke everywhere and caught fire again.

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1605861526786768896

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

mmkay posted:

Meanwhile the Admiral Kuznetsov is eager to get back to spewing smoke everywhere and caught fire again.

🎵🔥🔥🔥🎶
Oh, the Kuznetsov looks so frightful
But the fire is so delightful
And since Russians just won't learn
Let it burn, let it burn, let it burn

Man, it doesn't show signs of stopping
And I've brought me some corn for popping
Now it's way down in the drink
Let it sink, let it sink, let it sink

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Nenonen posted:

🎵🔥🔥🔥🎶
Oh, the Kuznetsov looks so frightful
But the fire is so delightful
And since Russians just won't learn
Let it burn, let it burn, let it burn

Man, it doesn't show signs of stopping
And I've brought me some corn for popping
Now it's way down in the drink
Let it sink, let it sink, let it sink

Sadly its in a dock so it can't really SINK, but who knows how bad the fire gets it could always be cored out from the damage.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

AtomikKrab posted:

Sadly its in a dock so it can't really SINK, but who knows how bad the fire gets it could always be cored out from the damage.

It already sank one dry dock, there’s no reason it can’t try again!

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

mlmp08 posted:

There’s really no such thing as an excess Patriot battery. One of the reasons the decision to give Ukraine one Patriot battery was a big deal.

How does a Patriot compare to an S-300? I heard patriot batteries are basically a science project. They pay out huge enlistment bonuses if you want to work in them in the US Army so that tells me it's a really lovely job. The actual training process is apparently like a post secondary degree program even if you do it full time. You also have routine training drills and inspections just to stay current on the system. You've got phone book style manuals you have to follow to the letter and if you miss something you start all over again and are stuck on base for the whole night with no sleep until its done right.

Then there's the cost of running it and using up the missiles for low value targets with high value impact (kamikaze drones) and I wonder if there's a better way to do this. To me what's happening right now is a campaign reminiscent of the London Blitz in WW2. Only now you have to contend with missiles and small aircraft that barely show up on radar. I'd hate to be a Ukrainian patriot operator detecting an Iranian drone about to blow up an apartment block and having to forgo firing a missile because I'm waiting for a Kalibr missile heading to a power plant or transformer station.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mmkay posted:

The only thing that piece of poo poo knows how to do properly it set itself on fire :piaa:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Kraftwerk posted:

How does a Patriot compare to an S-300? I heard patriot batteries are basically a science project. They pay out huge enlistment bonuses if you want to work in them in the US Army so that tells me it's a really lovely job. The actual training process is apparently like a post secondary degree program even if you do it full time. You also have routine training drills and inspections just to stay current on the system. You've got phone book style manuals you have to follow to the letter and if you miss something you start all over again and are stuck on base for the whole night with no sleep until its done right.

Then there's the cost of running it and using up the missiles for low value targets with high value impact (kamikaze drones) and I wonder if there's a better way to do this. To me what's happening right now is a campaign reminiscent of the London Blitz in WW2. Only now you have to contend with missiles and small aircraft that barely show up on radar. I'd hate to be a Ukrainian patriot operator detecting an Iranian drone about to blow up an apartment block and having to forgo firing a missile because I'm waiting for a Kalibr missile heading to a power plant or transformer station.

They’re used for different purposes and their designs reflect the doctrinal differences between the USA and Russian militaries - not sure a comparison is useful.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://www.defense.gov/News/Transc...round-briefing/
SDO and SMO brief from 21 December.

List of PDA and USAI announced:
PDA - drawn from US stocks, usually much faster aside from train-up time. USAI - US goes to indsutry to contract for sourcing. Months to years lead time.
https://www.defense.gov/News/Releases/Release/Article/3252782/185-billion-in-additional-security-assistance-for-ukraine/

Intro then excerpts as I decide. I cut a lot of repeated or reworded question: When will Patriot be operational? How will the JDAM kits be used (ordnance/carrier)?

Highlights:
-One (1) Patriot Battery will be delivered to Ukraine, drawn from US stocks. There isn't such a thing as "excess" Patriot, so it is a pretty significant announcement on the US end. As for Ukraine, it's one more medium-range SAM battery. It's not clear how much that actually buys you in defending such a wide area and as many critical assets as Ukraine has to contend with, but every bit will help, especially as S-300 interceptor stores run down over time. DOD will not comment on ordnance quantities or where that is coming from, other than existing US stocks.
-US expects training Ukrainians on Patriot to take "several months," so I wouldn't expect to see this in operation in Ukraine until spring of 2023, at the absolute earliest.
-USAI funding for satellite comms and terminals (might or might not be a response to the StarLink fickleness about offering services to Ukraine for free)
-US not commenting on means of JDAM kit employment for OPSEC reasons
-For purchase of legacy Soviet / Russian caliber ammunition (122mm artillery, 152mm artillery, 122mm Grad rockets, 125mm tank rounds), comments sound like it will leverage (primarily?) already produced rounds from around the world to be shipped to Ukraine on the US's dime. It could also include new production, not clear.
-Is there some ability to tie together all the US and legacy systems? Nope, people are looking into that, but anything resembling interoperability / integration will likely be procedural and tactics / agreements-based, not a technical solution in the mid to longer term.
-The Ukrainian Patriot battery will not be linked into any NATO systems or communications. It is a battery for Ukraine to operate, on their own.

quote:

SENIOR DEFENSE OFFICIAL: Good afternoon, everyone. I'd like to start by just recognizing where we are in this war. We're in over 300 days after Russia launched this war to try to stamp out Ukraine's existence as a free nation. And at this moment, we are welcoming President Zelenskyy to Washington, D.C., a sign of Ukraine's determination, its spirit, its resolve, and an opportunity for us to be able to reinforce our support for Ukraine during President Zelenskyy's visit.

So you will hear more from the White House later this afternoon about President Zelenskyy's visit. In the meantime, what I wanted to do is give you some important details about our new security assistance commitments that President Biden announced today, totaling $1.85 billion.

Now, these -- these commitments come in two parts, and we're announcing both of these together. First, we have a presidential drawdown package that's valued at $1 billion. This is the 28th such drawdown of equipment from DOD inventories for Ukraine since August of 2021. And then the second is an additional $850 million in commitments under the Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative.

So first, let me talk about the presidential drawdown package, and this package includes for the first time a Patriot air defense battery and munitions. This is another signal of our long-term commitment to Ukraine's security. As you know, Patriot is one of the world's most advanced air defense systems, and it will give Ukraine a critical long-range capability to defend its airspace. It is capable of intercepting cruise missiles, ballistic missiles and aircraft.

It's important to put the Patriot battery in context. For air defense, there is no “silver bullet.” Our goal is to help Ukraine strengthen a layered, integrated approach to air defense. That will include Ukraine's own legacy capabilities, as well as NATO-standard systems. Patriot will complement a range of medium- and short-range air defense capabilities that we've provided and that allies have provided in prior donation packages, and for us, that includes NASAMS and Avenger systems. Patriot does require training, and we expect it will take several months to ensure Ukrainian forces have the training they need to employ it successfully.

Now, in addition to Patriot, this drawdown package includes several other highlights. First, it includes an additional 500 precision-guided 155-millimeter artillery rounds, and it includes several different mortar systems and rounds for those systems. Second, it includes precision aerial munitions, and then third, it includes additional MRAP vehicles and Humvees, and I think important to note, this is 38 MRAP vehicles, but we've provided 440 to date, and it's 120 Humvees, but this comes on top of 1,200 Humvees that we've provided to date.

Now for the second part of today's announcement, the $850 million under USAI, I just want to remind that this is an authority under which we procure capabilities from industry, rather than drawing them down from U.S. stocks. So USAI capabilities typically take longer to deliver. Now under USA -- AI, we are committing to provide a range of different non -- what we call nonstandard ammunitions. This is what we formerly called Soviet-type ammunition. It includes 152-millimeter artillery rounds, 122-millimeter artillery rounds, and these will be able to help the Ukrainians bring more of its legacy systems, its legacy howitzers back into the fight in greater numbers. We also plan to -- to provide 122-millimeter Grad rockets, and this is to support Ukraine's Grad rocket artillery capability, as well as tank ammunition to help Ukraine sustain operations with its existing tanks. Another capability we're providing via USAI are satellite communication terminals and services. This will add resilience to Ukraine's communications infrastructure. And then as always, we have funding from (sic) training, for maintenance and for sustainment in support of the equipment we and our partners have provided.

So this brings us to, the United States has committed more than $21.9 billion in security assistance to Ukraine since the beginning of the Biden administration. And as President Biden has said, we will continue to support the Ukrainian Armed Forces for as long as it takes. Thank you, and I look forward to your questions.

Q: Hi. Thanks a lot. One clarification, and then a question on the satellite coms. On the -- the Patriots, how quickly do you expect the -- the Patriot battery will be in country? And you said several months to train. I just want to make sure that's accurate.

And then secondly on the satellite communications, is this for the STARLINK system that's already being used there? Does this guarantee that that system would remain there for a while, or is this an effort to supplement the STARLINK system? Can you give us a bit more clarity on what that will buy, and how much money is in the USAI? Thank you.

SENIOR DEFENSE OFFICIAL: Great, thanks. So on Patriot, I don't have the precise date for the system to be transferred, and obviously, we would be very careful about operational security details there. But I can tell you it is a several-month training process, and we're working through the details of the training right now. So several one -- several months is about -- about all I can give you in terms of a timeline.

And then on the SATCOM, this will augment existing Ukrainian capabilities, but since we're in the process of contract negotiations I can just say we're talking to a number of vendors, but can't be more specific than that. Thanks.

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Thank you. Our next question will go to NBC, Courtney Kube.

Q: Can I just ask any more clarity at all about the Patriots? So I get -- I understand several months for training, but can we say that the training is going to begin in the coming days? Is it going to be potentially weeks? And are they training on the actual -- actual Patriot that will be sent into Ukraine for use, or is -- is there -- can you say anything about whether the actual system itself is going to be -- start moving in while they're being trained elsewhere on it?

And then I have one more.

SENIOR DEFENSE OFFICIAL: Okay, so Courtney, we're still working through some of the details on the -- the specifics of training, and I think we will have -- have more that we can, you know, share with you in the -- in the coming days, but, you know, for now, I can -- I can just say that, you know, the training will begin very soon, and again, it will take several months. And the -- the training is the -- the limiting timeframe here, that, the Ukrainians will have to complete the training in order to be able to, you know, field the system. And it's the Ukrainians who are operating the system, so that's absolutely essential.

And you had another question?

Q: Yeah, can you say how many Ukrainians will be -- will be trained on it? And the assumption is it's going to happen in Germany. Is that true?

SENIOR DEFENSE OFFICIAL: So -- so I -- I don't have a -- a -- a specific training location to confirm for you. We're looking at a number of options. And I -- you know, I'm afraid I don't actually have the -- the -- the precise numbers of -- of Ukrainians going through the training.

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Thank you. All right, we'll go to Eric Schmitt, New York Times.

Q: Just a question on the -- the precision aerial munitions. They're using the JDAM kits, right? And if so, are -- is the U.S. also providing the bombs, the GBUs, that go with that? And when do you expect these kits and -- and/or bombs to be going into country, into Ukraine? What kind of modifications might be necessary for the Ukrainian Air Force to use that?

And then I have one other question.

SENIOR DEFENSE OFFICIAL: Thanks, Eric. I don't have any more details for you on the precision aerial munitions. I'm not going to get into any more specifics for OPSEC reasons.

Q: Thank you, sir. If I remember from my own Army training, the Patriot battery has about 90 to 100 soldiers. I (inaudible) the analysts I've talked to have told me that it -- it -- in and of itself, the one thing a battery would offer -- a modest improvement to Ukrainian air defense capacity. Is there -- is the reason that you're only sending one battery at this point now -- was (it designed as sort of a -- a test to see how well they can operate one before you possibly send others? Maybe a full battalion?

SENIOR DEFENSE OFFICIAL: Well, Mike, what I'll say is, you know, this isn't a comprehensive air defense solution or Ukraine. So, this is another step in many steps that we have pursued and that our allies and partners have pursued to get air defense capability to Ukraine. There's also the NASAM systems, the two have arrived and there's six more on the way.

Our allies have provided a range of short and medium-range air defense capabilities. So, with this one battery we will be offering a formidable capability, but we will still be working, you know, the U.S. will be working, and our allies and partners will be working to round out Ukraine's air defense capabilities.

Q: Hi, sorry for the delay. I was trying to unmute myself. A couple of follow-ups to Idrees' question. Is there anything stopping the Ukrainians are shooting the interceptors with something other than incoming threats? I mean, I understand it's an air defense system, but it's also -- it's also -- it's also an interceptor that could potentially be deployed for other threats. So, that's my first question.

And then, where are the Patriots going to -- where is the Patriot going to come from? Is it going to be transferred from a deployed location or from somewhere in the United States?

SENIOR DEFENSE OFFICIAL: Okay, so I'll take a stab at this, although the Senior Military Official also touched on this earlier. You know, this is a defensive system, and the Ukrainians will use it to intercept incoming missiles or, aircraft that would pose a threat to their, their population, their military potentially. So, we expect that it will be used as this defense -- as the defensive system that it is.

The particular battery that we are providing, this is coming from U.S. stocks, but we -- we are not going to confirm the specific details of, where in the force we are obtaining this from.

Q: Thanks. I'm just curious since the air defense systems are being sent in different dribs and drabs, you sent the Hawks, of course, the Patriots coming, you've sent other systems. How the department is going to work and train up on integrated air defense or how you're thinking about integrating all these assets that are coming online at different times for the Ukrainians?

SENIOR DEFENSE OFFICIAL: Yes, thanks, Jack. I think -- it sounds like you have a good appreciation for the complexity of this challenge. So, this is something that we are engaged with the Ukrainians on, even as we look to support them, you know, as they're -- I mean, they're still fielding their -- you know, their legacy systems, their S-300 systems and other short-range Soviet-type air defense systems.

And they are, you know, fielding them capably, very effectively. We are introducing a whole host of new systems to provide this layered array of air defense. So at the same time we are also, you know, in a conversation with them and in kind of technical consolations with them on how we can assist them to be able to manage and integrate a variety of capabilities.

Q: And just with regards to the Soviet systems you mentioned that are coming out of USAI in this package, is that an assessment the Ukrainians are -- need to move a little bit more slowly when it comes to the NATO systems? Obviously they're -- you know, still have a lot of Soviet-era artillery and other Soviet-era systems they're using.

SENIOR DEFENSE OFFICIAL: Yes. On that we want to enable the Ukrainians to bring all the firepower to the fight that they can. And so, they have a lot of legacy Soviet-type artillery systems, but they were running out of ammunition. So we'd like to enable them to be able to continue to use those systems even as they continue to use the M777 howitzers that we've provided, the HIMARS and other NATO-compatible systems. We don't see it as an “either or” but rather an and.

Q: I'm sorry. Excuse me. I'm sorry to interrupt. I just -- I wanted an important clarification. This is Nancy from The Wall Street Journal. You said on the call that the U.S. is not provided JDAMs, but on the State Department announcement it lists JDAMs. It says explicitly. Can you please clarify?

STAFF: Yes. We'll have to take a look at that, Nancy. Again, for operation security reasons we're not going to be able to go into any more details in terms of what the precision aerial munitions capability consists of.

Q: Wait. I'm not looking for more details. I'm looking for clarification to the details you've provided. The State Department briefing says it also marks our first transfer of joint threat attack munitions, and on this call you said you're not providing that. It's an important point. A lot of stories have gone out. I'd just like to point -- I'd like to clarify just with this as quickly as possible. I'm not looking for just different information. I'm looking to understand what is provided.

STAFF: Yes. Thank you, Nancy. We'll get a clarification.* And again, just to highlight in terms of what the DOD put out on its release is what the senior defense official was saying, is that that's what we read out. [Editor's Comment from DOD: * ED NOTE: Today’s DOD press release regarding Ukraine Security Assistance included a reference to Precision Aerial Munitions. To be more specific and to clarify comments made during this DOD-hosted background briefing, this refers specifically to Joint Direct Attack Munitions (JDAM) capability. For reporting purposes, you may attribute this additional detail to a senior military official.]

Q: Yes. Also wondering if we can get a little bit more detail about the USAI. In terms of will it go through the same process in terms of delivery? You said it might be delivered sort of later in the month in term -- or later in the time delivery because of the nature of the resourcing? So have you already been able to source all the ammunition, and is it going to go through the same organization group within EUCOM to get into the front lines for the Ukrainians?

SENIOR DEFENSE OFFICIAL: Yes. Thanks. So with USAI, I mean, the way -- the way that we're procuring this ammunition isn't really that fundamentally different from how we procure other capabilities in USAI. And, you know, as we're making the announcement we are starting that process of contracting and procuring.

And so, it usually -- I mean, one of the biggest variables for us with USAI is whether -- whether something is already produced, and we can just pick it up and deliver it, and EUCOM uses the same process to do that for USAI as it does for drawdown in terms of organizing that logistical transportation and transition to the Ukrainians or is it something that actually has to be created from scratch. And, you know, so with some higher tech capability, some of the counter-UAS capabilities, for instance. It does take -- it does take quite a bit longer because industry is actually producing.

In this case, the ammunition is a fairly straight-forward process, but each particular kind has a sort of different timeline depending on the specific vendor.

STAFF: Thank you.

Q: Thanks, and one more -- one more quick question. In terms of the response for delivering your announcement, you know, Russia six days ago warned of the consequences for U.S. sending Patriot missiles. Did that all affect the announcement? Did that all affect the amount or number? Instead of a withdrawal are you guys further into the war?

SENIOR DEFENSE OFFICIAL: Well, at this point, we're -- we're quite used to heated and threatening rhetoric from Moscow. What I can tell you on this capability is it is a -- a defensive capability, and I can just assert that, you know, once again, we will continue to support the Ukrainians with what they need, when they need it, never mind the rhetoric.

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Thank you. We've got time for just a couple more. Let's go to Jeff Schogol, Task & Purpose.

Q: Thank you. I -- I apologize for the -- the novice question on the USAI funding, but if I heard you right, this is for 152, 122, and possibly 125 millimeter shells. Is it possible that American companies, like General Dynamics, could be producing Soviet caliber munitions?

SENIOR DEFENSE OFFICIAL: Well, it -- it -- Jeff, no problem with the question. So we -- we source USAI from all around the world. I don't actually have the specific vendor information for, you know, these -- these exact rounds but -- but we source from -- you know, from -- from anywhere that we can find good supply.

Q: This is Jeff with Task & Purpose. We have a question from another reporter who asked if the NATO Patriot system will -- if the Patriot system will be linked to NATO systems to enhance its tracking capability. Can the Senior Defense Official answer that real quickly?

SENIOR DEFENSE OFFICIAL: So this is a Patriot system for Ukraine to operate on its own.

Q: So no?

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Okay.

SENIOR DEFENSE OFFICIAL: Yes, this is not a NATO -- this is not a NATO-operated system. This is a Ukraine-operated system.

Q: Thank you.

SENIOR MILITARY OFFICIAL: Okay, thanks very much, everybody. Appreciate your time and thank you for joining us today. Take care.

1st AD posted:

They’re used for different purposes and their designs reflect the doctrinal differences between the USA and Russian militaries - not sure a comparison is useful.

I think it's fair to compare them in general, as long as someone recognizes that while S-300 was fielded in the late 70s and 80s (Patriot was fielded in the 80s), Patriot has gone through constant evolutionary upgrades, and Ukraine still has 80s-era S-300. Their mission sets are pretty similar, and their mobility is pretty similar.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Kraftwerk posted:

The Patriots being availability for anti-Kalibr duty opens up other systems for the kamikaze drones though. Until Ukraine ends up running out of ammo for their other systems, I really doubt they'd retire them.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

I think it's fair to compare them in general, as long as someone recognizes that while S-300 was fielded in the late 70s and 80s (Patriot was fielded in the 80s), Patriot has gone through constant evolutionary upgrades, and Ukraine still has 80s-era S-300. Their mission sets are pretty similar, and their mobility is pretty similar.
Where "similar" means "both have a number of variants with different missions each", if I understood correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Zelensky's trip to DC is well timed. General support for Ukraine within the US population is gradually slipping from summer highs. Whether it is due to low voter attention span on foreign affairs that are not immediately impacting the populace, inflation and cost of living issues rising to the forefront, or the Tucker Carlson effect, support for Ukraine within the US especially among Republican and Independent voters is slipping.

https://globalaffairs.org/research/public-opinion-survey/growing-us-divide-how-long-support-ukraine This poll was released in early December and https://today.yougov.com/topics/international/articles-reports/2022/12/21/americans-support-giving-weapons-ukraine this was released today.

Ex. When given the option of yes/no/not sure, more Republicans are in favour if turning off the money tap than are for maintaining it. Independents broadly seem uneducated on the topic with 1/3rd not sure but only about an equal number supporting continued funding.

Democrats remain the most enthusiastic but with a caveat; they are the voters most likely to be scared off with Putin's vague threats of consequences. Support among Democrats for Patriot missle batteries to Ukraine fell by 1/3rd to just 50% after being informed of Russian threats so as silly as Moscow is at times with its rhetoric, it does appear to have some impact. This effect was much less pronounced with Republicans though in that almost none of those who supported the issue flipped when informed of Russian threats. If you are a conservative who supports Ukraine, Putin isn't scaring them off of it.

More and more twitter sentiment also follows this trend as my feed leans more conservative than most here I suspect. Shapiro released a very 'IR realist' tweet that echo'd my earlier post accurately pointing out that Ukrainian interests are not America interests and that the two shouldn't be confused with each other. That at some point, the US needs to be able to be the bad guy should support for Ukraine no longer run in parallel with good US foreign policy.

https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/1605899823491620866?s=20&t=0vROBrV59GwB5T29eqIGQg

Ukraine might want to gamble at some point next summer and get as much as they can. Mearshiemier is likely to be proven correct in the long term. Ukraine is something the Russian state will suffer extreme deprivation and hardship to control while it simply isn't a core interest for the US. Ergo support can be fickle and evaporate very quickly. I think the Ukrainians are very lucky the US elections played out the way they did. Shapiro points out Biden is unlikely to be the bad guy in this scenario of pushing the Ukrainians towards a peace they don't want and his party retains control at least one of the Congressional bodies.