Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Spanish Manlove posted:

If you didn't have to pull the charging handle on the bolter when you swapped to it I would love the bolter.

Hey guess what, they changed that animation. Still takes just as long to swap, but it prevents people from niggling on that detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

If you didn't have to pull the charging handle on the bolter when you swapped to it I would love the bolter.

good news!

well I've been having fun with with the dueling sword, legit like the best knife ever

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

skaianDestiny posted:

They changed the animation now. You either just lug it into position since it's heavy or you do an HK slap on the charging handle.

Grognan posted:

good news!

well I've been having fun with with the dueling sword, legit like the best knife ever

oh gently caress yes I can finally be the assault marine of my dreams

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

With ragers I just block and dodge backward once or twice until they get locked into an attack combo, then I rev up and heavy attack. If that doesn't do it on the first one, I repeat. Works pretty much every time.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

litany of gulps posted:

I mean sure, but I was responding to someone who said that their eviscerator wasn't doing the job. If your problem is the strong melee enemies, then maybe picking the right weapon for the job is the best approach. Personally, I mostly just shoot stuff with my goddamn near perfect Mark 12 lasgun, which deletes everything I look at. You don't need a perfect roll on a thunder hammer for it to do its job. It won't annihilate 12 poxwalkers in a swing, it does 2-3 every swing, regardless of stats. It'll also kill just about anything while activated - light or heavy attack and regardless of stats. That's kind of a thing with the hammer. You don't need a high shredder stat. It just kind of does the job. I used a lovely low rating hammer for a long time, and it did the job. I have a better one now, but it isn't that much different. The uncharged shots throw trash enemies. The charged shots kill what they hit. That's it.

it's def usable but I think the Thunder Hammer can be improved.

I think a slight explosion on the special attack will be nice. If the maul has it then there's no reason the hammer doesn't. Fine with the hammer animations and damage as I used it often in VT2 but I think the special only hitting one unit is the one that grates me.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
i'm going to try to do some more testing on it tomorrow but it appears that ranged weapons do more damage the further you are from the target (at least on zealot, I need to try it on other classes), which goes against the whole ranged falloff thing that games have been doing since almost forever.

Please tell me i'm stupid but even after testing out a lasgun, bolter, and revolver in the psychanium I get bigger numbers when i'm 45m away compared to when I'm 0m away.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Spanish Manlove posted:

i'm going to try to do some more testing on it tomorrow but it appears that ranged weapons do more damage the further you are from the target (at least on zealot, I need to try it on other classes), which goes against the whole ranged falloff thing that games have been doing since almost forever.

Please tell me i'm stupid but even after testing out a lasgun, bolter, and revolver in the psychanium I get bigger numbers when i'm 45m away compared to when I'm 0m away.

i am extremely interested in these results

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
With Ragers the 100% safe method is to block and dodge until you get enough distance to swap to a ranged weapon and gun them down - when they're barreling into you as part of a swarm you often don't get a clean window to swung back

But the 100% cool method is to use a parry-capable weapon and counter them to death

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm pretty sure this is to encourage using melee in close quarters and have a bit of forgiveness with all the missed bullets against far targets using the more inaccurate weapons. I've had this experience as well on my Zealot.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

It’s a feature. If you check the damage numbers when you hover over the % stuff, you’ll see numbers for near and far damage.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Spanish Manlove posted:

I think this is only for lasguns? Most weapons have dropoff but lasguns actually do less damage up close than at range?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Fishstick posted:

I think this is only for lasguns? Most weapons have dropoff but lasguns actually do less damage up close than at range?
Yes, and if you mouse over the bars it even tells you what the damage % is you're getting at close range vs long range. Autoguns for example have traditional falloff and do more damage at close range.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

This depends on the weapon.

Braced Autogun:

Kantrael MkXII:

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Just got me Pskyer to 30, and overall I like the class but brain burst feels bad. The two good perks at lv 30 require void charges, and if you have a remotely competent veteran or ogryn in the group, they kill your target before your can, or you’ll use 3 head pops on an elite and still not get a kill. Nothing is more frustrating than charging the skill 6 times and not doing a single point of damage.

I feel like it should instead deal damage per second as long as you are holding it, and when your target drops below a certain threshold, their head explodes. And as long as you’ve been holding it for more than like 2 seconds, you get the void charge, even if you ogryn killed it by flinging his bento box at him. Then your teammates would be helping you out by shooting at the guys who have glowing heads instead of stealing your thunder.

Voidstaff feels like the only viable option for Psyker as pergatus does poo poo for damage, and the aforementioned problems with brain burst make my strategy of weaving together head pops and gunplay which I enjoyed on easier difficulties harder.

Who should I level next as the anti-psyker, preacher or chunky boi?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Preacher is the anti-psyker, yes yes.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

ChickenHeart posted:

With Ragers the 100% safe method is to block and dodge until you get enough distance to swap to a ranged weapon and gun them down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YyBtMxZgQs

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Just got me Pskyer to 30, and overall I like the class but brain burst feels bad. The two good perks at lv 30 require void charges, and if you have a remotely competent veteran or ogryn in the group, they kill your target before your can, or you’ll use 3 head pops on an elite and still not get a kill. Nothing is more frustrating than charging the skill 6 times and not doing a single point of damage.

I feel like it should instead deal damage per second as long as you are holding it, and when your target drops below a certain threshold, their head explodes. And as long as you’ve been holding it for more than like 2 seconds, you get the void charge, even if you ogryn killed it by flinging his bento box at him. Then your teammates would be helping you out by shooting at the guys who have glowing heads instead of stealing your thunder.

Voidstaff feels like the only viable option for Psyker as pergatus does poo poo for damage, and the aforementioned problems with brain burst make my strategy of weaving together head pops and gunplay which I enjoyed on easier difficulties harder.

Who should I level next as the anti-psyker, preacher or chunky boi?

The Psyker is an odd beast, Youtube creators will tell you that warpcharges and soulblaze are king and the consensus here is that warpcharges are fake and soulblaze is poo poo. Personally I've only ran my level 30 Psyker in Malice difficulty runs and while the Voidstaff is amazing, apparently the damage noticeably falls off a cliff in Heresy. You'll get more mileage out of Purgatus for mild damage and staggering hordes, and Surge for stun locking specials and elites ( which it does pretty well ), and you're dealing with so much poo poo that you're Brain Bursting targets of opportunity when you have a free moment, not necessarily the biggest threats that have to die now ( and if a Vet is free to shoot it's still faster for him to deal with the problem ). When I've geared my Psyker up enough that I'll feel comfortable to try it in Heresy ( but I'm getting way more enjoyment out of the Vet ), I'll probably go the Surge Staff and Force Sword. For feats I'm looking at Essence Harvest ( Toughness on Warp charge gain ), Pyskinetic's Wrath ( Why does this feat have the same name as the active ability? I'm assuming it's applying a damage bonus to the staff as well as sword ), Psychic Communion for faster than Brain Bursting randoms for warp charge generation ( it seems to pop reasonably frequently in Malice difficulty and presumably even more frequent in Heresy ), Kinetic Shield for more range resistance ( Shotgunners felt like my biggest bane playing in Malice, and while Kinetic Deflection seems like a good alternative I still haven't rolled a Force Sword with Deflector ), Warp Battery ( like I know warpcharges are fake and soulblaze is meh, the choices here and the capstones are just so underwhelming I feel like everything is kinda a bad choice ) and Ascendant Blaze ( The plain Pyskinetic Wrath seems like such a weak stagger normally - like I don't know how anyone has managed to pull off the Cliffhanger penance because I'm really struggling to make more than a couple dudes fall off a bridge, that I feel I'm just as well off pushing with my sword. At least getting some dots off with Soulblaze to everything in front of me feels like I'm contributing more damage making everyone else's job just a smidge bit easier, and Kinetic Barrage encourages you to hold off F bombing just to get off a slightly faster Brain Burst on a target you need to Brain Burst more than once and as already mentioned above, hopefully a half decent Vet has already dealt with that problem ).
I'll be that guy fixing hounds, ragers and mutants in place so a bolter round or three can finish the job, and occasionally farting fire that may or may not contribute to the ongoing brawl depending on the number of charges I've managed to accrue, and I feel that such a person would have a place to be useful in the higher difficulties. It works ok enough in Malice, but the Voidstaff still feels superior because you're a lot more killy. Damage breakpoints be a thing and if the Voidstaff does fall of that sharply in Heresy and above, being the crowd/special control guy is the next best thing.

And seeing gun wizards in Heresy while I'm playing Vet just makes me sigh.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Dec 22, 2022

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
the voidstrike staff does not fall off in damnation and staggers those targets it doesn't kill.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Cease to Hope posted:

the voidstrike staff does not fall off in damnation and staggers those targets it doesn't kill.
Well I'm gonna have to give it a try!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

A lot of the issue with the warp charges is that it's all backroom calculation bonuses on damage that you can't notice unless you're in the meat grinder or incredibly tuned in to the exact number of hit every enemy you see takes so it could be the most powerful move in the game and it would still feel like poo poo. Even the Vet's Volley Fire +50% damage perk feels anemic despite being super strong because moment to moment you don't notice that oh hey that special would normally take five shots to kill but it only took three this time.

I do feel like the Psyker is going to be vindicated in time as people get used to how he plays, but there's definitely some issues with how it feels. He just doesn't have the punchy, meaty showmanship (I'm fighting hard not to use the term "gamefeel") of the other classes.

I mean, look at the force sword. It's super strong but also it's ability manifests in hitting someone and then force pushing them to death, a lot less satisfying than chainsawing them in the face.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 22, 2022

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
From a game design perspective it's kind of bizarre to me that all of the classes have kits and tools to deal with most things in the game except poo poo that is actually run ending, which only one of the four classes can consistently deal with lol

you're playing heresy+ and want to deal with a gunner pack who is more than 30 yards away from your group making GBS threads bullets all over you and don't have a veteran? gently caress off! die! what are you gonna do, sit there and have someone brain burst them for 20 seconds? lmao

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Operant posted:

From a game design perspective it's kind of bizarre to me that all of the classes have kits and tools to deal with most things in the game except poo poo that is actually run ending, which only one of the four classes can consistently deal with lol

you're playing heresy+ and want to deal with a gunner pack who is more than 30 yards away from your group making GBS threads bullets all over you and don't have a veteran? gently caress off! die! what are you gonna do, sit there and have someone brain burst them for 20 seconds? lmao

This mostly seems like it would only be a real issue if you had all short ranged weapons on the other classes. Psyker's fireballs can still stumble and headshot, and Zealot can take all the general ranged weapons.

If anything Vet has the weakest way to prevent a wipe because he has no perks that support revives or movement. If there's still enemies standing when his clip runs dry his team is hosed. Even psyker can dump damage into peril while he's reviving allies if he has the right perk.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I haven't played Psyker in Heresy - how many BB does it take to kill a special like a shotgunner?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Kaddish posted:

I haven't played Psyker in Heresy - how many BB does it take to kill a special like a shotgunner?

Along with this, what are the top 3 psyker weapons? Hit 30 on my ogryn last night, psyker is the last one I have to level.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Force sword and voidstrike

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Jimbot posted:

Getting weakspot kills on poxwalkers is way too finicky. I got a good axe with Brutal Momentum on it and even lopping off heads left and right the perk only seems to pop randomly. Why you gotta do this to me, game?!
From a while back, but I think the Rashad axe just has a hosed up hurtbox or something, because I have the same problem with those. Meanwhile with an Antax I can headshot and proc Brutal Momentum for days even though the blessing on mine is low level.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Kokoro Wish posted:

Hey guess what, they changed that animation. Still takes just as long to swap, but it prevents people from niggling on that detail.

And sometimes it will start the reload animation even though you're using the focus reload feat.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If you play Psyker, please do not take the 4% chance for warp charge talent over the strongest team coherency bonus in the game on heresy and higher, 15% ult cooldown for every elite kill, on those difficulties the elites are sometimes thicker than the poxwalkers in hordes and that's exactly when you and your team will be using ults.

Kaddish posted:

In heresy or damnation you can 1 shot:
Shotgunners
Gunners
Trappers
Bombers
Snipers

If I see a big pile of immediate threats like that or ogyns piling on the team I'll immediately use the ult with the cheaper/faster brainbursts and pop as many as I can before they can hit the team.

big cummers ONLY posted:

Along with this, what are the top 3 psyker weapons? Hit 30 on my ogryn last night, psyker is the last one I have to level.

Any staff except trauma is viable, force sword with deflection or your favorite regular melee weapon or dueling sword are fine, they passively vent peril faster than a force sword and can block melee for days with the feat.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

im having trouble with the ogryn 'stay in cohesion' penance because the cohesion stacks seem to randomly drop off and then immediately return when people move between like chunks of the level

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

juggalo baby coffin posted:

im having trouble with the ogryn 'stay in cohesion' penance because the cohesion stacks seem to randomly drop off and then immediately return when people move between like chunks of the level

I noticed this earlier too on my ogryn alt, I thought I lost the team but nope there's a guy six inches from me

Knocking down six enemy ogryn at once just seems impossible. The most I've even seen in one go is four lol

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

If you play Psyker, please do not take the 4% chance for warp charge talent over the strongest team coherency bonus in the game on heresy and higher, 15% ult cooldown for every elite kill, on those difficulties the elites are sometimes thicker than the poxwalkers in hordes and that's exactly when you and your team will be using ults.

Sorry but my entire talent tree revolves around that horseshit that otherwise requires me to stop every three seconds to do a long charge attack to keep them up.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

CuddleCryptid posted:

Sorry but my entire talent tree revolves around that horseshit that otherwise requires me to stop every three seconds to do a long charge attack to keep them up.

at some point they are going to rebalance psykers to have talents that are actually good and they are going to become unreasonably powerful

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Exodee posted:

From a while back, but I think the Rashad axe just has a hosed up hurtbox or something, because I have the same problem with those. Meanwhile with an Antax I can headshot and proc Brutal Momentum for days even though the blessing on mine is low level.

Yeah, I was thinking that too. It's frustrating. I know it's not the best cleave axe but it's still fun and fast and when that perk goes off it's still pretty great but I'm just axing heads off left n' right and nothing happens. I hope they take a look at the weapon and fix the issue.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

I noticed this earlier too on my ogryn alt, I thought I lost the team but nope there's a guy six inches from me

Knocking down six enemy ogryn at once just seems impossible. The most I've even seen in one go is four lol

I play Heresy pretty regularly and I haven't seen more than like, 4 at a time. Maybe at diff 5?

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I've absolutely seen 6 before, but the problem is 2 out of 6 are Reapers who just sit back and fire and never want to push up. I'm genuinely surprised that Fatshark made the penance harder on full release, it's kinda nuts to make any of these more difficult.

Also still need the Travel Long Distance penance that requires you to use the elite kill reduces CD feat to get the extra charge in time. That seems even more fiddly tbh.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Does +block effectiveness also reduce stamina damage taken when reviving an ally?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I lucked into a pretty good bolter. Got it as a blue in the shop and then upgraded it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Typical Pubbie posted:

Does +block effectiveness also reduce stamina damage taken when reviving an ally?

It should. I haven't actually tested in, so it's possible Fatshark Fatsharked it. But I'd assume so.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Floppychop posted:

I lucked into a pretty good bolter. Got it as a blue in the shop and then upgraded it.

ohhh i want that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So apparently in the last patch where they reverted the VFX on the surge staff they accidently made it so the surge staff doesn't do crit damage anymore, despite having a bar dedicated to crits.

How they managed that on just reverting a graphical change, I have no idea.
:fatshark: