Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Who could have seen this coming? :rolleyes:

look not everyone has the time to do a deep dive on these things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Who could have seen this coming? :rolleyes:

Not sbf.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

It’s kinda sad if this means they get away with a lighter sentence cause the crimes are so obvious everyone involved deserves the worst.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

(Actually rereading this I realized it's a form of terfs one joke.)

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
maybe they can put him in a cell next to ross ulbricht

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

knox_harrington posted:

The most annoying thing to me about the Bankman-Fired guy** is how he's asked a straight question like "why did Alameda have unrestricted access to FTX investors' money" and his answer is always "what I think happened is..". No you rear end in a top hat you were there, you did it. How can he get away with that in interviews?

** I'm sure if you have him all your savings there are more pressing annoyances

Molly White's the closest thing to a real journalist in all of finance.

e:

Worth it.

DickParasite fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 22, 2022

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ArbitraryC posted:

It’s kinda sad if this means they get away with a lighter sentence cause the crimes are so obvious everyone involved deserves the worst.

Prosecutors don't offer plea deals they don't need.

They probably have hard evidence of SBF knowingly laundering money for Iran or something. Possible they have something on CZ too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Shmorky's dead?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Prison polycule

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Powershift posted:

They probably have hard evidence of SBF knowingly laundering money for Iran or something. Possible they have something on CZ too.

I mean or the wealthy parents of everyone involved bailed them out and they did in fact get offered plea deals that weren’t needed because there’s no justice in the USA.

The people involved have carefully compiled mycrimes.txt and if they weren’t rich failchildren they’d all be in jail for the rest of their life. The prosecution didn’t need to let off most of them to throw the book at one, it’s obviously just gonna be a compromise to show that something happened while minimizing who takes the blame.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
With the competence level of most people involved in the coin scene, i wouldn't be too surprised if they confessed then pled guilty out of the blue and are expecting to be offered a plea deal for being so helpful

Not this time around since he public silence means she's at least smart enough to listen to a lawyer, but it's still a fun thought that will probably eventually come true

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ArbitraryC posted:

On the plus side they can't ever really touch finance ever again easily. And likely can't ever occupy 'official' corporate leadership positions ever again.

Fraud charges lock them out of a lot of what they seek to do in life.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Powershift posted:

Don't prosecutors pretty much always offer at least some sort of plea deal, as it's just so much easy for everyone than actually going through a full court case?

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

lol SBF is sooooo hosed.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Read the whole thread but this tweet

https://twitter.com/molly0xfff/status/1605761483102642176?s=21&t=-qR8kmHE4Q8ls7ihxIuSXw

Lmao at thinking that acting dumb about not knowing anything when you’re ceo would work

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

dr_rat posted:

Don't prosecutors pretty much always offer at least some sort of plea deal, as it's just so much easy for everyone than actually going through a full court case?
There's a plea deal in the sense of "you would probably lose in court and get 10-15 years; if you plead guilty and take 6 years, we don't have to hold the trial, and you get out way sooner."

And then there's a plea deal in the sense of "immunity or minor punishment in exchange for turning state's evidence."

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Okay yeah, that make sense.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

On the plus side they can't ever really touch finance ever again easily. And likely can't ever occupy 'official' corporate leadership positions ever again.

With how stupid they are that is just the equivalent of childproofing their finances.

Rich people jail was the absolute worst thing that could happen to them in this lifetime and if they dodge even that it’s a big sad lmao.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Shmorky's dead?

Wondering the same. I’d heard the pedo revelations and all, but hadn’t heard of their death.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Let's keep this on topic of crypto in general please

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

https://twitter.com/zillawatcher1/status/1605053310234349569?t=9tX8zGGuWE3gvjoTZwnLkw&s=19

:psyduck:

The "long-ago commissioner" might just be Lowtax, or someone close to him

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
fuckin' KlurfCoin

drk
Jan 16, 2005
gary mad

much more in SEC vs Ellison and Wang: https://www.sec.gov/litigation/complaints/2022/comp-pr2022-234.pdf

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

How much they worth?

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Gonna be funny if Ellison gets off light. Wouldn't be surprised if she was the driving force behind Alameda getting backdoor access to FTX customer money in the first place.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Those who flip first get the best deals, especially when it leads to someone higher up getting owned

drk
Jan 16, 2005

acidx posted:

Gonna be funny if Ellison gets off light. Wouldn't be surprised if she was the driving force behind Alameda getting backdoor access to FTX customer money in the first place.

The SEC seems to be placing blame for the backdoor shenanigans on Wang

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

DickParasite posted:

Molly White's the closest thing to a real journalist in all of finance.

e:

Worth it.

am i the only one?

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

drk posted:

backdoor shenanigans on Wang

:wiggle:

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
She pleaded guilty to about 7 crimes with combined prison terms of like 110 years max. Yeah she flipped, so does that mean she gets 10-15 years or something like that?

Still a lot of crimes to commit and plea guilty to, regardless of her purely selfish reaction when the feds told her how hosed she was.

e: now i guess SBF is in for life

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

How much they worth?

Depends on market conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2IYIJc1f00

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

acidx posted:

I'd say they've hosed with enough peoples' money that it no longer matters how rich their parents are. Plenty of people with influence are going to be out for blood.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

this kind of community just loves to use the term "deep dive" and no, sbf had not done a "deep dive" into whether or not he'd be arrested

So you're saying he didn't do his own research?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I'm sure he typed something into the League of Legends UI between matches

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

i need to get rid of of a couple of couches and was googling for people in my town who'll do it and came on these guys, i'm intrigued by their proposal and want to know more about how they are disrupting the junk removal paradigm

http://www.cjsjunkremoval.co.nz/service/service-1/

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

The book deal will get them some money.
And I'm sure Netflix and Amazon is trying to secure the rights for the film in 7 seven years time when its all over.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

happyhippy posted:

The book deal will get them some money.
And I'm sure Netflix and Amazon is trying to secure the rights for the film in 7 seven years time when its all over.

Good chance there'll be multiple SBF movies that release in 2023

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

more falafel please posted:

Good chance there'll be multiple SBF movies that release in 2023

Only one of them will be good and it won't be the one everyone expects. It will also be the one with the main actor who looks the least like SBF.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

dr_rat posted:

Only one of them will be good and it won't be the one everyone expects. It will also be the one with the main actor who looks the least like SBF.

Matthew McConaughey puts on 75 lbs for the role. Wins Oscar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

sebmojo posted:

i need to get rid of of a couple of couches and was googling for people in my town who'll do it and came on these guys, i'm intrigued by their proposal and want to know more about how they are disrupting the junk removal paradigm

http://www.cjsjunkremoval.co.nz/service/service-1/

I gotta say, "The Christian Blockchain" is something I'd not have guessed would be a thing, but here we are.