Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

pentyne posted:

This article sounds like there was some higher level corporate bickering between Warner and Paramount that ended up creating the situation as it did, and likely they split ways and the DS9 showrunners were sort of guided by execs into making a space station based show, no idea when the serialization of the story, a core part of B5, was planned to start.
https://www.tor.com/2013/02/26/is-this-the-smoking-gun-proving-deep-space-nine-ripped-off-babylon-5/

This is factually incorrect. Time Warner and Chris-Craft formed PTEN in 1993. Viacom didn't start making movements to start UPN until after it acquired Paramount in 1994.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Babylon 5 is off HBOMax 1/25. Finish up your rewatch I guess.

I also would assume that this isn't really a vote of confidence in the reboot.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Clouseau posted:

Babylon 5 is off HBOMax 1/25. Finish up your rewatch I guess.

I also would assume that this isn't really a vote of confidence in the reboot.

Any idea where it's heading? Or is it going back beyond the Streaming Rim?

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
No idea. FWIW, JMS had this to say on it:

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1605386153460260864

Which, people in the thread explain why HBOMax has to pay to license a show which I assumed they owned by owning WB but TV licensing is a huge mess so who knows.

Anyway, a bunch of us bored pandemic podcasters (like the one quoted above) are probably all gonna see a hit to our downloads oops.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It's funny timing, I just signed up for a trial period with HBOMax, and watched one additional episode into the rewatch that got blocked by the non-remastered episodes leaving Amazon Prime years back. I'll try and finish this by then, as rough as the 5th season is (and as annoying as the commercials are, there was no deal on the commercial-free subscription).

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
It's still on Amazon Prime and I don't see any news that it's going away from there, but I am seeing discussion that they never fixed the issue where a couple episodes have scenes missing.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Lemniscate Blue posted:

It's still on Amazon Prime and I don't see any news that it's going away from there, but I am seeing discussion that they never fixed the issue where a couple episodes have scenes missing.

Are you outside the US? Here it's not on Amazon Prime. I mean, it's there in the sense that you can use your HBO Max subscription through there, much like you can do with AMC, Shudder, etc.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Looks like it's still there.

https://www.amazon.com/Babylon-5-Season-1/dp/B000I5SYHS

:10bux: + :20bux:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Sorry, when I said "on Amazon Prime" I meant "included in the Amazon Prime subscription".

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Five seasons of B5 isn't the worst thing you could spend $150 on, but a lot of people just don't have that. If you have a successful podcast, I'd say it's worth it.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

mllaneza posted:

Five seasons of B5 isn't the worst thing you could spend $150 on, but a lot of people just don't have that. If you have a successful podcast, I'd say it's worth it.

I think the issue is less “podcasters will need to spend 150 bucks.” (Hell, that’s probably cheaper than maintaining the streaming subs, and the financially correct way to go if they’re not really racing through the show) and more that audiences tend to watch along with the podcast and if the audience can’t do that, it may hurt demand to listen to said podcast.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Clouseau posted:

Which, people in the thread explain why HBOMax has to pay to license a show which I assumed they owned by owning WB but TV licensing is a huge mess so who knows.
IIRC, the various Star Treks (a franchise owned by Paramount) had to pay to rent studio space at Paramount (also owned by, er, Paramount) because they're in different divisions of the same corporation and that's how their accounting works. I guess there's some clever way they can shuffle any losses to where they're most needed for tax or profit-participation-denial purposes, and the same applies to all the media corporations. Like with JMS's example of "a WB movie set burns down in Namibia and the cost of it is transferred to B5."

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Chevy Slyme posted:

I think the issue is less “podcasters will need to spend 150 bucks.” (Hell, that’s probably cheaper than maintaining the streaming subs, and the financially correct way to go if they’re not really racing through the show) and more that audiences tend to watch along with the podcast and if the audience can’t do that, it may hurt demand to listen to said podcast.

Yup. I already have the show (though the DVDs not the cleaned up versions) but there's been a large crop of watch along podcasts that all popped up with it going on HBOMax and we all will probably see a decrease in listeners (at least in the US, which accounts for a little over half for us). That said this is just a fun side project for us and we're not running ads so it's not really like it will hurt us drastically.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Put the remasters on blu-ray WB

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Payndz posted:

IIRC, the various Star Treks (a franchise owned by Paramount) had to pay to rent studio space at Paramount (also owned by, er, Paramount) because they're in different divisions of the same corporation and that's how their accounting works. I guess there's some clever way they can shuffle any losses to where they're most needed for tax or profit-participation-denial purposes, and the same applies to all the media corporations. Like with JMS's example of "a WB movie set burns down in Namibia and the cost of it is transferred to B5."

It makes sense for things that are finite and probably wanted by multiple productions, but then you get stuff like John Birt making BBC programmes have to pay to use the BBC Pronunciation Unit (which was hardly overstretched) and so it withered despite being very popular and highly regarded as smaller budgeted programmes couldn't justify, eg, spending money to get the pronunciation of a polish name said once correct.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Winifred Madgers posted:

Put the remasters on blu-ray WB

This would be my ideal, yes. Assuming they are less prone to disc rot than the DVD release.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I've been rewatching them from when I taped them on my dvr a couple of years ago. :v:
Doesn't have season one and a few episodes of season 2 are missing.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Payndz posted:

The whole Trek franchise is under Paramount Television for historical reasons - it was originally an NBC show produced by Desilu, who was bought by Gulf and Western. Gulf and Western also bought Paramount Pictures so they renamed Desilu to Paramount Television.

Paramount Pictures tried to launch a TV network, using a new Trek show by Paramount Television as its centerpiece (huh, sounds familiar). That fell through and became Paramount Pictures’ TMP, with all the money poured down the drain of the new Trek show by Paramount Television counting against its budget.

A few mergers later, the original Paramount Television is CBS Studios and owns Trek, the current Paramount Television is a completely new entity that owns nothing, and they’re both owned by Paramount Global, which used to be Viacom. Got it?

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

The whole Trek franchise is under Paramount Television for historical reasons - it was originally an NBC show produced by Desilu, who was bought by Gulf and Western. Gulf and Western also bought Paramount Pictures so they renamed Desilu to Paramount Television.

Paramount Pictures tried to launch a TV network, using a new Trek show by Paramount Television as its centerpiece (huh, sounds familiar). That fell through and became Paramount Pictures’ TMP, with all the money poured down the drain of the new Trek show by Paramount Television counting against its budget.

A few mergers later, the original Paramount Television is CBS Studios and owns Trek, the current Paramount Television is a completely new entity that owns nothing, and they’re both owned by Paramount Global, which used to be Viacom. Got it?

Where does UPN fit into this?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
THE ARISTOCRATS

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Ganguro King posted:

Where does UPN fit into this?

Fox’s success meant everyone wanted to start a fifth network. The problem was most independent stations were now Fox affiliates.

Paramount bought up a chain of independent stations and found themselves with a lot of successful syndicated shows in the early ‘90s.

PTEN was WB Domestic Television and Chris-Craft. It started broadcasting in January ‘93, two nights a week.

In September ‘93, Chris-Craft announced they were forming a network with Paramount and pulled their stations out of PTEN. UPN began with Voyager in ‘95 as its flagship show.

A week later, WB as a whole announced they were going to form a network with Tribune’s stations at the core. (That killed PTEN.)

Both Paramount and WB immediately realized they were hosed and spent a decade trying to get Chris-Craft to gently caress off so they could merge the two networks into the CW.

MyTV is all the Fox-owned UPN stations that didn’t get picked up by the CW as affiliates.

Basically,

Absurd Alhazred posted:

THE ARISTOCRATS

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 27, 2022

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:
hi long time listener first time poster

new(ish) to b5 and as a professional musician it is my expert opinion that the s3 credits music is the best and its not even close

no i will not be taking any questions

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

sinnesloeschen posted:

new(ish) to b5 and as a professional musician it is my expert opinion that the s3 credits music is the best and its not even close

I don't think you're going to find many contrary opinions on that score here.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm almost done with my most recent rewatch which stalled for years on Season 5 when the show left Amazon Prime. Pretty emotional, the last few episodes.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sinnesloeschen posted:

IT FAILED

(boom boom BWARRRRR boom boom BWARRRRR)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

sebmojo posted:

IT FAILED

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

sebmojo posted:

IT FAILED

i mean seriously

my favorite part is when bill mumy's poo poo comes up in the opening credits; i feel like thats either a real low synth or those crazy bastards in the sinfonia had a fuckin octobass (which owns, u should check then out)

also, most tragic character: londo or lennier
ooh dark horse pick: MEESTAIRE morden

sinnesloeschen fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 30, 2022

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

sinnesloeschen posted:

Al Bester

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

sinnesloeschen posted:

Londo, hands down.

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
oh and zack allan look like a ps2-era ape escape monkey

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

CainFortea posted:

Londo, hands down.

idk man for all his moaning about NO CHOICE my man had a lot of agency imo

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sinnesloeschen posted:

i mean seriously

my favorite part is when bill mumy's poo poo comes up in the opening credits; i feel like thats either a real low synth or those crazy bastards in the sinfonia had a fuckin octobass (which owns, u should check then out)

i mean ctfo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9EbGd1AlMg

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I can see that. Doomed from the start by being raised to be space racist all the way through, so that he can't even conceive of anything outside of it. Profoundly incapable of true empathy.

Morden, for what it's worth, did have some kind of choice. It was a choice between service or death (or a fate worse than death), but he chose, and it seemed like he tried his best to enjoy himself while he did what he did.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

A banger, and no mistake.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Sleeping in Light always makes me weepy. Especially with how many of the actors are no longer around.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

sinnesloeschen posted:

i mean seriously

Londo is greek tragedy.

Lennier is Shakespearean.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

sinnesloeschen posted:

idk man for all his moaning about NO CHOICE my man had a lot of agency imo

That's where the tragedy comes from.

Tragic characters don't only mean "Good people that bad poo poo happens to", a tragic play or character is one where great events that are terrible happen in/to them.

The tragedy isn't what happens to Londo, it's that he makes those choices that causes all those terrible things to happen. He could have stopped. In fact in the early times when Morden got him the eye he suspected a rat. But he chose that path to follow later anyway.

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne

Chevy Slyme posted:

Londo is greek tragedy.

oh drat this is perfect

CainFortea posted:

But he chose that path to follow later anyway.

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Chevy Slyme posted:

Londo is greek tragedy.

:hmmyes: