Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

spwrozek posted:

For sure. I was kind of assuming the op's sister will be in that situation starting a job at $300k+.

I sure would hope so!

I'd still be inclined to max the 401(k) contributions in her position even with a bad set of ERs, because that knocks $7K off the Federal income tax bill. That pays for some pretty lousy expense ratios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I agree with your assumption that preserving the ability to do a backdoor Roth IRA contribution is valuable.

As someone new to doing back door Roths can someone explain how rolling 401k into IRA impacts this? My wife is about to change jobs and was assuming to roll 401k into IRA but want to understand what impacts this has that we don’t realize

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Joose Caboose posted:

As someone new to doing back door Roths can someone explain how rolling 401k into IRA impacts this? My wife is about to change jobs and was assuming to roll 401k into IRA but want to understand what impacts this has that we don’t realize

A backdoor Roth IRA is typically performed by first making contributions to a traditional IRA account, and then immediately converting that trad IRA balance to a Roth. When you do that conversion, you owe taxes on any gains made on the balance that was in the traditional IRA, and you must convert all of it - that's why you do it right away. You have to pay taxes on any deduction you previously took on your traditional IRA balance.

So if you already have a traditional IRA, and that money has earned anything or you already did your taxes for the year you made contributions, you'll pay a tax hit when you do the conversion. If you've been contributing for years, deducting 6k from your income annually, etc. you could have to pay a lot. This is why if you may ever do a backdoor Roth in the future, it's best to have no balance in traditional IRA money. No, you cannot get around this by putting money in a different bank's trad IRA or something, the IRS knows.
Here's a good page and the important bit about taxes:
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/b/backdoor-roth-ira.asp#toc-tax-implications-of-a-backdoor-roth-ira

e. I'll note that even if you have a traditional IRA balance, it can still make sense to do a conversion and start doing backdoor Roth. You're paying taxes now that you would have paid in retirement when you took distributions from your trad, although the exact rate of taxation varies depending on your top marginal rate, etc. But you're getting the benefit of being able to make tax advantaged contributions to your Roth for the rest of your working life, which may save you far more. So it's not a disaster if you already have a trad IRA and you want to start doing backdoor Roth, it's just a significant tax hit the year you start doing it and you will want to be aware of it and ready to pay, and if you can avoid this situation by not rolling a 401k into a trad IRA, that's for the best.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 21, 2022

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Backdoor related question: if I have a Solo 401k, Solo Roth 401k, and Roth IRA (all vanguard if it matters), is it possible for me to backdoor the Solo401k into the Roth? I haven't been able to find clear information on how or if this even works with a solo 401k. This isn't anything I'd do right now anyway, but I may in the near future have a low income year that presents an opportunity to do so with a lower tax hit, so curious if it is an option.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Xenoborg posted:

What’s the best thing to do with large 401ks when you don’t have a good one to roll into?

My sister and BIL have about 125k each in their 401ks. She just got her first job post medical fellowship and is going to be making 300k+. It has crap 401k options though with 1+ ERs. BIL is becoming a stay at home dad with some hobby income.

I’m loath to just roll them all to traditional IRAs since that would complicate Roth backdoor. The tax hit from converting all would be brutal and would leave them overweight on Roth. They will certainly use up all their tax advantaged space though so any IRA is desirable.

Is traditional IRA and the added tax and complexity worth it?

I’m in this scenario, and I’ve just left my stuff in the old company 401k. I think I end up paying about $10/quarter in management fees, which isn’t too bad, and it just stays there invested in decent funds. If my current one ever gets a sub-1% ER or a 500 index fund or something, I’ll transfer, but for now it’s just one more account.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

G-Hawk posted:

Backdoor related question: if I have a Solo 401k, Solo Roth 401k, and Roth IRA (all vanguard if it matters), is it possible for me to backdoor the Solo401k into the Roth? I haven't been able to find clear information on how or if this even works with a solo 401k. This isn't anything I'd do right now anyway, but I may in the near future have a low income year that presents an opportunity to do so with a lower tax hit, so curious if it is an option.

You generally don't refer to rolling over 401ks as "backdooring" so if you look for that people are going to be confused.

The backdoor is specifically a means of bypassing the income limits on contributing to a Roth IRA by putting money into a Traditional IRA instead, and then immediately rolling it over. E.g., you get your annual IRA contribution into a Roth IRA through a back door labeled "Trad to Roth IRA conversions."

You can roll over a 401k into a traditional IRA (these are both instruments in which you contributed pre-tax dollars, but pay tax on your distributions).
You can roll over a Roth 401k into a Roth IRA (these are both instruments in which you contribute post-tax dollars, but take distributions tax-free).

If you want to get the money from a regular 401k into a Roth, you'll be converting, and paying taxes on the conversion. There's no free lunch here.

If you are willing to pay the taxes, I believe you can roll your 401k into a traditional IRA and then convert the traditional IRA to a Roth IRA.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 21, 2022

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

G-Hawk posted:

Looks like yes:
https://www.solo401k.com/mega-backdoor-roth-ira-solo-401k/

quote:

Once you make the voluntary after-tax contribution, you can either convert those funds “in-plan” to be part of your Roth Solo 401k, or withdraw/rollover those funds to your Roth IRA. The result? Instead of making $6,000 in Roth IRA contributions, you can make up to $57,000 in mega backdoor Roth IRA contributions.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
If I have a few grand each in a few disparate 401ks from my last few jobs, does it behoove me to roll them into the pension plan at my current job? Or the Vanguard (mostly Vanguard ETFs) or Fundrise accounts that I trickle money into on the side for savings?

Trying to take this whole LTIR thing seriously now that I'm in my 30s and earning decent!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Has anyone read a good article on the potential new changes to 401k plans that congress is talking about?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

smackfu posted:

Has anyone read a good article on the potential new changes to 401k plans that congress is talking about?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2022/12/21/401-k-changes-secure-20/

quote:

Here are some of the key proposals for retirement savings.

1 Automatic enrollment

Starting in 2025, most businesses would be required to automatically enroll employees in 401(k) plans. Employers would contribute 3 to 10 percent of their wages. Each year, the contribution would increase by 1 percent until it reaches at least 10 percent, though not more than 15 percent.

Businesses with 10 or fewer employees and businesses that have been open for less than three years would be exempt, along with church and government plans.

2 Saver’s match

For workers earning less than $71,000 per year, the federal government would provide a 50 percent match up to $2,000 in employee cash contributions, meaning the government would provide a maximum of $1,000. That cash would be deposited directly into the retirement accounts. Under current law, the matching program is a tax credit — but that doesn’t help lower-earning workers who don’t owe taxes.

“This is a big deal,” Hansen said. “It will help current savers save more and bring newer people in the system, knowing there is government match.”

3 Emergency expense withdrawals

Early withdrawals from a 401(k) typically come with a 10 percent tax. Under the new proposal, a person would be able to make one penalty-free withdrawal for unexpected or immediate expenses arising from family or personal needs. One withdrawal of up to $1,000 would be allowed per year if the amount was repaid. If it was not, another withdrawal could not be made for three years.

The restrictions would be in place to prevent abuses such as someone putting money into their retirement account to receive matches and immediately withdrawing money, Hansen said.

4 Emergency savings

Nearly half of Americans would struggle to cover an unexpected $400 expense, and nearly 60 percent of people with retirement accounts and no emergency savings have tapped into those long-term savings, according to the Senate Finance Committee. A study cited by the committee showed that at least a month of emergency savings could make a difference.

The proposed changes would give employers the option of offering their lower-paid employees a savings account linked to their long-term retirement plans. Employers could also automatically opt employees into the savings accounts, contributing no more than 3 percent of the employee’s salary. The account would be capped at $2,500, and additional money would be routed into the retirement account.

5 Part-time worker enrollment

Current law says that part-time employees can have a 401(k) plan if they work with their employer for one year with 1,000 hours of service, or three consecutive years with at least 500 hours of service annually. The new law would reduce that three-year period to two years for eligibility.

6 Mandatory distributions

Under current law, people with 401(k) plans must take out money from their accounts starting at 72, to ensure people use the money rather than pass it down through their estates. The new proposal would increase that mandatory age to 73 starting in 2023 and then 75 starting in 2033.

Raising the age for required withdrawals lowers the risk of “depleting a retirement account to prior to death,” Hansen said.

7 Student loan matching

People strapped with student debt may not be able to afford to put money in retirement accounts, causing them to miss out on employers’ matching contributions. Under the proposed law, employers could choose to make contributions to retirement accounts based on an employee’s student loan payments.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That "you are going to automatically get 10-15% of your wages garnished for retirement" thing is going to gently caress low earners. They should have forced the companies to pay the money in addition to their normal wages, otherwise nobody is getting raises to compensate.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
They're just changing the defaults, employees can still do whatever.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

KillHour posted:

That "you are going to automatically get 10-15% of your wages garnished for retirement" thing is going to gently caress low earners. They should have forced the companies to pay the money in addition to their normal wages, otherwise nobody is getting raises to compensate.

Presumably the auto-enrollment and contribution percentage is a default that can be overridden, just like many 401ks have default funds they'll put your contributions into if you don't choose.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

They're just changing the defaults, employees can still do whatever.

Also existing plans don’t have to do it at all, so it will take effect very slowly.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Seems slightly better than today's system, we'll see if anything actually goes through.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I pulled the trigger on my GF loss harvest and need to do the reinvest. Question about the reinvestment, Sold VTSAX and VFIAX and I basically see these options:

VTSAX -> VFIAX (or VOO)
or
80% VFIAX & 20% VEXAX for total match

VTIAX -> VFWAX (or VEU)
or
90% VEU & 10% VSS
or
75% VEA & 25% VWO

The additional splits give better coverage of the whole market but ultimately is just more rebalance work for me (which is fine I suppose).

Also it looks like you can get fractional ETF shares now at Vanguard, does that mean you can do auto investments in the ETFs?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

KillHour posted:

Even if "the company has to pay the difference" the distribution of the costs won't necessarily be to the employer.

Many taxes that are statutorily placed on a supplier, the tax incidence actually is born by the consumer. It has to do with the price sensitivity of demand (for jobs).

The way our system is rigged means that the cost to a person for not having a job is much higher than the cost to an employer for not filling a position, so you'd expect, regardless of where they say who has to pay, the burden will fall on the employee.

the exception would be people affected by minimum wage laws, since there's little (though some) flexibility there.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Wow, a 50% match up to $2000 is a huge cash contribution from the government. Sounds like a good thing, but also sounds massively expensive and thus doomed to not pass (also, if the government has trillions of dollars a year to pour into private 401ks, maybe it should put that into social security instead).

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Is the backdoor Roth safe for now? It was intermittently on the chopping block for some of these retirement plan overhauls, I think?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Is the backdoor Roth safe for now? It was intermittently on the chopping block for some of these retirement plan overhauls, I think?

looks safe https://smartasset.com/retirement/backdoor-roth-ira-preservation

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

smackfu posted:

From Morningstar:

"The Retirement Savings for Americans Act 2022"
A big idea, and a bipartisan one at that.

by John Rekenthaler
22 Dec 2022 11:41

The 401(k) structure has three clear and obvious flaws. First, it is not universal. Thirty-six percent of American workers lack access to 401(k) plans, or their equivalent. Second, the accounts are not portable. That’s a severe flaw, given that from ages 18 to 54, American workers on average have 12 different employers. Third, many 401(k) plans require participant action. That does not sound like much of an impediment, but people often freeze when asked to make investment decisions.

In addition, there is a fourth, less-discussed problem: inefficiency. With the exception of businesses that participate in Multiple Employer Plans, each 401(k) sponsor must construct its own plan rather than use another’s. Given that the United States contains 600,000 401(k) plans, this makes for a great deal of duplicated effort—requests for proposals, hearings, and documentation.

Any truly ambitious proposition to improve the 401(k) structure must address at least the initial three issues, and ideally also the fourth. In 2020, I offered such a recommendation, in an article entitled “The New American Retirement Plan.” That column advocated that the nation possess a single 401(k) plan run by the federal government. Rather than be the plans’ primary sponsors, as they are today, employers would have no role save to connect workers with the system.

The proposal, I acknowledged, was unrealistic. “Congress will almost certainly not” advance bold retirement-planning legislation, I wrote, given its “current inability to craft broad bipartisan legislation.” As a result, anything resembling a national plan is “politically unfeasible.”

The New Bill
Wrong again! So much for my political prognostications. To my surprise and delight, Congress earlier this month introduced the Retirement Savings for Americans Act of 2022, which advances the idea of a national 401(k) plan. What’s more, the bill carries both bipartisan and bicameral support, as it is backed in the Senate by Democrat John Hickenlooper and Republican Thom Tillis, and in the House by Democrat Terri Sewell and Republican Lloyd Smucker.

To be sure, the act is less sweeping than my suggestion. Rather than replace the existing system, it would supplement it, by installing the “American Worker Retirement Plan” in all companies that lack acceptable 401(k) plans. The AWRP also lacks the full power of the 401(k) structure. Its contribution limit is a modest $6,000; it cannot be used by higher-income employees; and it does not provide an immediate tax benefit, as it is structured like a Roth IRA.

Key Features
That said, some aspects of the act go even further than I had proposed. The legislation is not shy. Here are its key characteristics.

1) A single plan.—AWRP’s investment options would resemble those of the federal government’s Thrift Savings Plan. It would contain 1) a government bond fund, 2) a stable-value fund, 3) a large-company U.S. stock fund, 4) a small-company U.S. stock fund, 5) an international-stock fund, and 6) target-date funds. The assets would be indexed.

AWRP accounts would be portable among companies within the system. They also could be rolled into either an existing Roth IRA or a Roth 401(k) plan.

2) Automatic enrollment.—Eligible participants would be automatically enrolled in AWRP at a 3% contribution rate. As with most 401(k) automatic-enrollment programs, employees who do not select their own investment options would be slotted into an age-appropriate target-date fund. AWRP also echoes existing automatic-enrollment programs by permitting unwilling workers to opt out at any time.

3) Tax credit.—So far, the AWRP resembles my New American Retirement Plan proposal. But it also contains several features that I had not considered.

One is the AWRP’s version of a company match. Mandating that companies put their own moneys into AWRP is a political nonstarter. So, too, would be directly using government funds to bankroll a match. But AWRP’s creators found a method that might appeal to both parties: tax credits! Participants could receive up to a 5% refundable government match tax credit designed to mimic a 401(k) employer match. This would include an automatic 1% contribution as long as the participant remained employed, and a matching contribution equal to 100% on the first 3% of their contribution rate and 50% on the next 2%. The bill also specifies that only low- and moderate-income workers would be eligible for the credit.

Whether this arrangement will survive after the CBO calculates its estimate of forgone tax revenue is another matter. But it scores points for ambition.

4) Income and contribution limits.—AWRP is intended for lower- to middle-income workers, not corporate executives. Consequently, it excludes highly compensated workers, as defined by the IRS. The program’s annual contribution limit, as previously mentioned, is the Roth IRA maximum of $6,000. However, AWRP does permit higher contributions for employees over the age of 50, per the IRS’ catch-up provisions.

5) Payout options.—The bill’s proponents also got creative with AWRP’s distribution options. Besides requesting 1) a lump sum, as with 401(k) plans, retirees can also use their assets to 2) buy an immediate annuity or 3) establish a fixed annual withdrawal schedule. They may also blend those three choices, in any combination.

The Future?
Having flopped almost entirely with my last effort, I will avoid making a political forecast this time around, other than to note that while marshaling bipartisan and bicameral support is encouraging, the bill does carry the drawback of costing the federal government money. Even if the matching tax credit is excised, the legislation would forfeit substantial future IRS receipts by generating much higher Roth IRA participation. That prospect will not please fiscal conservatives.

Should the proposal advance, hard questions will also be asked about its practical effects. As my Morningstar colleague Aron Szapiro points out, AWRP’s existence would in some cases discourage companies from starting their own retirement plans, since they could painlessly use the government’s version. Such decisions would squeeze employees who hope to contribute more than AWRP’s $6,000 annual limit. They would also prevent such workers from enjoying a 401(k) plan’s immediate tax benefit. (In response, the bill’s authors state that they believe that the crowd-out problem would be modest because of how they have designed their plan.)

But those, so to speak, are problems of prosperity. May the discussion for the Retirement Savings for Americans Act reach that level. That alone would be a victory.

Here and Now
More modestly, but still meaningfully, Congress has recently updated the Secure Act, which was initially passed in 2019. Unlike the Retirement Savings for America Act, which stakes out new ground, the Secure Act enhances existing programs. Among other items, the new version of the Secure Act would further raise the mandatory starting age for required minimum distributions, halve the penalty for missing an RMD, and standardize the 401(k) rollover process.

All useful items, if less exciting for a columnist than a ground-up proposal. Further details may be found here.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

drk posted:

Wow, a 50% match up to $2000 is a huge cash contribution from the government. Sounds like a good thing, but also sounds massively expensive and thus doomed to not pass (also, if the government has trillions of dollars a year to pour into private 401ks, maybe it should put that into social security instead).

It is not that much money. Here's a CBO read on it. Estimates are about 90 million in cash outlays per year.

First of all, it's only up to $1,000 for an individual max, and to hit that max they have to contribute $2K to their 401(k). Then, it's means tested so you only get the money if you made less than $71k in MAGI. You have to keep in mind that most people not making much money do not save for retirement. $2K on less than $71K gross is a lot of money.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

If $90M is the real number it seems like they would be spending an awful lot of effort to set up the recordkeeping, calculations, and direct depositing to only benefit <0.5% of wage earners.

I.e. $90M / $1,000 = 90,000 people at $1,000 each, would be 0.075% of the 120M wage earners in the US

Edit: From the link, the actual credit would cost $2.1b per year starting 2027, and that's the net additional amount compared to the current Saver's credit.

esquilax fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 22, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You're on a very affluent and financially literate forum here where people are interested in saving for retirement, have the means to do so, and are really in to minmaxing because of :spergin:

Many people do not have access to a 401(k) and they're disproportionately low income earners. So not all low income earners can benefit. Then, in order to access the matching money, you have to contribute to that 401(k). Lower income earners are less likely to enroll in their 401(k), and are likely to contribute smaller amounts of money.

$1,000 is the max benefit. Most people will likely not get the maximum benefit. I think you're also overstating the effort in setting up record keeping. 401(k) contributions are already reported to the federal government.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You're on a very affluent and financially literate forum here where people are interested in saving for retirement, have the means to do so, and are really in to minmaxing because of :spergin:

Many people do not have access to a 401(k) and they're disproportionately low income earners. So not all low income earners can benefit. Then, in order to access the matching money, you have to contribute to that 401(k). Lower income earners are less likely to enroll in their 401(k), and are likely to contribute smaller amounts of money.

$1,000 is the max benefit. Most people will likely not get the maximum benefit. I think you're also overstating the effort in setting up record keeping. 401(k) contributions are already reported to the federal government.

OK but you looked at the wrong number and were off by at least an order of magnitude, probably 2

From the link, the actual credit would cost $2.1b per year starting 2027, and that's the net additional amount compared to the current Saver's credit (which already costs an amount of money I can't find)

We're looking at section 102 right? I'm not the one missing something am I?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah I misread that. Section 102 claims 9.5 billion over 10 years, so 950 mil a year.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 22, 2022

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There is no such thing as a personal 401(k).

edit: in the interest of being absolutely technically correct for the thread: there is such thing as a an Individual or Solo 401(k), which you can set up if you are self-employed or have a business with no employees. Individual 401(k)s are irrelevant for the vast majority of people and they are tied to your self-employment or eligible business earnings.

Roth 401k ? That’s what I’m referencing.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

spwrozek posted:

I pulled the trigger on my GF loss harvest and need to do the reinvest. Question about the reinvestment, Sold VTSAX and VFIAX and I basically see these options:

VTSAX -> VFIAX (or VOO)
or
80% VFIAX & 20% VEXAX for total match

VTIAX -> VFWAX (or VEU)
or
90% VEU & 10% VSS
or
75% VEA & 25% VWO

The additional splits give better coverage of the whole market but ultimately is just more rebalance work for me (which is fine I suppose).

Also it looks like you can get fractional ETF shares now at Vanguard, does that mean you can do auto investments in the ETFs?

The fund options make sense. My preference is to not overthink it and just go with one fund, and given the current market I've thus far always been able to switch back to my preferred funds pretty quickly. However, it's always possible that the next TLH opportunity to switch back won't happen for a long time, so it's better to switch to funds you'd be comfortable holding long-term. If for you that means multiple funds for the closest correlation, so be it.

Also, when TLHing with mutual funds, it's ideal to do an exchange instead of a sell and buy, so that you don't lose any time in the market and introduce the risk of a big swing while you're out. Of course, that's not possible if you're planning to switch to ETFs instead.

And yeah, Vanguard added support for fractional ETF shares recently. They still don't support auto-investing in them, and I doubt they will any time soon considering AFAIK Fidelity still doesn't support that either.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Duckman2008 posted:

Roth 401k ? That’s what I’m referencing.

Don't those still need to be opened through an employer?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Unsinkabear posted:

Don't those still need to be opened through an employer?

Correct, your employer has to offer it

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Wait what ? I have a personal Roth vanguard 401k that I opened under my name, no association with my employer , that I contribute up to $6000 a year post tax to.

That is what I am referring to.

What am I doing wrong on explaining this ?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Duckman2008 posted:

Wait what ? I have a personal Roth vanguard 401k that I opened under my name, no association with my employer , that I contribute up to $6000 a year post tax to.

I don’t think it’s a 401k, it’s just a personal Roth IRA.

I could be wrong but I think 401k means employer sponsored, to have a “personal” one you must be a self employed business owner.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
401k? IRA? They're all the same space! Doesn't anyone notice this?! I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The Four Horsemen of the Retirement Terminology Apocalypse are

R.O.T.H I.R.A.
Personal 401k
Spousal IRA
Gift Tax

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

you're either self employed or you are really bad at understanding that it's actually an IRA it's the latter

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you're either self employed or you are really bad at understanding that it's actually an IRA it's the latter

A. The answer is always I’m really bad at it and B. The latter is what it is.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

runawayturtles posted:

The fund options make sense. My preference is to not overthink it and just go with one fund, and given the current market I've thus far always been able to switch back to my preferred funds pretty quickly. However, it's always possible that the next TLH opportunity to switch back won't happen for a long time, so it's better to switch to funds you'd be comfortable holding long-term. If for you that means multiple funds for the closest correlation, so be it.

Also, when TLHing with mutual funds, it's ideal to do an exchange instead of a sell and buy, so that you don't lose any time in the market and introduce the risk of a big swing while you're out. Of course, that's not possible if you're planning to switch to ETFs instead.

And yeah, Vanguard added support for fractional ETF shares recently. They still don't support auto-investing in them, and I doubt they will any time soon considering AFAIK Fidelity still doesn't support that either.

Thanks. I ended up doing the 4 funds. I don't mind a little extra work and maybe i will be able to get it switched back over again next year. TBD.

Also i calculated out all the wash sale info and that was completely pointless as vanguard does it automatically showing the wash portion and adding the basis in as well. So that is cool. Also i did calc it right from all the help i got up thread so thanks!

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Duckman2008 posted:

A. The answer is always I’m really bad at it and B. The latter is what it is.

I really hope you haven't been contributing the 401k max instead of the IRA max somehow

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Unsinkabear posted:

I really hope you haven't been contributing the 401k max instead of the IRA max somehow

Lol thank you, I’m just obviously bad at describing this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
god, the day i figured out an after tax/non-deductible ira contribution was something completely different from a roth ira contribution blew my loving mind. when you step back from it, the layers of different tax advantaged rules really are just a crock of poo poo. i get a perverse pleasure from learning about this stuff, and after years of reading about it, listening to podcasts about it, and talking on forums about it, i'm still finding new nuances i didn't know. i can't imagine how your average joe is supposed to parse all of this poo poo