Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
no, not the street signs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cerebral Bore posted:

one could ask how, given that the city is supposed to be in ruins, there are still tens of thousands of homes to demolish

when big israel sees a bunch of russian houses they get really excited about demolitions, just kind of jump the gun

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Rutibex posted:

:ohdear:
oh no not fascist symbology in the US Congress

the use of fasces in us iconography predates the existence of fascism, you are committing anachronism

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Ardennes posted:

Admittedly, there those who are able to "make the jump", there is a reason so much property in London is owned by Russians and so many people in Moscow desire a ridiculous accent in the "Queen's English." It is usually I never found them to be very happy, I guess you shouldn't meet your gods.

Pari shōkōgun-rear end syndrome

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

there's more than one Papist on this forum

avignon papacy back in business, baby

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

the use of fasces in us iconography predates the existence of fascism, you are committing anachronism

Given that fascist cribbed off the US, technically the US is the proto-fascist state and therefore it always existed through the US! :pseudo:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

lobster shirt posted:

yeah hitler got all of his ideas from america not ancient rome

yunichel
Apr 27, 2010
Aren't both Washington and fascist iconography cribbing off ancient Rome

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

yunichel posted:

when you want to conquer and enslave everyone you stick to the classic symbols

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
What I find funny about the evil empire accusation is that very clear mass murder was very much how the UK and the US operate, but it really doesn’t matter. The moral politics are simply a distraction.

The issue is people getting side tracked into thinking they do when the people who most often bring it up absolutely don’t care when their side (the West) does the same and often worse. It is from their perspective simply about power.

(I would also argue that the eventual continuity of civilization is on the line as well but there does seem to be a bit of suicidal nihilism at play as well.)

———

In the case of modern Russia, I would say the issue is people simply don’t know what they are really doing and where to go. Both Western looking liberal and Russian nationalists are trapped in a situation where the best they can hope for is an devolving liberal state, with the liberals demanding only further acceleration.

———

Also, as far a de-Stalinization went you could have easily moved away from the cult of personality without the self-destructive choices Khrushchev was making. The problem is he was working from a position that was inherently self-destructive but was seemingly compulsive.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 17:16 on Dec 22, 2022

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

yunichel posted:

the founding fathers did tons of Rome cosplay… the society of cincinnatus,the complete and utter destruction of a race, used Latin in everything blah blah

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

It's a photoshop. First the fake ban message, now this, what else will the media literacy thread jump on without bothering to check? :v:

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Leandros posted:

It's a photoshop. First the fake ban message, now this, what else will the media literacy thread jump on without bothering to check? :v:

how do we know that this isn't the image that is photoshopped?

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Leandros posted:

It's not photoshopped, it's been flipped to make the SS more legible. Looks like it's supposed to be something in Ukrainian.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ardennes posted:

In the case of modern Russia, I would say the issue is people simply don’t know what they are really doing and where to go. Both Western looking liberal and Russian nationalists are trapped in a situation where the best they can hope for is an devolving liberal state, with the liberals demanding only further acceleration.
putin seems like a bonapartist figure, which is what zyuganov called him when he came to power. he's everything and nothing. one minute he's building a monument to fidel castro and then the next he's meeting with descendants of the romanovs.

Ardennes posted:

Also, as far a de-Stalinization went you could have easily moved away from the cult of personality without the self-destructive choices Khrushchev was making. The problem is he was working from a position that was inherently suicidal.
he made a lot of impulsive decisions. but today, the people i've run across who are really invested in stalin often sound like grover furr, whose hagiographies are more like the kinda books that conservative catholics write about christopher columbus being slandered.

part of the problem with this, is that it's a pretty un-marxist way of thinking about history, more in common with "great man" theories, which is a shame because i think that'll also distort people's ability to rationally understand events as they are occuring right now, or make predictions about where things are headed. and even back then, people got so used to essentially worshipping stalin that they totally abandoned marxism when stuff that was pretty obvious came out because they believed it had "blinded" them.

or this kinda "history" exists as the opposite of the "stalin as evil" books. it basically accepts the argument that if stalin did those things, then he'd be evil or insane, and since he wasn't those things, he didn't do the thing. but it's possible there were rational (if cynical) reasons for doing things that seem highly irrational or inexplicable (or "evil") from the perspective of someone standing here, right now, in 2022. or it might not be possible to be the leader of a country like the USSR, particularly at that time, without doing things that run up against the limits of "morality" particularly from the perspective of a guy who grew up in what was basically a feudal society under the tsarist yoke where people were hanged for just looking at somebody funny.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

You're welcome to find the ratio of photos featuring the additional 4 to ones not featuring it: https://www.google.com/search?q=zelensky+pelosi+flag

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Leandros posted:

check the words “to the house”. notice how one is reverse and the other isn’t? why do you think that is

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Not So Fast posted:

It's not photoshopped, it's been flipped to make the SS more legible. Looks like it's supposed to be something in Ukrainian.

By photoshopped I mean it's been altered to change what is on the flag, not flipped. Does this help make it more clear?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Leandros posted:

Leandros posted:

You're welcome to find the ratio of photos featuring the additional 4 to ones not featuring it: https://www.google.com/search?q=zelensky+pelosi+flag

dont care + youre gay

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

oh whoops dutch poster, shall not be engaging anymore

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Not So Fast posted:

It's not photoshopped,

It might not be edited with Adobe Photoshop. Maybe they used MS Paint or PowerPoint.

Who can say whether the edited image was photoshopped or not?

No one doctored the image. Maybe it was seen by a nurse or physician's assistant instead?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

I think the question of whether the flag was photoshopped or not is of secondary importance and a distraction from the real question of whether Ukraine is the sort of country that would write a hate symbol on their own flag to which the answer is unequivocally yes.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Russians photoshopped the image

To demonstrate that they could photoshop other images also

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gradenko_2000 posted:

there's more than one Austerity Papist on this forum

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the ukrainians photoshopped it

but like, not in a nazi way, they just really like the little stylized SS of the US Marine Scout Snipers, pure coincidence

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Starsfan posted:

I think the question of whether the flag was photoshopped or not is of secondary importance and a distraction from the real question of whether Ukraine is the sort of country that would write a hate symbol on their own flag to which the answer is unequivocally yes.

You can make that point without stooping to the level of propagating easily disproven content though, probably helps your cause in the long run too :)

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
speaking of this trad polytheism, FF what are your takeaway from the books about the rebirth of slavic paganism in ukraine? That specific branch of IE religion gets overlooked in favor of norse heathenry/greco-roman revivals or more crunchy new agey types like wicca.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Leandros posted:

You can make that point without stooping to the level of propagating easily disproven content though, probably helps your cause in the long run too :)

I don't think anything I post in any part of this forum can help "my cause" whatever the hell that means.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

putin seems like a bonapartist figure, which is what zyuganov called him when he came to power. he's everything and nothing. one minute he's building a monument to fidel castro and then the next he's meeting with descendants of the romanovs.

I would say also there is an additional indecision there: is the West supposed to be idealized or opposed as apart of this Bonaparte-esque regime? In some ways the choice is already being made for Putin, but there is a clear awkwardness of retaining if not idolizing the culture of an enemy that your fighting and who genuinely wants to ruin your country.

quote:

he made a lot of impulsive decisions. but today, the people i've run across who are really invested in stalin often sound like grover furr, whose hagiographies are more like the kinda books that conservative catholics write about christopher columbus being slandered.

part of the problem with this, is that it's a pretty un-marxist way of thinking about history, more in common with "great man" theories, which is a shame because i think that'll also distort people's ability to rationally understand events as they are occuring right now, or make predictions about where things are headed. and even back then, people got so used to essentially worshipping stalin that they totally abandoned marxism when stuff that was pretty obvious came out because they believed it had "blinded" them.

or this kinda "history" exists as the opposite of the "stalin as evil" books. it basically accepts the argument that if stalin did those things, then he'd be evil or insane, and since he wasn't those things, he didn't do the thing. but it's possible there were rational (if cynical) reasons for doing things that seem highly irrational or inexplicable (or "evil") from the perspective of someone standing here, right now, in 2022. or it might not be possible to be the leader of a country like the USSR, particularly at that time, without doing things that run up against the limits of "morality" particularly from the perspective of a guy who grew up in what was basically a feudal society under the tsarist yoke where people were hanged for just looking at somebody funny.

I would say the issue is more of a "great man" problem in the first place. Obviously, Stalin as an individual had an unique-effect on the Soviet Union, but how much did he actually matter?

Would the First five-year plan probably still happen? (Yes, it was already part of an inter-party debate at the same)
Would collectivization as happen as well? (Probably, also part of the same debate at the time)
Would most of the deaths of the Famine happen? (Yeah probably, you can't change the climate and industry was going to be prioritized)
How about the Purge? (considering the rest that was going to happen, I think there was also going to be an inter-party meltdown, but it may have ended up more as an inter-party civil war than how it occured)

The problem is taking the "evil sorcerer" narrative and flipping it around when the answer is just that the issues facing the Soviet Union were in fact much larger than even Stalin himself, and for the most part were honestly structural. If Trotsky had won out would have most of the same beats happen? In fact they probably would have. I do think industrializing the Soviet Union was going to be a costly process that one way or the other was going to laid on the back of the peasantry and no I don't think the Stolypin plan would have made a difference.

I would say Krushchev was actually different in the sense something like the degree of de-Stalinization and the secret speech were up to him more as an individual. The natural course would have just sort of cover up Stalin and move on with the Cold War ,but he really wanted a thaw with the West and it cost him severely.

It a question isn't evil or not evil, but I actually think Stalin wasn't that much of an aberration for the CPSU while Krushchev was. Brezhnev was a return to "normality" but he clearly was a rather mediocre leader that was much more interested in his own personal comfort and eventually you ended but with the a true weak link in the form of Gorbachev.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ardennes posted:

I would say also there is an additional indecision there: is the West supposed to be idealized or opposed as apart of this Bonaparte-esque regime? In some ways the choice is already being made for Putin, but there is a clear awkwardness of retaining if not idolizing the culture of an enemy that your fighting and who genuinely wants to ruin your country.

I would say the issue is more of a "great man" problem in the first place. Obviously, Stalin as an individual had an unique-effect on the Soviet Union, but how much did he actually matter?

Would the First five-year plan probably still happen? (Yes, it was already part of an inter-party debate at the same)
Would collectivization as happen as well? (Probably, also part of the same debate at the time)
Would most of the deaths of the Famine happen? (Yeah probably, you can't change the climate and industry was going to be prioritized)
How about the Purge? (considering the rest that was going to happen, I think there was also going to be an inter-party meltdown, but it may have ended up more as an inter-party civil war than how it occured)

The problem is taking the "evil sorcerer" narrative and flipping it around when the answer is just that the issues facing the Soviet Union were in fact much larger than even Stalin himself, and for the most part were honestly structural. If Trotsky had won out would have most of the same beats happen? In fact they probably would have. I do think industrializing the Soviet Union was going to be a costly process that one way or the other was going to laid on the back of the peasantry and no I don't think the Stolypin plan would have made a difference.

I would say Krushchev was actually different in the sense something like the degree of de-Stalinization and the secret speech were up to him more as an individual. The natural course would have just sort of cover up Stalin and move on with the Cold War ,but he really wanted a thaw with the West and it cost him severely.

It a question isn't evil or not evil, but I actually think Stalin wasn't that much of an aberration for the CPSU while Krushchev was. Brezhnev was a return to "normality" but he clearly was a rather mediocre leader that was much more interested in his own personal comfort and eventually you ended but with the a true weak link in the form of Gorbachev.
Lmfao ok

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
Trotsky was also pretty sexy actually... maybe in another time, another place, he could have also hosed my wife. But right now we just have Zelensky to handle that sort of thing, and Personally I'm OK with htat

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Lmfao ok

As far as Trotsky goes he was pushing for industrialization and the consolidation of agriculture earlier than Stalin. He just alienated large parts of the Central Committee and made a mess. I guess you could argue that he wasn't strong enough of a leader for it to happen, but I don't think for example Mikoyan or Ordzhonikidze would have strayed far from the path the party was already taking.

The point being there was an emerging party consensus that was greater than individual members even Stalin.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 18:09 on Dec 22, 2022

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iCe-CuBe. posted:

Trotsky was also pretty sexy actually... maybe in another time, another place, he could have also hosed my wife. But right now we just have Zelensky to handle that sort of thing, and Personally I'm OK with htat

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Gorbachev is interesting because he was probably the last person in the USSR who still thought communism was possible if they reformed hard enough. Oops

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

Gorbachev is interesting because he was probably the last person in the USSR who still thought communism was possible if they reformed hard enough. Oops

Didn't he admit he'd always wanted social democracy or was that just him trying to improve his image while doing Louis Vuitton ads?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

Eh, he was already pushing for social democracy by 1990, I don't think he was a true believer in the party but I also think he was truly naive in how he viewed the development of social systems in the West.

I don't think he was an actual traitor (like Yeltsin) but he had betrayed the core values of the party. I just don't think it was out of malice but that he just wasn't that bright and was surrounded by people who only wanted to "experiment" for their own gain in particular Yavlinsky.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

SplitSoul posted:

Didn't he admit he'd always wanted social democracy or was that just him trying to improve his image while doing Louis Vuitton ads?

That's him trying to paint himself as a clever dude instead of a total dipshit. Every time there was a crisis in the USSR he'd hide away and read lemon to try and find a solution in the sacred texts. He was, at least at first, a totally committed Leninist. People around him like Yakovlev definitely just wanted to burn it all down though

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I've recommended it before, maybe even in this thread but Zubok's book on the collapse of the USSR is very good. It's called Collapse.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

iCe-CuBe. posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Read :lemonho: