Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

OP's a grown up and can clarify for themselves, but my understanding is they mean something more like this version of Mamzelle Kennedy or this amazing but very long medley. Where you start off with minimalist instrumentation and keep adding more as the tune builds. (The repetition in those links isn't minimalism. Just a lot of trad tunes are 16 bars long or so and it's normal to play them several times in a row.)

I'm piggy-backing on OP because it's a huge chunk of trad music, to the point of being the default, and I have no idea what it's called either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Xiahou Dun posted:

OP's a grown up and can clarify for themselves, but my understanding is they mean something more like this version of Mamzelle Kennedy or this amazing but very long medley. Where you start off with minimalist instrumentation and keep adding more as the tune builds. (The repetition in those links isn't minimalism. Just a lot of trad tunes are 16 bars long or so and it's normal to play them several times in a row.)

I'm piggy-backing on OP because it's a huge chunk of trad music, to the point of being the default, and I have no idea what it's called either.

Fair enough!

Upon reading your post the word "madrigal" popped into my head, I guess from half-remembered Music History college course lectures. From what I remember it's basically like a single vocalist sings a phrase, then repeats it with a second vocalist's counter-melody added, then another adds on, then another, etc. The song "We Don't Talk About Bruno" culminates in a madrigal (a nod to the family's last name)

That being said, after skimming the wikipedia article it doesn't really say much about repetition. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madrigal and that's about as much research as I can do on this topic right now!

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

if you do it w/ a 303 and a sampler its called acid house

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

timp posted:

Fair enough!

Upon reading your post the word "madrigal" popped into my head, I guess from half-remembered Music History college course lectures. From what I remember it's basically like a single vocalist sings a phrase, then repeats it with a second vocalist's counter-melody added, then another adds on, then another, etc. The song "We Don't Talk About Bruno" culminates in a madrigal (a nod to the family's last name)

That being said, after skimming the wikipedia article it doesn't really say much about repetition. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madrigal and that's about as much research as I can do on this topic right now!

We have a national Madrigal group, so I know this somewhat. Never really gave their music a try but now that you brought it up it's pretty neat. Minimalist music is not quite what I was looking for, but now I'm interested in it too. Just hearing other examples is good enough! I first thought about it when I came across some video about corporate music (just make a trite chord progression and add more and more instruments for that faux inspirational sound).

As for an actual example on my end it's this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=229J3T6DXA0

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Oh man, it's been... A Minute since I've done a setup on my Floyd Rose 7-String, does anyone have a link to a good reference on the procedure? I know Floyd's can be an absolute loving nightmare to set up if you go about it the wrong way but I seem to recall there's a way to do it that minimizes the pain points significantly.

EDIT: Also, is there like, a Discord or something for the subforum? Would be nice for some of the extra small questions here that I don't necessarily want to poo poo up the thread with.

InternetOfTwinks fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 28, 2022

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Lily Catts posted:

Is there a term for when a song has one instrument performing an ostinato at the start, and another one joins, and another one, until everything ties together (bonus points if it ends with the same instrument it started with)? I want to say it's a structure thing but my music vocab is limited.

I'd say it depends on the period and genre. what you've described could apply to works of renaissance polyphony, fugues, counterpoint, theme and variations, minimalism, post-minimalism, lots of pop and jazz, etc

you can also narrow it down by specifying the relationship of the other voices to the primary ostinato. i.e. how rounds or fugues, or other contrapuntal forms are defined

webcams for christ fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 28, 2022

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

InternetOfTwinks posted:

EDIT: Also, is there like, a Discord or something for the subforum? Would be nice for some of the extra small questions here that I don't necessarily want to poo poo up the thread with.

https://discord.gg/tT7UQRnz

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Does anyone have advice for how to transcribe music that you're listening to? I wanted to make a variation on the "you got shot down" sting from Starfox for the SNES, but I cannot for the life of me get the notes right. I'm pretty sure the first two are G and D, but nothing I follow it up with sounds right.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Probably a better way to do it, but I just experiment until I find it. I think yours is G, D, C#, Ab.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Does anyone have advice for how to transcribe music that you're listening to? I wanted to make a variation on the "you got shot down" sting from Starfox for the SNES, but I cannot for the life of me get the notes right. I'm pretty sure the first two are G and D, but nothing I follow it up with sounds right.

Interval training. :(:

Now if you mean good ways to do that :shrug: I tried one of those apps but it didn't actually seem to help any more than just practicing more. I can say at least that as you get better the flailing gets less annoying : in the beginning you're basically deciding between every note, but every time you get better at dividing it (Octaves> 5ths > 3rds/4ths, etc.) you get a lot closer. Likewise if you can get the key that's almost half the space taken care of unless there's modal fuckery.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Lester Shy posted:

Probably a better way to do it, but I just experiment until I find it. I think yours is G, D, C#, Ab.

Thanks, you're right, and my issue was that I had the third note way lower than it was supposed to be.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Interval training. :(:

Now if you mean good ways to do that :shrug: I tried one of those apps but it didn't actually seem to help any more than just practicing more. I can say at least that as you get better the flailing gets less annoying : in the beginning you're basically deciding between every note, but every time you get better at dividing it (Octaves> 5ths > 3rds/4ths, etc.) you get a lot closer. Likewise if you can get the key that's almost half the space taken care of unless there's modal fuckery.

Part of my issue probably is that I'm not actively practicing any musical instruments right now. And I never did train from a music theory standpoint, just from a performance standpoint. I'm open to recommendations for resources around training my ear to recognize specific intervals!

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I noodle on a piano until I figure out a thing personally, but it's true that interval training helps a lot

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Hawkperson posted:

I noodle on a piano until I figure out a thing personally, but it's true that interval training helps a lot

:same:

Interval training is because I got sick of that taking forever.

Part of my issue probably is that I'm not actively practicing any musical instruments right now. And I never did train from a music theory standpoint, just from a performance standpoint. I'm open to recommendations for resources around training my ear to recognize specific intervals!

Wish I know for myself, bud. If there's a secret to making me not suck at it, I'm all ears.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

You can open the song in an audio editor, turn on spectrum visualization (sometimes the arrangement's clear enough the notes are, like, right there) and loop tiny chunks of it one after the other. No shame in looping one note until you hit upon it in the piano roll

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Anyone know what this thing is?

I think it's a lap steel, but it isn't exactly guitar like.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

Anyone know what this thing is?

I think it's a lap steel, but it isn't exactly guitar like.

a modern variation of a Kanklės

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Would be nice for some of the extra small questions here that I don't necessarily want to poo poo up the thread with.

Look at this goon who's stuck in 2005 and thinks there's still such a thing as "making GBS threads up the thread".

Frankly I'm enjoying that you stirred up some activity in here again. poo poo away, pal.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Well, if you insist: getting my little brother a whole little synth setup for christmas, Volca Keys + Drum with a Keystep and a tidy little all in one stand for it all. Not sure what to do about mixer/speakers though, think I can score an old Kawai rackmount mixer for cheap off a buddy of mine, but does anyone know a good little speaker setup that can be had? Doesn't need to be full on monitors or anything, but something better than the frankly rear end built-in speakers on the Volcas would definitely send it over the top I think.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

play the song up to the part you want to transcribe. pause it immediately after the first note. sing that note and hold it. play notes on a keyboard until one matches what you’re singing. if you lost the note, back up and try again. once you find it, write it down. repeat for each note.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Hawkperson posted:

I'd call it "bolero style" for lack of a better word (the wiki article for Ravel's Bolero doesn't give the structure a name unfortunately) but I feel like it happens a lot in electronic music so maybe there's a word in that genre?

Whoa, this is spooky because I was just having this conversation with a friend the other night, and Bolero was the quintessential example I used. Racking our brains trying to find the term for 'theme/motif played on one instrument then repeated on others'... 'Round' makes sense, but I feel like back when I took basic music theory classes they definitely used some old-timey ginzo word to describe Bolero, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't 'ostinato', although it very well could have been.

Would I be correct that The Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy also fits this category? That track is a banger.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

How the hell does one go about writing lyrics and vocal melody? I seem to be stuck in this rut where I can get instrumentals to be great but can't seem to put words to match the music. Help!

It's probably not helpful that I'm relatively new to writing music of any sort.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

I know a lot of people will write out the melody line on a piano/synth or whatever, then go back in and figure out the words. That way you have an idea of cadence and structure that can help inform your lyric choices.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I don't think there's one right answer. The singer in my last name had a book full of essentially poems written without any music that he would bring in when we were writing a new song. It worked pretty well, he would just improvise a melody based on the riff and the lyrics. But that was also pretty dumb heavy rock, so it's not like anyone thought less of him for being a cliche or whatever.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Would anybody like to do some charts for me? I'm trying to solidify arrangements for some of the groups I am working with, and there's too much for me to do by hand -- I'd rather give the business to a goon than to fiverr

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Out of curiosity, what are charts?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Usually lead sheets jazz style (chord changes + melody)

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

InternetOfTwinks posted:

I know a lot of people will write out the melody line on a piano/synth or whatever, then go back in and figure out the words. That way you have an idea of cadence and structure that can help inform your lyric choices.

Yep. I almost always have melody before lyrics. Once in a while, I will have the refrain in my head before writing music, but not often. I just record a piano track with the melody line, then reference that isolated track to write lyrics.

My advice for lyrics is to just write something down and record it. I get hung up on trying to write "perfect" lyrics and end up not writing anything. Just write, record and listen. I put working tracks on my phone and listen to them all the time. Go back and rewrite the parts you don't like. And sometimes a "throwaway" lyric line grows on you. You know that you stuck that line there just because it rhymed, but someone else may find that line interesting or meaningful.Do that over & over until it's right.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Probably outing myself as dumb as gently caress with this question, but: I don't really... get chord progressions? Like, I understand the concept and that different progressions create different feelings, but how do I implement that with like, a monophonic bassline? Just play the root in a rhythmically interesting way? Or do I have to play the whole thing, yes every time?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Arpeggios! The notes in a chord don’t all have to be played at the same time. A C-E-G chord over one bar can also be a C-E-G-E arpeggio over one bar.

A 303 with an arpeggiator is a magical thing.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Makes sense, and of course inversions can also be used to add some color to things. I'll have to play around with this arpeggiator and see what I can come up with.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Otis Reddit posted:

Would anybody like to do some charts for me? I'm trying to solidify arrangements for some of the groups I am working with, and there's too much for me to do by hand -- I'd rather give the business to a goon than to fiverr

maybe, pming you for more info!

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
This might be a very stupid question, my music theory is garbage. When I transpose a song from G to F, can I simply play what’s written and remember F# becomes F and B becomes Bb or is the process more complicated?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Thirteen Orphans posted:

This might be a very stupid question, my music theory is garbage. When I transpose a song from G to F, can I simply play what’s written and remember F# becomes F and B becomes Bb or is the process more complicated?

It’s not that but it’s not necessarily more complicated. You have to actually start from the scale of the new key and do it by intervals.

Edit : sudden fear that I’m wrong, so watch out if we’re both corrected. I just have to move where I am on a fretboard so I never have to do it from notes.

Xiahou Dun fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 25, 2022

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Thirteen Orphans posted:

If you're transposing a whole step, you gotta do whole steps everywhere, so F# becomes E and B becomes A. Or you meant G to F#, in which case, yeah, the rest checks out. Just keep the numbers of steps the same, then you're golden. If you play guitar, think of it as shifting everything a fret towards the head.
The thing that would trip you up is writing it down. A half step key change means a lot of extra accidentals (or fewer).

If you decide to keep it in the same mode (so same accidentals) but change the chords and melody one degree down, that's extremely jazz, which is fun but not actually recommended in most cases.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

BonHair posted:

If you're transposing a whole step, you gotta do whole steps everywhere, so F# becomes E and B becomes A. Or you meant G to F#, in which case, yeah, the rest checks out. Just keep the numbers of steps the same, then you're golden. If you play guitar, think of it as shifting everything a fret towards the head.
The thing that would trip you up is writing it down. A half step key change means a lot of extra accidentals (or fewer).

If you decide to keep it in the same mode (so same accidentals) but change the chords and melody one degree down, that's extremely jazz, which is fun but not actually recommended in most cases.

Hmm, I see. I’m trying to learn the Xiao and my flute is in F but the materials are in G and while I’ve been a singer my whole life I can’t read music yet and am trying to figure out how to play all that music that’s in G in F.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 26, 2022

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I can’t help with that but I’m dying to read about how that works. All my solutions immediately involve the word “strings” lol. But gently caress yeah on learning the Chinese flute. Good on you.

But posting cause I have a question : is there a good way to look up random notational symbols besides googling a terrible description or just looking at lists until I find it and then searching? I have no formal training and just keep learning by contact so a sort of staff dictionary would be a treat.

Also jazz is hard.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

I can’t help with that but I’m dying to read about how that works. All my solutions immediately involve the word “strings” lol. But gently caress yeah on learning the Chinese flute. Good on you.

But posting cause I have a question : is there a good way to look up random notational symbols besides googling a terrible description or just looking at lists until I find it and then searching? I have no formal training and just keep learning by contact so a sort of staff dictionary would be a treat.

Also jazz is hard.

it’s not in the wikipedia list?

if not, post a pic and someone here identify it

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Jazz Marimba posted:

it’s not in the wikipedia list?

if not, post a pic and someone here identify it

O it was. The problem is I have to do this frequently and I’m hoping there’s a better way than, say, guessing it’s a variation on the symbol for a slide and poking around there until I find it.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Hmm, I see. I’m trying to learn the Xiao and my flute is in F but the materials are in G and while I’ve been a singer my whole life I can’t read music yet and am trying to figure out how to play all that music that’s in G in F.

Well, in that case, you're in for a slightly harder time, because notation is weird. I'm assuming it's G major, with one sharp/#?
In that case, you want to move everything on the staff one bit down (line to space and vice versa) and change the signature to one flat/b (Bb), which is F major. Any accidentals on the staff stay there I think.
There should also be some automatic converters around nowadays, but I don't have any links.

The other solution is of course to pretend your flute is in fact in G and essentially relearn all the notes on the flute.

Disclaimer: I am not exactly as expert in this stuff, but I'm pretty sure it's correct, even if I had to check how many flats are in F major.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

BonHair posted:

Well, in that case, you're in for a slightly harder time, because notation is weird. I'm assuming it's G major, with one sharp/#?
In that case, you want to move everything on the staff one bit down (line to space and vice versa) and change the signature to one flat/b (Bb), which is F major. Any accidentals on the staff stay there I think.
There should also be some automatic converters around nowadays, but I don't have any links.

The other solution is of course to pretend your flute is in fact in G and essentially relearn all the notes on the flute.

Disclaimer: I am not exactly as expert in this stuff, but I'm pretty sure it's correct, even if I had to check how many flats are in F major.

Cool, good to know. Thank you!