Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
ah yes i have read the "china is a failed state if they can't be first in everything technologically" book

also the western telecom makers also thought china will never surpass them before the mid 2000s too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Regarde Aduck posted:

That whole misunderstanding of technological process as entirely linear so someone behind can never catchup makes sense if you're giant chauvinists that think the Chinese are just inherently worse at tech research

like, even the Whig view of history in the Civilization series understood that a couple of things would happen:

1. as soon as one nation discovered a tech, it would be easier for everyone else to learn it

2. as soon as one nation discovered a tech, they may very well deliberately spread it to all other nations anyway (because of #1), using their first-to-discover advantage to shop around and sell the tech to everyone else for as much other stuff as they can deal for

3. the amount of technical knowhow that's output by a nation can vary from nation-to-nation, and that nations can reorient themselves to produce more or less "Science", such that it's possible to target surges in technical knowhow if one wanted to do so

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Sid Meier's Dialectical Materialism

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
ASML have a monopoly on high end machines but not on the mid-tier machine. All those Japanese camera company Nikon Canon used to dominated the sector. It's more economical for China absorb the mid tier technology first. Canon just announced a lithography joined venture in China.

I may have mentioned this before, semiconductor sanctions are the only US sanctions China almost never respond. Unlike the Xinjiang and particularly EU human right sanctions, Beijing usually countersanction immediately. My theory is that China is are working with a lot of non China companies on the down low and they don't want to bring any US DoC microscope into this area. It's easier to talk to a Taiwanese/Korean on the down low and get his trade craft at a negotiate price secretly than with an American secretly. Let's put it this way, the actual human beings who have labored in these mega semiconductor factories have their own ambitious royalty.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

unwantedplatypus posted:

Sid Meier's Dialectical Materialism

drat straight

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

gonna take a wild guess and say this person probably thinks antisino paranoia is perfectly sane and sensible despite being motivated by literally nothing

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

gonna take a wild guess and say this person probably thinks antisino paranoia is perfectly sane and sensible despite being motivated by literally nothing

quote:

It is interesting to note that tiktok is a Chinese owned company and which has already been banned in Europe and in some US states for being used to manipulate public opinion. And at the very least TikTok is being used like any other social media companies to gather information about it's users, interests, opinions, etc. and monitize those for profit. It isn't very different from political persuasion.

actually there is no conspiracy to foster hate towards China because there are apparently lots of reasons to legitimately hate China

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Are white people being taught to hate themselves?????

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
it's called critical race theory!!!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

no, but they should

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
nobody taught me to hate myself, buddy

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
if anyone feels like posting a lot about the non-CPC parties in China (or a link to a decent English language source) I'd be appreciative. someone did a pretty broad survey post a while ago and there was a long twitter thread from like 2019 that got linked before and I think about those a lot. but it's hard to find good English sources about it

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022

gradenko_2000 posted:

like, even the Whig view of history in the Civilization series understood that a couple of things would happen:

1. as soon as one nation discovered a tech, it would be easier for everyone else to learn it

2. as soon as one nation discovered a tech, they may very well deliberately spread it to all other nations anyway (because of #1), using their first-to-discover advantage to shop around and sell the tech to everyone else for as much other stuff as they can deal for

3. the amount of technical knowhow that's output by a nation can vary from nation-to-nation, and that nations can reorient themselves to produce more or less "Science", such that it's possible to target surges in technical knowhow if one wanted to do so

Yup, checks out.
Those are some of the necessary conditions to beat civ 4 on deity difficulty and standard settings reliably unless you've dedicated thousands upon thousands of hours to perfect your play.

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022
Well that and rapid initial expansion followed by expansion pursued by belligerent means, not surprisingly.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Lol at these insane people
https://twitter.com/L1011D/status/1605390546285236225?s=19

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

he’s right. chinese people didn’t even have cars before communism

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

fart simpson posted:

a bad thing follows a communist revolution? no poo poo sherlokov!

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Lmao

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
5000 years of not running over people with cars RUINED by the communists

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

this is Short Round erasure

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

fart simpson posted:

lol

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

fart simpson posted:

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

China's already got great, world leading brands in a lot of tech.

https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-drones

Best drones - DJI is chinese and they're half this list. The american company Freefly is their competitor at the professional level but DJI probably sells more units than them at that level too.

The thing about Samsung, Sony and TSMC is that they were government sanctioned monopolies that the USA, either government or investors, supported in taking over global markets whereas chinese tech is mostly normal private business and the USA will be at odds with it forever

They way american consumers think 'oh sony/toyota/samsung/LG - that's a good brand' ... it's not going to be so easy for a chinese brand to reach that level. Huawei was getting there, DJI, Alibaba and tiktok

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Samsung/LG are trash.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Samsung/LG are trash.

That supports their point, marketing alone can convince people that garbage is gold

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkGdHPv5BSw

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Samsung/LG are trash.

my new LG oled is nice but WebOS sucks rear end, had to get a Roku

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

LG makes good oled TVs now, I think

every TV is an ad delivery device but the screen itself is nice

korean appliances in the USA are a big mistake tho. my understanding is that neither LG or samsung are easily repaired and if you buy with like bestbuy's insurance thing they just replace the whole unit.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

should kept lucky goldstar

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

My loving LG OLED TV is the most expensive dumbass consumer electronic product I have purchased in my life and is also the first, second and third television I've owned in my life to crap out on me. I can't even bother to get the vertical banding on the last replacement fixed

Piece of poo poo

Kim Jong Un please do the needful

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I have an LG washer and it's been good for about seven years now with no problems. my anecdotal evidence proves that it's good

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Our apartment building has a Maytag dryer with a coin slot that gets jammed. Not sure if this is Samsung's fault specifically but I think it speaks towards the attitude the Chinese government has towards lower class Americans

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

they're called báizuǒ, op

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the house i live in has a samsung fridge where the ice dispenser immediately froze over on day 1 because of a stupid loving design and has literally never worked. i use cube trays now, ussr used a pencil etc

i went through two LG phones in a row that boot-looped on updates and will never buy one again. i replaced those with a samsung galaxy 8 that is now five years old and still perfectly fine. land of contrasts

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
the chaebols seem to have near zero correlation in how good the products of different subsidiaries are but everyone just lets the top level name influence 80% of their evaluation of the products. oh well

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/Mango_Press_/status/1605980640192581633

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

i say swears online posted:

i went through two LG phones in a row that boot-looped on updates and will never buy one again. i replaced those with a samsung galaxy 8 that is now five years old and still perfectly fine. land of contrasts

Good news, LG exited the smartphone business last year.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

GoLambo posted:

lmfao how could you have not seen this coming?

They really thought those sanctions would amount to anything.

My conspiracy brain says they were just trying to leverage China into getting COVID

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I don't know why we are talking about Samsung now. I got a few Samsung phones and 2 fridges and 4 Monitor/TV. One TV went bust but Samsung is cheap so I kept buying.

Panasonic is more reliable. My Panasonic plasma TV lasts forever. That's probably why they are no longer in the TV business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

ikanreed posted:

My conspiracy brain says they were just trying to leverage China into getting COVID

Lol at the idea that we could leverage China into doing anything