Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

psydude posted:

Pentagon confirmed that Ukraine is getting patriots.

For a second I wondered why Ukraine would want j6 insurgents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

RFC2324 posted:

For a second I wondered why Ukraine would want losing teams

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gotta make the Russian offensive deflate

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

Pentagon confirmed that Ukraine is getting patriots.

Small Correction: Patriot, singular. I assume as some test / proof of concept thing to see how feasible it all is.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

It is truly an incredible thing to see the US DoD order 50,000 grad rockets into production in 2022

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

RFC2324 posted:

For a second I wondered why Ukraine would want j6 insurgents

hey, we don't want them around, and shipping dissidents to russia is a time-honored strategy to get them to disengage from a war

ready the sealed trains, we got a job for baked alaska

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

shame on an IGA posted:

It is truly an incredible thing to see the US DoD order 50,000 grad rockets into production in 2022

Yeah that struck me too. Is there any indication where they will be made? Like is this buying from some former combloc country that can still produce them or is this new American production?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Not knowing much about military procurement, my guess would be either drawn from former Warsaw pact ally stocks, or ordered from Bulgaria. I'd be surprised to see a US manufacturer invest the capital to make munitions for soviet systems. The US government will have no interest in them after this conflict is over, and there's no way they're cost-competitive on the open market.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

The CIA should knock over Transnistria so Ukraine can crack into that huge weapon dump they have

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yeah that struck me too. Is there any indication where they will be made? Like is this buying from some former combloc country that can still produce them or is this new American production?

New production in former comblock country. Probably Bulgaria. They have plenty of production capacity for former comblock gear, and are kind of broke so they can't afford to donate anything themselves. Multiple EU countries have also made purchases from them, if they felt like they needed to give support but had nothing to give.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Joke Miriam posted:

The CIA should knock over Transnistria so Ukraine can crack into that huge weapon dump they have

The guy who was exchanged for Griner (And played by Nick Cage in a movie!) supposedly made his money specifically by pilfering from that dump. Who knows what's left.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
I mean.. theyre grad rockets. It cant be THAT difficult to set up production run for them and im 99% certain there is a steam achievement for grifting money from Pentagon with newly-built 1960s Soviet artillery materiel.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Valtonen posted:

I mean.. theyre grad rockets. It cant be THAT difficult to set up production run for them and im 99% certain there is a steam achievement for grifting money from Pentagon with newly-built 1960s Soviet artillery materiel.

American industrial might meets it's greatest challenge: making weapons that use metric measurements.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

BadOptics posted:

American industrial might meets it's greatest challenge: making weapons that use metric measurements.

I know you're making a joke here, but hasn't the US military standardized on metric since like the 60s?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

BadOptics posted:

plan: make 50,000 122mm rockets for grad launchers
outcome: oops we made 122" icbms for Ukraine

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

psydude posted:

I know you're making a joke here, but hasn't the US military standardized on metric since like the 60s?

Yeah, I'd imagine with NATO standardization it's not a problem in regards to military production.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

plan: make 50,000 122mm rockets for grad launchers
outcome: oops we made 122" icbms for Ukraine

☝️☝️☝️ "Oh, so like in Warhammer 40K?"

Kallikaa
Jun 13, 2001

psydude posted:

US industry's been metric since 1912 when a crafty swede decided to make his industry leading gauge blocks 25.4 mm, splitting the difference between the US 25.4000508 mm and UK 25.399977 mm inch.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1605727336996954114?t=xJuM0YMQtQUl4olAt4LVEw&s=19

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I'm honestly surprised there isn't a niche bespoke hipster mom and pop MIC shop that makes sovbloc poo poo here but "since 2014" is probably a long time to hedge on the US govt placing boffo orders

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm honestly surprised there isn't a niche bespoke hipster mom and pop MIC shop that makes sovbloc poo poo here but "since 2014" is probably a long time to hedge on the US govt placing boffo orders

This company makes essentially US manufactured RPG 7s and ammunition. https://airtronic-usa.com/products/airtronic-rpg-7-usa/

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
If you live on planet Earth and you don't have an RPG-7, it's because you don't want one.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A.o.D. posted:

If you live on planet Earth and you don't have an RPG-7, it's because you don't want one.

I want one :negative:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Would you settle for a discharged AT4 or LAW tube?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Would you settle for a discharged AT4 or LAW tube?

i already have the former

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Conveniently, I have the latter.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

If you REALLY wanted one, you could have one.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011
I remember being in the Middle East and seeing multiple cardboard containers filled with RPG-7s. Kinda wish I got one de-milled and brought it home, but that would have been a lot more trouble than it was worth.

Well before I showed up to my current office, they had a de-milled one as a war trophy, along with a couple AKs on plaques. Those went missing when they deployed in 2018 and some folks retired, so the suspect list is small.

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

This may not be much but it's something...

https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1605653560099733505

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Kuznetsov continues its heartwarming annual tradition of 'experiencing a small fire'.

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1605907354435952640/photo/1

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Alchenar posted:

Kuznetsov continues its heartwarming annual tradition of 'experiencing a small fire'.

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1605907354435952640/photo/1

I forget who said it here, but it was something along the lines of “If your ship isn’t on fire it’s doing it’s absolute best to be that way”.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sorry wandering in here after the Zelenskyy visit. Looks like it was a very public acknowledgement of support for ukraine + a good way to "welcome them into the fold" of using nato weapons and making everyone aware... I guess?

What is the benefit of the Patriot missiles? I read the wiki page and a few news articles but they're not spelling it out for me. These are top of the line surface to air missiles, and anti-ballistic missles? So what does that mean exactly for ukraine? These bascially will create an area of denial of attack ~150 miles in diameter around each battery? For what, drones and jets? But doesn't really do anything for first strike against soldiers on the ground?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Hadlock posted:

Sorry wandering in here after the Zelenskyy visit. Looks like it was a very public acknowledgement of support for ukraine + a good way to "welcome them into the fold" of using nato weapons and making everyone aware... I guess?

What is the benefit of the Patriot missiles? I read the wiki page and a few news articles but they're not spelling it out for me. These are top of the line surface to air missiles, and anti-ballistic missles? So what does that mean exactly for ukraine? These bascially will create an area of denial of attack ~150 miles in diameter around each battery? For what, drones and jets? But doesn't really do anything for first strike against soldiers on the ground?

Patriots shoot down incoming missiles, like the ones russian has been constantly firing at Ukrainian civilians

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Patriot is to try and protect the civilian infrastructure from the cruise missiles and whatnot. They already have AA around they’re just running out of ammo most likely. And depending on what generation of patriot they’re better or way better than the old soviet poo poo they have.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

We're in a position to make and supply more missiles for Patriot batteries.

Not so much for the S-300, Pantsir or other Comblock systems that Ukraine started with. Patriot should also perform a good deal better.

Oh I got beat.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
How mobile are Patriot batteries? Something like that will be a top target for Russia.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Hadlock posted:

These bascially will create an area of denial of attack ~150 miles in diameter around each battery?

Patriot provides point defense and limited area surveillance. More like you could put it by a factory and be defending that factory and the colocated city blocks as well as the airfield several kilometers away. Or place it along a flight route and hit things as they fly by. But there's really nothing just blotting out the sky for 150 miles or 150 kilometers unless shooting at large, slow-ish, high altitude objects.

Stultus Maximus posted:

How mobile are Patriot batteries? Something like that will be a top target for Russia.

For the US, the bog standard requirement to be able to deploy is intermediate gunnery, which means ability to pack up the equipment* to move in 45 minutes and ability to empalce the system in 45-60 minutes (45 to be able to fire and radiating, 60 to have the rest of the launchers up). It's typically mounted on a mix of HEMTTs and FMTVs.

*SAM equipment. tents, dining, etc, would take longer or be packed up ahead of time with only the system staying up if the unit is given a prepare to move order.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 22, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Thanks for the replies, this helps a lot

Which russian rockets are they planning to shoot down with this system? So I can look this up on wikipedia. These are the rockets that are hitting apartment buildings in Kiev and other cities, I presume? How many rockets per day are they planning to shoot down/deter with a system like this.

Sorry for being dense, the closest thing to tactical defense I've dealt with was using a tank or Stinger to defend a point in Battlefield games, which probably has exactly 0 real world translatable understanding

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
20 to 100 mile range, so roughly an analogue to the s300 systems that ukraine already runs but is running out of missiles for.

Edit: Russia is using mostly cruise missiles at this point, or Iranian RC sized drones, both of which are slow and fly like a normal plane.

freeasinbeer fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 22, 2022

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Random question: assuming they knew it was incoming, could a patriot deal with one of those hypersonic missiles with reasonable confidence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

RFC2324 posted:

Random question: assuming they knew it was incoming, could a patriot deal with one of those hypersonic missiles with reasonable confidence?

:nsamad: