Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks! It's been great, had it since Monday and just hit 600 miles today. Took it out for it's first workout on route 1 thru Big Sur in celebration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Nice that’s a crazy road. Some dude in a fancy Macan was trying to show off?? In front of me on a tight turn there and got the thing up on three wheels he was taking it so fast

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Source4Leko posted:

Thanks! It's been great, had it since Monday and just hit 600 miles today. Took it out for it's first workout on route 1 thru Big Sur in celebration.

Keep some ear plugs in the car if you plan to drive with the roof off, over 55-60mph. My ears will ring if I'm irresponsible and dumb and do that, and I've already got tinnitus. (Like riding a motorcycle at highway speeds without ear plugs).

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for the reminder. I wasn't going over that for much today but I will be. I mean, I got a convertible to have the roof off so yea its going to be open as much as possible.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Source4Leko posted:

Thanks for the reminder. I wasn't going over that for much today but I will be. I mean, I got a convertible to have the roof off so yea its going to be open as much as possible.

I've bought a pair of the "Pinlock" brand earplugs with a filter from Cyclegear, and a pair of "Eargasms" from their webstore. I think the Eargasms probably fit my ears better, and they've had a 25% off sale going on for a few days. Or you can just do foam ear plugs, but get something.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Got pinged by a local dealer. What do we think of $37,500 (including destination fee, not including TTL) for a 2023 RF in soul red and GT trim? Still on the boat but he said I can throw a deposit at it. At this point I think throwing an extra 3-4k at something that's never been farted in and has the full warranty is worth it over 2019+ used prices.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Look I know I said I'd drive it hood down every day, but...

That said, I'm off for a two-hour roundtrip tomorrow midday, and I'll give it a go, roof-down.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Shitbox goes in for an MOT on Friday. Took it off the road when it lapsed in September 2020 to quickly hack out the rot and replace with fresh metal. I was lazy. It took me far too long. Spent the last 4 days in the workshop with it and while it isn't going to win any awards for looks (arches need filler and paint) it is probably more solid than when it rolled off the assembly line. There's one patch body to sill where I ran out of time (previous bad repair) and one where the battery sits which I'll hack out properly in spring.

I hate the waiting for judgement. I know it's solid if scrappy looking and everything mechanically is good but still... I'll upload photos of the rebuild adventure at some point. You can bring anything back from the brink if you're a stubborn dickhead who owns a welder :v:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

People in the states would be pissy if we had MOT but I wouldn't mind it honestly. Most of our inspections are like.. Dois it have check engine light (based on vehicle age), does it have brakes that exist, does it have a suspension, do lights work? Okay you passed but we found a tear in your windsheild wipers so you can pay us 50% more for them or go get them and get reinspected for a net zero save. I live in a "commie" state that actually checks poo poo, some places only have smog in specific cities, some don't do any inspection, or only when the vehicle is sold/bought. There are a lot of cobalts with framerot riding around my northeast state because "will the frame crack when going over pothole" is not a criteria.

I do however think that some of our inspections are bullshit and over-reaching. the environmental impact of an evap flap or inefficient cat when teh repairs are more than the value of the car are probably much smaller than crushing a car and forcing someone who may not have the capability to get another vehicle to do so.

Miata news: Got my NRG hub and QR, need to shop for a smaller wheel.. 330mm good for a tall not very fat goon?
Next steps is also order up my clutch kit, looking to maybe go stage 1,any recommendations? No clue what future holds for power adders, maybe a small turbo/sc if I can sneak one on without also having to dick around with a 3rd party ECU

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 14, 2022

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
i once saw a Ford Windstar with no front passenger door, just cardboard taped in place, flying down the highway at 70+

i would be okay with mandatory federal inspections.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

If the US had mandatory MOTs then I'd miss out on a lit of mechanical horror videos on youtube though...

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I think Michigan had emissions testing when my sister first got her license, but my parents just had a guy they know pass her lovely truck without looking at it. I imagine this is part of why Michigan got rid of testing and never started it back up.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Colorado has that nifty thing where if you hit enough freeway onramps in a year where they set their Magic Camera up on the side, they send a "youre good for the next 2 years of emissions" card and you don't have to go in and get your car farts sniffed in the shop. Kinda cool

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

How does that work?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

quote:

Using infrared and ultraviolet beams of light, RapidScreen testing equipment can analyze the exhaust of a passing vehicle in less than a second. By simply driving by RapidScreen testing vans, drivers of clean-running, low-polluting vehicles can have their emissions testing done on the fly.

Maaaaagic imaging stuff. It's pretty neat. My guess is the UV looks for particulates and the IR is analyzing temp, which can be mapped to NOx i think

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Shitbox goes in for an MOT on Friday...

F. Apparently the front calipers are sticking. And the emissions are high. Ordered new calipers, I've already done the rears and given them nice HEL braided hoses. This will be a complete brake overhaul once this is done.

Emissions though the dude suggested spark plugs but the ones in the car have probably done 2000 miles total.

And an interesting new noise reared its head on the drive over, sounds like a pulley wheel has shat itself but the question is just which one? Fun game to play!

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Just installed the mx5things roof controller. Was pretty straightforward, took a little under an hour. You might want a second person to just help keep the panel open while you're unplugging cables and moving stuff behind the seat, would have definitely made things go faster, but I was able to struggle through it on my own.

Initial impressions are that this thing just works. I was able to drive around my neighborhood at around 10-15ish mph, flick the switch, and the roof goes up or down, no other input required from me. Pretty awesome! We'll see how it holds up, but right now would definitely say it's worth the purchase.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

reversefungi posted:

Just installed the mx5things roof controller. Was pretty straightforward, took a little under an hour. You might want a second person to just help keep the panel open while you're unplugging cables and moving stuff behind the seat, would have definitely made things go faster, but I was able to struggle through it on my own.

Initial impressions are that this thing just works. I was able to drive around my neighborhood at around 10-15ish mph, flick the switch, and the roof goes up or down, no other input required from me. Pretty awesome! We'll see how it holds up, but right now would definitely say it's worth the purchase.

I've been eyeing that. Stop tempting me, OP

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Should I get a nd2, nb, nc2 or wait for ne

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 19, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
NE (2026 iirc?) gonna be a hybrid at the very least. keep that in mind.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Ohhh ty. Yea I guess I thought it would be 2024. Would a hybrid even have stick shift??

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Hard to say. I will take a guess they'll do some dual-clutch paddle business

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

A MIRACLE posted:

Ohhh ty. Yea I guess I thought it would be 2024. Would a hybrid even have stick shift??

Maybe it will be like the wild koenigsegg one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvb6J96KiSM

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
First gen insight and civic hybrids come in stick! No reason why it wouldnt work, but why you would want a hybrid miata is beyond me, extra battery weight seems silly.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Extra torques

I think it’ll probably be alright, but the question I have is goofy stuff like eLSDs or not being able to turn off TC/ESP.

As is, the ND’s yaw sensor really doesn’t like you pulling 1.4Gs and will freak out. Also stuff like different engines for different regions (1.5L vs 2.0L)… I still really like my ND1, but idk about how I’d feel about the 1.5L variant. I’ll remain optimistic about the NE, though.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The 1.5 is the version which weighs as much as the original NA does though which in current times is an incredible feat for as new car. Has about the same amount of go too. I'd like to try one.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think the NE will drop the manual, it's too mach of a selling point of the Miata. They could absolutely just hybridize it. It looks like Honda's IMA or the McLaren Artura (among others I'm sure) put the motor between the engine and transmission where it gives it some boost. Really the only downside from the jinba ittai point of view could be the bigger rotating mass on the crankshaft but even that might be offset by using a lighter flywheel probably.

Well that and the battery weight. The Artura has like a 100hp motor that weighs 15kg and 80kg of batteries. Not nothing but if Mazda could find a way to save 40kg somewhere (by ditching the passenger sea and interior trim???) that would almost double the power lol.

There's a very detailed video of how the IMA works here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxx6dRjiIdU&t=1285s

Engineering Explained on the Artura: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICTi2Z_X5Kw

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I'd buy a ND2 no questions asked if they only made a green one

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

tactlessbastard posted:

I'd buy a ND2 no questions asked if they only made a green one

Just make it green yourself!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFbpzyfwyAc

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Finally going to get off my rear end and start track prepping my '95 Miata - here's what I'm thinking -

Hard dog M2 Sport double diagonal rollbar, anyone have issues with these passing tech for track days?

I currently also have Flyin' Miata springs with KYB AGX shocks, and I did the full energy suspension poly bushing upgrade - so far the car is a nightmare on the street and I'm thinking of going whole hog and getting Ohlins road and track coilovers, which seem to be the best option and keep it streetable.

I recently put in new stock calipers/rotors, and it already has SS lines, but I'll need some fancy pads and probably a re-bleed of the fluid.

I recently did a Porsche experience track day (still need to post my pics from that) and I just need to get on track again, and a weekend of trackday insurance for my M2C is going to be about the same price as the miata rollbar, and the car is on super sticky tires and RPF1's already, so may as well finish it for track use.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I think the only issue with doing the Hard dog rollbar is your own height, I've never heard anyone failing with that rollbar.
If your head with helmet is over the bar you're not going to pass. You'll need a racing seat bolted to the floor or to foamect the NA seat to reduce overall height.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I'm only 5'10" so I think i'll be fine - probably won't get a racing set... yet. I still want this to be a summer car my wife will still want to drive. Funny enough the rough suspension bothers me way more than it bothers her - go figure.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Voltage posted:

I'm only 5'10" so I think i'll be fine - probably won't get a racing set... yet. I still want this to be a summer car my wife will still want to drive. Funny enough the rough suspension bothers me way more than it bothers her - go figure.

I'm 6" and would need to foamect at the very leaset. I'm looking into actually getting a racing seat if she decides she can't drive stick because when doing autocross my arms get sore right quick trying to keep me from sliding all over.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Save yourself the hassle and just buy Xidas when it comes to the suspension. Xidas on full soft + DWS06s (or other quietish all seasons) will surprise you; I pulled off a set of RT660s on my ND a few months ago and the difference in road noise between them and the RE71RS is ridiculous.

I'd advise you to get seats + harnesses sooner rather than later, though. Figure an additional $1500 for everything (including misc. hardware).

e: that reminds me, i should swap out to my no seasons today... ughhhhhhhh

Phone fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 22, 2022

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Merry Christmas!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

tactlessbastard posted:

Merry Christmas!

My brother bought a low milage mazdaspeed that was literally garage kept, only driven in Sundays by a little old lady (was her neighbor for 10 years)

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Anyone else going to MATG next August?

BrainDamage
Aug 24, 2006
Looks like a few of you are in the market for an ND2 so I figured I’ll shamelessly plug my C&B listing for my 21’ Club SRC BBR package car:

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/922BL2W9/2021-mazda-mx-5-miata-club?c=all

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that money :stare: congrats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

that money :stare: congrats

Yeah when I said earlier I’d buy a green ND in a second, the other unspoken caveat was hitting on some of these scratchoffs