Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

NO gently caress THIS GUY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

this was my worst case scenario the cubs are cheap joke. this dude loving sucks!!!! he sucks so bad he quit trying to switch hit and still stinks!

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

The Cubbies have a type for catchers and it's "can't hit"

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

R.D. Mangles posted:

this was my worst case scenario the cubs are cheap joke. this dude loving sucks!!!! he sucks so bad he quit trying to switch hit and still stinks!

His name is stupid too.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

should have kicked the tires on Henry Blanco

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

oh good, the .565 OPS catcher is in the lineup today instead of the .515 OPS guy.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the cubs spent like $250 million this offseason and their lineup is literally worse than it was when they were hitting Frank Schwindel 3rd.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1605986189458034688

lol two loving years, the Cubs are drunk

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lol, a player option.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

R.D. Mangles posted:

NO gently caress THIS GUY

More like Fucker Barnhart amirite?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Finally, an adequate replacement for Willson Contreras

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
How much is the overhead of a MLB club anyways?

What's it cost to keep the lights on and the ticket office staffed and the grass maintained? 50 million a year? More?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the cubs could have simply extended one of the best hitting catchers in baseball at any time during the last three years

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The Cubs are the Reds now

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bawfuls posted:

Average payroll per team was $148M. Where’d that other $218M per team go? :thunk:

It all went to me and Tucker Barnhart, sorry

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

It all went to me and Tucker Barnhart, sorry

I think you could probably OPS better than Tucker so I'm not mad

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

R.D. Mangles posted:

the cubs could have simply extended one of the best hitting catchers in baseball at any time during the last three years

Have they ever answered why they couldn't wait to get rid of Willson? Was he a giant rear end in a top hat?

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

davecrazy posted:

What's it cost to keep the lights on and the ticket office staffed and the grass maintained? 50 million a year? More?

how creative is the accountant?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Sab0921 posted:

Just do be the Astros, don't spend money and then also be awesome every year.

The Astros have a top 10 payroll at least. How I have no idea because they keep letting anyone who gets expensive walk. Bregman and Altuve are only here because they signed team friendly deals

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

.221/.287/.267 lol.

lmao.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

davecrazy posted:

And other than players, what expenses actually scale with revenue? Stadium rent/maintenance doesn't change, travel, non-baseball staff don't change. Once teams make enough to cover that, each extra buck goes right into the owners pocket so theoretically as revenues increase, the percentage going to players should increase as there's nowhere else to spend it on...

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/ChrisCotillo/status/1605997121840168960

:rip:

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Intruder posted:

The Astros have a top 10 payroll at least. How I have no idea because they keep letting anyone who gets expensive walk. Bregman and Altuve are only here because they signed team friendly deals

We paid Justin Verlander $30MM/year to not pitch for a couple of years.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Speaking of bad contracts, the Reds just DFA’d Mike Moustakas

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Penisaurus Sex posted:

how creative is the accountant?

I don't think he's asking what the reported/taxable numbers are so creative accounting doesn't matter.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

FlamingLiberal posted:

Speaking of bad contracts, the Reds just DFA’d Mike Moustakas

https://mobile.twitter.com/TalkinBaseball_/status/1606002689107714049

Whoops all DFA's today!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

davecrazy posted:

Is this spelled out in Liberty Media's statements? It could probably be mathed out from their expenditures given what we know about player salaries and everything.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Maybe the Cubs will pick this guy up too.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Someone figure out what the Astros payroll would be this season if they offered every major FA they lost $1 more than their FA contract.

So that's Verlander, Cole, Correa, Springer - I think it's still less than the Mets.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

.221/.287/.267 lol.

lmao.

Yeah but what's the pitch framing look like??

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Popete posted:

Yeah but what's the pitch framing look like??

The best you'll ever see. Beautiful framing

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Sab0921 posted:

Someone figure out what the Astros payroll would be this season if they offered every major FA they lost $1 more than their FA contract.

So that's Verlander, Cole, Correa, Springer - I think it's still less than the Mets.

Ok fine.

It's $43MM + $36MM + $24,167,000, + $26,200,000 = $129,367,000 in extra salary.

Would put the Astros at about $320,000,000 - so very Mets-ish for a team that would be way better than the currently constructed Mets.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why are the Os trading for a catcher

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

Sab0921 posted:

Some quick napkin math suggests they'd be about $10 million shy of the Mets lol.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

zoux posted:

Why are the Os trading for a catcher

No backup on the 40 man and Mets are paying all but 5m. Gives us two years of backup for Adley, assuming McCann survives on the roster that long.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

R.D. Mangles posted:

oh good, the .565 OPS catcher is in the lineup today instead of the .515 OPS guy.

Me, a Guardians fan who watched the 2022 season: drat, your guys are getting .500 OPS?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

MrMidnight posted:

No, but he still needs to pass his physical which is happening today!

I kind of hope the physical raises concerns for the Mets, and another team (let's say, oh, the Red Sox) swoops in and signs him, and Correa just has endless physicals and surprise midnight offers

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sab0921 posted:

Ok fine.

It's $43MM + $36MM + $24,167,000, + $26,200,000 = $129,367,000 in extra salary.

Would put the Astros at about $320,000,000 - so very Mets-ish for a team that would be way better than the currently constructed Mets.

Don't forget the $10 million for Vazquez

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Also Tortuga news

https://twitter.com/aarongleeman/status/1605957747970740225

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/CharlieG__/status/1606001896682045440