Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If you don’t need a bigger fancier car get the one that is $20k cheaper. Like, easy, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I'm starting to realize that. I've been driving a 2010 A4 for the past decade or so. So anything is a big upgrade over that.

My wife prefers bigger cars, but we already have a Subaru Forester as our big car and are thinking of going all-in on replacing it with a mini van in a few years anyway.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

priznat posted:

So tesla is offering credit on purchases taking delivery in december ($7500 in US, $5k in canada) and I'm shocked that they actually have a ton of inventory of Ys and 3s in the BC, Canada area.

I don't really want a tesla but I'm hoping this is a good sign that more vehicles will be available from other manufacturers too, perhaps due to a slowdown in the market?

I think it's just a Tesla thing. They've been having to slash prices in China, too, while manufacturers like Ford are raising prices on the Lightning and dealerships are still scalping vehicles like the Ioniq 5.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Isn’t it to get people to buy right now because if they wait until next year the tesla will requalify for some federal tax rebates?

If that’s the case not only does it not signify anything for any other automaker it also likely won’t last long for teslas.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I guess it depends on the reason they are sitting on so many right now. The deal only applies if you buy and get delivered before the end of the month.

Did they massively ramp up production?

Did people cancel knowing they can get a tax credit starting next year?

Did they cancel because of musk?

I honestly don’t know. It’s funnier to think that there were repercussions to musk being an alt right weirdo, but this is hell world so probably not.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

There's probably also an impact from companies like Carmax buying up a shitload of Teslas at a premium and then having to mark them way down to get them to move after the market calmed down. I saw in one case the trade-in estimate for a Model 3 had literally halved between earlier in the year and now.

Hutzpah
Nov 6, 2009
Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure tesla is eligible for the new tax rebate starting January 1. They are assembled in the US, so they meet that part, and the battery regulations aren't in place, so they can ignore that part. The number sold limit that is preventing Tesla from being eligible gets rolled back January 1 and then both Chevy and Tesla become eligible for a $7,500 tax credit. Doesn't that mean everyone should wait until the new year to buy one?

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Hutzpah posted:

I'm pretty sure tesla is eligible for the new tax rebate starting January 1. They are assembled in the US, so they meet that part, and the battery regulations aren't in place, so they can ignore that part. The number sold limit that is preventing Tesla from being eligible gets rolled back January 1 and then both Chevy and Tesla become eligible for a $7,500 tax credit. Doesn't that mean everyone should wait until the new year to buy one?

Tesla is preemptively giving a $7500 discount if you take delivery right now, so it won’t make a difference if you were to buy a Tesla right now versus the new year.
They made it so that there was no reason to wait about 2 weeks ago by offering the $3750 discount(the expected tax credit then)plus 10,000 free supercharger and they are still having too much inventory compared to absolutely no inventory a month ago.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Are you saying Tesla is eating those $7500 at the moment?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They've always been very honest that there is a ton of margin built into their price.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Yes. For anyone that buys one and takes delivery by the end of the month. They were eating $3750 until yesterday when it was upped to $7500.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This seems awfully authoritative for a dude who is bench racing the cars

I mean, I’ve test-driven both. I can’t speak to long term reliability, or what ownership would look like weeks/months/years in, but the cars felt very different to me in person.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
I feel there's a few factors working against Tesla at the moment, matching the pending tax credit fixes one of them, there's still the unknown effect of Musk's public idiocy (sorry for Muskchat), but also they have removed a couple features on the cars recently (radar a few months ago, and more recently the ultrasonics). There's also rumors of some sort of refresh happening in January, so a bit of an Osborne effect happening as well.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

borkencode posted:

I feel there's a few factors working against Tesla at the moment, matching the pending tax credit fixes one of them, there's still the unknown effect of Musk's public idiocy (sorry for Muskchat), but also they have removed a couple features on the cars recently (radar a few months ago, and more recently the ultrasonics). There's also rumors of some sort of refresh happening in January, so a bit of an Osborne effect happening as well.

whatever the reason, resale on Model 3s has dropped almost $20k in my area

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Huh, there's quite a few 2019/2020 Model 3s I can get for sub 30k and a couple of 2018s sub 25k.

That's starting to approach Bolt/Leaf prices.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Kirios posted:

Huh, there's quite a few 2019/2020 Model 3s I can get for sub 30k and a couple of 2018s sub 25k.

That's starting to approach Bolt/Leaf prices.

That seems like about what a standard range plus should go for given they’re ~45k new.

Your market seems a lot more rational than where I’m at though, Carmax here wants 45k for a 2019 Standard Range Plus with 18k miles. 59k for a 2020 MYLR.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
I'm about to order a Bolt EV. Is adaptive cruise control worth it? Does it require a subscription or is it a one-time cost?

Also, does anyone see a problem ordering from a dealership 40 miles away? They've been more responsive and always have some in stock, unlike the Chevy dealer 10 miles away.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Harveygod posted:

I'm about to order a Bolt EV. Is adaptive cruise control worth it? Does it require a subscription or is it a one-time cost?

Also, does anyone see a problem ordering from a dealership 40 miles away? They've been more responsive and always have some in stock, unlike the Chevy dealer 10 miles away.

I don’t know

No. Order the car from the dealership that has stock and gives you good service. 40 miles isn’t that bad, and worst case you can get the car serviced at other Chevy dealerships

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Harveygod posted:

I decided to go for adaptive cruise even though I mostly commute on city streets. I’m glad I did because I did a road trip from San Francisco to LA and back and boy howdy it makes a huge difference on long highway journeys. I went for the 2LT with adaptive cruise and the media package and I couldnt be happier. No subscription on adaptive cruise.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I decided to go for adaptive cruise even though I mostly commute on city streets. I’m glad I did because I did a road trip from San Francisco to LA and back and boy howdy it makes a huge difference on long highway journeys. I went for the 2LT with adaptive cruise and the media package and I couldnt be happier. No subscription on adaptive cruise.

Congrats!! Which color did you pick?

Edit: whoops, got posters confused. Harveygod, congrats! Which color are you going to pick? I also agree adaptive cruise is great if you’re going to spend time in traffic regularly.

Aino Minako fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 22, 2022

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Harveygod posted:

I haven’t used the Bolt adaptive cruise specifically but in general I would say that yes, it’s absolutely worth it, especially since it’s just a $375 package on the Bolt and doesn’t require you to buy a lot of other stuff you may not care about.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The light blue metallic (I forget the official name of it)

Immediate add-ons I got were the Maxpider 3D floor mats front and back.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

Thanks for the responses. I'll get it with the adaptive cruise control from 40-Mile-Away-Motors™.

Aino Minako posted:

Harveygod, congrats! Which color are you going to pick? I also agree adaptive cruise is great if you’re going to spend time in traffic regularly.

I'm stuck between "Ggay ghost" or the "bright blue".

I kind of like the look of the blue better (reminds me of my old 2002 Focus) but I also feel like it stands out a bit. I kind of like blending in with cars. I don't know, it's weird.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Harveygod posted:

"Ggay ghost"

lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Definitely go with Gay Ghost

Adaptive Cruise Control is always worth it. I will never go without it again.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Also got these window deflectors- I like opening the window during the rain sometimes. https://www.carid.com/wellvisors/tape-on-smoke-front-and-rear-side-window-deflectors-mpn-3-847ch027.html And because I drive my father around a few times a week along with his dog I got this rear seat cover so the dog doesn't get the seat dirty. It's nice that it doesn't block the rear armrest. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SX2NGYZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Home EVSE I got is the Emproium- I had it hard wired and its a nice user interface on the app. It made it easy to program to charge at off peak hours

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

I wasn't fixing it after I posted. I also read it in Scooby-Doo's cowardly voice.

Here's what I'm probably looking at:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I do really want to like that blue. It’s just not for me after seeing it in person.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

The only downside of adaptive cruise control is once you have it you can never own another car without it again.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Bandire posted:

The only downside of adaptive cruise control is once you have it you can never own another car without it again.

Being that this is the first time I've had it (my last car was a 2010 Prius that got totaled) I completely agree with this.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Harveygod posted:

EV Thread Mk 3: I'm stuck between "Ggay ghost" or the "bright blue"
or

Harveygod posted:

EV Thread Mk 3: Ggay ghost

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Harveygod posted:

I also read it in Scooby-Doo's cowardly voice.

This is exactly how I read it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
ggay ghost?! ruh roh

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Bandire posted:

This is true which is why I ordered a bolt with it a few weeks ago. Still no idea when the order will be filled.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Clipped a drat deer in my Volt a couple hours ago.

Bumper cover not damaged, fender scuffed up, and just ever so slightly bent under the light a bit.. could likely push it back out and buff it off.

Looks like used headlights go for around $250 or so shipped.

Likely wont even make a claim, should be able to fix this myself.

Edit: With Video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6wSu4_ciuc

stevewm fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 23, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Dealer allocation is bullcrap I think. Most of the ones I want are the cheap trim level around me, and the place I want to order from is like 10 orders deep with no allocation

edit: I found out a state several states away has the exact one I want, I'll ask the dealership if they're willing to do a dealer trade, at least to talk about it and see what that costs.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 23, 2022

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I haven’t used the Bolt adaptive cruise specifically but in general I would say that yes, it’s absolutely worth it, especially since it’s just a $375 package on the Bolt and doesn’t require you to buy a lot of other stuff you may not care about.

The adaptive cruise on the Bolt is very very good, selectable following distance, nice smooth slowing down and speeding up, much better than the couple 2018-2020 cars I've rented that had it.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I went for the 2LT with adaptive cruise and the media package and I couldnt be happier. No subscription on adaptive cruise.

I have the same option package, it's pretty killer, everything I wanted, nothing I didn't. I'll get to drive it more than twice a month some day.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Apparently none of the places that I'm looking at have Ev's or are willing to do dealer swaps so I'm going to have to go out of state

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Any good minivan EVs out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

sullat posted:

Any good minivan EVs out there?

The Chrysler Pacifica is available as a plug-in hybrid. The Kia Carnival is rumored to get plug-in hybrid and BEV trims in the next couple years, which would be awesome.

There’s also the Model X, which is nice and useful in many ways, but expensive, weird doors, and it comes with the mark of the beast.