Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

OddObserver posted:

Where "similar" means "both have a number of variants with different missions each", if I understood correctly.

I don't know what you mean, or which systems/variants you are referencing? Patriot versions different from one another? Patriot different from S-300?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

-The Ukrainian Patriot battery will not be linked into any NATO systems or communications. It is a battery for Ukraine to operate, on their own.

And if you believe that, I've got a bridge from Russia to illegally occupied Crimea to sell you.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Moon Slayer posted:

And if you believe that, I've got a bridge from Russia to illegally occupied Crimea to sell you.

I think you are very wrong about this for both technical and policy reasons.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

I don't know what you mean, or which systems/variants you are referencing? Patriot versions different from one another? Patriot different from S-300?

PAC-02 vs PAC-03 and S-300P vs. S-300V

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

mlmp08 posted:

PAC-3 is designed mostly to shoot down other missiles

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

1st AD posted:

PAC-3 is designed mostly to shoot down other missiles

PAC-3 has improved capability vs ballistic missiles compared to the PAC-2 family, but it retains the ability to engage aircraft, cruise missiles, anti-radiation missiles, helicopters, etc. PAC-3 MSE (which I assume Ukraine is not receiving, but who knows) is kind of the best of both worlds, and the interceptor can basically outrange the supporting sensors right now.

A Config 3+ battery can fire PAC-2 or PAC-3 interceptors. It's confusing, but the ordnance is PAC-3, whereas the battery/system is in Configs and builds. But if someone says "a PAC-3 battery" they likely mean a battery of the sufficient configuration to fire PAC-3 missiles, if they have the ordnance.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MikeC posted:

More and more twitter sentiment also follows this trend as my feed leans more conservative than most here I suspect. Shapiro released a very 'IR realist' tweet that echo'd my earlier post accurately pointing out that Ukrainian interests are not America interests and that the two shouldn't be confused with each other. That at some point, the US needs to be able to be the bad guy should support for Ukraine no longer run in parallel with good US foreign policy.

https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/1605899823491620866?s=20&t=0vROBrV59GwB5T29eqIGQg
Ukraine might want to gamble at some point next summer and get as much as they can. Mearshiemier is likely to be proven correct in the long term. Ukraine is something the Russian state will suffer extreme deprivation and hardship to control while it simply isn't a core interest for the US. Ergo support can be fickle and evaporate very quickly. I think the Ukrainians are very lucky the US elections played out the way they did. Shapiro points out Biden is unlikely to be the bad guy in this scenario of pushing the Ukrainians towards a peace they don't want and his party retains control at least one of the Congressional bodies.
I don't think we should hand it to Smol Ben under any circumstances.

Like yeah the US doesn't have interest in Ukraine controlling specific patches of dirt but where exactly do the interests divert on a higher level? It's in the US and EU interest that Putin doesn't feel like he can just start wars in Eurrope and steal annex poo poo as long as he manages to make it mildly inconvenient. Retaining the current world order and not the "Russian world" Putin is pushing should be the broader consideration. You get both of those by ensuring that Russia fails utterly in Ukraine. They're (and well Ukraine too) is paying dearly for this poo poo and it costs us what, the same money MIC would've gotten anyway?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

MikeC posted:

https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/1605899823491620866?s=20&t=0vROBrV59GwB5T29eqIGQg

Ukraine might want to gamble at some point next summer and get as much as they can. Mearshiemier is likely to be proven correct in the long term. Ukraine is something the Russian state will suffer extreme deprivation and hardship to control while it simply isn't a core interest for the US. Ergo support can be fickle and evaporate very quickly.

Setting aside the kneejerk "disagree with everything Ben Shapiro says and you'll probably be right most of the time" reflex . . .

I disagree that this war is not a "core interest" of the US.

Preventing wars of aggression within Europe is *very much* a core interest of the US and of western powers generally, on multiple levels.

Just a short list of the most prominent reasons:

-- preventing land war within Europe is literally the raison d'etre for both the EU and NATO.

-- preventing land war within Europe is required for international economic stability, which is fundamental to capitalism. The price shocks which came from this war have already caused massive political instability as food and fuel prices rise, and that's likely to get worse.

-- this war loops into 20th century American mythology as as "defender of Democracy" and so forth and feeds into our national mythology as victors in WW 1 and 2 saving Europe from themselves

-- the military-industrial complex fuckin' loves this poo poo because it's a jobs program, the only jobs program we're allowed to have in this country

-- everyone in Ukraine is white and telegenic and American television loves that

-- letting Russia randomly start wars of aggression whenever they want is a great way to make sure the nuclear cork goes off sooner rather than later

I agree that Russia appears to believe this war is not a "core interest" of ours and thus believes America will eventually go away and just let them win. Russia is probably wrong though. Russian leadership doesn't appear to really grok democracy or western-style free market capitalism. Just because Putin thinks democracies are weak loser countries who can't possibly stand up to the will of a big stronk real man country doesn't mean he's right, it just means he's got dick for brains.

There has always been a nativist strain in American foreign policy but it has historically never won out; we stuck our dicks in WW1 and WW2 despite it and there's no real reason to think this time will be different.

There is an outside chance that the Trump wing of the Republican Party takes power back and American support gets rationed, and pursuing that outside chance is probably Putin's best shot at victory, but it's an outside chance only; support for Ukraine is generally bipartisan despite the Tucker Carlsons out there, largely because even the rotting husk that is the modern Republican party still has enough synapses left to realize that letting Putin just up and take whatever he wants is not conducive to international commerce, much less international democracy, and Mitch McConnell takes plenty of Raytheon dollars and doesn't want flow to stop.

Plus, end of the day . . . we can afford this war and Russia can't. Russia's going to end up suffering "extreme deprivation and hardship" and not controlling Ukraine. Biden's just signed over, what, another 44 billion dollars?

I mean, just from google

Russia's entire military budget is a very small fraction of America's. AS per the joke at the start of the war,

"According to Putin the special military operation is really a conflict btw Russia and NATO about World dominance. Whats the situation now?" "Russia has lost 15000 troops, 6 generals, 500 tanks, 3 ships, 100 planes and 1000 trucks. NATO hasn't arrived yet.""

Russian estimated losses crossed a hundred thousand casualties while Zelenzy was in America. NATO still hasn't bothered to show up. Russia is just fundamentally outclassed here; it doesn't matter what sacrifices they're willing to make, they just can't compete. The Generals are never gonna beat the Globetrotters, no matter how much they sacrifice. Ukraine is already winning and so far all we've done is give them our spare change and leftover toys.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 22, 2022

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Ben Shapiro doesn't seem to think that we have any interest in the freedom and prosperity of other human beings. Umm, okay, I guess? I realize that narcissistic interests have their place--most human beings cannot wholly act in others' interests all the time--but to make a case that the United States has no interest in the liberty of other people is despondent at best and nihilistic at worst. Under such a worldview, Ben Shapiro should have no trouble with, say Donald Trump who, after all, was just looking out for his own best interests.

gently caress that world view.

Edit: My new avatar is really funny, but who got rid of my gang tag?! :argh:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ynglaur posted:

Ben Shapiro doesn't seem to think that we have any interest in the freedom and prosperity of other human beings. Umm, okay, I guess? I realize that narcissistic interests have their place--most human beings cannot wholly act in others' interests all the time--but to make a case that the United States has no interest in the liberty of other people is despondent at best and nihilistic at worst. Under such a worldview, Ben Shapiro should have no trouble with, say Donald Trump who, after all, was just looking out for his own best interests.

It's also just extraordinarily shortsighted. Everyone living in a democratic system of government has an interest in ensuring democracies aren't invaded and conquered and that such invasion attempts are not normalized. Everyone living in a market economy has an interest in ensuring markets are not captured by opportunistic warlords.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The power of the IR perspective is that all the elements, including "powers" and "interests," expand and contract to reach the desired results.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Yeah, even if you subscribe to the IR perspective that America should do whatever is rational to remain top dog - it doesn't make any sense to suggest that the US should back off and let Russia win in Ukraine to build up hypothetical power to confront China. You could just as easily argue that a emboldened Russia would be more dangerous if it was aligned with China compared to a weaker Russia serving as a client state.

It's all hand waving and speculation disguised as "hard men making hard decisions."

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Biden's just signed over, what, another 44 billion dollars?

Important to remember that a lot of these bills have billions for things like US in NATO operations, cost of deploying extra crisis and intel forces to Europe, replacement of assets for the US, etc.

9 billion of this 45 billion is direct military for Ukraine.

12 billion is paying the US to replace its own items already given via past PDAs.

7 billion to fund USEUCOM mission support.

16 billion for economic and humanitarian assistance.

Then a bunch of other stuff for lesser amounts.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
After that last interview of his I'm shocked anyone would even dare hint to possibly suggest that Mearshiemier is or could ever be correct.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kchama posted:

After that last interview of his I'm shocked anyone would even dare hint to possibly suggest that Mearshiemier is or could ever be correct.

didnt he just double down that ukraine should just bend the knee or some crap like that?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Mearshiemier makes perfect sense if you fully believe the notion that might makes right is all that matters in geopolitics and that everyone would just bow to any strong power and not seek to look for outside help or assistance. It's a view that fundamentally okays land grabs by major powers because you wouldn't want to upset them and make a bad situation worse would you.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Let’s not have a referendum on Mearsheimer and IR, especially not the one that broadly retreads the previous 10 times we talked about it.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
The US spent 10 years pouring money into Afghanistan so yeah I think it’ll find a way to send as much money as is required to a friendly European power whose primary military and political focus will be countering Russian influence

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Just come across this talk from some of those involved in the Operation Interflex training in the UK.

https://twitter.com/RUSI_org/status/1600490313876840448

Vimeo if you don't want the video compressed to poo poo.
https://vimeo.com/777316675

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Part 3 of the interview by Lindybeige has just dropped. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofJw89oI4cc

Ynglaur posted:

Edit: My new avatar is really funny, but who got rid of my gang tag?! :argh:

I think a lot of people didn't actually read what he wrote. To paraphrase, he said that stopping Ukraine from falling was good and right, but spending an uncertain amount to allow Ukraine to obtain full territorial integrity is not in the US goal, it's the Ukrainian goal and we (the US) are under no obligation to help them achieve that. WRT to Ukraine, and I am sure they follow US and European public attitude, if they are erring on being conservative, I am thinking they might want to err on the side of taking bigger risks to get more territory back rather than wait for a better day that might not come. Of course, that's under the assumption they are not in a place where they simply have no material means to move the front line significantly in the short term without another massive infusion that might or might not come (re: tanks and IFVs they publicly requested).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

MikeC posted:

To paraphrase, he said that stopping Ukraine from falling was good and right, but spending an uncertain amount to allow Ukraine to obtain full territorial integrity is not in the US goal, it's the Ukrainian goal and we (the US) are under no obligation to help them achieve that.

Ehh, I mean, "making sure Putin does not profit even symbolically from this power grab" is absolutely in America's national interest, for all the reasons outlined above, plus the additional reason that Putin's a wild card actor on the world stage and humiliating him and reducing his hard and soft power is absolutely a net gain for worldwide safety and stability.

And it's at least worth pointing out that we're accomplishing this for peanuts in terms of relative cost:

https://twitter.com/BretDevereaux/status/1605681082048946187?s=20&t=_JK3M2mGfpbShT12cRbCQQ

Of course the human cost of the war to Ukrainians is horrific. But, like, Russia started it and Russia is keeping it going. There's virtually no downside for America in giving Ukrainians the tools they need and want to defend themselves. It's pocket change to us.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 23, 2022

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

ChaseSP posted:

Mearshiemier makes perfect sense if you fully believe the notion that might makes right is all that matters in geopolitics and that everyone would just bow to any strong power and not seek to look for outside help or assistance. It's a view that fundamentally okays land grabs by major powers because you wouldn't want to upset them and make a bad situation worse would you.

What if the major power only appeared to be a major power, and got its poo poo kicked in by the smaller neighbor they invaded? Does it still make perfect sense?

If might makes right and you're a stronger geopolitical power (or bloc) does it make sense to allow your rival to invade neighbors when you can just send a fraction of your defense spending and old weapons to destroy their military and economic might? As the stronger party why should you bow to the concerns of the weaker rival who has just planted themselves firmly into a bear trap?

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 23, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Offensive realism predicts that the United States will send its army across the Atlantic when there is a potato salad in Europe that the local great powers cannot place mayonnaise on by themselves.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

MikeC posted:

Part 3 of the interview by Lindybeige has just dropped. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofJw89oI4cc

I think a lot of people didn't actually read what he wrote. To paraphrase, he said that stopping Ukraine from falling was good and right, but spending an uncertain amount to allow Ukraine to obtain full territorial integrity is not in the US goal, it's the Ukrainian goal and we (the US) are under no obligation to help them achieve that. WRT to Ukraine, and I am sure they follow US and European public attitude, if they are erring on being conservative, I am thinking they might want to err on the side of taking bigger risks to get more territory back rather than wait for a better day that might not come. Of course, that's under the assumption they are not in a place where they simply have no material means to move the front line significantly in the short term without another massive infusion that might or might not come (re: tanks and IFVs they publicly requested).

I would say that there's nothing wrong with saying that one day Ukraine's interests might not align with US foreign policy, that's kinda obvious to anybody paying attention. Stranger things have happened and one could invent any number of hypothetical situations about it.

I would still laugh out loud at anybody claiming that they know that the US is doing too much right now and should be focusing its efforts elsewhere per what Mearshiemier has been saying recently.

Nobody credible would even try to present an idea of what post war environment would look like right now, so claiming that realists can make arguments one way or another seem silly.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Besides the fact that the US basically gets to decimate the Russian military and it only costs us money (the Ukrainians are paying in blood unfortunately) there's also the fact that the US is no doubt gaining TONS of intelligence. Theres Intel that can only be gained in a real war. Things like how modern US weaponry is performing, how modern Russian hardware is performing, etc. For example, the most modern Russian tank that's actually in service, the T90M, has only been in service for a few years. Now the US probably has a mostly intact example in their possession. And the usefulness of this Intel goes beyond this war. A lot of Chinese equipment is very similar to Russian equipment or straight up copies.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

ChaseSP posted:

The war has proved the US and EU so much stronger than Russia that Putin should just roll over and bend the knee by that logic. Oddly
Mearshiemier never makes that argument.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Let’s not have a referendum on Mearsheimer and IR, especially not the one that broadly retreads the previous 10 times we talked about it.

*clears throat*

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Am I the only one that feels like Putin actually just slipped his tongue calling the "special military operation" a war like it is, rather than actually deliberately calling it that?

https://twitter.com/herszenhorn/status/1606052421498650624

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

*clears throat*

The optimists' claim that salad composition and ham among the great powers has been burned out of the system is wrong. In fact all of the major states around the globe still care deeply about the placement of condiments among themselves for the foreseeable future.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 23, 2022

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Willo567 posted:

Am I the only one that feels like Putin actually just slipped his tongue calling the "special military operation" a war like it is, rather than actually deliberately calling it that?

https://twitter.com/herszenhorn/status/1606052421498650624

That's doubtful. He's been very careful to avoid calling it a war for 9 months. It is effectively illegal to call it a war, and hundreds of people have been fined and/or driven out of the country for using the word "war." Given the howling response to it from the militant Russian bloggers, they certainly don't think it was a mere slip of the tongue.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Deteriorata posted:

That's doubtful. He's been very careful to avoid calling it a war for 9 months. It is effectively illegal to call it a war, and hundreds of people have been fined and/or driven out of the country for using the word "war." Given the howling response to it from the militant Russian bloggers, they certainly don't think it was a mere slip of the tongue.

What would be the point of him all of a sudden calling it a war other than to appease said bloggers? Russia hasn't issued a formal declaration of war

Edit: Here's some information from ISW regarding Putin using the term "war" instead of "special military operation". They claim that the milbloggers think the terms are interchangeable

ISW posted:

Putin’s use of the term “war” when regarding to the invasion of Ukraine has prompted some confusion within the Russian information space. Putin had stated during the press conference that Russia seeks to “not to spin this flywheel of a military conflict, but on the contrary - to end this war.” Putin used this word—war--instead of the phrasing “special military operation” when falsely accusing Ukraine of starting a war against its population in 2014. Putin’s mention of “war” prompted a few milbloggers to state that they have always used both terms interchangeably because “every thinking person knows that what is happening in Ukraine is a hot war,” despite the lack of an official declaration of war by Russia.[6] The confusion indicates that Putin’s limited war narrative may conflict with his presentation of the “special military operation” as a fight for Russia’s sovereignty while not being an official war.

https://understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-december-22

It also made me go back to that speech Putin made in September, and he specifically used the term "war" to describe what happened in 2014, and suggests (at least to me) that Putin could view the "special military operation" as part of the war.

Putin posted:

They turned the Ukrainian people into cannon fodder and pushed them into a war with Russia, which they unleashed back in 2014. They used the army against civilians and organised a genocide, blockade and terror against those who refused to recognise the government that was created in Ukraine as the result of a state coup.

After the Kiev regime publicly refused to settle the issue of Donbass peacefully and went as far as to announce its ambition to possess nuclear weapons, it became clear that a new offensive in Donbass – there were two of them before – was inevitable, and that it would be inevitably followed by an attack on Russia’s Crimea, that is, on Russia.

In this connection, the decision to start a pre-emptive military operation was necessary and the only option. The main goal of this operation, which is to liberate the whole of Donbass, remains unaltered.
http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/transcripts/69390

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 23, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Willo567 posted:

What would be the point of him all of a sudden calling it a war other than to appease said bloggers? Russia hasn't issued a formal declaration of war

I'd speculate that it's an insufficiently articulated distinction that, you see, a war is being waged against/forced upon Russia, which it benevolently meets with the special military operation, etcetera. That said, the man is also quite old, and has been slipping with consistent usage of "the Ukraine" too, accidentally referring to it like to a real country a few times, so it could be just that.

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I'd speculate that it's an insufficiently articulated distinction that, you see, a war is being waged against/forced upon Russia, which it benevolently meets with the special military operation, etcetera. That said, the man is also quite old, and has been slipping with consistent usage of "the Ukraine" too, accidentally referring to it like to a real country a few times, so it could be just that.

I hadn't realized he was 70 till now. Without knowing Russian and always hearing an English translator during speeches, I hadn't picked up those queues.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

RockWhisperer posted:

I hadn't realized he was 70 till now. Without knowing Russian and always hearing an English translator during speeches, I hadn't picked up those queues.

He does sound quite normal usually, besides a moderate Zuckerberg-style “how do you do, fellow humans” vibe, but I don’t think that he can simply ignore his age either. Additionally, he’s clearly not fond of sticking to the scripts his speechwriters try to give him.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Countries don't really declare wars these days, except against abstract concepts like drugs or terror. The W-word carries so many notions in national and international legislation and psychologically, that it's best to avoid it.

Like for instance, Finnish politicians never used the W-word of our involvement in the NATO operation in Afghanistan, despite despite Finnish soldiers being in constant military engagements for years. No, it was an international security assistance operation!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Every American military adventure had a silly name that military personnel and government officials used but they did not throw a censorship shitfit every time a public figure said "war" out loud - meanwhile Russia has cultivated both active and passive censorship, making everyone say SMO like they are undercover agents.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1605700250953342977

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Couldn't have happened to a better man. S dnem rozhdeniya! :toot:

e: fwiw here's BBC's report on it
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64063046

"Tsar's Wolves", ughhhh :rolleyes:

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Dec 23, 2022

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

Every American military adventure had a silly name that military personnel and government officials used but they did not throw a censorship shitfit every time a public figure said "war" out loud - meanwhile Russia has cultivated both active and passive censorship, making everyone say SMO like they are undercover agents.

In a normal democracy government has limited means to control public discourse. Russian state and media have been engineered by Putin and his siloviks to avoid such defects.

Putin otoh can say 'war' all he wants, the system is designed for him, not against him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
https://mobile.twitter.com/themattdimitri/status/1605967960845287424

Wow this guy still don't miss!! Excellent analysis and understanding of reality. Truly a Realist, unlike us starry eyed idealistic sheeple, who got some growing up to do.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)