Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Ok I've experienced -23⁰ now can the weather be ok again please thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

stay safe texan goons

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Inspector Hound posted:

Take off to the great white north

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

yippeekiyaymf posted:

I planned ahead, nerds.

have enough beer to last through the weekend. picked up my prime rib for Christmas Eve. made someone else do the last minute grocery shopping for me. after I finish working from home, it’s vacation time filled with baking and eating and drinking without leaving the house and no family other than the husband and our cat because I want to enjoy the holidays without pedantic arguments.

and being in the frigid north, I’m not too worried about pipes freezing.

but I also pay attention to weather reports and plan accordingly.

also, haha Texas.

All I need to do is grab some tequila on the way home

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

8 cars abandoned at the side of the road, just in my direction from the airport into town. I thought people out here had block heaters and warmed their cars before driving / stations had winter fuel mix, so I don’t know what to make of it other than -40 is cold. Way colder than people who have been skating by without precautions realize.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Inspector Hound posted:

- 23? We don't even cancel school for that.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

- 23? We don't even cancel school for that.

My mustache froze when I ran out to the car to grab what turned out to be a rock hard granola bar

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Take off to the great white north

Hey wait a minute doesn't this mean "gently caress off" in Wisconsin

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Inspector Hound posted:

My mustache froze when I ran out to the car to grab what turned out to be a rock hard granola bar

Hey wait a minute doesn't this mean "gently caress off" in Wisconsin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jm4LoOaAWI

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

tater_salad posted:

stay safe texan goons

texas goons are all hat and no cattle

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

I have been in blizzards, and I have been in -40° weather, but I have never been in a -40° blizzard. That is just bad on top of bad

I thought when it got cold enough it couldn't snow, guess I'm wrong

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

actionjackson posted:

I thought when it got cold enough it couldn't snow, guess I'm wrong

As it gets colder aloft you just get higher liquid-to-volume ratios and the snow gets fluffier, but I've seen snow in -20 degree weather.

I usually love big snows but this one is scary. 60mph winds with sustained single-digit/sub-zero lows is dangerous. First you lose power and then the wind pulls the heat out of your house. At that point the snow is just a confounding factor.

I read a story a while ago about a guy in a trailer park during the blizzard of 1978. He had to hide in an interior closet in winter gear and use candles for warmth...for like 48 hours straight.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SchrodingersCat posted:

I usually love big snows but this one is scary. 60mph winds with sustained single-digit/sub-zero lows is dangerous. First you lose power and then the wind pulls the heat out of your house. At that point the snow is just a confounding factor.

:same:

I'm not at all looking forward to the next couple of days, and I love snow.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

i cannot fathom living in a trailer in arctic conditions, they're built to the lowest quality standards possible, insulation is a suggestion so I can imagine absent power they'll get cold real quick.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Well I certainly wish I had ear muffs

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Inspector Hound posted:

Well I certainly wish I had ear muffs

oh take off, ya hosehead

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Floor is lava posted:

texas goons are all hat and no cattle

hey i got my herb garden inside

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

tater_salad posted:

i cannot fathom living in a trailer in arctic conditions, they're built to the lowest quality standards possible, insulation is a suggestion so I can imagine absent power they'll get cold real quick.

I've heard from a few people that they're built with better insulation for places like Alaska.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
are people still freaking out over normal winter weather?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Imagine being such a namby pamby you think -23F is cold. Welcome to winter in the mid-west :smug:

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
just saw 3 people turn their vehicles into carnival rides briefly on the road over the course of 2 miles so i think ill stay inside

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

SchrodingersCat posted:

blizzard of 1978

"Bomb Cyclone" and "Cleveland Superbomb" sounds like street fighter moves

weather.com posted:

B​omb Cyclone Perspective

We mentioned earlier that this winter storm could become a bomb cyclone.

A​s a rule of thumb, meteorologists refer to a strengthening low as "bombing out" or undergoing bombogenesis if its minimum surface pressure drops by at least 24 millibars in 24 hours or less, though that criteria also depends on a storm's latitude.

Meteorologists frequently discuss pressure in terms of millibars, rather than inches of mercury.

The reason this all matters beyond just a geeky statistic is the lower the pressure in a storm, the more intense it is. And the greater difference in pressure over an area, the stronger the winds.

(​MORE: What Is A Bomb Cyclone?)

W​inter Storm Elliott has the potential to plunge to a pressure that could threaten December low-pressure records in the Great Lakes, according to data compiled by NOAA Weather Prediction Center meteorologist David Roth.

F​or now, the latest ensemble model forecasts do not bring Elliott's low to the level of what is considered the all-time low-pressure record – the so-called "Cleveland Superbomb" of late January 1978.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

"bombogenesis" holy gently caress

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
its winter it’s supposed to be cold

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
It's pouring rain in Philly right now and the temperature is rising. It will peak in the mid-upper 50's between 1 and 3 am tonight. In the 22 hours after that it will plunge about 45 degrees. Weather is happening. Weird weather.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Koirhor posted:

Usually it gets cold at night and warm in the day but now the opposite is happening. What's next?? Shoes on my hands??

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Shoes on your hands was always an option

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Usually it gets cold at night and warm in the day but now the opposite is happening. What's next?? Shoes on my hands??

i think the speeding cold front is pushing the warm air into space/times it otherwise would not be

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Bip Roberts posted:

are people still freaking out over normal winter weather?

it's an extreme cold due to a polar vortex, which is something that only started happening in the last 10-15 years due to climate change

so if you want to call that normal uhhhh

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

smoobles posted:

"bombogenesis" holy gently caress

love to see a new word here. I’m a lucky guy!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

actionjackson posted:

it's an extreme cold due to a polar vortex, which is something that only started happening in the last 10-15 years due to climate change

That's how all of this will be processed, just like wildfire seasons are normal now, covid waves are normal, droughts are normal.

Something something liberals eternal present.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

actionjackson posted:

this is the breakdown of the polar vortex. this is what it looks like when there is no polar vortex. thats the new part. the polar vortex is normal and is what helps keep cold air over the arctic (and Antarctic). climate change is destabilizing the system so we get more of these big blobs of escaping cold air

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Koirhor posted:

Stable cold? Yes. -40F drops in 3 minutes? No

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

love it when i refresh weather.com and the background turns crimson

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

this is the breakdown of the polar vortex. this is what it looks like when there is no polar vortex. thats the new part. the polar vortex is normal and is what helps keep cold air over the arctic (and Antarctic). climate change is destabilizing the system so we get more of these big blobs of escaping cold air

LOCK IT UP!

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

RandomBlue posted:

LOCK IT UP!

lock it up lock it in let me begin

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

the polar vortex didn't properly secure their low pressure jet streams

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Oglethorpe posted:

"Bomb Cyclone" and "Cleveland Superbomb" sounds like street fighter moves

One forecast has the low as ~5 standard deviations lower in pressure than average and the nearby high pressure system as ~3.5 standard deviations above the average.

That's going to make for some gnarly wind speeds. Buffalo/Rochester might see gusts up to 75 MPH. SE MI might get some gusts as high as 60. Even if there is no snow, that wind combined with the cold is going to gently caress stuff up.

What's even worse is the possibility that snow will fall before the cold front passes, melt, and then flash freeze into unmeltable ice. IIRC road salt only works down to like 20 degrees. The roads will be unpassable and work crews won't go up in cherry pickers in sustained winds, so repairs likely won't even start until late Saturday AM.

It's gonna be a mess. Hopefully the event isn't as bad as the models indicate.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

SchrodingersCat posted:

It's gonna be a mess. Hopefully the event isn't as bad as the models indicate.

Yeah and one of the issues is the rain prior to the front means you can't even pre-salt anything, and if it gets too cold (below 15°f) salt will do nothing as well.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

tater_salad posted:

Yeah and one of the issues is the rain prior to the front means you can't even pre-salt anything, and if it gets too cold (below 15°f) salt will do nothing as well.

And most municipalities don't stock the kind of brine that can melt down to 0 degrees because of cost. I don't think anywhere in Michigan outside of the far-northern lower peninsula and Upper Peninsula bothers with it. Lower Michigan might be a sheet of ice until the 27th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
PREPARE YOUR ANUS FOR BOMBOGENESIS, FOOLS!