Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Rationale posted:

You ever hear the one about the guy who drops five bucks in the shitter so he throws in a 20 because he doesn’t wanna get in the shitter for five bucks

:dafuq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

It's a dumb joke, but it also works as a way to illustrate the meaning of "throwing away good money after bad"

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Rationale posted:

You ever hear the one about the guy who drops five bucks in the shitter so he throws in a 20 because he doesn’t wanna get in the shitter for five bucks

Albert Einstein? Sure, I've heard of him.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Rationale posted:

We’re reading in real time your posts about throwing money in the shitter yes.

Though at this point I’m convinced this is a troll.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Finally finished reading this entire thread. I stopped keeping track of the best posts like 10 pages in because there were just so many.

I'm convinced that OP is a very good troll, who is partly telling the truth but is deliberately embellishing the bad stuff.

That backyard wrestling championship belt tho

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

https://imgur.com/a/XD2tB0j

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat
Guys, it can't be a troll, Rationale drew up plans! There's a kitchen rectangle and a dining room rectangle! You just need to add 200 customers/day to the plan and you're done.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Throw some maple icing and a strip of bacon on that and I'll buy a dozen

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
... are you allowed to actually have just one shitter in the back of the kitchen if you have a "dining area"?

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
That’s just a scale drawing of the building as it is right now.

I think like 6000 people live within a ten minute drive

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Rationale posted:

That’s just a scale drawing of the building as it is right now.

Just need 3% of the entire population coming to your store every single day.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Rationale posted:

Hopefully they’re as famished as they are impoverished.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

OP just needs a gimmick, I grew up next to the Amish Door Restaurant in Wilmot, Ohio where the town had a little under 300 people and it's still around.

What's in your part of Ohio that can bring tour busses to you?

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Volmarias posted:

... are you allowed to actually have just one shitter in the back of the kitchen if you have a "dining area"?

It's legal in my blue state, Dem-leaning county, I'm sure it's fine. I don't think a customer bathroom is required if a place is below a certain size, even if there's a dining area

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

jemand posted:

Just need 3% of the entire population coming to your store every single day.

Yeah that’s what I’m saying because nobody ever passes through town there’s guys at the off-ramps with a bunch of guns and cocaine making sure

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

what percentage of daily revenues do you expect to be from drifters and tourists just passin' through

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Rural poverty Ohio is a hotbed of tourists looking for donuts at random highway exits it’s true

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I know that when this joint opens up I am gonna make a pilgrimage

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I drive 34 minutes to work the average is like 27 and almost one in ten commutes is an hour or more

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Rationale posted:

I drive 34 minutes to work the average is like 27 and almost one in ten commutes is an hour or more

do you stop to get coffee and a donut everyday? does it take more than 30 seconds?

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I’m makin brioche where’s all my haters at

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Rationale posted:

I’m makin brioche where’s all my haters at

how's it turning out bud

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
It’s rising nicely and then I’m gonna punch it down and put it in the fridge overnight

Then I’m gonna roll it into a bunch of little spheres and proof it

Then I’m gonna fry it and fill it with cream or something

As of right now I’m worried I wasn’t stringent enough with the windowpane test

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
this would be a nice story of a man learning to bake if not for the business part

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Business is whatever keeps you busy

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Rationale posted:

only if you're VC-backed

I'm gonna have to figure out some kind of mod challenge for the business aspect of this thread eventually

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Rationale posted:

Grindset

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Rationale posted:

If you don't charge for it, it's a hobby.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

pmchem posted:

only if you're VC-backed

I'm gonna have to figure out some kind of mod challenge for the business aspect of this thread eventually

There's no business aspect to challenge yet. The best business plan in the world isn't gonna help if it relies on a building, and the building is unusable. I would ask for monthly interior shots, but I'm not sure that needs your internet authority

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Epitope posted:

There's no business aspect to challenge yet. The best business plan in the world isn't gonna help if it relies on a building, and the building is unusable. I would ask for monthly interior shots, but I'm not sure that needs your internet authority

A business plan doesn’t include startup costs and timeline for converting the building into something usable and acquiring the other assets needed to operate?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

LeafHouse posted:

A business plan doesn’t include startup costs and timeline for converting the building into something usable and acquiring the other assets needed to operate?

Have you considered Vibes, the low effort, great tasting alternative to Plan

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

Merry Christmas, Rationale. Thanks for a very entertaining thread. I hope your donut dreams come true and you can lord it over us all.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Right on, heres to 2023 being the year of the donut

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Joyful seasons everyone

The brioche was delightful. Easy to work with and it proofed up really nicely. Also there wasn’t any wasted dough. The doughnuts were shaped by push/pinching them until there was a round side and then setting them ugly side down to proof. If I were doing this at scale I’d take pk’s advice about a dough divider because same-sized chunks of dough don’t always make the same sized doughnut.

Anyway I couldn’t find my thermo so I ended up frying them shits a capella and I only wasted like a sixth of them before they started coming out nice. Most of them had the pretty proof ring and just one doughnut got greasy/soggy.

Then I shot em full of chocolate cream which was halfway butter before I gave up on a smooth mixture. Nobody noticed the lovely filling and everyone told me they loved the dough

Obviously there are downsides in needing refrigeration as well as 10 eggs and 3 sticks of butter in like 27 doughnuts but brioche is pretty easy and very good so I’m gonna gently caress around with brioche instead of buttermilk now.

The silver lining to all the extra dough expense is the opportunity to work with local farmers and be like “today we have Eli’s butter and bill’s eggs” maybe even flock and herd pics

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat
I would 100% eat a brioche donut filled with chocolate cream, that sounds very tasty.

Also, I know there's no way to calculate what it costs to make a donut or how much to sell it for, but butter has apparently gotten more expensive lately. This article describes a bakery in Amherst, Ohio having to pay $3.50/pound for butter compared with $2.00/pound from last year.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Len posted:

OP just needs a gimmick, I grew up next to the Amish Door Restaurant in Wilmot, Ohio where the town had a little under 300 people and it's still around.

What's in your part of Ohio that can bring tour busses to you?

The site of the donut mass murderer that made donuts from people?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Giraffe posted:

I would 100% eat a brioche donut filled with chocolate cream, that sounds very tasty.

Also, I know there's no way to calculate what it costs to make a donut or how much to sell it for, but butter has apparently gotten more expensive lately. This article describes a bakery in Amherst, Ohio having to pay $3.50/pound for butter compared with $2.00/pound from last year.

If you’re not making enough just sell more donuts spreadsheet nerd. Business is easy if you don’t overthink it.

forcedstealthlevel
Jun 26, 2021
Just imagining all the people in bumfuck Ohio craving farm-to-table doughnuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

OP already has a tractor, all he needs is some wheat seeds and land now