Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Any get rich quick scheme has a place here, especially if it involves the tax code!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

laxbro posted:

Based on my sample size of two, rich people buy wineries to provide easy employment for their grown children that can’t hold down office jobs.

lol this is the case in the one winery owner I know.

ARTPUP
Jun 7, 2013

Congrats to anyone who owns Madrigal Pharmaceuticals (MDGL) stock. Nice little jump today from good data on their NASH treatment...

Just finished some good books, "Greed, Lies and the Poisoning of America" by Gerald Posner shows the history of Pharma companies in America. Same writer who wrote "Case Closed" on the Kennedy Assassination.

"The Premonition" by Michal Lewis on the COVID pandemic and how the CDC dropped the ball. Always a good read with this writer.

"Warren Buffett Inside the Ultimate Money Mind" by Robert G. Hagstrom who also wrote "The Warren Buffett Way" was surprisingly informative and had a few new details on the old man. The book cover however is awful, I guess they hired somebody on fiverr.com to paint it. Oh well, in the future it will be just AI artists anyway!

Any thoughts on Google/Alphabet (GOOGL) for the long term? Stock fell down go boom and a lot of hype on the Chat AI site but I don't think Google is just going to sit on its hands on this. Methinks they are planning a new search engine with the AI, or at least I'd hope so. A good shake up, some layoffs might make this company more lean and mean for the future...

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hooray, waiting on MAXR has finally paid off since they launched their satellite announced being acquired for double what their price was last week lol

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

laxbro posted:

Based on my sample size of two, rich people buy wineries to provide easy employment for their grown children that can’t hold down office jobs.

They’re also really good at being loss making hobby farms that soak up profits from a family owned discretionary trust. Not sure if you have those in the US though

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Don't invest in vetures in an extremely crowded highly technical marketplace with no moat that lives and dies on the fickle whims of fancy customers who spit your product into a bucket and then destroy it with a mere 96 ranking in Wine Spectator Magazine

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Leperflesh posted:

Don't invest in vetures in an extremely crowded highly technical marketplace with no moat that lives and dies on the fickle whims of fancy customers who spit your product into a bucket and then destroy it with a mere 96 ranking in Wine Spectator Magazine

I don't see why you couldn't just dig out a moat. You've got gardening tools and stuff.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Pretty sure you can fill a moat with wine. By similar metrics, napalm production is a similarly defensible product

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah my CFA-to-the-Stars friend looked it over and said that preferred stock in a winery is "one of the worst investments of all time" but WVV is enough of a megabrand that it's "probably fine". Their value is propped up a bit by periodic rumors of various French wine families trying to buy them out so pinot noir can go back to being a French thing instead of PNW Juice. Neat, but whatever.

The thing that really kills it for me is that I'd have to go all the way to Turner, Oregon, any time I want to take advantage of it and hear somebody say "More wine, Mister Shareholder?"

Turner is a solid hour away from the Yamhill County cluster of wineries, and has views of the I-5 freeway instead of the beautiful landscapes in Dundee/Newberg which have tasting rooms every 500 feet

Hadlock I can see why you got interested in reading about Wine Biz - this is super interesting stuff. It's neat to see the differences in $$$ between the orgs that just grow acres of grapes & sell 'em to winemakers, compared to the actual winemakers, or the Big Boys who grow their own grapes AND make the wine AND have a 10,000 SF destination tasting room

Attached restaurants don't seem to be a common element though. It's almost weird how few food options there are on Highway 99 among all these places that sell alcohol? And gently caress-all for hotels, since the highest & best use for the land is either growing grapes, making wine, or pouring wine.

People go out there and sip wine from 10am to 5pm and then drive an hour back to Portland on an empty stomach? There MUST be an arrangement with the police not to pull people over for DUIs...

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Lol there are so many head on collisions around Dundee.

The big deal with WVV is branding. Willamette Valley has international cache amongst those in the wine know. That particular one is fine but definitely not distinctive

Girbot
Jan 13, 2009
Didn't realize we had so many fellow Oregoons in this thread.

This conversation made me want to check is WVW still had a deal going with Bumped then saw my email that Bumped was closing down today, RIP (again).

Coincidentally Bumped is Portland based.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Anyone here invest in preferred stocks? Paramount Global preferred, $PARAP, has 23% dividend yield. Obviously in the 'too good to be sustainable' category by that metric but has anyone looked into this sort of thing in the past? How do you properly value a high-div preferred?

https://www.nasdaq.com/market-activity/stocks/parap/dividend-history

edit: apparently PARAP is a mandatory convertible, semi interesting google doc linked in twitter thread here

https://twitter.com/senith/status/1531588320278761472

pmchem fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 22, 2022

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I want to keep shorting tsla, I just think the extended bear market and inevitability of ongoing regulation against self driving + alternative hybrids will catch up to the stock very fast, I know it's down a lot but still...

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Cramer time (the comments are gold)
https://twitter.com/jimcramer/status/1605670722176778240?s=20&t=iqd1awxOMc2_W7olP3kVfQ

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Beautiful.

https://twitter.com/RD_btc/status/1605698229307424771

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

AMD less than ten dollars away from being 66% down YTD :discourse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zptu4ph6-U E: FYI This is good advice

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 23, 2022

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Toalpaz posted:

AMD less than ten dollars away from being 66% down YTD :discourse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zptu4ph6-U E: FYI This is good advice

Yeah but it's not like NVDA or INTC are doing much better

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
not to take us back to the dark days of meme stocks, but i'm idly wondering if there's still room for a amc/ape arbitrage. even after today's pop, there's still quite the spread, and i don't see how the ape shares are materially different from the common stock besides being more obviously bullshit

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
My uncle’s failed fruit winery went from “novel” to “garbage bin” as growth slowed and they started using fruit syrups instead of actual fruit to cut costs. They ended up banned from import to China for false labelling which sunk the remaining business.

My main memory of the product is vomiting lovely fluorescent strawberry wine at a dorm party. I also remember not having drunk enough of it to justify being that sick.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

wynott dunn posted:

My uncle’s failed fruit winery went from “novel” to “garbage bin” as growth slowed and they started using fruit syrups instead of actual fruit to cut costs. They ended up banned from import to China for false labelling which sunk the remaining business.

My main memory of the product is vomiting lovely fluorescent strawberry wine at a dorm party. I also remember not having drunk enough of it to justify being that sick.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

not to take us back to the dark days of meme stocks, but i'm idly wondering if there's still room for a amc/ape arbitrage. even after today's pop, there's still quite the spread, and i don't see how the ape shares are materially different from the common stock besides being more obviously bullshit

No borrow available and the options have largely priced in the expected move. :(

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Stupid bet on a move between now and new years. I think vol is priced pretty low and I'm a bear. Laugh at me! Despise me.

ARTPUP
Jun 7, 2013

Bought another 30 shares of Magnachip (MX) @$8.75 on Friday. Selling below book with around $5 in cash/share and little debt. Buyout still an option for 2023...

Interesting to see Areojet Rocketdyne (AJRD) bounce back up with news of L3Harris wanting to buy them for $58/share. Should have kept some shares... ah well. Lets see if Senator Elizabeth Warren kills this deal too!

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Tech stocks got hosed over the last year on the whole. Is there any indication of what will happen in 2023? Things like L&G's Global Technology Index tracker have been interesting to watch as they roll down the hill a good 40-50% from their peak at end of last year.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
I expect 2023 to be even crazier than 2022, with a wild mix of pukes and bounces for the markets. January and February might be an unmitigated blood bath though.

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat
2022 was the year where the market did what many expected a lot of the time. See 200 dma almost perfectly capping off the last 2 rally attempts.

It seems like everyone expects Q1 bloodbath. Starting to wonder if everyone is a bear. Does 2023 also go how the majority expects?

Starting to wonder if it might be worth a shot at some cheap upside convexity.

Frequent Handies
Nov 26, 2006

:yum:

Pastrami posted:

It seems like everyone expects Q1 bloodbath. Starting to wonder if everyone is a bear. Does 2023 also go how the majority expects?

https://www.aaii.com/sentimentsurvey, currently 52.3% bearish with the year high at 60.1% on 9/21.

https://www.aaii.com/sentimentsurvey/sent_results

Sentiment seems to be pretty bearish overall, certainly near the higher end for 2022 and quite a week over week jump.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

pmchem posted:

Anyone here invest in preferred stocks? Paramount Global preferred, $PARAP, has 23% dividend yield. Obviously in the 'too good to be sustainable' category by that metric but has anyone looked into this sort of thing in the past? How do you properly value a high-div preferred?

Real talk!

Tell me how you get information quickly/concisely about odd stock or company share structures?

I literally can't find anything on the usual sites about how PARAP works in depth.

I learned that it is a mandatory convertible preferred share, which exists to act like a kind of bond. I know it has about 4-5 dividends left until it becomes PARA. (April 1st 2024) I also learned that these types of shares exists in the american market as an alternative to coco bonds (contingent convertible) bonds. They both exist to give the company less risky funding for times of financial stress but the preferred share has less risk to the investor, because coco bonds will just be written off in times of crisis (company falls below a threshold of value and they're automatically worthless) and you might be able to sell your share for something before that happens.

Anyways, why is it so hard to find the conversion date? Why can't you find 'mandatory convertible share' in any of it's stock listings or info pages (even in ibkr). Why can't you find out the premium you pay for PARAP over PARA online?

I believe it converts at 1 to 1, and the difference in price is the difference in dividend payouts. People will arb it if the gap is greater or smaller than it should be. There's some kind of curve, and it acts like a bond in that respect, but it's hard to research and I couldn't know.

There are market watch articles that describe selling calls covered calls on PARA as more effective yield with better upside (para pays out 1/5 of parap dividend which is nothing to sniff at).

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Toalpaz posted:

Real talk!

Tell me how you get information quickly/concisely about odd stock or company share structures?

I literally can't find anything on the usual sites about how PARAP works in depth.

I know, I know that this sounds pedantic, but!

This is literally the kind of thing that the Securities Act of 1933 is meant to help you with. You should read the prospectus on the SEC's website.

Here it is:
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/813828/000119312521094660/d54206d424b5.htm

I know this might seem intimidating but it is absolutely the sort of thing you need to familiarize yourself with if you want to get involved with some of the more unusual or exotic public securities.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Agronox posted:

I know, I know that this sounds pedantic, but!

This is literally the kind of thing that the Securities Act of 1933 is meant to help you with. You should read the prospectus on the SEC's website.

Here it is:
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/813828/000119312521094660/d54206d424b5.htm

I know this might seem intimidating but it is absolutely the sort of thing you need to familiarize yourself with if you want to get involved with some of the more unusual or exotic public securities.

i went through all of edgar in my defence!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know poo poo!!!!!!!!!

E: also thank you!!

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Dec 26, 2022

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat
It’s okay toal. To be fair it’s not written in Canadian!

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Has anyone seen masterworks. They are creating fractional shares in artwork lol.

Please tell me how to invest in NFTs but only in acrylics please.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

pseudanonymous posted:

Has anyone seen masterworks. They are creating fractional shares in artwork lol.

When I worked in retail brokerage we'd frequently get penny stock physical certificates and sometimes they were so bad they wouldn't even be worth the fee to move them to electronic trading. It would be better/save the client more money to simply shred the certificate.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

pseudanonymous posted:

I've actually made a pretty good chunk with them, and not just numbers on the screen. In the year I've played around with their marketplace, they did sell 2 paintings I had shares of and returned money to my bank account. Doing a lot better than my amazon and apple stock, that's for sure. Buying shares of warhols and monets and whatnot isn't exactly like dumping money into an NFT, but sure, you should do your due diligence. Last I checked auction records, they are buying and selling the actual paintings, for what they said they are.

They have some shady marketing stuff going on, and tactics to try to "upsell" people into putting more money in than they actually should, but it doesn't seem to be an actual scam. As always, your mileage may vary, and my risk tolerance for poo poo like this is higher than most. I'm not advocating for them, but I always like getting into random stuff I can trade. They did just change their entire secondary marketplace trading engine, so kind of gutted the volume on it for now.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

:lol: at TSLA today

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Cacafuego posted:

:lol: at TSLA today

-800B for the year. Elon closing out strong

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Long article on masterworks, definitely some issues, exacerbated by the incoming recession.

https://www.artnews.com/list/art-news/news/what-is-masterworks-fractional-art-finance-company-1234651524/scott-lynn-out-of-step/

I might try to pull out my initial investment and slow down here.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Reading "The New Trading for a Living" and so far it feels a lot less scam-y than "Trading in the Zone". The very first chapter suggests new traders seek Gambler's Anonymous programs to find help.

Despite how loosely traders and sports people use the concept of 'Psychology'.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
After losing 75% of it's value TSLA's P/E is still 35. If it drops another 75% it would be a good value investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
I’m guessing that the Tesla brand is irreparably damaged and that sales will decline until Musk steps down or sells the company.