Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Asgerd posted:

Or for other Image stuff, That Texas Blood is loving excellent. The finest role Sam Elliott never played.

I didn't mention, but one of the reasons I'm looking for some new stuff to read is because I've got a plane ride coming up ... to Texas.

So this is pretty much perfect, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

McFarlane talking McFarlane's Spawn, all the Spawns, this is ASMR

https://twitter.com/McFarlaneComics/status/1587123563978362882?s=20&t=ci_cFwNjKe2-bpu-Vv331g

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Do A Powerbomb is SO loving GOOD and I'm both sad and satisfied that it'll be ending next month.

Looking forward to the in-ring debut of actual god in heaven next month after he no-showed his tag match with Shawn Micheals all those years ago.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Can't wait to read that book, Murder Falcon looks cool too.

Any takes on the Radiant Black supermassive books and stuff? Lotta spin-offs, there was Radiant Red, now Inferno Girl Red etc. That's a lotta red. The silver ranger is always hype in Sentai.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I picked up the new Jason Aaron book Once Upon a Time at the end of the World and it feels like it's trying so hard to capture BKV/Saga vibes. It's cute tho

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I can see that comparison. It's cute and the art is great, so I'm gonna stick with it. Hopefully he has an endpoint to it.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Picked up 20th Century Men #4 and Briar #2 this week. Both excellent. 20th Century Men in particular is such a dense, special read it takes me a long time to get through each issue and I love it. It reminds me of the best, weirdest parts of Metal Gear Solid.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Do A Powerbomb wrapped up this week with an awesome finale. I didn't think a comic about a demonic wrestling tournament could make me tear up, but here we are. Also love that god's finishing move is the one-winged angel.

McGurk posted:

Picked up 20th Century Men #4 and Briar #2 this week. Both excellent. 20th Century Men in particular is such a dense, special read it takes me a long time to get through each issue and I love it. It reminds me of the best, weirdest parts of Metal Gear Solid.

I'm enjoying both too. Cantwell is developing into one of my favourite writers and 20CM is a lot to chew on, as you mention, but very interesting.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay so, Outer Darkness. Did season 2 ever get started? i.e. post mutiny / ship stealing?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

Okay so, Outer Darkness. Did season 2 ever get started? i.e. post mutiny / ship stealing?

It was canceled, and John Layman is very disheartened and disappointed about how that all went down.

But don't miss the Chew/Outer Darkness crossover.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats VERY sad news :(

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

How does this wiki know this obscure Ninja Turtles character is 5'9 and 140 lbs? It is mysterious to me. Yes I've been surfing the Turtleverse.

https://turtlepedia.fandom.com/wiki/Cherubae_(Archie)

How awesome does Stan Sakai's next Usagi/Turtles crossover look?

https://comicbook.com/comics/news/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtlesusagi-yojimbo-wherewhen-crossover-stan-sakai/

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Poor ol' Heavy Metal. Is this your first day on the internet?

It's from the TMNT sourcebook of course!

Which you would have known if you had reverse image searched the image on the wiki page

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hot drat, you're a super sleuth. I considered there being an Archie Turtles encyclopedia with all their minor characters vitals, but perished the thought. Good to know this info is strictly above board.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Heavy Metal posted:

How does this wiki know this obscure Ninja Turtles character is 5'9 and 140 lbs? It is mysterious to me. Yes I've been surfing the Turtleverse.

The Archie TMNT was wild. Eventually I think they got left alone aside from maybe being a source of toy ideas and basically did whatever. A fellow on Twitter did a fascinating deep dive on it. It still has some of the most irritatingly pointless character deaths I've ever seen.

https://twitter.com/Comrade_Bullski/status/1490434548198518787

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, I only had one random trade of it back in the day. Turtle history.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
The Archie series got progressively more and more wild. I remember reading the issue where a government agent tortures Michaelangelo with pliers when I was a kid.

edit:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

The Archie series got progressively more and more wild. I remember reading the issue where a government agent tortures Michaelangelo with pliers when I was a kid.

edit:

A lot more murder in the book than one might think. Also a super heavy environmental theme which, honestly, just seems prescient now.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
One thing I enjoy doing is showing my friends who aren't giant comic nerds the panel where time-traveling Future Raphael punches out Hitler.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Wanderer posted:

One thing I enjoy doing is showing my friends who aren't giant comic nerds the panel where time-traveling Future Raphael punches out Hitler.

That does rule. Him calling Hitler "perv" in that moment adds to the insanity.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Speaking of TMNT I've been reading the IDW stuff for the first time. City Fall was a great story and fun homage to the old Mirage series City At War storyline.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Very cool, looking forward to reading that. I'm on the Mirage run, have read the beginning of it a couple times over the years. Mainly going for the Eastman/Laird issues in the Ultimate Collections, plus a couple odds and ends.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

I was gifted two Scott Snyder trades, the first volumes of Nocterra and Undiscovered Country. I can't say I liked either one that much. Undiscovered Country is trying way too hard to say something Important and felt "random" in a bad way. Didn't like any of the characters. Nocterra was better in characterization and it has a cleaner premise. And I have to say that Tony Daniel's art doesn't bug me as much as it did on his Batman run. Not adding either book to my pull list, but if I see cheap issues/tpbs of Nocterra I'd probably grab them.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

First indie comic post of 2023, may your year be full of indie comics and whatnot! And that includes IDW comics about X-Files vs Sliders vs Mighty Max, which would be great.

Anybody have fav Brubaker and/or Phillips books? Thinking I'll finally dive into some of those. I've got a couple big Criminal books, first two of Reckless, and some from a Humble Bundle etc, they all look pretty solid. And any favs from the crime / noir genre in general?

Also, there was an Elephantmen / Strontium Dog crossover apparently, and I can not find it. But I did see the Elephantmen / Judge Dredd short. Also it's wild that Elephantmen is still going, but I just don't see anybody talking about it. But that's the case with a lot of indie comics, I'm happy it's still out there. That said, I haven't read any of it, I just have the books on the shelf and look into how it's doing every two years. I haven't read most of Strontium Dog either, but I did get the final tpb The Son by Wagner/Ezquerra. Comics backlog. :psyduck:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Heavy Metal posted:

Anybody have fav Brubaker and/or Phillips books? Thinking I'll finally dive into some of those. I've got a couple big Criminal books, first two of Reckless, and some from a Humble Bundle etc, they all look pretty solid. And any favs from the crime / noir genre in general?

I cannot recommend Velvet highly enough. Period thriller with the high concept of "What if Moneypenny was the real master spy?" and brilliant art by Steve Epting.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Heavy Metal posted:

My favorite of their collaborations was Sleeper, which was a Wildstorm series 20 years ago, so technically it is set in the DC Universe now. It's about a super-powered government agent who goes deep undercover in a supervillain/criminal/terrorist organization. When his handler is shot and left for dead, nobody else knows he's really one of the good guys, so he is trapped and has to do some evil things with evil people to survive.

There is a pretty important prelude to Sleeper called Point Blank, but Phillips didn't draw it. Still good, though.

After that, I love Reckless and Pulp, but you can't go wrong with any of their stuff. I thought Fatale was never as good after the first volume, and Incognito and The Fade Out remain pretty underrated.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Heavy Metal posted:

First indie comic post of 2023, may your year be full of indie comics and whatnot! And that includes IDW comics about X-Files vs Sliders vs Mighty Max, which would be great.

Destroy All Monsters is my favorite recent thing of the Brubaker/Phillips duo. It's the perfect combination of Brubaker's obsession with music and movies. And I love Jacob's Phillips colors, Reckless feels way less nihilistic than Criminal or Kill Or Be Killed thanks to this.

As for the crime genre, I tried getting into Lapham's stuff. Got Lodger but it was really mediocre. Then got a copy of Stray Bullets compendium and it was just completely bleak throughout and I lost interest after a few chapters.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dug out a page from Velvet now I'm not phoneposting:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I loved the heck out of Die (Kieron Gillen and Stephanie Hans's look into tabletop gaming). It looks like they left some space for more so that should be interesting to see although I'm pretty satisfied with it as-is. It's definitely going to be recommended to all my tabletop friends.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I liked Kill or Be Killed, but I read it month to month and probably reading it all at once (it's only 20 issues or so total) would probably be the better experience.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Terminally Bored posted:

Destroy All Monsters is my favorite recent thing of the Brubaker/Phillips duo. It's the perfect combination of Brubaker's obsession with music and movies. And I love Jacob's Phillips colors, Reckless feels way less nihilistic than Criminal or Kill Or Be Killed thanks to this.

As for the crime genre, I tried getting into Lapham's stuff. Got Lodger but it was really mediocre. Then got a copy of Stray Bullets compendium and it was just completely bleak throughout and I lost interest after a few chapters.

I was going to recommend Lapham’s Murder Me Dead and Silverfish but they’re even bleaker.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

ruddiger posted:

I was going to recommend Lapham’s Murder Me Dead and Silverfish but they’re even bleaker.

I expected great things from Lodger after reading the ecstatic blurb by Ed Piskor saying how Lapham is the smartest writer in comics and stuff. I love Piskor but he's a total edgelord at times and the comic was really nothing special. Even the art was weird, Lapham went for kinda weird faces compared to Stray Bullets, it was kinda difficult to know who's who from panel to panel.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Thanks for the Brubaker recs, sounds awesome. I've got the first volume of Velvet too, looks like a lot of cool stuff to dig into.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Rick posted:

I loved the heck out of Die (Kieron Gillen and Stephanie Hans's look into tabletop gaming). It looks like they left some space for more so that should be interesting to see although I'm pretty satisfied with it as-is. It's definitely going to be recommended to all my tabletop friends.

Hell no, Die is complete at 20 issues and should remain that way. The "dangling loose ends" are just a recognition that real stories never end.

Recommend away, though, it's very good - maybe even better than WicDiv.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Jedit posted:

Hell no, Die is complete at 20 issues and should remain that way. The "dangling loose ends" are just a recognition that real stories never end.

Recommend away, though, it's very good - maybe even better than WicDiv.

I'm not going to get out of my chair to verify but I'm pretty sure the deluxe hardcover says volume 1.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zachack posted:

I'm not going to get out of my chair to verify but I'm pretty sure the deluxe hardcover says volume 1.

If it's the version on Amazon with the black cover, it doesn't.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Jedit posted:

If it's the version on Amazon with the black cover, it doesn't.
Not on the front, but it does on the spine

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Book Two might be the RPG sourcebook but I wouldn't be surprised if Gillen revisited it down the line. Speaking of, I finally pulled Phonogram off my shelf and started it.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

There's no definite plans for a volume two at the moment, but basically yeah, he's open to it:
https://www.cbr.com/kieron-gillen-die-finale-interview/

quote:

You mentioned Die will have an open ending and there are still many more sides of the polyhedral world that we haven't seen. So there's a definite chance for a sequel?

Hopefully! Stephanie and I haven't murdered each other yet! [Laughs] I view Die almost the say way I look at Phonogram; it's a device to speak about things I'm interested in. And Die especially is a big fantasy world. There's a lot there, that Stephanie and I know, but we haven't explored yet. So there's certainly room. Plus, I think the RPG certainly shows things you can do with this plot, world, and energies.

So, I'm not going to say we'll definitely do one because life is very confusing, but there certainly is room to return to Die and that would be a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

ruddiger posted:

Stray Bullets is my favorite comic ever, and I think it’s actually pretty hilarious (the second arc is much funnier than the first)- but yes Lapham stuffs his books with heart-wrenching violence. Coincidentally, I was flipping through my SB back issues recently and came across this letter.